SF Upgrade Targets

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,679

Re: SF Upgrade Targets 

Post#21 » by PDXKnight » Thu Oct 12, 2023 12:45 am

Blazinaway wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:DFS would be a nice stopgap - Simons for DFS and a FRP (+ Maybe one of their 2023 FRP guys?) would be goo by me but it looks like we are unable to right the spell that requires Portland to run a backcourt where everyone is under 6'3.

Do we need a "stopgap" at this time with this young rebuilding team? We have guys like Camara and Murray, I like what little I've seen of Camara so far, perhaps let's look there first, if Camara is more of a PF then move Grant to SF, he likely can both defend either position and in today's somewhat positionless NBA having switchable guys is what you want

Let's not get ahead of ourselves Camara has played 1 preseason game
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#22 » by m0ng0 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:21 am

I think the point is let's not make any rash decisions until we have a better idea what's already on the roster.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,409

Post#23 » by Blazinaway » Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:15 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:DFS would be a nice stopgap - Simons for DFS and a FRP (+ Maybe one of their 2023 FRP guys?) would be goo by me but it looks like we are unable to right the spell that requires Portland to run a backcourt where everyone is under 6'3.

Do we need a "stopgap" at this time with this young rebuilding team? We have guys like Camara and Murray, I like what little I've seen of Camara so far, perhaps let's look there first, if Camara is more of a PF then move Grant to SF, he likely can both defend either position and in today's somewhat positionless NBA having switchable guys is what you want

and let's not look outward until we evaluate what we have which is a lot of what this season is about
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#24 » by Butter » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:30 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
Blazinaway wrote:

and let's not look outward until we evaluate what we have which is a lot of what this season is about

You Sir are 100% correct, but ridiculous fan speculation is what RealGM is about... :D
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Blazers98
Junior
And1: 96

Post#25 » by Blazers98 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:30 pm

McDaniels is probably my favorite that we could attain and is young so he could grow with the team and be part of the timeline.
He is already one of the best defenders AND he shot 39% from the three. Very versitile and can play the PF.
The perfect 3 and d possibly attainable guy.

I also would not mind Murphy.
TBH H Jones and Thybulle are too similar.
C Thomas is 6-3. We don't need him.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#26 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:48 pm

Blazers98 wrote:McDaniels is probably my favorite that we could attain and is young so he could grow with the team and be part of the timeline.
He is already one of the best defenders AND he shot 39% from the three. Very versitile and can play the PF.

Chatter is MIN will match any RFA offers to McDaniels. He is going to get 30M+ most likely. I dont see him attainable in any way. I think he is much less obtainable than OG, Tre, etc.

He is an ideal fit in PDX but also an ideal fit basically on any team.

Realistically we are looking at the SFOTF in the 2024 draft - would even like to double down using both FRP.
Blazers98
Junior

Post#27 » by Blazers98 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:49 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Blazers98 wrote:McDaniels is probably my favorite that we could attain and is young so he could grow with the team and be part of the timeline.

Chatter is MIN will match any RFA offers to McDaniels. He is going to get 30M+ most likely. I dont see him attainable in any way. I think he is much less obtainable than OG, Tre, etc.

Realistically we are looking at the SFOTF in the 2024 draft - would even like to double down using both FRP.

Dang....30 mil, I had no idea he was that valued.
There goes that dream.
Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state lives at the expense of everyone
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Post#28 » by Norm2953 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:32 am

Most likely they would match but with Gobert, KAT, Edwards already making $127 million,
that is a ton of money tied up in 4 players (with McDaniel) with no PG on their roster in
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#29 » by Blazers20 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:05 pm

I’d trade for Emoni Bates (Cavs) and try and develop him and then draft Bezulis.
Blazers20
Pro Prospect
And1: 57

Post#30 » by Blazers20 » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:13 pm

Bates (6’10) brings size at the 3 as does Bezulis (7’0)
Blazers98
Junior

Post#31 » by Blazers98 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 2:21 am

What do we think of Mann?
It is being reported that the Sixers want him if they trade harden and that they have lined up a few deals with teams to trade Mann for a first round pick.
I like the talent, but he is 6-5
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#32 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:58 am

Blazers98 wrote:What do we think of Mann?
It is being reported that the Sixers want him if they trade harden and that they have lined up a few deals with teams to trade Mann for a first round pick.

Unless Simons is going out, I just don't see it. I haven't seen a lot of this guy though to know whether that would be a good move or not. I'm leaning towards not though. He has 2 inches on Simons, but does he have anything else on him?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
DC_Melo
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,372

Post#33 » by DC_Melo » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:09 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:

Unless Simons is going out, I just don't see it. I haven't seen a lot of this guy though to know whether that would be a good move or not. I'm leaning towards not though. He has 2 inches on Simons, but does he have anything else on him?

He’s got age… Mann just turned 27 yesterday, making him closer in age to Dame than to Scoot. Not exactly the high ceiling piece a lot of people think he is.
Blazers98
Junior

Post#34 » by Blazers98 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:18 pm

DC_Melo wrote:
DaVoiceMaster wrote:

He’s got age… Mann just turned 27 yesterday, making him closer in age to Dame than to Scoot. Not exactly the high ceiling piece a lot of people think he is.

Good catch. TBH, the way people talk about him, I assumed he was 22 or 23.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 544

Post#35 » by Goldbum » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:21 am

Darius Bazley anyone. Would take him over Knox. I actually think he pairs well with Grant. Admittedly I love Jumbo wings and combo forwards who can guard both positions.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,551

Post#36 » by zzaj » Fri Oct 20, 2023 3:14 pm

Man, even though he's out of reach I'm keeping tabs on the Thompson twin in Detroit...I was super high on him in the draft. I still think he's going to be a better player than his brother. He's pretty much everything the Blazers could want in a SF other than being 7' and highly mobile and a 40% 3pt shooter. Uber high level utility guy. He's just so smart on the court...always in control and making the right plays 100% of the time. Seems to be making his outside shots too, even though it looks kinda funky. Helluva defender.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 840

Post#37 » by tester551 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:25 pm

Goldbum wrote:Darius Bazley anyone. Would take him over Knox. I actually think he pairs well with Grant. Admittedly I love Jumbo wings and combo forwards who can guard both positions.

100%
Although I'd happily take almost anyone over Knox.

Another name to put out there is Wenyen Gabriel...
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,551

Post#38 » by zzaj » Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:53 pm

Besides the obvious--the Blazers have no PFs--can anybody give me an obvious reason the Blazers aren't playing Grant at SF?

He can shoot from outside, he has switchability, he doesn't rebound. Unless he's 100% dead-set against it, the title of this thread should be Re: PF Upgrade Targets.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Post#39 » by Norm2953 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:26 am

Grant's PF team mate is in the 2024 draft which is loaded with bigs
Blazers98
Junior

Post#40 » by Blazers98 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:53 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:

You were right, he just got paid slightly over 30 mil a year- wow. They are going to have a very expensive pay role.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers