ImageImage

Game 62: Portland vs Toronto 7:00pm Root, Root+

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Re: Game 62: Portland vs Toronto 7:00pm Root, Root+ 

Post#21 » by zzaj » Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:12 pm

Goldbum wrote:I think it's going to end up being 1 of :Sarr,Williams,Matas,Holland with our pick and either Tyler Smith, Salaun or Furphy with the GSW pick. If tankathon is right about the guys available in round 2 I would take the 2 Kentucky disappointments, Justin Edwards and either Bradshaw or Big Z. I could also see us trading both 2nds for a lie 1st to take DaRon Holmes. I'm SUPER HIGH on Holmes like maybe GSW pick high on him... I think Smith could actually start for us next season if we draft him, 6'11" guys with athleticism, shooting nearly 40% from NBA 3pt range are hard to find.

I like Tyler Smith too, but he's closer to NBA league average from three than 40%. I think he'll be a PF in the NBA. Personally, I think his weak rebounding puts him in backup PF territory. Likewise, I like Holmes but given he'll be almost 22 on draft day, I think he likely ends up as a 12/4 backup PF in the NBA.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#22 » by JasonStern » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:17 pm

monopoman wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
The Sebastian Express wrote:We must lose this game. Blowing that lead was crucial. Both San Antonio and Charlotte won today. A pivotol loss is possible!

Feels like we will be 5th no matter what

The Hornets have a harder remaining schedule arguably a worse coach

You lost me here.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#23 » by JasonStern » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:20 pm

Pattycakes wrote:DA legit looked like the big man we need last night. Hopefully something worth sticking.

He can push around 90% of nba centers like olynyk all day if he simply wants to.

Don’t care about ws and ls, but that… something to be hopeful about

Will keep reiterating that if he wasn't a former #1 pick on a max contract, he'd be a fan favorite. Some psychological thing fans have. Banton was a "steal", thus a fan favorite. But Ayton putting up better stats is ignored.
- Chauncey Billups
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#24 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:34 pm

Goldbum wrote:I think it's going to end up being 1 of :Sarr,Williams,Matas,Holland with our pick and either Tyler Smith, Salaun or Furphy with the GSW pick. If tankathon is right about the guys available in round 2 I would take the 2 Kentucky disappointments, Justin Edwards and either Bradshaw or Big Z. I could also see us trading both 2nds for a lie 1st to take DaRon Holmes. I'm SUPER HIGH on Holmes like maybe GSW pick high on him... I think Smith could actually start for us next season if we draft him, 6'11" guys with athleticism, shooting nearly 40% from NBA 3pt range are hard to find.

I would be all in on a Matas + Furphy draft class w/ the SRP used on bigs (Ivisic still seems to be mocked in R2, would love him w/ the CHA SRP)

PDX FRP - Matas Buzelis F
GSW FRP - Johnny Furphy F
CHA SRP - Zvonimir Ivisic C (Albeit I 100% think he ends up in the 1st)
ATL SRP - Euro Stash Big (IDK who - but we cant roster 4 guys and IMO this SRP will be high enough that I would prefer not to 'punt' it off for some future picks)
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,234

Post#25 » by monopoman » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:41 am

JasonStern wrote:
monopoman wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:
Feels like we will be 5th no matter what

You lost me here.

I've seen many Hornets fans act like their coach is truly the worst in the NBA, so I am going by what they say. Sure maybe they are wrong either way it's pretty damn obvious both coaches are likely to be fired in the near future.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#26 » by JasonStern » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:04 pm

monopoman wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
monopoman wrote:

You lost me here.

I've seen many Hornets fans act like their coach is truly the worst in the NBA, so I am going by what they say. Sure maybe they are wrong either way it's pretty damn obvious both coaches are likely to be fired in the near future.

The players like Billups. While I feel he's a terrible coach, I admit that I often overlook that. Like he can be out-coached schematically, but being both out-coached and having the players hate you is certainly worse. That said, Billups is certainly the worst play caller and time manager. But as a team, we know where we are at now. So, it really comes down to whether Billups can develop young talent or not.
- Chauncey Billups
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#27 » by PDXKnight » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:23 am

JasonStern wrote:
monopoman wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
You lost me here.

The players like Billups. While I feel he's a terrible coach, I admit that I often overlook that. Like he can be out-coached schematically, but being both out-coached and having the players hate you is certainly worse. That said, Billups is certainly the worst play caller and time manager. But as a team, we know where we are at now. So, it really comes down to whether Billups can develop young talent or not.

I'm not saying it's the right call but I sort of expect Chauncey to be coach heading into next season, although probably on a pretty short leash. My prediction is a march 2025 firing
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#28 » by JasonStern » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:56 pm

PDXKnight wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
monopoman wrote:

I'm not saying it's the right call but I sort of expect Chauncey to be coach heading into next season, although probably on a pretty short leash. My prediction is a march 2025 firing

With the games being on Root now, I just watch the YouTube game highlight videos. Chauncey being the coach doesn't annoy me as much as when I was watching full games. Player development is what really matters now. Billups can yell "I FORMATION!" - which is a football thing - for all I care, so long as the young players are developing. And they have shown some flashes. But Sharpe and Scoot being injured has been a pretty big setback that kills interest in the team.
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers