ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#261 » by Pattycakes » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:49 am

Norm2953 wrote:Hopefully Portland will win the only thing that matters which is to win the lottery but in reading the
draft board, it might be better to be picking 5 instead of 1.

Holland or Rissacher dude are really what I think can actually help us at that range anyway.

DA is our center of the future no matter how many people are ready to move on. So Sarr is just a luxury there.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#262 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:15 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:Hopefully Portland will win the only thing that matters which is to win the lottery but in reading the

Holland or Rissacher dude are really what I think can actually help us at that range anyway.

DA is our center of the future no matter how many people are ready to move on. So Sarr is just a luxury there.

Sarr is absolutley not a luxury. He has Evan Mobley like defensive tools. You dont pass that up because you have a borderline Top-15 C. We are nowhere near that point of team building.

On another note - Topic is back from injury and man, watching his first game back highlights the kid is a passing savant. His shot needs work but 88% FT bodes well for him building a 3PT in time. Wish he was 6'8 but sadly at 6'6-6'5 he likely isnt a fit with all the assets already spent on guards.

I think he goes to SAS and builds an generational PNR combo w/ Wemby. One that probably runs us out of the building for a decade plus even if we manage to rebuild into a respectable team. Just going to be life w/ Wemby in the West.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,854

Post#263 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:51 pm

Pattycakes wrote:

How much will DA want in a new extension? Would you want to pay DA $40+ million in a new extension?
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,539

Post#264 » by zzaj » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:34 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

Sarr is absolutley not a luxury. He has Evan Mobley like defensive tools. You dont pass that up because you have a borderline Top-15 C. We are nowhere near that point of team building.

On another note - Topic is back from injury and man, watching his first game back highlights the kid is a passing savant. His shot needs work but 88% FT bodes well for him building a 3PT in time. Wish he was 6'8 but sadly at 6'6-6'5 he likely isnt a fit with all the assets already spent on guards.

I think he goes to SAS and builds an generational PNR combo w/ Wemby. One that probably runs us out of the building for a decade plus even if we manage to rebuild into a respectable team. Just going to be life w/ Wemby in the West.

Yeah, Topic's passing in that clip looked like Jason Kidd. The scary thing is that San Antonio ran Wemby PnRs this season...with Wemby not being the screener. Teams will 100% be trying to find incredibly mobile 7'+ players just to try and stay in front of Wemby for the next 10 years.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#265 » by Blazinaway » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:48 pm

Norm2953 wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

How much will DA want in a new extension? Would you want to pay DA $40+ million in a new extension?

If Blazers were stupid enough to offer DA the Max I am done as a Blazer fan, I can only take so much stupid
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#266 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:09 pm

This is a draft devoid of any player developing into a star player but has lots of guys who will
be good rotation players, a draft full of Jaime Jacquez's types. Blazers might pick a Filipowski
with the 14th pick and he'll do fine as another Kelly Olynyk, a big who will play for the next
10-12 years averaging 10 ppg
Walton1one
Ballboy
And1: 17

Post#267 » by Walton1one » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:54 pm

While this draft may be lacking\devoid? of star\franchise level talent, I am not inclined to believe there are not any future good\great? NBA players to be found. I have seen too many drafts where a player was picked late 1st/2nd, heck undrafted and ended up being a good\great NBA player. I do think there are some intriguing players in this draft, whom, if their ceiling is reached could be better than advertised.

Nor do I think POR can afford to punt on this draft (or any picks for that matter). I think Cronin said it in his exit interview, more than anything else this team needs talent, and while star level talent may not be there, the more swings that POR can take\hit on good talent, means more players\assets to utilize to eventually trade for such a player, IMO.

Also, I certainly don't think having 14 players under contract is a reason to sell draft picks off for marginal value. I am hoping that Cronin plans on offloading some of the veteran players taking up roster space for hopefully something of value, even if it is not optimal.

As for who\what POR should be looking at in this draft. I think they need shooting, rebounding, a PF archetype, the jury is still out on Murray (did not look good IMO, but only Y1) and Camara (had some moments) but neither screams future starting SF to me, so a SF should be looked at, and this draft has a fair amount of intriguing forwards. A back up big would also be ok, not a big need though IMO, I don't think they need to reach for that at #4 for sure.

I read an article talking about Scoot and what would help him with his development would be surrounding him with shooters, to ease pressure when he drives, clearly he needs to improve his shooting. I think his decision making will get better as he gets more experience, 19yr old PG in NBA is not easy. I think this team is lacking in shooting & scoring.

As for POR picks, at #4: Lots of wings available, probably not Sarr, whom if they can take, probably? should.

I could see any of these players making sense.

Risacher - Likely not there, has good size, is the shooting real? even if if ceiling is not reached, maybe a higher floor? Batum like contributor?

