ImageImage

Robert Williams out

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Re: Robert Williams out 

Post#21 » by Norm2953 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:42 am

Nobody really knows what type of offers Portland was getting from other teams for the Clippers
offer supposedly included Terence Mann who is another 6-5 guy playing SF, expiring contracts
and future picks.

I would expect Portland will move Grant, especially if he puts up numbers. Return won't be great
but Portland's hands were tied when they traded for a player entering the last year of his deal.
They had to pay him or else he would not have agreed to sit for their tank
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#22 » by Wizenheimer » Wed Nov 8, 2023 3:19 am

Norm2953 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure why people are bringing up the picks Portland got for Jrue. They aren't very good, at all, not for a player like Jrue. Right now, it would be the 26th pick next June, and another 1st 6 years from now. That's a poor pick payoff for a player that was reportedly generating a ton of interest

Williams came with an extensive injury history, and apparently Brandon-Roy knees. He also came with 3 years remaining on his contract. The Blazers should have avoided him like the plague because the news about his latest injury was just about guaranteed and inevitable

Six years is a long time away and nobody knows how good the Celtics will be for their payroll is not sustainable
long term.

exactly...6 years is a long time, and the value of that pick could be high or it could be low....in 2029. Meaning that any player drafted with that pick probably won't be impactful till 2031-32, 8 or 9 years from now, assuming it's a good pick and not a bust. My fandom is a lot more immediate than 8 or 9 years from now
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,679

Post#23 » by PDXKnight » Wed Nov 8, 2023 3:38 am

Wizenheimer wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:
Wizenheimer wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm not sure why people are bringing up the picks Portland got for Jrue. They aren't very good, at all, not for a player like Jrue. Right now, it would be the 26th pick next June, and another 1st 6 years from now. That's a poor pick payoff for a player that was reportedly generating a ton of interest

Williams came with an extensive injury history, and apparently Brandon-Roy knees. He also came with 3 years remaining on his contract. The Blazers should have avoided him like the plague because the news about his latest injury was just about guaranteed and inevitable

Six years is a long time away and nobody knows how good the Celtics will be for their payroll is not sustainable
long term.

exactly...6 years is a long time, and the value of that pick could be high or it could be low....in 2029. Meaning that any player drafted with that pick probably won't be impactful till 2031-32, 8 or 9 years from now, assuming it's a good pick and not a bust. My fandom is a lot more immediate than 8 or 9 years from now

Good asset to include for a star 3-5 years down the road
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,860

Post#24 » by Norm2953 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 4:44 am

It's best to have some perspective for those Blazer fans who crave a more immediate result are
going to be disappointed. It took the Blazers 4 seasons to be in position to draft Clyde. Portland
had to wait 8 years before they finally got Sabas.

It was an involved process to be in position to draft Dame.

The thing is in the meantime before those guys arrive, we'll see guys like Tom Owens, who had to
replace Bill and Harvey Grant (Jerami's dad) and Gary Trent Sr who played on the teams after
Clyde.

Im hoping the accumulation of assets will allow Portland to get the third solid piece to
compliment Scoot/Sharpe. Nobody knows what the picks from the Bucks and Celtics will
bring but even that late GSW pick might yield something for the Nets drafted Cam Thomas in
2021, and he just put up 45 points on Bucks. Jaden McDaniels just got a big extension from
the Wolves after he went 28th in the 2020 draft.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#25 » by NatiboyB » Thu Nov 9, 2023 5:04 pm

Case2012 wrote:Cronin is a joke. Could've probably got another 2 firsts or some prospects from a contender. I swear olshey probably got most of his ideas from Joe, he confirmed he talked to Joe about every single move they've made since he was hired in an interview. Makes sense, he was the assistant gm, but that what makes the him being the replacement even more laughable.

I disagree with you only because the Blazers are clearly in a time where they have youth as their primary concern. So with the youth you do want to have a handful of veteran professionals. So hanging on to Brogdon until the trade deadline seems to be a useful tool. Especially considering scoots early struggles and the fact that Brogdon can play on and off the ball and also doesn’t mind coming off the bench nor not having 32 minutes a night.

Robert Williams is signed to a good contract and albeit injury prone if healthy along with Ayton provides an outstanding 48 minutes of positional play. Plus he’s another guy who doesn’t mind only playing 20-24 minutes a night that comes from a winning culture. I’d rather have him as a backup/spot starter for the duration of his contract.

Having Grant/Brogdon/Williams/Ayton to go along with the youth of Sharp/Simons/Henderson while it may not have much impact on winning I believe will help the career trajectory of the young players.
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#26 » by mighty_duck » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:23 pm

No real surprise, but it looks like the knee surgery will take TL out for the whole season.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/38863846/sources-blazers-robert-williams-season-ending-surgery
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,505

Post#27 » by JRoy » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:44 pm

Goodbye Robert we hardly knew ye.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,679

Post#28 » by PDXKnight » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:38 am

Seems like timelords absence will be a good recipe for competitive losses!
soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Post#29 » by soobias » Sat Nov 11, 2023 5:49 am

imagine if the trade was done knowing he wasnt 100% healthy and it was part of the tanking lol.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 879

Post#30 » by red_power » Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:38 am

Wait, the rest of his remained salary will now be covered by an incurance, right? It makes me no wonder why FO was so willing to take him in a first place.

*just realized the fact what a cash cow this team turned to be for Jody Allen these days*
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,499

Post#31 » by Pattycakes » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:46 pm

red_power wrote:Wait, the rest of his remained salary will now be covered by an incurance, right? It makes me no wonder why FO was so willing to take him in a first place.

*just realized the fact what a cash cow this team turned to be for Jody Allen these days*

It’s honestly just a bad look. He was obviously heavy and out of shape and on load management. Poor guy but really we should have sat him out the entire first half of the season if he literally needed loaded management on a halfway tanking team. Poor taste in that one and we’re lucky we made good decisions to trump this one.
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#32 » by m0ng0 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 4:54 pm

Sadly I think his career as a rotation guy is over, to bad and I hope I am wrong but it's just not looking good for this kid.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#33 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sat Nov 11, 2023 10:56 pm

William's, a center, goes out for the year. So what do the Blazers do? Sign another PG. I get they have some big guys in the background, but another PG?
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 839

Post#34 » by tester551 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 2:06 am

red_power wrote:Wait, the rest of his remained salary will now be covered by an incurance, right? It makes me no wonder why FO was so willing to take him in a first place.

Nope.

Blazers have to pay 100% of his salary for the next 41 games for sure.
*** IF *** Williams contract was insured (there's a good chance it was not) then insurance would cover 80% of the remaining games (~35)
bob2
Senior
And1: 80

Post#35 » by bob2 » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:24 am

DaVoiceMaster wrote:William's, a center, goes out for the year. So what do the Blazers do? Sign another PG. I get they have some big guys in the background, but another PG?

Henderson, Simmons and Brogdon are injured. Signing a PG for the next weeks looks like a no-brainer to me.
Once they are back from injuries, I think that Portland will use the two-way contract on a big.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#36 » by DaVoiceMaster » Sun Nov 12, 2023 6:36 pm

I forgot about Brogdon being injured and just learned Scoot us a few weeks away still. I thought all 3 players would be back any day when I posted that. Makes sense now, although it blows. Should have brought Shabazz back from Serbia!!!
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,505

Post#37 » by JRoy » Sun Nov 12, 2023 8:19 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:I forgot about Brogdon being injured and just learned Scoot us a few weeks away still. I thought all 3 players would be back any day when I posted that. Makes sense now, although it blows. Should have brought Shabazz back from Serbia!!!

Shabazz is the man.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers