ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,842

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#181 » by The Sebastian Express » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:26 pm

I believe Kessler had injuries this year, but don't know to the extent for the second half of the season.

I wouldn't draft Edey, though. That guy is a very specific case scenario where you play him and unsure if you can play him even moderate minutes in the playoffs in today's NBA. Would never spend any lottery pick, top or bottom, on him.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#182 » by Wizenheimer » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:00 pm

The Sebastian Express wrote:I believe Kessler had injuries this year, but don't know to the extent for the second half of the season.

I wouldn't draft Edey, though. That guy is a very specific case scenario where you play him and unsure if you can play him even moderate minutes in the playoffs in today's NBA. Would never spend any lottery pick, top or bottom, on him.

Kessler has played in 64 games this year, and 8 of the games he's missed were in October. The Jazz have essentially done the starting-C-by-committee rotation this year

Kessler-Olynyk-Hendricks-Yurtzevan have all started at C, but the most starts at C have gone to Markkanen with John Collins going at starting PF. That's the combo that makes the most sense in the modern NBA with Kessler being the first tool in their toolbox they reach for when they need paint defense and rim protection
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,534

Post#183 » by zzaj » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:22 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
zzaj wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Keyshawn George is my guy now for the GSW pick after diving into his film.

Pure SF and a legit 6’8 with a silky shot. Regularly made and took 3’s from well behind the college line. Excellent passer and ball handler (Touted as a point-forward coming into college). Plus defender. Smart player who moves the ball quick and doesn’t over dribble.

He looks like a guy that could have PG13 upside once his body develops. I am not sure there is another guy in this draft with as much upside. I wouldn’t even be mad if we used our own FRP on him.

Like him MUCH more than Cody Williams. Watching George you can just tell his game is made for the NBA.

Matas and George as our future forward tandem would make me tremendously happy.

I really like George too. My current 3 favorites are George/Salaun/Edey. Edey is going to get roasted on the perimeter, but most Centers do.

I tend to like players with the most translatable of NCAA-to-NBA skills, which are rebounding and finishing inside, so I get where the Edey enthusiasm originates. But, like, how do we ignore that players in his mold simply don't play anymore? Even when their impact stats don't indicate they are wrecking their teams, coaches won't play non-Wemby giants anymore. I can't see drafting a guy you just know won't be a major part of a competitive rotation.

Well a lot has to be considered in this situation. The strength of the draft class, # of current and future pics, and future team need.

That last one alone is mind-numbing.
PG? Blazers have a glut of "PGs" right now with Scoot/Ant/Brog--with Scoot being the highly-invested future.

EDIT: I forgot to say, my hope is that all of Grant, Ant, and Ayton get moved even though all of them are very hard to move. I left Brogdon off that list because he can be traded pretty much any time, and I feel like he's good for Scoot--two players that only go right.
SG? Sharpe is the future, ostensibly. Ant also is best offensively as a SG.
SF? The Blazers have about 10987356, "to be developed" SFs with maybe 1 skill on the roster.
PF? Despite playing worse at the position, Grant plus also most of the "to be developed" SFs play PF too.
C? Ayton is going nowhere on his contract/may be the COTF, and they have a 3-shooting backup.

And if Banton was the rookie next year putting up the numbers he has in a Blazers uni, we'd all be pretty damned stoked. So there's another PG/SG that's likely a backup.

Does anybody in the Blazers' draft range project to be better than Grant, Ant, Brogdon or Ayton? Or Scoot or Sharpe or Banton, for that matter? Is there enough upside in this draft to draft on potential? With 4 picks in a weak draft getting a very good backup is probably about all that's going to happen, realistically.

My hope is that Salaun has enough potential to answer "yes" to the above questions. My other hope is that Edey can end up like Steven Adams. A smart positional defender/screen-setter who finishes around the basket. He can hit 3pt shots in an open gym, with a decent FT%, so that's good too. Getting 18-20 minutes a night of that ain't the worst thing. Is he slow...he looks it to me. He doesn't finish very explosively. Will the team be forced into drop coverage when he's on the floor--of course. But there are VERY few Centers that can defend out to the perimeter with success--and only 1 of them is taller than Edey.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#184 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:41 pm

Matas, Salaun, Holland, Kyshawn, Castle

All great wings at the 4-5 and 11-14 range.

Sarr

Good for our top pick if we get into the top 3.

I hope we can get 2 out of the 6 with our picks.

I think people are down on Ayton more than they should be he has not had much to play with he can be a great front court big to team up with Sharpe Ant and Scoot along with a great wing we choose in this draft that could potential be the best core we’ve ever had if Scoot and Sharpe develop alongside someone like Matas, Holland or Salaun.
GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Post#185 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Apr 9, 2024 9:42 pm

Edey and Clingan aren’t worth wasting a lotto pick on. This isn’t the early 2010s anymore
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#186 » by Waynearchetype » Tue Apr 9, 2024 10:39 pm

I'm coming around on Cody Williams since he has the highest TS% of the SFs by atleast 5% and sometimes 10%. I just am not sure we can take more non-shooters, and he should be there at 7 if we get bumped back.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#187 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:11 am

GreenRiddler wrote:Edey and Clingan aren’t worth wasting a lotto pick on. This isn’t the early 2010s anymore

With Portland's history with big people, they can never have enough of them.

Walker Kessler was the 22nd pick in the 2022 draft, which this draft has some similarities. Duren
went 13th in that with Mark Williams 15th. This draft might not have any superstar types but might
yield lots of guys who might help a team. Don't draft guys like Cody Williams for like Kris Murray, he's
not his brother but draft guys who assuming they don't get hurt, will be good players in the league.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#188 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:12 pm

In what I'm about to say, I understand any pushback. The outright disagreement ... and beyond. But ...

I remember when TraderBob made what seemed like every week in the summer another opportunity for a trade announcement. It was patently insane, but it was fun. SPAM. He definitely wasn't a chemistry major. He eventually needed to go elsewhere.

And more recently, I remember having fun at draft parties as KP (of In KP We Trust) made them fun. The wheeling and dealing. But what I remember most was a statement he made regarding drafts perceived as weaker -- Get more picks. (Yes, this is a paraphrase.) My inexact memory recalls KP making the counterintuitive case on buying, acquiring ... additional picks to take more swings while other GMs looked to offload. It meant doing the work, having staff and scouts, an owner who loved the draft and being in the room ...

I have read and listened to media figures with real connections say they've heard the Blazers are unlikely to keep both 1st rounders and both 2nd rounders. Swing away, Cronin the Barbarian. Take the shots. That's what 2-ways are for. Why Moses Brown should be sitting on someone else's bench. Make maximum and smart use of that one vehicle of three (along with free agency and trades) that has worked for Portland arguably better than other ways -- the Draft.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#189 » by cdubbz » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:24 pm

I'm definitely interested in the Blazers rebuild! This draft is huge with 2 lottery picks. Doesn't seem like there are for sure superstars or star power, but I feel these types of drafts yield plenty of good role players.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 540

Post#190 » by Goldbum » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:02 pm

I think Matas has a little more AK47 in his game than he does Franz. I think he'll be a little less of a defender than Kirilenko, but a little better on offense.
Now the caveat here is his hight. At 6'10-6'11" I probably jump at taking him 6 or 7, 6'8" I'd wait til the GSW pick (if he's 6'8 I think he falls). I'm hearing Risacher and Cody Williams are dropping like stones. Holland could rise (1 of my sources had him 3rd on their board as of last week). If we land Matas AND Risacher or Williams I will be pumped.

I've been told Atlanta has an actual interest in Jabari Walker (this surprised me) and could be willing to drop to the GSW pick if he was dangled (don't love that)... This is what I'm hearing not something I'm hoping for, the thought is he slides in with Jalen at forward.
More random bits of information from those conversations...
Don't be surprised if it's Ant on the trading block over Malcom.
Timelord is still in the plans at backup Center. One team actually came trying to acquire Timelord and was rebuffed.
Banton and Brogdon, later Banton/Rupert are could our backup pg/sg if it all goes to plan (This is inference on my part he could have been hinting around something else).

Everyone(in his organization anyway) thought Kris would be a better shooter than he has been but nobody thought he could trail and guard pg/sg types the way he has.
My western conference source thinks Jerami will be moved. My Easter conference source thinks that's a guess and hadn't heard anything.
Both feel Matisse is worth a first and Portland will get one for him ...

That's all I've heard, nothing definitive but sort of interesting.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#191 » by tester551 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:27 pm

Goldbum wrote:I think Matas has a little more AK47 in his game than he does Franz. I think he'll be a little less of a defender than Kirilenko, but a little better on offense.
Now the caveat here is his hight. At 6'10-6'11" I probably jump at taking him 6 or 7, 6'8" I'd wait til the GSW pick (if he's 6'8 I think he falls). I'm hearing Risacher and Cody Williams are dropping like stones. Holland could rise (1 of my sources had him 3rd on their board as of last week). If we land Matas AND Risacher or Williams I will be pumped.

I've been told Atlanta has an actual interest in Jabari Walker (this surprised me) and could be willing to drop to the GSW pick if he was dangled (don't love that)... This is what I'm hearing not something I'm hoping for, the thought is he slides in with Jalen at forward.
More random bits of information from those conversations...
Don't be surprised if it's Ant on the trading block over Malcom.
Timelord is still in the plans at backup Center. One team actually came trying to acquire Timelord and was rebuffed.
Banton and Brogdon, later Banton/Rupert are could our backup pg/sg if it all goes to plan (This is inference on my part he could have been hinting around something else).

Everyone(in his organization anyway) thought Kris would be a better shooter than he has been but nobody thought he could trail and guard pg/sg types the way he has.
My western conference source thinks Jerami will be moved. My Easter conference source thinks that's a guess and hadn't heard anything.
Both feel Matisse is worth a first and Portland will get one for him ...

That's all I've heard, nothing definitive but sort of interesting.

Thanks for the insights.

I'm guessing only Thybulle & Reath get moved.
Thybulle's contract would be easiest to get off of & is just over the amount they need to reduce payroll by.

I like Matas the best for Portland (as far as fit). Not sure that I like the idea of Walker to ATL. Walker just does so many blue collar things that help out the team
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#192 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:35 pm

When is the last time a team traded down like 4 lotto spots for a player of Walker's caliber? I cant think of any.

That would value Walker at a future first which at least to me is nuts.

Walker hustles and is a great rebounder for his size - but he isnt big enough for C and he isnt a good enough shooter for PF. He is a tweener that should be an afterthought in our rebuild.

Also dont get the Rayan at SG chatter - think the kid is a pure SF.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#193 » by Pattycakes » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:23 pm

cdubbz wrote:I'm definitely interested in the Blazers rebuild! This draft is huge with 2 lottery picks. Doesn't seem like there are for sure superstars or star power, but I feel these types of drafts yield plenty of good role players.

Bro!! Please post more. I might come back if there’s more positivity here
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#194 » by cdubbz » Fri Apr 12, 2024 7:50 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Also, I only recently started following/researching this draft and... yikes. I usually disagree when consensus blasts a draft class, but I can't name a single guy I perceive as having high-level potential. Now, one of the high-usage, multi-tooled players will hit -- somebody always does -- but as far as I can tell nobody is distinguishing himself. I don't think draft picks are worth much when they are merely lottery tickets that likely don't pay out.

I'm sure no team wants to give up a high-upside pick to move into this draft, but could the Blazers maybe trade out for some lightly protected pick(s) and just fully embrace the tank for next season (and beyond :()? Or, is there a young player already in the league being underutilized, or otherwise undiscovered, for whom we should consider trading out of one or both first rounders?

Im in the same boat with you on just starting to research this draft and not seeing any high-level potential, BUT I can see some of these guys being good rotation players.

It's only going to be year 2 in the post Dame era and there is no rush to get really good right away. Theres so many ways the Blazers can go in this draft: there are a lot of 'high risk high reward' guys and some 'safe picks' and it's still a coin toss on if they pan out or not. Drafting BPA is probably the route to go.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#195 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:19 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:Also, I only recently started following/researching this draft and... yikes. I usually disagree when consensus blasts a draft class, but I can't name a single guy I perceive as having high-level potential. Now, one of the high-usage, multi-tooled players will hit -- somebody always does -- but as far as I can tell nobody is distinguishing himself. I don't think draft picks are worth much when they are merely lottery tickets that likely don't pay out.

I'm sure no team wants to give up a high-upside pick to move into this draft, but could the Blazers maybe trade out for some lightly protected pick(s) and just fully embrace the tank for next season (and beyond :()? Or, is there a young player already in the league being underutilized, or otherwise undiscovered, for whom we should consider trading out of one or both first rounders?

Im in the same boat with you on just starting to research this draft and not seeing any high-level potential, BUT I can see some of these guys being good rotation players.

It's only going to be year 2 in the post Dame era and there is no rush to get really good right away. Theres so many ways the Blazers can go in this draft: there are a lot of 'high risk high reward' guys and some 'safe picks' and it's still a coin toss on if they pan out or not. Drafting BPA is probably the route to go.

For the Blazers current position, this is an awesome draft for us. At least 8-10 solid 3,4 and 5s to choose from with both picks. We obv don’t necessarily need more guards at this time.

My ideal offseason: off-load Jerami, Malcolm and Matisse for future capital. All young enough but productive enough to be appealing to some fringe contenders. Should be able to get some solid picks to add to the chest. R Will mine as well move on as well. I personally would like to see Banton and Reath stay with us if neither are opposed to their roles.

Draft

Assuming we fall anywhere from 3-5 and then around 12/13 - my draft board roughly:

3-5
One - Holland
Two - Buzelis / Sarr
Three - tie between Clingan, Topic, Risacher, in which case I’d just trade down

12/13
One - Any of above who fall to here
Two - Da Silva / Knecht

My biggest interest is Ron Holland. I’m personally not interested in the Ignite record.. to me it’s irrelevant I saw what I needed to see a potential Brandon Miller rookie type here and that’s enough for me.

I’m high on Ant/Scoot and Shae as a backcourt. Maybe we add in a great shooter like Dalton Knecht, I think it’s a perfect compliment to what we have.

If we get Holland plus Buzelis/Klingan or Knecht and add any solid big men avail in the early 30s, maybe luck into Edey even I’m not mad at all.

I will admit I have zero interest in Sarr. I foresee DA as the bread to Scoots butter going forward, seems very counterproductive to get Sarr in the way.

Zero interest in any player shorter than 6’6” from what I see, basically. Maybe the easiest way to explain what I’d like to see prioritized.

Scoot/Topic or Knecht*/Banton
Ant/Shae/Rupert
Holland/Murray/Buzelis or Da Silva*
Walker/Camara/Clingan*
Ayton/Clingan*/Reath

*obv not getting all these guys but this is very roughly how I anticipate we move on from any vets plus maximize improving this draft.

I know everyone has diff wants or needs, I fall between excited for what I saw this year for a development tanking year, and wanting to swing a bit for safe/yet higher potential two way guys. I foresee the Blazers being young, offensively inclined but full of guys at least trying on the defensive side - which is so much more than we’re used to. Feel free to dissect anything I pointed out above.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#196 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:58 pm

Watched a lot of Ron Holland/Matas Buzelis highlights and lowlights - definition of high risk/high reward. They have all the tools and are young. The team that selects them will need to be patient and have strong development coaches. Both are big mobile wings with explosiveness.

I like the Ignite experience because we get to see them on NBA court, with NBA spacing, NBA pace, and against grown men. Hopefully one of them can still be there at 4-5.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#197 » by Norm2953 » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:00 pm

It will of course come down to the workouts which follow the NBA combine. Getting an accurate
measurement is vital for if Holland for example is closer to 6-6 and Matas is closer to 6-8, their
draft stock is going to drop.

I do think if Portland had the first pick, they'd take Sarr, who's NBA draft comparison is the Dallas
Mavs Dereck Lively. I'd personally take Clingan at 4-5 assuming his knee concerns are fine for he's
going to be a guy who plays 10 years in the league. Rather than gamble on the boom/bust players,
I'd rather take the guys who will play and be good players at pick 4-5 for a team can either trade
from a position of strength as long as player XX checks out physically and has no long term injury
issues.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#198 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:11 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It will of course come down to the workouts which follow the NBA combine. Getting an accurate
measurement is vital for if Holland for example is closer to 6-6 and Matas is closer to 6-8, their
draft stock is going to drop.

I do think if Portland had the first pick, they'd take Sarr, who's NBA draft comparison is the Dallas
Mavs Dereck Lively. I'd personally take Clingan at 4-5 assuming his knee concerns are fine for he's
going to be a guy who plays 10 years in the league. Rather than gamble on the boom/bust players,
I'd rather take the guys who will play and be good players at pick 4-5 for a team can either trade
from a position of strength as long as player XX checks out physically and has no long term injury
issues.

I prefer bigs with more mobility/athleticism than Clingan. A center like Clingan/Edey have a role in the NBA, but i see them getting exposed on defense in the perimeter or faster bigs.

- I've seen a lot of Filipowski from Duke and think he is safe pick for a 7footer that will fit into the NBA. When I think pick n rolls, cutting to the basket, and being able to switch on defense Clingan will struggle.

But yeah that 4-5 spot is difficult pick - it's almost no mans land.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#199 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:03 am

Pattycakes wrote:
cdubbz wrote:I'm definitely interested in the Blazers rebuild! This draft is huge with 2 lottery picks. Doesn't seem like there are for sure superstars or star power, but I feel these types of drafts yield plenty of good role players.

Worth saying, as one of the biggest pessimists about the state of the franchise, that I do appreciate alternative, positive views. There is a lot to like on even the bleakest NBA roster, and a bunch of Portland's youth are easy to cheer for. I do tend to get lost in the fuzziness of the big picture. I should probably accept the difficult present and enjoy what I can out of this team.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Pattycakes
General Manager

Post#200 » by Pattycakes » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:57 am

Tim Lehrbach wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:

Worth saying, as one of the biggest pessimists about the state of the franchise, that I do appreciate alternative, positive views. There is a lot to like on even the bleakest NBA roster, and a bunch of Portland's youth are easy to cheer for. I do tend to get lost in the fuzziness of the big picture. I should probably accept the difficult present and enjoy what I can out of this team.

I don’t mean this is any slight or personal way, but if the hopelessness of the Dame treadmill has produced any real hopeful excitement since LA/Wes/etc all abandoned him, I must have been watching a diff brand of Blazer basketball.

They were always pretenders simply holding on to Dames coat tail.

At least there’s a glimpse of actual two way team basketball on the horizon. I’ll take it. Gladly.

Maybe we don’t have a 30 ppg nightly scorer on the roster, but maybe our team actually is somewhat unpredictable. Perhaps that identity is worth investing in. Idk. TBD

Return to Portland Trail Blazers