Buzelis - He should be there - Outside shooting was not there, yet he was Y1 in G-league, playing against pros, looked good in futures game. He has good size, is a versatile player\scorer, seems more of a team oriented player rather than alpha. Not sure what his ultimate ceiling is, someone mentioned Gordan Hayward?

Holland - He should be there - I can go either way about him. He can score, but is he just one dimensional (scorer only) or does he have more? There are some other good attributes often mentioned about him, hard worker, hustles, crafty scorer, plays defense. He put up points in G league, more of an Alpha (at least in G league) than Buzelis, the outside shot is concerning. Just not sure if he is a Rudy Gay like chucker or can be a go to scorer and contribute to team play. POR could use someone who can score when they need a basket though. Also, apparently he is more like 6'5, which makes me pause and consider...

Castle - Likely will be there, shooting is a concern, size\fit maybe a concern? I mean if Simons is dealt then adding another guard could work, a three guard rotation of Scoot\Castle\Sharpe is intriguing. He hustles, good defense, athletic, contributes to winning is the way I view him. Offense\shooting is the key, can it develop or is it what it is? Can't have 2 of that rotation struggle shooting.

Cody Williams should be there, I think he looks very fluid\skilled, he is just raw\skinny, injury did not help his development, I think he is several years away to becoming what he can be, but seems to have all the skills, POR can afford to wait on him, if you believe in his skillset. Would feel better if he was taken later 6-8

Stay away from: Dillingham Sheppard, Topic. With the caveat, unless they think Dillingham\Sheppard are the next Tyrese Maxey level of talent then I guess, but the fit IMO is not good, Topic is an intriguing player, but they have Scoot, Can't play\start both and IMO if you take Topic you are going all in on him and are dealing Scoot. IMO they need to give Scoot more time (a couple of years) to either show he is the guy or not, drafting another PG, unless you are 100% convinced they are a star level talent, just does not make sense to me. If they think Topic is that guy, then yeah you do it.

On the Fence: Clingan, not at #4, I guess he wouldn't be a terrible pick. Again, you have Ayton there for the forseeable future, I just don't think Clingan is so much more valuable than what you could pick\trade for later to justify a #4 pick.

At #14: I like Tyler Smith, I almost doubt he would be there at that pick, but he has good size, shooting, needs to work on defense, but he is 19. Needs time to develop obviously, but he showed well in G-league and has a nice overall skillset

I could see drafting Knecht if he is there? He can shoot, definitely a need for this team, likely more of an off the bench scorer type IMO? I don't think he will be there at #14 though

Others I like:
Da Silva - older, but he knows what he is, and can contribute elsewhere. Another guy who has good size, can shoot and also contribute in other ways. Definitely more of a role player, but I like him more than what I saw out of Murray this year, but there are some similarities there.

Salaun - He is Intriguing, very young, I know little about him.

Furphy - I think he could be a sleeper if he enters, a rangy wing, like Williams he will need time to develop, but he has good size, can shoot, has some bounce to his game.

2nd Round - Watching Brunson got me thinking, how many players from blue chip programs that fell to late 1st\2nd round ended up being way better pros? Specifically from blue chip (loaded) programs like UConn, UK, NC, Villanova

2018 - Brunson\Villanova, Vanderbilt\UK, Trent Jr\Duke - Late 1st - Allen\Duke
2019 - Late 1st: Johnson\UK
2020 - Late 1st - Maxey\UK, Quickley\UK
2021 - Late 1st: Johnson\Duke

Had me checking out guys like Harrison Ingram\NC, Edwards\UK, Jones\Marquette, Newton\UConn - Newton was a good player on a great team, yet is viewed as a mid 2nd rounder, same as Jones. Both Ingram & Edwards were highly touted high school players who did not show a ton in college. Ingram is older and had a good year, Edwards was a freshman and showed little, but again he played with Dillingham\Sheppard\Wagner\Ivisic\Bradshaw. maybe worth a 2nd round flyer if you think there is more than he showed?

Other players I thought were intriguing:
Pacome Diadet - Not sure what makes him less of a prospect than Salaun? Could be a draft\stash type. Looked intriguing from what I saw, size\athleticism wise
Carlton Carrington - very young guard, played well, would he likely be a higher pick next year?
Baylor Scheierman - can shoot, surprising passer, has limitations, but as an off the bench shooter, I could see him fitting
Oso Ighodaro - great size & intangibles, athletic, skinny, needs time to develop, but as a project big he is intriguing
tester551
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#268 » by tester551 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

You REALLY seem fixated on DA.... I don't get why it's such a problem. We have 2-full seasons to play before a decision even needs to be made. There is still plenty of time to allow this to play out.

Doesn't matter how much DA wants. It matters how much teams will offer him.

ASSUMING that DA doesn't improve from his current level - I can't see any team being willing to pay him more than ~$25M/yr.
IF there is a team that is willing to pay him more -> good luck to them.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#269 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 am

tester551 wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

You REALLY seem fixated on DA.... I don't get why it's such a problem. We have 2-full seasons to play before a decision even needs to be made. There is still plenty of time to allow this to play out.

Doesn't matter how much DA wants. It matters how much teams will offer him.

ASSUMING that DA doesn't improve from his current level - I can't see any team being willing to pay him more than ~$25M/yr.
IF there is a team that is willing to pay him more -> good luck to them.

Portland has to be thinking of how their roster should look in the next 1-2 years.

DA, Jerami and Ant are the highest paid Blazers with DA ($34 Million) Jerami (29.7) and Ant (25.8).

Those guys will all be putting up numbers with DA and Ant eligible to sign a new extension. At his age,
DA is not going to sign an extension for less money, if he's putting up numbers. It's all about salary
cap management for current salary projects a 21 win Blazers team to be a tax paying team
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,841

Post#270 » by cdubbz » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:06 pm

Walton1one wrote:2nd Round - Watching Brunson got me thinking, how many players from blue chip programs that fell to late 1st\2nd round ended up being way better pros? Specifically from blue chip (loaded) programs like UConn, UK, NC, Villanova

Had me checking out guys like Harrison Ingram\NC, Edwards\UK, Jones\Marquette, Newton\UConn - Newton was a good player on a great team, yet is viewed as a mid 2nd rounder, same as Jones. Both Ingram & Edwards were highly touted high school players who did not show a ton in college. Ingram is older and had a good year, Edwards was a freshman and showed little, but again he played with Dillingham\Sheppard\Wagner\Ivisic\Bradshaw. maybe worth a 2nd round flyer if you think there is more than he showed?

Pacome Diadet - Not sure what makes him less of a prospect than Salaun? Could be a draft\stash type. Looked intriguing from what I saw, size\athleticism wise
Carlton Carrington - very young guard, played well, would he likely be a higher pick next year?
Baylor Scheierman - can shoot, surprising passer, has limitations, but as an off the bench shooter, I could see him fitting
Oso Ighodaro - great size & intangibles, athletic, skinny, needs time to develop, but as a project big he is intriguing

Blazers have 2 high 2nd round picks this year. I looked at the past few 2nd round picks and man - only 1 or 2 players in each of the drafts really becomes an NBA player and the rest are gone within their rookie contract. I wonder if they go high ceiling raw talent or seniors with high floor/low ceiling type.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#271 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:58 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Walton1one wrote:2nd Round - Watching Brunson got me thinking, how many players from blue chip programs that fell to late 1st\2nd round ended up being way better pros? Specifically from blue chip (loaded) programs like UConn, UK, NC, Villanova

Blazers have 2 high 2nd round picks this year. I looked at the past few 2nd round picks and man - only 1 or 2 players in each of the drafts really becomes an NBA player and the rest are gone within their rookie contract. I wonder if they go high ceiling raw talent or seniors with high floor/low ceiling type.

I assume they will punt or consolidate at least one pick for roster reasons...

If he declares somebody like Perrin would be a great pickup. Ajay Mitchell has a little bit of ambitextrous Roy vibes to him, although he's listed at 6'5" and he looks more like 6'3" to me...
Walton1one
Ballboy

Post#272 » by Walton1one » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:57 pm

cdubbz wrote:Blazers have 2 high 2nd round picks this year. I looked at the past few 2nd round picks and man - only 1 or 2 players in each of the drafts really becomes an NBA player and the rest are gone within their rookie contract. I wonder if they go high ceiling raw talent or seniors with high floor/low ceiling type.

I agree it is a total crapshoot. I was a little encouraged LY with POR pick of Rupert, he is raw as heck, has a long way to go, but he has the tools to be a decent rotation\bench player if he keeps improving, which is more than you can ask for most 2nd round picks. Actually the last 2 years, POR has hit on 2nd round picks (Walker in 22'), so POR has some (recent) good history there.

I just look at Edwards\UK, Ingram\NC both of these guys were top high school recruits who generally under performed in college, there is a history of some success there.

With Newton\UCONN and Jones\Marquette, these are players who were top players on loaded\good teams who for one reason or another don't fit the ideal draft profiles, and yet they were highly successful, there is some history of success with those types of players as well.

I think some combination of both in the 2nd round makes sense to me. A project player like Ighodaro\Diadet\Carrington and then a flyer on a proven player who doesn't meet Draft ideals, yet showed solid performance in college, guys like Newton\Jones\Scheierman\Tyson (if he fell to 2nd)
Walton1one
Ballboy

Post#273 » by Walton1one » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:14 pm

zzaj wrote:
I assume they will punt or consolidate at least one pick for roster reasons...

If he declares somebody like Perrin would be a great pickup. Ajay Mitchell has a little bit of ambitextrous Roy vibes to him, although he's listed at 6'5" and he looks more like 6'3" to me...

I agree, likely they will, I just think that POR needs more talent, any way, any how. They need to take as many swings as they can and let the cream rise to the top. If they don't feel there is a player worthy of a flyer in the 2nd round (like LY if I recall) then sure punt the pick away and reset it for a future draft, but they should be taking as many swings as possible, particularly since, for POR, the draft is THE main avenue for them to improve.

I certainly wouldn't want to see them deal one of their 1st round picks (unless it was in a deal to receive another young player in a trade) and I don't think dealing up for Sarr? would be worth it either. One of the best parts about this draft IMO is that it is relatively flat, a real eye of the beholder type draft, where good scouting could make the difference, and the last few years POR has drafted rather well IMO.

Outside of Scoot\Sharpe\Ayton (not married to him either just unlikely he could be dealt for a return worth more than he gives) and a couple of still\will they developing prospects like Camara\Walker\Rupert\Murray, I don't think there are any other players worth keeping.

As for the rest of the players on the roster, they are either not good enough to move the needle and\or they don't fit the timeline. IMO POR is a few years away from even competing to make the playoffs, they need to embrace the suck, play the young guys, deal the vets for young players and\or future picks, keep drafting\trading for young players and build from there.

That means deal Brogdon & Thybulle, both of those should be no brainers, they have value to teams competing and are relatively inexpensive

Deal away Simons\Grant, aware that they are not going to fetch huge returns but a combination of a young player, expiring\short contracts and\or picks should be doable, just don't expect significant returns

Williams fits in this group as well, although they may be better off getting\keeping him healthy for the the 1st half of next year and look to deal him at the trade deadline.

Everyone else is insignificant IMO, Banton\Reath and anyone else.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,925

Post#274 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:05 pm

I just look at Edwards\UK, Ingram\NC both of these guys were top high school recruits who generally under performed in college, there is a history of some success there.

I think Edwards has just too much raw talent to fall out of the late R1 but if he is there at 33 I take him and run. Wouldnt bet on him panning out but he is 6'7, athletic and wasnt a bad shooter at all (36% 3 albeit low volume, 77% FT).
Ptownsblazin12
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#275 » by Ptownsblazin12 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:20 pm

One Kentucky kid that doesn’t seem to get talked about a lot because of his age but I like what he brings on the wing is Antonio Reeves. Averaged 20 ppg on a talented but underachieving roster, shot 51% from the floor, 45% from 3, and 80+% from FT. He’s 6’6” and seems to be a decent athlete. Doubt there is a roster spot for him but every time I watched Kentucky I was impressed with his off ball movement.
Walton1one
Ballboy

Post#276 » by Walton1one » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:06 pm

Ptownsblazin12 wrote:One Kentucky kid that doesn’t seem to get talked about a lot because of his age but I like what he brings on the wing is Antonio Reeves. Averaged 20 ppg on a talented but underachieving roster, shot 51% from the floor, 45% from 3, and 80+% from FT. He’s 6’6” and seems to be a decent athlete. Doubt there is a roster spot for him but every time I watched Kentucky I was impressed with his off ball movement.

Exact kind of player that seems to float under the radar and then flashes in the NBA. Nice article about him below.

https://www.noceilingsnba.com/p/dont-overthink-antonio-reeves
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,847

Post#277 » by The Sebastian Express » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:36 am

The more I watch of the Salaun the more I hope he's there with the WArriors pick if it stays 14.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#278 » by zzaj » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:37 am

The Sebastian Express wrote:The more I watch of the Salaun the more I hope he's there with the WArriors pick if it stays 14.

He and Perrin are going to be good NBA players…
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#279 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:59 am

There are fans of Salaun — and I do like him if he hits — and doubters make a solid case of if he’s going to hit.
However, at 14 — take the shot because if he hits he could be the best in the draft. Big IF.

Get more talent. Take BIG swings based on scouting. We’re going to need a bit of luck.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,847

Post#280 » by The Sebastian Express » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:00 am

zzaj wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:The more I watch of the Salaun the more I hope he's there with the WArriors pick if it stays 14.

He and Perrin are going to be good NBA players…

My only concern with him is his hips look super high? The way his body looks compared to others on the court seems.. weird. For lack of a better word. But maybe I'm imagining things.

But he looks like he's got such a motor and good strides, he's so young and already so fit and his shot form looks good in the video I've seen. And he looks like he has great instincts too.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers