General Manager
And1: 2,548

Re: What to do with Brogdon and Williams 

Post#121 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:33 pm

Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
My bad (again)...I was right the first time. ORL 25 frp (top 5) and ORL 24 srp

We also have that DEN pick, but I didn't want to insult you :lol: (that comes in if you free Simons from his overpaid backup fate)

Ok, done deal then! :D
For Brogdon.
I doubt we move simons until next deadline at the earliest. Barring a ridiculous overpay

I'd be all for a ridiculous overpay as long it was primarily picks being overpaid
Fultz (stop telling me you don't want him, it's just expiring salary), Chuma Okeke (same, but pretty promising, imo), 2 ORL firsts w/limited protection (top 5?), DEN 25 frp (already has top 5)

How about we go biggggg....
POR sends Ayton :o and Simons
ORL sends Wendell Carter (better than Ayton at this point at 1/3 salary), Isaac, Fultz, Gary Harris (all expiring or non-guaranteed)
plus ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp, all of our srps forever

ORL takes on Ayton risk (he might come around with Paolo & Franz next to him or he might hate the role. Either way, his contract ends just when Paolo's max extension hits). POR frees up a ton of money (I still contend that paying Simons $25m when Sharpe & Scoot are the future is short-sighted). Harris is actually a solid rotation 3&D SG that might re-sign for a team-friendly deal. IF Isaac can stay healthy...he's a DPOY candidate. He's playing very well now- in limited minutes. Worst scenario, you waive him and clear $17m next season. I'd say his likely longevity looks a lot better than Time Lord's :cry:

Deal. Now you just have to get all of the other posters on your board to agree. :lol:
zzaj
General Manager

Post#122 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:36 pm

tester551 wrote:Any thoughts on the validity of this?

Read on Twitter

Can't be getting my hopes up like this...obviously, for a team like Portland any value coming in for a waste of a roster spot is a good thing.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,724

Post#123 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:39 pm

zzaj wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:Ok, done deal then! :D
For Brogdon.
I doubt we move simons until next deadline at the earliest. Barring a ridiculous overpay

I'd be all for a ridiculous overpay as long it was primarily picks being overpaid
Fultz (stop telling me you don't want him, it's just expiring salary), Chuma Okeke (same, but pretty promising, imo), 2 ORL firsts w/limited protection (top 5?), DEN 25 frp (already has top 5)

ORL sends Wendell Carter (better than Ayton at this point at 1/3 salary), Isaac, Fultz, Gary Harris (all expiring or non-guaranteed)

ORL takes on Ayton risk (he might come around with Paolo & Franz next to him or he might hate the role. Either way, his contract ends just when Paolo's max extension hits). POR frees up a ton of money (I still contend that paying Simons $25m when Sharpe & Scoot are the future is short-sighted). Harris is actually a solid rotation 3&D SG that might re-sign for a team-friendly deal. IF Isaac can stay healthy...he's a DPOY candidate. He's playing very well now- in limited minutes. Worst scenario, you waive him and clear $17m next season. I'd say his likely longevity looks a lot better than Time Lord's :cry:

Deal. Now you just have to get all of the other posters on your board to agree. :lol:

I was hoping you'd talk to them for me. :roll:
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#124 » by cucad8 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter

It's a bummer he went down because, with all of the other Cs that have had injuries this season, we likely would have been able to make a very good trade for him. As is, though I love the idea of him as a backup C, I don't trust his health whatsoever, and so if we got an expiring and some 2nds, or consolidated our 2nds for late 1st or something, sure!
zzaj
General Manager

Post#125 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:55 pm

Skybox wrote:
zzaj wrote:
Skybox wrote:

I was hoping you'd talk to them for me. :roll:

I KNOW BETTER!
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,937

Post#126 » by JasonStern » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:28 pm

Skybox wrote:I'd love to know what calls are taking place re: Brogdon

He'd help a lot of teams, none more than ORL. I wish they'd just step up and make the offer that gets it done (expiring & pick(s)). He'd fit so seamlessly, right into the starting backcourt, next to Suggs.

I don't mind "losing a trade" on paper - especially with the bloated valuation of picks outside the top 5. It's malpractice to "lose a season", when you've got young guys like Paolo & Franz, racing towards big extensions, and you don't take a swing, considering that your team is ready to win, defensively, already.

ORL sends: Fultz & Chuma (both expriring), ORL 25 frp (top 5), ORL 24 srp for Brogdon

*I just know, any day now, we're going to read about MB being dealt for some confusing mishmash of srps, etc :nonono:

*I'm a regular "interloper" here....for the record, I'd add a LOT more for Simons (but most POR fans are clinging)

Works for me. Unless the Blazers are high on some foreign prospect that they want to stash overseas, you could probably keep the 2nd. The Blazers already have 4 picks in the 2024 draft. I know the Blazers could package a bunch of picks to try to move up. But it's looking like a weak draft. Not sure many teams would value quantity over quality.

Regarding Simons, I don't get the hate. I'm not hyping him up like I do Sharpe. But, he's still a proficient scorer with some (albeit poor) point guard skills that can get hot. If you view him as a slightly smaller Jamal Crawford - nothing more, nothing less - he's great at that. And Crawford had a way above average career, even if he was never a star. He's viewed as the best sixth man to play the game, which coincidentally is where Ant would thrive, destroying 2nd team defenders while being less of a liability on defense.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
zzaj
General Manager

Post#127 » by zzaj » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:38 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Skybox wrote:I'd love to know what calls are taking place re: Brogdon

He'd help a lot of teams, none more than ORL. I wish they'd just step up and make the offer that gets it done (expiring & pick(s)). He'd fit so seamlessly, right into the starting backcourt, next to Suggs.

I don't mind "losing a trade" on paper - especially with the bloated valuation of picks outside the top 5. It's malpractice to "lose a season", when you've got young guys like Paolo & Franz, racing towards big extensions, and you don't take a swing, considering that your team is ready to win, defensively, already.

ORL sends: Fultz & Chuma (both expriring), ORL 25 frp (top 5), ORL 24 srp for Brogdon

*I just know, any day now, we're going to read about MB being dealt for some confusing mishmash of srps, etc :nonono:

*I'm a regular "interloper" here....for the record, I'd add a LOT more for Simons (but most POR fans are clinging)

Works for me. Unless the Blazers are high on some foreign prospect that they want to stash overseas, you could probably keep the 2nd. The Blazers already have 4 picks in the 2024 draft. I know the Blazers could package a bunch of picks to try to move up. But it's looking like a weak draft. Not sure many teams would value quantity over quality.

Regarding Simons, I don't get the hate. I'm not hyping him up like I do Sharpe. But, he's still a proficient scorer with some (albeit poor) point guard skills that can get hot. If you view him as a slightly smaller Jamal Crawford - nothing more, nothing less - he's great at that. And Crawford had a way above average career, even if he was never a star. He's viewed as the best sixth man to play the game, which coincidentally is where Ant would thrive, destroying 2nd team defenders while being less of a liability on defense.

The issue with Simons isn’t really his PG skills—the era of “true” PGs is probably over. The issue is he loses as many possessions on the defensive end as he wins on the offensive end.

Most of us would LOVE for Ant to be the long-term 6th man, microwave scorer off
the bench…problem is, he’s paid like a starter, and he doesn’t have a veteran who is better than him, or even a better fit in the pecking order.

And this is deja vu for us…basically the CJ situation all over again.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,937

Post#128 » by JasonStern » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Not sure Jake Fischer's reputation, but the rumor is circulating:

Read on Twitter

Love Timelord, but Portland + Injury Prone Big Man tends to be a bad combination.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers