ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#81 » by DaVoiceMaster » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:34 am

What happened to Skylar May's? Why did the Blazers waive him?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#82 » by zzaj » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:14 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:What happened to Skylar May's? Why did the Blazers waive him?

To me, it's a signal that the Blazers aren't trading Ant and they are going to roll with the trio. Likely letting Mays go so he can sign on with another team for the rest of the year. And he should. He's a good player that has value for teams.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,841

Post#83 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Jan 9, 2024 8:03 pm

I think it's more a sign that his guarantee date was over the weekend, we currently have three point guards ahead of him, we made sure his salary wasn't on the books and that we have roster spaces if we do a trade.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#84 » by zzaj » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:53 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:I think it's more a sign that his guarantee date was over the weekend, we currently have three point guards ahead of him, we made sure his salary wasn't on the books and that we have roster spaces if we do a trade.

He signed with the Lakers (puke)...which is a good get for them. Mays is a steady backup and capable of playing mistake free basketball for long stretches--perfect for any of these underperforming and hugely in the tax vet teams looking to make a little push. I can't believe that the Lakers aren't even in the play-in right now despite AD and Lebron playing great.

Anyway, as much as losses are a good thing for the Blazers this year if Brogdon gets traded (he should, and better) then that leaves exactly 2 PGs on the roster. One isn't really a PG in Simons, and the other hasn't really proven he can stay on the court because of fouling or injuries in his short stint as a pro. The Blazers are down to 13 and would have been down to 14 if they kept Mays. I suppose they could be expecting to be getting players back in a Brogdon trade, but that seems unlikely. They also could just go pick up an unclaimed PG if needed and Brogdon gets traded...but none of those will be as good as Mays, nor will they already know the system having played in it for 2 years.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#85 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:30 am

Step 1 is to trade Brogdon to a contender (or a team trying to be a contender), which will enable Scoot, Ant and Sharpe to all get starter minutes.

Then the decision regarding the future backcourt will likely take a couple of seasons to answer.

If Scoot can improve his finishing at the rim, I think he can become a completely different player next season.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#86 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:34 pm

If we have room after a BB trade and need a PG I would take a swing on TyTy. Still only 22 and putting up nice G-League stats (Not that that really matters).
zzaj
General Manager

Post#87 » by zzaj » Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:08 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:If we have room after a BB trade and need a PG I would take a swing on TyTy. Still only 22 and putting up nice G-League stats (Not that that really matters).

Dang, yeah Ty Washington is crushing it right now...wow! I kinda lost track of him...
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#88 » by Goldbum » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:03 am

zzaj wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:If we have room after a BB trade and need a PG I would take a swing on TyTy. Still only 22 and putting up nice G-League stats (Not that that really matters).

Dang, yeah Ty Washington is crushing it right now...wow! I kinda lost track of him...

I agree TyTy could be better than Mays. Neither player likely adds or subtracts a single win though
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#89 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:44 pm

Ivisic after a single game looks far and away the most interesting player in this draft. Dont think there is another guy in this class with his potential. Not close really.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,002

Post#90 » by Village Idiot » Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:45 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ivisic after a single game looks far and away the most interesting player in this draft. Dont think there is another guy in this class with his potential. Not close really.
It's one game but looks like Porzingis with better passing skills. Totally changes the outlook on this draft if he can sustain this
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#91 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:01 pm

Filipowski is growing on me - I want to make the Markkanen comparison but I dont see him as mobile (Lauri is pretty special mobility wise for a 7 footer with his bulk). Maybe Mehmet Okur without love handles?

Assuming Ivisic is as good as I think my dream scenario right now would be somehow coming out of the draft w/ Matas and Ivisic. Think w/ guys like Cody Williams and Salaun rising we may see Matas slip - albeit probably not enough to be avaliable in the 8-12 range that the GSW pick seems likely to fall.

Ivisic is a freak, so excited we get to watch him this year. Was worried he wasnt going to be declared eligible. I went into the year having him ranked comfortably ahead of Sarr. Kid is a Zinger level talent (Wont go as far as saying Chet or obviously Wemby - the former is just too cerebral defensively and the later is an alien).
zzaj
General Manager

Post#92 » by zzaj » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:40 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Filipowski is growing on me - I want to make the Markkanen comparison but I dont see him as mobile (Lauri is pretty special mobility wise for a 7 footer with his bulk). Maybe Mehmet Okur without love handles?

Assuming Ivisic is as good as I think my dream scenario right now would be somehow coming out of the draft w/ Matas and Ivisic. Think w/ guys like Cody Williams and Salaun rising we may see Matas slip - albeit probably not enough to be avaliable in the 8-12 range that the GSW pick seems likely to fall.

Ivisic is a freak, so excited we get to watch him this year. Was worried he wasnt going to be declared eligible. I went into the year having him ranked comfortably ahead of Sarr. Kid is a Zinger level talent (Wont go as far as saying Chet or obviously Wemby - the former is just too cerebral defensively and the later is an alien).

It will be fun to track Ivisic…and if he keeps having games like this last one he’ll fly up the boards and likely be mentioned in the Top 15.

Filipowski is doing well…but I just get such strong Meyers vibes from him, although he’s got a much bigger BBIQ and faster processor than Meyers ever had. Who does he guard? Centers? Good centers are going to feast on him. Power Forwards? He doesn’t really have the foot speed. I guess he might do well in a system that really utilizes drop coverage…but he’ll be in foul trouble most nights if that’s the case.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#93 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:48 pm

I'm in the camp of using all of our picks over the next 3-4 years on big men and hoping that at least 1 of them pans out.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#94 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:58 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:I'm in the camp of using all of our picks over the next 3-4 years on big men and hoping that at least 1 of them pans out.

That's kind of the problem with front-loading our rebuild with guards. If the BPA in the next draft is a guard we are faced with a decision.

But from where we are now, and because the draft is always a bit of a crapshoot, we absolutely need to take several big swings to find the right complement to our back-court, and a lot of how we will look the next decade depends on how we navigate that issue.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#95 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Sun Feb 4, 2024 7:58 pm

kdawg32086 wrote:I'm in the camp of using all of our picks over the next 3-4 years on big men and hoping that at least 1 of them pans out.

That's kind of the problem with front-loading our rebuild with guards. If the BPA in the next draft is a guard we are faced with a decision.

But from where we are now, and because the draft is always a bit of a crapshoot, we absolutely need to take several big swings to find the right complement to our back-court, and a lot of how we will look the next decade depends on how we navigate that issue.
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 929

Post#96 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Feb 4, 2024 8:07 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

The draft has never been my strong suit (hence famously wanting Drummond over Lillard), but would love to take a swing at FIlipowski and Bradshaw in 2024, pick up a 2nd FRP in 2025 in a Brogdon trade, and take a swing at Newell and Booker in 2025. Someone is bound to pan out from that group as a career starter.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
The Sebastian Express
And1: 9,841

Post#97 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:19 am

San Antonio
11-43 .204 2.5 Won 1 3-7 52.1% 14.0%
Charlotte
12-41 .226 4.0 Won 2 2-8 48.1% 12.5%
Portland
15-38 .283 7.0 Lost 5 3-7 42.1% 10.5

Charlotte won tonight and is at 13 wins. I think there's a genuine chance we can in fact catch up to four and possibly San Aontnio if we tank right. We should not consider ourselves locked in at five at all (epsecially not with Memphis and Toronto at 18 and 19 wins behind us).
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#98 » by Norm2953 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:04 pm

It'll be interesting if the season ending injury tanks the stock of Ron Holland.

Buzelis' stock might have risen after he hit that shot in the Future's game. Don't think he'll ever
be a star but he develops into this draft's version of Tony Kukoc, that would be fine
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#99 » by Goldbum » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:20 am

I've been deep diving this draft since before the trade deadline and Holland is growing on me. I think the injuries have really skewed the perception of this roster, so drafting for fit is purely theoretical. If Ron is legit 6'8" pairing his speed with Scoot and Shaedon could put ridiculous pressure on the rim. We would 100% need a new coach to put it all together but I think we need that anyway. I still prefer Risacher or Williams, but if we get lucky and can draft Sarr with our own pick I'd be ecstatic if we could ad something to the GSW to move up and draft Ron. I like Ulrich Chomche, Ivisic, Bradshaw,Edwards,Brazil and Holmes in round 2.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,471

Post#100 » by Pattycakes » Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:32 pm

The Blazers aren’t good enough to be letting any talent go for nothing. Skyler Mays looked like a perfect backup pg, so unless we are just awkwardly committing to Malcolm forever - I don’t necessarily think that was good asset management. I was honestly surprised we signed Duop to three years, but happy we did.

People might joke on 2k mentality a lot, but you don’t get better by waiving cheap young guys who are productive… you continue to work them in and create new roles for each.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers