ImageImage

What to do with Brogdon and Williams

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

tester551
Analyst
And1: 829

Re: What to do with Brogdon and Williams 

Post#101 » by tester551 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:14 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:I like the WAS protected the most personally (24 Top-12, 25 Top-10, 26 Top-8) vs the DET protected pick (24 Top-18, 25 Top-13, 26 Top-11, 27 Top-9) -

Why is that?

For the '25 & '26 drafts both the Was pick protections are 3 slots lower than the Det protection. I get the slight advantage there... but I think it's only slight.

However, with the Det pick, you have one extra swing at having the pick convey in the '27 draft. Also, I think Det has more talent on the team. I think there's a high probability the WAS pick expires without conveying just because of the state of their franchise. There's a higher likelihood that Detroit improves with 1 good vet acquisition to fight for the playoffs
mighty_duck
Junior
And1: 153

Post#102 » by mighty_duck » Tue Jan 9, 2024 7:09 pm

I worry that neither DET or WAS will convey, given how poorly run these franchises are. DAL is the bird in the hand...
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,546

Post#103 » by zzaj » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:08 pm

I'm starting to wonder if some deal surrounding WCjr for Brogdon might make sense. Both have trouble staying healthy, but the Blazers need PF/C help in the worst way and when healthy WCjr is very versatile on both ends. Plus he's young enough to fit in.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 313

Post#104 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun Jan 14, 2024 8:57 pm

I like Brogdon. Old man pro game.
In with a trade to ORL involving WCJ. Send Timelord, too, unless he’s going to get healthy and be healthy. Really like Timelord.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#105 » by JasonStern » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:51 pm

Read on Twitter
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,679

Post#106 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:57 pm

JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully not trading grant is a smoke screen but I tend to buy we are keeping him unfortunately
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#107 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:59 pm

HoopsFanAZ wrote:I like Brogdon. Old man pro game.
In with a trade to ORL involving WCJ. Send Timelord, too, unless he’s going to get healthy and be healthy. Really like Timelord.

I don't think there's any reason to deal timelord just for the heck of it. We have most of our bad contracts off the books in 3 off seasons and are below the tax so we might as well sit on time lord and see
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#108 » by JasonStern » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:25 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
HoopsFanAZ wrote:I like Brogdon. Old man pro game.

I don't think there's any reason to deal timelord just for the heck of it. We have most of our bad contracts off the books in 3 off seasons and are below the tax so we might as well sit on time lord and see

Timelord has Brandon Roy knees. It sucks. He's a fun player. But expectations should be managed.

That said, the picks from Boston were the main objective. He isn't overly paid. And if the Blazers can properly load manage him, he can hopefully last for a while as a minute restricted backup. And at 26, you hope he can hold his body together for a few more seasons.

But value wise, he was and is a negative contract. And getting out of his contract was a major reason why the Jrue to Boston trade happened. And before someone goes full Golden State ranting on Boston, I'm sure that Portland knew what they were getting into. They just cared more about getting a pick and doing Jrue right than taking on some dead salary early in a rebuild.

And again, I'm rooting for the guy. He seems awesome.
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#109 » by JasonStern » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:29 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully not trading grant is a smoke screen but I tend to buy we are keeping him unfortunately

Management seems high on him. And he was acquired with a #25 pick. Now he's well paid. I don't think the market is as high as Blazers fans hope.

Personally, I'm indifferent. He's a fun player to watch but doesn't really fit the rebuild.
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM

Post#110 » by PDXKnight » Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:49 pm

JasonStern wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
Read on Twitter

Management seems high on him. And he was acquired with a #25 pick. Now he's well paid. I don't think the market is as high as Blazers fans hope.

Personally, I'm indifferent. He's a fun player to watch but doesn't really fit the rebuild.

I'd take a similar pick and cap space or a shorter contract for him. Sounds like teams don't think his contract is absurd.

I'd imagine portland would be wanting 2 firsts & a piece moving forward, that's probably a long shot
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,722

Post#111 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:13 pm

I'd love to know what calls are taking place re: Brogdon

He'd help a lot of teams, none more than ORL. I wish they'd just step up and make the offer that gets it done (expiring & pick(s)). He'd fit so seamlessly, right into the starting backcourt, next to Suggs.

I don't mind "losing a trade" on paper - especially with the bloated valuation of picks outside the top 5. It's malpractice to "lose a season", when you've got young guys like Paolo & Franz, racing towards big extensions, and you don't take a swing, considering that your team is ready to win, defensively, already.

ORL sends: Fultz & Chuma (both expriring), ORL 25 frp (top 5), ORL 24 srp for Brogdon

*I just know, any day now, we're going to read about MB being dealt for some confusing mishmash of srps, etc :nonono:

*I'm a regular "interloper" here....for the record, I'd add a LOT more for Simons (but most POR fans are clinging)
cucad8
Head Coach
And1: 1,141

Post#112 » by cucad8 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:19 pm

Skybox wrote:I'd love to know what calls are taking place re: Brogdon

He'd help a lot of teams, none more than ORL. I wish they'd just step up and make the offer that gets it done (expiring & pick(s)). He'd fit so seamlessly, right into the starting backcourt, next to Suggs.

I don't mind "losing a trade" on paper - especially with the bloated valuation of picks outside the top 5. It's malpractice to "lose a season", when you've got young guys like Paolo & Franz, racing towards big extensions, and you don't take a swing, considering that your team is ready to win, defensively, already.

ORL sends: Fultz & Chuma (both expriring), ORL 25 frp (top 5), ORL 24 srp for Brogdon

*I just know, any day now, we're going to read about MB being dealt for some confusing mishmash of srps, etc :nonono:

*I'm a regular "interloper" here....for the record, I'd add a LOT more for Simons (but most POR fans are clinging)

Done deal for me. It makes too much sense, and I feel is one of those realgm deals that ultimately gets spoken in to existence
Skybox
RealGM

Post#113 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:31 pm

cucad8 wrote:

Done deal for me. It makes too much sense, and I feel is one of those realgm deals that ultimately gets spoken in to existence

I realize I mis-typed...DEN 25 frp (ORL couldn't trade back to backs)...also, would have been ORL 24 preferred, but I believe POR already has a few.
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#114 » by cucad8 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:36 pm

Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:

I realize I mis-typed...DEN 25 frp (ORL couldn't trade back to backs)...also, would have been ORL 24 preferred, but I believe POR already has a few.

So is it denver '25 1st, ORL '24 2nd?
Skybox
RealGM

Post#115 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:40 pm

cucad8 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:Done deal for me. It makes too much sense, and I feel is one of those realgm deals that ultimately gets spoken in to existence

My bad (again)...I was right the first time. ORL 25 frp (top 5) and ORL 24 srp

We also have that DEN pick, but I didn't want to insult you :lol: (that comes in if you free Simons from his overpaid backup fate)
cucad8
Head Coach

Post#116 » by cucad8 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:42 pm

Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:
Skybox wrote:

We also have that DEN pick, but I didn't want to insult you :lol: (that comes in if you free Simons from his overpaid backup fate)

Ok, done deal then! :D
For Brogdon.
I doubt we move simons until next deadline at the earliest. Barring a ridiculous overpay
tester551
Analyst

Post#117 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:48 pm

cucad8 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:So is it denver '25 1st, ORL '24 2nd?

For Brogdon.
I doubt we move simons until next deadline at the earliest. Barring a ridiculous overpay

Yep. Where do we sign?

Brogdon <=> Fultz + Chuma + ORL 25 frp (top 5) + ORL 24 srp

The only other offer that I think could possibly beat this is the Knicks.... if they include the '24 Detroit pick. That one has more variability, but I think it has a high chance of being very good.
Skybox
RealGM

Post#118 » by Skybox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:52 pm

cucad8 wrote:
Skybox wrote:
cucad8 wrote:So is it denver '25 1st, ORL '24 2nd?

For Brogdon.

I'd be all for a ridiculous overpay as long it was primarily picks being overpaid
Fultz (stop telling me you don't want him, it's just expiring salary), Chuma Okeke (same, but pretty promising, imo), 2 ORL firsts w/limited protection (top 5?), DEN 25 frp (already has top 5)

How about we go biggggg....
POR sends Ayton :o and Simons
ORL sends Wendell Carter (better than Ayton at this point at 1/3 salary), Isaac, Fultz, Gary Harris (all expiring or non-guaranteed)
plus ORL 25 frp, DEN 25 frp, all of our srps forever

ORL takes on Ayton risk (he might come around with Paolo & Franz next to him or he might hate the role. Either way, his contract ends just when Paolo's max extension hits). POR frees up a ton of money (I still contend that paying Simons $25m when Sharpe & Scoot are the future is short-sighted). Harris is actually a solid rotation 3&D SG that might re-sign for a team-friendly deal. IF Isaac can stay healthy...he's a DPOY candidate. He's playing very well now- in limited minutes. Worst scenario, you waive him and clear $17m next season. I'd say his likely longevity looks a lot better than Time Lord's :cry:
tester551
Analyst

Post#119 » by tester551 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:58 pm

Any thoughts on the validity of this?

Read on Twitter
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,945

Post#120 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:30 pm

tester551 wrote:Any thoughts on the validity of this?

Read on Twitter

Done. A rebuilding team like us shouldnt be investing much in a oft injured high end backup C.

Would move RWIII for a Houston EC (Dipo) and that BRK 26 FRP (HOU would rightfully demand LP - fine w/ that).

Return to Portland Trail Blazers