ImageImage

Game 63: Portland vs Boston 7:30pm Root, Root+, NBAtv

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

soobias
Pro Prospect
And1: 85

Re: Game 63: Portland vs Boston 7:30pm Root, Root+, NBAtv 

Post#21 » by soobias » Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:55 am

for me its hard to say what i would trade for without knowing what was on the table if anything was. and scoot might turn out ok or he might be a overpriced #3 pick in years to come.
if something was on the table of trading down for maybe a couple pick like the 2 rooks houston got, i might have done that or a lower pick in same draft plus maybe future pick(s) idk but so far to me it looks like every other player that has played pg for the blazers this year looks more comfortable than him and so does pritchard (boston) i know hes had 3 years but he looked more ready yr 1 .

also if i were ownership i wouldve thrown a lot of money at a coach like ime or someone thats going to get the team to play hard and play for each other, before the season started no one had houston winning many games but they play hard every night.
now i wouldnt have signed FVV or brooks but hey :dontknow: .
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#22 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:45 pm

zzaj wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Posting the raw stats of the Thompson twins is a bit disingenuous - they have both shown elite defensive abilities which isnt going to be fleshed out in a simple ppg/apg/rpg stat line.

The player we thought we were getting in Scoot (IE a Rose lite') is someone you take over the Thompson twins. But if Scoot is only destined to be a role player I certainly would take the taller, more athletic, better defensive super role players that the Thompsons' project over the type of role player Scoot will project.

I want to say he could be Marcus Smart but I dont see the same defensive IQ or hustle (Not saying Scoot doesnt hustle, just that Smart is a uniquely intense hustle guy).

The guy Scoot reminds me the most of right now is Dennis Smith JR.

Also why on earth is Kris getting the starting nod over Camara. Outside one being a SRP and one being a FRP I can see zero reasoning. Murray has not displayed a single skill that I would say is better than anything Camara has to offer.

So would you have taken either of the Thompson's over Scoot then?

My dream was pretty much always to trade down w/ HOU and get Tari Easton then draft Jarace Walker (With Anthony Black a close 2nd).

I wasnt as high during the draft but with his showing this year I think I would, in retrospect, take Bilal.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#23 » by zzaj » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:36 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Posting the raw stats of the Thompson twins is a bit disingenuous - they have both shown elite defensive abilities which isnt going to be fleshed out in a simple ppg/apg/rpg stat line.

The player we thought we were getting in Scoot (IE a Rose lite') is someone you take over the Thompson twins. But if Scoot is only destined to be a role player I certainly would take the taller, more athletic, better defensive super role players that the Thompsons' project over the type of role player Scoot will project.

Also why on earth is Kris getting the starting nod over Camara. Outside one being a SRP and one being a FRP I can see zero reasoning. Murray has not displayed a single skill that I would say is better than anything Camara has to offer.

Disingenuous means I'm purposely trying to hide something--I'm not. You're right that both Thompsons have "shown elite defensive abilities"...to a lesser extent Scoot has also flashed elite passing ability.

So my questions are:
1) If the Thompsons never learn how to shoot or finish at the rim consistently, is being only an elite defender/connector piece worth much in today's NBA?
2) Right now, in a redraft would you take either of the Thompsons over Scoot?

As for the Kris vs. Camara question--my best guess is Chauncey is trying to reward players for good games and adjusting lineups for matchups, which I guess is...a strategy. Seems like at PF he's using Kris, Camara, and Jabari interchangeably...I don't think it makes much sense either, honestly.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#24 » by zzaj » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:44 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I want to say he could be Marcus Smart but I dont see the same defensive IQ or hustle (Not saying Scoot doesnt hustle, just that Smart is a uniquely intense hustle guy).

The guy Scoot reminds me the most of right now is Dennis Smith JR.

So would you have taken either of the Thompson's over Scoot then?

My dream was pretty much always to trade down w/ HOU and get Tari Easton then draft Jarace Walker (With Anthony Black a close 2nd).

I wasnt as high during the draft but with his showing this year I think I would, in retrospect, take Bilal.

I liked Black a lot and think he's getting used improperly in Orlando in the minutes he's getting--they don't have the right team construction right now for a SF/ballhandler. I expect he's going to get a lot better in the next two years. I also liked Walker, but didn't really see him as the right fit if Grant was going to be here through the length of his contract.

I never really bought into the #3 pick being valuable enough to put an All Star next to Lillard. It's pretty rare and complicated to make those kinds of trades happen. Blazers certainly could have traded down...

It's going to be really interesting to see how this class looks in 2027.
The Sebastian Express
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
And1: 9,841

Post#25 » by The Sebastian Express » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:18 pm

I would like to trade Ant for Black, since we're speaking about him, but I doubt Orlando would do that one.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#26 » by JasonStern » Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:19 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Also why on earth is Kris getting the starting nod over Camara. Outside one being a SRP and one being a FRP I can see zero reasoning. Murray has not displayed a single skill that I would say is better than anything Camara has to offer.

Yeah. Murray has been a bit of a disappointment. Not stressing as he was a late 1st round pick. The young guys take time to develop, if they develop. But put me in team Rayan Rupert. Super high bust probability. But damn! If he does pan out to even just be starter tier, he's everything we've missed since Batum was traded.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups

Return to Portland Trail Blazers