ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,548

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#21 » by zzaj » Fri Sep 1, 2023 7:40 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:After watching more Matas I think there is a clear, considerable gap between him and the 2nd best prospect in this draft.

Think Detlef with 2020's 3PT volume and more STL + BLK - elite 3rd offensive option who can be the secondary facilitator and does all the little things.

Absolutely ideal fit next to 2 high usage scoring guards in Scoot and Sharpe.

Holland is much more of a ball of clay - think he is more of an Aaron Gordon level guy.

Where are you seeing footage of him? I'd love to see more than the few youtube things I've found...
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,497

Post#22 » by JRoy » Sat Sep 2, 2023 4:28 am

zzaj wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:After watching more Matas I think there is a clear, considerable gap between him and the 2nd best prospect in this draft.

Think Detlef with 2020's 3PT volume and more STL + BLK - elite 3rd offensive option who can be the secondary facilitator and does all the little things.

Holland is much more of a ball of clay - think he is more of an Aaron Gordon level guy.

Where are you seeing footage of him? I'd love to see more than the few youtube things I've found...

I think there is some footage on the nba draft forum. I liked what I saw and it would be great to have a young big with potential to be something.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#23 » by Goldbum » Sat Sep 2, 2023 12:01 pm

I like Sarr as well. Mara worries me. I've read that some scouts believe he is LESS athletic than Edey... that doesn't sound like the center I want with our high octane back court. Clingan and Bradshaw are exactly the TYPE of players I would want with our core. Bradshaw has the athletic traits and pop th be something in between Turner and JJJ, he could flop and be a poor man's Giles. Baba Miller is enticing if he figures the shot out, the release is low though and he's sort of a Brandon Miller wanna be. Holland has a real Scottie Barnes vibe with more intensity and less guard skills.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,947

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Sep 2, 2023 3:35 pm

Goldbum wrote:I like Sarr as well. Mara worries me. I've read that some scouts believe he is LESS athletic than Edey... that doesn't sound like the center I want with our high octane back court. Clingan and Bradshaw are exactly the TYPE of players I would want with our core. Bradshaw has the athletic traits and pop th be something in between Turner and JJJ, he could flop and be a poor man's Giles. Baba Miller is enticing if he figures the shot out, the release is low though and he's sort of a Brandon Miller wanna be. Holland has a real Scottie Barnes vibe with more intensity and less guard skills.

Ya, Mara has legit movement issues. I dont see a top pick.

Ideally we get Matas and then a second FRP to snag Clingan, Bradshaw or even Ivisic.

Clingan is so interesting, if he can be mobile enough to not get eaten alive in the PNR he could be a game changing defender. He is absolutely huge, has a great motor and is tough as nails. Like, he looks like Mikan out there. Still think you want to handcuff a guy like him w/ a more mobile, bouncy backup though. Hell, if Zach Collins stays healthy this year he would be a pretty ideal backup to a big like Clingan - bouncier and can spread the floor.

G - Scoot Henderson / Anfernee Simons
G - Shadeon Sharpe / Anfernee Simons
F - Jerami Grant / Matisse Thybulle / Rayan Rupert
F - Matas Buzelis / Kris Murray / Jabari Walker JR
C - Donovan Clingan / Zach Collins / Jabari Walker JR

Really like that roster. + whatever we get for Dame.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#25 » by Goldbum » Sat Sep 2, 2023 7:35 pm

Yeah I think Clingan with end up being something like Steven Adam's with bigger statistical impact. He's just a beast and can be a game wrecker on both sides of the ball. Not as flashy as some guys but bonkers production and wacky impact.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Post#26 » by Norm2953 » Sat Sep 2, 2023 9:29 pm

Mara however headed to UCLA and a solid coach in Mick Cronin and in practice, he'll be playing against a likely FRP in Adem Bona. We'll know as the season rolls on, if he can play.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,005

Post#27 » by Village Idiot » Sun Sep 3, 2023 10:21 am

JRoy wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I think there is some footage on the nba draft forum. I liked what I saw and it would be great to have a young big with potential to be something.
Derek Parker has a good initial analysis on Matas
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#28 » by GreenRiddler » Mon Oct 2, 2023 2:50 am

Looks like a really good group of wings this draft and Alex Sarr looks very intriguing. Him and Holland probably go back and forth on the #1 pick throughout the year.

I hope we can get a top 3-5 pick and then try and be competitive the next year.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#29 » by Goldbum » Mon Oct 2, 2023 8:00 pm

Matas, Holland, Edwards, Sarr, Clingan, Bradshaw, Almansa, Ivisic and Klintman would all look fantastic in a Blazer uniform. I actually think GSW will be worse this year and that pick could go just about anywhere. So there's a great chance we can land 2 of those guys since someone always slides.
Holland(as long as he's 6'7" plus) and Clingan would be amazing. Maybe Matas and Almansa or Ivisic. I just wish we had a real starting SF so we don't have to keep throwing capital at the position. A guy like Eason, D.Hunter or Keldon Johnson would set us up perfectly.
Something like:
Brogdan to Brooklyn
O'Neal (reunion with Snyder) + Cam Thomas or DFS to ATL
D.Hunter to Portland.

If we could break Brogdan's contract into 2 parts maybe we could send something to HOU so we could get Eason instead.
Brogdan for KPJ and Eason works too but I just don't know what we do with the KPJ contract. I want nothing to do with KPJ and the idea that he would make a penny from being on our team makes me a little sick.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#30 » by Norm2953 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:46 am

Cooper Flagg vs Buzelis workout

Read on Twitter
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#31 » by Goldbum » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:48 pm

Cooling on Matas. I thought he would be the modern Mike Dunleavy Jr. I just don't think he has the handle and playmaking, that's not a guy you take top 5. I'm starting to warm up on Risacha and Justin Edwards.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#32 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Oct 14, 2023 3:57 pm

Matas hasnt been great out the gate but I still think he has unique skills. MDJ is a nice comparison.

At the same time, I am not sold that a team w/ a PG as a #1 can lead a team to a ring unless they are the best shooter ever like Curry. I think Matas is going to be a great connector, #3 type (IE the MDJ comp) - but we may want to swing bigger (With a bigger chance of missing) on a guy that has size and #1 potential. Sarr, Holland and Edwards are closer to that guy. Albeit this draft as a whole may not have a #1 caliber dude IMHO. Lots of talent though.

Really excited to see Ivisic play for KU. Think he and Furpy at KU have big riser potential.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#33 » by Norm2953 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 5:12 pm

Let's see how these guys are playing in February/March, especially with these international players
who have an adjustment period to this country
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#34 » by Norm2953 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:46 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Matas hasnt been great out the gate but I still think he has unique skills. MDJ is a nice comparison.

At the same time, I am not sold that a team w/ a PG as a #1 can lead a team to a ring unless they are the best shooter ever like Curry. I think Matas is going to be a great connector, #3 type (IE the MDJ comp) - but we may want to swing bigger (With a bigger chance of missing) on a guy that has size and #1 potential. Sarr, Holland and Edwards are closer to that guy. Albeit this draft as a whole may not have a #1 caliber dude IMHO. Lots of talent though.

Really excited to see Ivisic play for KU. Think he and Furpy at KU have big riser potential.

By all accounts, there is no #1 option guy in this upcoming draft for we don't need any more guards for probably
the rest of the decade and Holland is not a shooter.

Real chance if Ayton continues to struggle, Portland takes a Sarr/Matas who are Victor/Chet, possible next generation
bigs who are very long, mobile athletic players
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#35 » by Goldbum » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:34 pm

Sarr as our PF would be a dream come true. Risacher has the skills and tools to be a fantastic SF. He's also one of the few guys who I keep hearing is significantly bigger than He's listed. I'm hearing he's a legit 6'9" now. If that's true he would be my target with the GSW pick. I would happily move both 2nd rounders to move up a bit and get someone that Schmitz believes is a blue chip guy. I would also see if we can nab Dieng and Bertans from OKC in some sort of Brogdan deal. Next year Bertans will be an expiring guy with size who can really shoot, so we might get value for him in an off season trade.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#36 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:30 pm

Goldbum wrote:Sarr as our PF would be a dream come true. Risacher has the skills and tools to be a fantastic SF. He's also one of the few guys who I keep hearing is significantly bigger than He's listed. I'm hearing he's a legit 6'9" now. If that's true he would be my target with the GSW pick. I would happily move both 2nd rounders to move up a bit and get someone that Schmitz believes is a blue chip guy. I would also see if we can nab Dieng and Bertans from OKC in some sort of Brogdan deal. Next year Bertans will be an expiring guy with size who can really shoot, so we might get value for him in an off season trade.

Presti gave up 3 FRP for Dieng - really would be surprised if he sold him for anything outside a huge needle moving deal (Lauir or someone like that). They have Micic and Cason added this offseason at guard as well. Dont see a move for Malcolm w/ OKC.
Goldbum
Analyst

Post#37 » by Goldbum » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:34 pm

Your probably right that we don't nab Dieng.
He's the type I would target though. Eason is another, so is Hunter and P.Williams. That's the archtype I'm looking for.
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#38 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:11 pm

Goldbum wrote:Your probably right that we don't nab Dieng.
He's the type I would target though. Eason is another, so is Hunter and P.Williams. That's the archtype I'm looking for.

You and everyone else!

That player archetype is so valuable but also has so many busts to wade through.

Still that is how you win and that is why a team might take Miller over Scoot at the second draft pick.

You have to sift a lot of sand to find a real winner, even high lottery picks aren't guaranteed. You might get Kawhi or you might get Reddish.

Blazers have time but we need to get to sifting fast, loading on up guards and stiff centers is not the template of a playoff winner.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#39 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:55 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:

You and everyone else!

That player archetype is so valuable but also has so many busts to wade through.

Still that is how you win and that is why a team might take Miller over Scoot at the second draft pick.

You have to sift a lot of sand to find a real winner, even high lottery picks aren't guaranteed. You might get Kawhi or you might get Reddish.

Blazers have time but we need to get to sifting fast, loading on up guards and stiff centers is not the template of a playoff winner.

I really would love to take a swing on one of the 3 young former FRP SF's that MEM is rostering right now - Zhaire, Roddy, LaRavia.

Ideally, make a move for one of those 3 guys and take Poku into one of our TPEs. See who sinks and who swims.
TheDraftGuy
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#40 » by TheDraftGuy » Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:21 pm

That archetype you should be on the lookout here is a 6'8"+ wing/forward (not a PF/C) with a 7'2"+ wingspan. Good hand size is nice, too (8.5"-11").

If they're athletic and skilled enough (ex. ball handling, can defend, shoot a bit) to be a legitimate lottery pick and have those physical traits, history suggests that they pan out quite well.

Tari Eason, for example, met this. Even though he was drafted later, I always felt he was a lottery pick and he was projected as such so I was quite surprised how low he fell.

So far, Brandon Ingram and Scottie Barnes are following this metric quite well. You listed DeAndre Hunter....and guess what? He meets this, as well.

Likewise, Jarace Walker is expected to do the same, at some point, if we go by these measurements.

In the past, Kawhi, Pippen, Giannis are other lottery caliber players that met this. Technically speaking, AK-47 is another one.

In fact, I don't think anyone who met this metric has really failed as a player (not saying there aren't 1-2 guys but they're anomalies). At the least, you end up with Rudy Gay or Rui Hachimura (though, Rui is less athletic and skilled). Terrence Jones is kinda another one (a little less skilled, derailed by injuries, though). I'm not sure if OG is 6'7" or 6'8" since you get conflicting measurements but technically, he would meet this, as well. Similar story with Batum (unsure about his height on the court but he would meet this).

And some of the players who weren't expected to be first round draft picks? Pascal Siakam, Jerami Grant, Kyle Anderson

Having an elite wingspan and being tall enough can be major factors, essentially.

Since Portland is looking for a wing/forward, I'd suggest to pay attention to players of this particular archetype in the future. It's a very safe bet.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers