Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Re: Predict Portland’s record for 2023-24 

Post#21 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 am

DusterBuster wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:I’m feeling generous, so I’ll go 32 and 50.

Agreed with most here though, it’s gonna be a slog of a season. The excitement of the Baby Blazers will wear off around Dec I think once it’s clear this team is going to be spectacularly bad. From there on out, most people - probably including myself - will largely tune out aside from some marquee games or another specific reason.

I was too generous.

Maybe, but you got the experience of rooting for a young, rudderless team just right. People often think blowing up a roster and tanking will yield all this hope and promise of future glory, but mostly it produces unwatchable basketball and doubts about the potential of your youth. When even climbing out of the cellar seems like a big ask, what's there to be excited about?
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#22 » by Pattycakes » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:20 am

If Blazers manage Ron Holland and either Clingan or Dalton knecht this draft we’ll already have one of the best young cores in the league a single season removed from blowing it up.

People need to reexperience true hopelessness again it seems. I’m sure Martell Webster/telfair would be more than glad to be your paid nucleus again.

This has all been calculated..
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#23 » by Tim Lehrbach » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:53 am

Pattycakes wrote:If Blazers manage Ron Holland and either Clingan or Dalton knecht this draft we’ll already have one of the best young cores in the league a single season removed from blowing it up.

People need to reexperience true hopelessness again it seems. I’m sure Martell Webster/telfair would be more than glad to be your paid nucleus again.

This has all been calculated..

I appreciate the perspective. The danger here is of course that our celebrated prospects present and future end up no more appetizing than the John Nash platter. Pretty sure our guys just produced the exact same record as the rock-bottom 2000s Blazers, too.

Although -- stats be damned, in this case -- Scoot is already better than Telfair would ever be.

At least I don't have to watch Juan Dixon step over the three-point line on all his jumpers or Jarrett Jack's heel touch the sideline this time around.

And, to your point, those rock-bottom Blazers suffered lousy lottery luck and still nabbed Aldridge and Roy in the 2006 draft, a draft which was viewed ahead of time as weak, so...
Clipsz 4 Life

January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006

Saxon

February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,536

Post#24 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:36 pm

Moonbeam wrote:
zzaj wrote:I think there is going to be a lot of parity in the NBA this season...but I have a hard time finding a roster with a combination of less experience, worse coach, and ill-fitting parts.

I think the Blazers end the season with the worst record in the NBA...especially if they end up jettisoning Brogdon and Timelord. I'll say 21 wins.

Well done! There were several awful teams this year, but Portland landed on 21 wins as you predicted.

Lucky guess. I got the parity part correct too...although it's pretty amazing that 21 wins is not the worst record in the NBA.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that in hindsight, if the Blazers hadn't had the second most games lost to injury in the entire league, I feel like truthfully they would have flirted with 30 games.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers