ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#121 » by Goldbum » Sat Mar 9, 2024 1:57 am

In 5 years people are going to wonder how teams passed on Holmes.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#122 » by tester551 » Sat Mar 9, 2024 7:57 am

zzaj wrote:I'm actually REALLY curious how many of these picks are going to be kept this year...and it's a bad year for ditching picks. I don't really see the second rounders getting a roster spot over any of the current young players. Rupert seems like a project the Blazers are committed to. I'm not sure any of these rookies is going to provide more than Murray, Jabari, or Camara...I suppose drafting another switchable SG/SF so that Thybulle can be replaced shouldn't be too hard. No rookie is going to defend as well as him, but there probably are some that will contribute more offensively--so tradeoffs.

The Blazers have a glut right now of similar players with "potential" at the SF/PF switchable position, I'm not sure if they are going to add to that glut in this draft, seeing as there are unlikely any players that are going to overtake what the Blazer already have.

Basically, I'm just curious to see who the Blazers identify as "keepers" going into next season.

Players I'm intrigued by right now:

Salaun
Buzelis
Filipowski
Holmes
Ivisic

I really am intrigued by Comche, but there isn't that much footage of him. What I've seen, he looks shorter than 6'11" to me. He looks slow on offense, and his shooting form is a bit wonky with a slow release (it actually reminds me a little bit of Meyers') but that won't be as big a deal if he's a PF. There is obviously a ton of potential there though on both sides of the ball. He shows great defensive awareness as a help defender.

Portland has 14 players under contract for next season.

So, the # 5 pick replaces Moses Brown.
I think they'll keep the two second rounders and put them on 2-way contracts (replacing Minaya and Badji).

The big question is in the GSW pick. Trade it to Chicago for our pick back (view it as essentially a '26 pick ~#15-18 range)?

I think a bigger issue is that with the #5 pick, Portland will be into the tax by ~$5M. Add the #14 and it will be closer to ~$10M.

I've been looking at possible trades to get back under the tax line using Brogdon, Grant, and/or Thybulle. I can't seem to find a team that I think would guve up assets that we want (ie - future draft picks), while also being able to reduce Portland's cap total by >$10M.

The closest that I can come up with is Thybulle to Sacramento for a future ('25?) pick.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#123 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:21 am

[No special intell or insight from me ... just watching available video and reading up ...]

With the top lottery pick, it's a PF/C, PF/SF, or SF ... current order of preference:

Sarr (early play at PF in the League with back-up C)
Risacher or Williams (even for me at this time)

After that, in a reach at 5, Buzelis or Salaun have size and some skills with not-yets as well ... which are not selling points in a top 5 pick.

A fundamental difficulty in getting good information on height for anyone but Sarr. Buzelis is listed at 6'11 (presumedly in shoes) but also as low as 6'8. Holland from 6'6 to 6'8. I expect all of my favorites have enough positional size, but it's annoying.

Possibles with the Golden State pick are:

Furphy (with details on his backstory and quick growth in size and game ... compelling)
Knecht (bring in aggressive offense to replace Thybulle's defense and low to absent numbers)
Sheppard (long-term 6th man in the Steve Kerr role with better D) with Brogdon getting traded (and I expect Simons won't be in the starting line-up soon enough with Scoot and Sharpe ... traded by February)
Case2012
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,761

Post#124 » by Case2012 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:16 pm

I think Shepherd goes top 8. I would take him regardless of scoot, the kid is by far the best 3 and D guard in the NCAA right now. Take the BPA should be our approach obviously but I trust Mike Schmidt to make the right pick regardless of need.
https://youtu.be/puenTQWiX74?si=10-WweOQDqxDTFha
Instagram: @casetwelve
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#125 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:30 pm

Who on this board would trade Scoot for a team’s pick to get Reed Sheppard?

Players fit better in some places. Is Scoot’s game a better fit for the Blazers? IMHO, Sheppard will play plenty of PG in the NBA.
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#126 » by Case2012 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:24 am

I think Scoot will be a pretty decent back up pg. Reed looks like he'll be the same, but with way better offense and defense. I like his motor and confidence, and he backs it up with his insane efficiency. Yeah, I would trade scoot for a wing or a pick. Maybe package him with the 13th to move up and grab Matas or Flip?

Reed
Sharpe
Kris
Matas
???

I'd like to trade Simons, Scoot, Ayton, Grant,Brogdon, and Williams to completely bottom out and give all the playing time to the young core, so we can hopefully be bad enough for the first pick next year. Pick a direction already, we can't even tank right. We can probably get at least 5-6 picks for all those vets and the idea of Mike Schmidt having plenty of ammo in the draft is the only thing I could probably get excited over. We're bound to land a star if we have that many picks over the next few years. We'd be selling low on scoot but I think Shepard is just that good. Will it happen? No, obviously not but that would be the route I would go.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#127 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:53 pm

We are not trading Scoot. Not saying I am happy with his play but the team isnt cutting bait on a 3rd overall pick after 1 season.

On another note - I really like Jamir Watkins from FSU (Transfer from VCU). 6'7, really athletic, high motor, developing 3 (34% but 79% FT bodes well for development)

28mpg, 15.6ppg, 6rpg, 2.8apg, 1.9spg, 0.8bpg 46% SG, 34% 3PT, 79% FT

Not young, but I like him as a 3/D SF and would look at him w/ the ATL SRP if he falls (I think he is a riser - late FRP).
Case2012
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by Case2012 » Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:38 pm

Obviously we’re not selling low on the guy we drafted to replace Dame after his rookie year, but I just don’t think Scoot is a starter. his offense is horrendous. He’d have to become an all defensive team guy to make it as a starting PG in this league. If he can get his fouling under control i could almost see it, he has the size and speed.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#129 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:12 pm

O I agree. I have little hope Scoot becomes a star. I just don’t think we trade him.

We need to do a real tank for Flagg in 24/25. There are no true blue chips this year.

To think how different the franchise trajectory would be if we got #1. Sigh.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#130 » by JasonStern » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:18 pm

I am a completely biased but transparent homer and I really hope Portland uses their late second on N'Faly Dante. Which is why I know they will draft another 6'3" or shorter guard.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#131 » by Blazinaway » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:05 pm

Goldbum wrote:In 5 years people are going to wonder how teams passed on Holmes.

will the same be said of Zach Edey?
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#132 » by JasonStern » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:01 pm

Heartbroken about the Ducks loss. But you had a team that, at season end, only had 7 players losing in a double OT game against a #3 seed. That said, Dante and Couisinard are legit. I would be ecstatic if the Blazers used one of their late 2nds on either. Dante would probably have to switch to the 4 position to stick in the league, and probably tops out as a backup big man. Couisinard can shoot, but at 6'4" he is probably too tall for the Blazers. But damn! Did he not have a McCollum tier tournament run?
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer

Post#133 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:50 pm

The top college players in the tournament look like … why the Euros are 3 of the top 6. Knecht looks slender for now and a serious scorer. I don’t know what kind of D he’ll play after he works on an NBA body. If he’s there with the Warrior’ pick, take him.

The centers make Sarr look athletic … which he is. Taking a flier on guys like Ibou Badji is more miss than hit. [I’m liking Reath even more.] Zvonimir Ivisic looks pretty good getting up and down as an early 2nd rounder? Sure.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,416

Post#134 » by JRoy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:22 pm

I hope POR drafts Edey with the GSW pick.

Imagine a center that isn’t afraid of contact, will set a screen and can buy himself a mattress.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#135 » by Norm2953 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:11 pm

Interesting ESPN in their tourney NBA mock draft is listing Portland drafting Clingan at five
and Holland at 13.

Tankathon has Portland taking Dillingham at 5 which might be the capper of bad 2023-4 season.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#136 » by Blazinaway » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:44 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Interesting ESPN in their tourney NBA mock draft is listing Portland drafting Clingan at five
and Holland at 13.

Tankathon has Portland taking Dillingham at 5 which might be the capper of bad 2023-4 season.

I hope it's "LOL time" and Portland drafting a big who is already having foot issues!
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#137 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:50 pm

Y’all are crazy scoot and D Fox have the same rookie year.

Matas at 4-5 and Ware at 12-14 call it a wrap. We get front court depth and upside in Ware and we get AK47 2.0 in Matas who is easily better than Risacher if he made his threes this year he’s be the consensus #2 behind Sarr.

If somehow we get #1 get Sarr and draft a flyer like the guard from Duke if he falls. He could bulk up and play the 3.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#138 » by Norm2953 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:10 am

I'm always amused by the projections of Sarr to Detroit for a starting lineup with Sarr, Duren and
Ausar Thompson is as unplayable as adding another 6-3 guard to Portland.

It'll be interesting to see how high Edey goes with a strong tournament. They used to say you can't
coach size and guys like Edey would have been a top 3 pick in the 80's, going up against the Mark
Eaton's of the world
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#139 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:56 pm

Norm2953 wrote:Interesting ESPN in their tourney NBA mock draft is listing Portland drafting Clingan at five
and Holland at 13.

I am a Clingan guy, think he has elite defensive upside, but he isnt the guy for us.

Matas at 5 and Holland at 13 would be a killer draft IMO.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#140 » by GreenRiddler » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:49 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
and Holland at 13.

I am a Clingan guy, think he has elite defensive upside, but he isnt the guy for us.

Matas at 5 and Holland at 13 would be a killer draft IMO.

That’d be great but I doubt Matas is gonna be there at 5 we will have to hope the lotto balls get us to the top 3 as I think he’ll be the 2nd or 3rd pick. Has a chance to be the best player or will be at least the 2nd best player in his draft like Fran’s Wagner was.

Holland also won’t be available at the GS pick I just don’t see a guy that did what he did in the g league at 18 falling that low even with the shooting and ball handling questions marks he can be an elite defender at the 3.

I hope Clingan will be available at the GS pick and we can get one of Matas/Risacher/Holland/Sarr at the our pick as I think they’re the best players that also fit our roster.

If Clingan isn’t I hope we still go big and take a Flyer on like Yves or Ware

Return to Portland Trail Blazers