ImageImage

Why not Poku?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,416

Why not Poku? 

Post#1 » by JRoy » Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:54 am

Released by OKC, has some talent and we can use some front court players that can play?

Is he worth a look or not?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Re: Why not Poku? 

Post#2 » by Dame Lizard » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:53 am

Absolutely he's worth a look. A low likelihood, high reward, but low risk punt is exactly what we should be doing right now.

We shouldn't be trading picks away for such a gamble, but if it's just claiming him off waivers and paying some salary, it's worth it for me.
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#3 » by Goldbum » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:08 pm

After the Duop contract and Babton trade, do we have enough space to grab Poku under the tax?
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#4 » by JasonStern » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:44 pm

Goldbum wrote:After the Duop contract and Babton trade, do we have enough space to grab Poku under the tax?

Wizenheimer would know.

Hungover math has me think we couldn't pick him up off of waivers. But if he cleared waivers, he could be picked up on a two way contract. The other avenue would be if the Blazers got a hardship exemption from losing Timelord, Sharpe, etc. But that's probably a harder path to go down.

Honestly, he's not that good. And would probably make more playing in the Euroleague than trying to stick in the NBA. This was his 4th season, and OKC decided it was better to cut ties entirely rather than ride out his contract. He wasn't waived for roster spot/trade reasons. He was waived because a team decided he was not in the top 450 basketball players in the world. And there is something suspicious attitude wise when someone can't just ride out an expiring contract.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#5 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:16 pm

Claimed off waivers for $5+ million is more than unlikely.
After clearing waivers, do it.
If the waivers was rescinded, trade in a package for Matisse. [EDITED: To be more clear and accurate … I would have preferred Thybulle was traded before the deadline for Poku in a package.]
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#6 » by tester551 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:26 am

Goldbum wrote:After the Duop contract and Babton trade, do we have enough space to grab Poku under the tax?

No.
Portland currently sits ~$1.3M below the tax threshold.
https://www.spotrac.com/nba/portland-trail-blazers/cap/
To claim Poku, you have to take on the full salary for the year (~$5M)

HoopsFanAZ wrote:Claimed off waivers for $5+ million is more than unlikely.
After clearing waivers, do it.
If the waivers was rescinded, trade in a package for Matisse.

Signing him as an UFA after he clears waivers is the only way at this point.

OKC can not rescind waiving him and we are beyond the trade deadline. No trades allowed until after the season ends.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 816

Post#7 » by tester551 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 4:30 am

JasonStern wrote:

Wizenheimer would know.

Hungover math has me think we couldn't pick him up off of waivers. But if he cleared waivers, he could be picked up on a two way contract. The other avenue would be if the Blazers got a hardship exemption from losing Timelord, Sharpe, etc. But that's probably a harder path to go down.

Honestly, he's not that good. And would probably make more playing in the Euroleague than trying to stick in the NBA. This was his 4th season, and OKC decided it was better to cut ties entirely rather than ride out his contract. He wasn't waived for roster spot/trade reasons. He was waived because a team decided he was not in the top 450 basketball players in the world. And there is something suspicious attitude wise when someone can't just ride out an expiring contract.

Timelord's hardship exemption does not change the calculus regarding tax line. It's just a tool to be able to acquire another player. The roster limits still apply (max of 15) and ALL salary still counts toward the tax line.

I'm guessing Poku asked to get released. If he's wanting a new opportunity/chance to revive his career - I can see OKC waiving him as a 'favor'.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#8 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:19 pm

Huge Poku guy here and really hope we take a swing. Much more interesting than Danalo, and much younger too.

I am higher on Poku than Kris and Rayan.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,471

Post#9 » by Pattycakes » Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:23 pm

Sure.. but the 7/8 man on the bench should be the last thing the team is worried about.

I’m more curious what we are going to do with Brogdon, Grant and Ayton - and even more curious what we can do to develop scoot/shae/ant into well rounded players.

Then.. let’s have a talk about the end of the bench.

Lol
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#10 » by Blazinaway » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:09 am

Pattycakes wrote:Sure.. but the 7/8 man on the bench should be the last thing the team is worried about.

I’m more curious what we are going to do with Brogdon, Grant and Ayton - and even more curious what we can do to develop scoot/shae/ant into well rounded players.

Lol

I view ANT much differently than SS and Scoot, he is pretty much what he is and IMO won't change all that much- good scoring combo guard who is a poor defender, Scoot just turned 20, had a rough start but was improving so he could develop a lot on both sides of the ball, SS is similar and has shown more than Scoot but has "concerns" as well, and unfortunately with his injuries is not getting the playing time we had hoped for which slows his development. We simply need more talent and time to develop it assuming mgmt is in fact going for a full rebuild which I am not 100% sure is the case
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,891

Post#11 » by JasonStern » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:46 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I am higher on Poku than Kris and Rayan.

No! Rayan is the best of the three if you had to take a gamble. He has all of the physical attributes needed to thrive in the modern league. But as a Blazers fan, a 6′ 6″ wing with a wingspan of 7′ 3″ isn't something we luck into very often. Question is whether he can translate that into actual NBA talent.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#12 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:53 am

Blazinaway wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:Sure.. but the 7/8 man on the bench should be the last thing the team is worried about.
Lol

I view ANT much differently than SS and Scoot, he is pretty much what he is and IMO won't change all that much- good scoring combo guard who is a poor defender, Scoot just turned 20, had a rough start but was improving so he could develop a lot on both sides of the ball, SS is similar and has shown more than Scoot but has "concerns" as well, and unfortunately with his injuries is not getting the playing time we had hoped for which slows his development. We simply need more talent and time to develop it assuming mgmt is in fact going for a full rebuild which I am not 100% sure is the case

Ant does have some give a sh** about defense, some effort — but unless he dedicated himself to skills and ability needed on D, then he’s a shooting guard at 3 levels with some playmaking — AND he’d still be several inches too short to remain a Blazer long term. Scoot and Sharpe have complementary games.

If Ant was traded for bigger help this summer AND the Blazers draft 2 non-guard-lottery-picks THEN Brogdon could remain as the 6th man at both guard positions.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers