ImageImage

2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc)

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

GreenRiddler
General Manager
And1: 1,428

Re: 2024 NBA Draft (euro season, college season, scouting, prospects etc) 

Post#41 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:42 am

I think Rischaer goes Top 5 maybe top 3 by end of the year. Michael Porter Jr with defense.

A lot of good wing players and front court guys we can choose from. I’m hoping GS doesn’t make a trade at the deadline cause I don’t think they’re a playoff team unless they do make a trade. That’d be a second lotto pick.

Depending on how bad we are we could get a tier 1 or 2 player from this draft so top 3-5 pick plus the warriors 12-14 pick which I trust Schmitz to do his homework as there are a lot of potential diamonds late lotto like when Jdub fell to #12 for OKC.

Tier 1
Holland/Sarr/Collier/Edwards

Tier 2
Risacher/Buzel/Topic

Tier 3
Izan/Clingan/Castle/Walter

My personal top 5 big board for Portland

Sarr—unquestionably #1 pick imo take him and run

Risacher—This guy has star written all over him he is an amazing shooter and the tools to be a next level impact SF. Want to see the ball in his hands more but he could be SF Klay Thompson and still not reach his potential.

Edwards—Ideal big wing as long as he plays solid in tourney top 3

Hollands—Talented but I’d need to see more poster boy AAU culture me guy

Buzel— I want to see more mins from him over the year, can see his potential as a connector piece on the wing as a facilitator and is a good or great shooter. Need to see how he is on defense

GSW pick:

Izan—love it if he were there at 12-14 I think he’d be a quick translatable big in the league could turn out like Segun.

Jakobe Walker— unbelievable shooter so far, worried he’s more KCP than Brandon Miller.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#42 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:34 pm

Ya, I have Sarr #1 right now with Matas #2. Would be happy with either.

A guy to keep an eye on is Zvonimir Ivisic - he is a euro big who is on KU this season but is having some issues with becoming eligible to play. Ideal candidate that may not get too much run this year but if he declares likely will be undervalued. Would love to snag him with the GSW FRP - watch some of his Euro highlights, dude runs the court like a gazelle for his size. Workable 3PT shot. Unselfish. Tons to like about him.

Matas and Ivisic is probably my favorite outcome right now. Still love Furpy at KU as well, but he probably doesnt get enough PT this year to make declaring a possibility.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#43 » by Norm2953 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:51 pm

It'll be interesting who Portland picks if their pick ends 6-8.

I would wonder if Portland would consider packing their pick + the GSW pick if a solid
veteran was available.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#44 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Nov 29, 2023 3:52 am

Norm2953 wrote:It'll be interesting who Portland picks if their pick ends 6-8.

I would wonder if Portland would consider packing their pick + the GSW pick if a solid
veteran was available.
I hope we wouldn't. We'd again be a treadmill team.

Now if Scoot elevates his play to Shaedon levels (i.e there's genuine hope that he's a future All Star), I wouldn't be so objecting to this, but would still rather that we wait another year.
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#45 » by GreenRiddler » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:43 am

GreenRiddler wrote:I think Rischaer goes Top 5 maybe top 3 by end of the year. Michael Porter Jr with defense.

A lot of good wing players and front court guys we can choose from. I’m hoping GS doesn’t make a trade at the deadline cause I don’t think they’re a playoff team unless they do make a trade. That’d be a second lotto pick.

Depending on how bad we are we could get a tier 1 or 2 player from this draft so top 3-5 pick plus the warriors 12-14 pick which I trust Schmitz to do his homework as there are a lot of potential diamonds late lotto like when Jdub fell to #12 for OKC.

Tier 1
Sarr/Collier/Risacher/Castle

Tier 2
Edwards/Buzel/Topic/Cody Williams

Tier 3
Izan/Clingan//Walter/Holland

My personal top 5 big board for Portland

Sarr—unquestionably #1 pick imo take him and run

Risacher—This guy has star written all over him he is an amazing shooter and the tools to be a next level impact SF. Want to see the ball in his hands more but he could be SF Klay Thompson and still not reach his potential.

Edwards—Ideal big wing as long as he plays solid in tourney top 3

Hollands—Talented but I’d need to see more, poster boy AAU culture me guy and the G-League can't develop guys

Buzel— I want to see more mins from him over the year, can see his potential as a connector piece on the wing as a facilitator and is a good or great shooter. Need to see how he is on defense

GSW pick:

Izan—love it if he were there at 12-14 I think he’d be a quick translatable big in the league could turn out like Segun.

Jakobe Walker— unbelievable shooter so far, worried he’s more KCP than Brandon Miller.

Gotta make an update. J dubs brother in Colorado is looking great. I'd love it if we could get him with GS pick if its a lotto pick but I think he could catapult into the top 5 if he plays great this march.

Castle is a tough one, if him and Shaedon could work at the 2/3 he'd be a great get in the top 5 as a jimmy butler type.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#46 » by Goldbum » Sun Dec 10, 2023 12:59 pm

I just want a jumbo wing and a space eating 4/5. This draft is dripping with them. We could go Sarr/Williams, Risacher or Holland (not my guy, but if he's BPA I'd be fine with Holland. Probably only happens if we are picking around 7 and he's still on the board) with Almansa/Klintman/Tyler Smith or maybe Bradshaw(I think he can play next to DA) with the other pick. I big man and 1 jumbo wing. We should consider using the seconds to get us the biggest steals or to trade up with one of the picks.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
GreenRiddler
General Manager

Post#47 » by GreenRiddler » Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:08 am

Goldbum wrote:I just want a jumbo wing and a space eating 4/5. This draft is dripping with them. We could go Sarr/Williams, Risacher or Holland (not my guy, but if he's BPA I'd be fine with Holland. Probably only happens if we are picking around 7 and he's still on the board) with Almansa/Klintman/Tyler Smith or maybe Bradshaw(I think he can play next to DA) with the other pick. I big man and 1 jumbo wing. We should consider using the seconds to get us the biggest steals or to trade up with one of the picks.

Those are the type of players we really need and we’re lucky this draft is full of them and minimally with guards.

People are saying this is a weak draft is only because there is potentially 5-6 guys that can be the number 1 pick by June.

Risacher—-Sarr
Williams—-Almansa
Buzelis
Dunn
Holland

All great gets at the wing and PF/C spot.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#48 » by Dame Lizard » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:35 am

Another GSW loss and Draymond likely to be banned for an extended period you'd assume.

That GSW pick is looking good to be in the ~10-15 range.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#49 » by Norm2953 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:50 am

It'll be interesting to see if the GSW double down on Steph to see if they can turn things around.
They've gotten a lot of mileage off that veteran core but that group has played a lot of minutes
and guys like Klay look to be done.

They don't own their own FRP unless it somehow ends up a top 4 pick and that pick looks to be
a late lottery pick or just outside the lottery. Portland could then add some real talent to their
front court for I'd love to add Buzelis and one of the many bigs in this draft to next years team
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#50 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:42 pm

That GSW pick is looking surprisingly good.

I dont have a great feel for this draft right now - dont think anyone really does. The only top tier guy whos stats stand out is Topic and we really dont need anything at that position. Too bad he isnt 6'8.

Like hedging on jumbo forwards personally - something like Matas and Risacher (Assuming that GSW pick ends up between 5 and 10 - which I think has a high chance of happening)
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,841

Post#51 » by The Sebastian Express » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:27 am

And that pick is looking even better now with Draymond's indefinite suspension. Let's just hope it doesn't land top four.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#52 » by Norm2953 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 2:02 am

Imagine the rebuild job the GSW face for their payroll including taxes is reportedly $400 million. All
kinds of bad contracts with Steph turning 36 in March.

That GSW pick is protected 1-4 in 2024, protected if first pick in 25 and UNP in 2026 and might make that
part of the Jrue Holiday trade that most is valuable to Portland.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#53 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:20 pm

Matas last 2 games -

21pts / 8reb / 2ast / 3stl / 2blk / 2to / 6-8fg / 1-1 3pt / 4-4 ft / 30min
25pts / 6reb / 0ast / 2stl / 2blk / 3to / 10-16fg / 1-2 3pt / 2-2ft / 39min

Still strongly believe he is the best prospect in the draft.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#54 » by Norm2953 » Fri Dec 15, 2023 5:33 pm

Duop Reath had 39 points in his only G league game before he got recalled by the Blazers

I do hope there is a player with length that will be a great fit with Sharpe, Scoot and Ant moving
forward. I'd like to see if Matas/Sarr can replicate LA's game, for we'd be on the path that the
Houston Rockets, OKC, Orlando Magic took to get back to relevancy. That GSW pick allows us to
add perhaps another crack at getting that SF we haven't had since trading Nic in 2015
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#55 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Dec 16, 2023 12:52 am

Norm2953 wrote:Duop Reath had 39 points in his only G league game before he got recalled by the Blazers

Matas is 19 playing his first few games of high level ball while Reath is like 28.

He is a really special prospect. For his size he has great movement, plays at his own pace, gets to his spots and isn’t rushed. Shot mechanics are really good. Willing passer. Switchable up and down due to his size and agility.

I see him as a better prospect coming out than Scoot or Sharpe. Think Franz level is his middle ground with the chance to be quite a bit better.
Norm2953
RealGM

Post#56 » by Norm2953 » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:14 am

G league competition is what it is but there is a video of Matas in workout with Cooper Flagg
which suggests developmentally, he's equal to who everyone suspects is the #1 pick in the
2025 draft.

Let's see if he's another Franz Wagner but its not likely he'll be a dominant big player aka
Giannis
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#57 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:19 am

Norm2953 wrote:G league competition is what it is but there is a video of Matas in workout with Cooper Flagg
which suggests developmentally, he's equal to who everyone suspects is the #1 pick in the
2025 draft.

Let's see if he's another Franz Wagner but its not likely he'll be a dominant big player aka
Giannis

O for sure he isnt a clear cut #1 option like Giannis - those guys are not in every draft.

A Franz level guy is worth a Top-3 pick in most drafts. 6'10+ guys with perimeter skills, a shot, passing, non-turnstile defense, etc are the most rare and in-demand player archetypes in this league IMO.

Assuming Scoot and Sharpe are a guard duo that gets you 40+ points on most nights we could really use a connector guy like Franz that just makes the right plays and ends up with 18-20ppg without you even noticing most nights. Granted, if there is a guy you identify as being a potential franchise player you take him, because I am not convinced Scoot or Sharpe are 'the guy'. But that guy (in my highly uninformed opinion.) really, really doesnt appear to be in this draft.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#58 » by Goldbum » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:58 pm

Matas is so interesting because of the lack of transparency regarding his size. I've seen 6'11" and 6'7". If he's 6'10"+ he's a top 4 pick, if he's 6'7"-6'8" I don't know if he's even a lotto guy. I'm not so sure he's a better than Rupert unless he's a few inches taller.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 969

Post#59 » by Waynearchetype » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:02 pm

Matas is a year older than Holland right? Not that 18/19 is a big difference or anything, but I feel like Holland is getting discounted a bit. He's been improving each game, and now that Matas is playing and taking some pressure off him he is really rattling off some good lines.

Might not be the most amazing draft but I'm pretty happy 4 out of the top 5 (if it stays Risacher/Holland/Buzelis/Sarr/Collier) picks in this draft are interesting prospects at positions of need for us.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#60 » by zzaj » Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:19 pm

Goldbum wrote:Matas is so interesting because of the lack of transparency regarding his size. I've seen 6'11" and 6'7". If he's 6'10"+ he's a top 4 pick, if he's 6'7"-6'8" I don't know if he's even a lotto guy. I'm not so sure he's a better than Rupert unless he's a few inches taller.

Matas has already shown an unquestionably better feel for the game of basketball than Rupert has ever shown. Matas is going to go in the top 6 regardless of how tall he is...unless he measures at 6'1" or something, lol.
EDIT: the Euros measured him at 6'9" without shoes, and that looks about right...

Return to Portland Trail Blazers