ImageImage

DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Re: DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG 

Post#21 » by Pattycakes » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:11 pm

zzaj wrote:The Blazers may already have their backup PG. They need to have Starters that impact winning.

This team is historically bad. 2 60 point losses in a single season when that's only happened 7 times in the past 50 years? Nobody is sacred on this team at this stage, because they are incapable of winning.

That being said? The quartet of Scoot/Ant/Sharpe/Ayton have only played 4 games together this season. So nobody really knows anything about what they look like together.

These 4 plus Brogdon and Grant, and to another degree - Kamara/Walker/Reath/Murray these are ALL nba quality players. This is why I don’t quite get the hopelessness vibes some put off here lol. Obv tanking year is obv
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,534

Post#22 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 4, 2024 10:09 pm

Pattycakes wrote:
zzaj wrote:The Blazers may already have their backup PG. They need to have Starters that impact winning.

This team is historically bad. 2 60 point losses in a single season when that's only happened 7 times in the past 50 years? Nobody is sacred on this team at this stage, because they are incapable of winning.

That being said? The quartet of Scoot/Ant/Sharpe/Ayton have only played 4 games together this season. So nobody really knows anything about what they look like together.

These 4 plus Brogdon and Grant, and to another degree - Kamara/Walker/Reath/Murray these are ALL nba quality players. This is why I don’t quite get the hopelessness vibes some put off here lol. Obv tanking year is obv

If only the Blazers had an NBA quality coach, lol...

Seriously though, the Blazers are second in the league games missed due to injury. This season is truly a lost season. Basically none of the questions coming in were answered.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#23 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:55 pm

Scoot isnt a NBA caliber player right now.
Simons is a 6th man on a team that wants to win, or a starter on a team with ballhandling wings and surrounded by great defenders.
Sharpe is all potential.
Ayton is about as hot and cold as it gets and his lack of getting to the line or shooting the 3 will forever minimize his impact.
Grant is a 4th option on a good team being paid as a #2 option.
Brogdan is a quality 5th starter or 6th man on a good team (As he was a 6th man in BOS).
Kamara might be a decent role playing low usage 5th starter.
Walker is a dime a dozen tweener.
Reath is a middling backup C.
Kris is absolute trash.

Currently the absolute upside for this team is play-in squad. We have no clear blue chip young talent (Sharpe may be, but he really hasnt displayed the motor or consistency to be labeled a cornerstone). Scoot is playing at a level nearly any G-Leauge guy could show if given the same usage.

And to top it off our first 'true' tank season is in the leadup to what is considered a historically bad draft, at least in terms of blue chip talent.

I just dont see the talent others are talking about. Ya, maybe the talent to be a .45% to .50% team but long term the vets are not pushing us into contention and the youth is FAR from anything to be excited about.

When comparing us to OKC I dont see a SGA, I dont see a Chet, I dont see a Jalen Williams. I am not sure I even see a Josh Giddey (The way Josh is playing as of late is far above anything we have seen from Scoot or Sharpe).
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#24 » by red_power » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:14 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:Scoot isnt a NBA caliber player right now.
Simons is a 6th man on a team that wants to win, or a starter on a team with ballhandling wings and surrounded by great defenders.
Sharpe is all potential.

Which makes me think Cody Williams will be a best addition to this team on the draft night
(Sarr is not far behing btw)
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
Moonbeam
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 4,939

Post#25 » by Moonbeam » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:36 am

Portland just needs to try to get whatever talent they can. None of the Blazers’ current players are stars or are likely to be stars within the next 3 years, IMO.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#26 » by Norm2953 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 5:32 am

This upcoming draft is likely going to be great for teams who are seeking depth pieces
but it'll be interesting to see Edey, who in the right system, could really flourish for at
7-4 300 lbs, he's going to be a load to match up with in limited minutes.

As far as the current roster, if we had a coach who really knew how to develop his young
players, next years squad might win 35 games Assuming Scoot can stay on the court and
play in 75 games he'll be better in his soph season.

I think the team needs a big, physical player up front to fit between Ayton/Grant assuming
both return. Team still has 4 guards who can play in the league and has some depth pieces
all over the roster
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#27 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:23 pm

Norm2953 wrote:This upcoming draft is likely going to be great for teams who are seeking depth pieces
but it'll be interesting to see Edey, who in the right system, could really flourish for at
7-4 300 lbs, he's going to be a load to match up with in limited minutes.

As far as the current roster, if we had a coach who really knew how to develop his young
players, next years squad might win 35 games Assuming Scoot can stay on the court and
play in 75 games he'll be better in his soph season.

I think the team needs a big, physical player up front to fit between Ayton/Grant assuming
both return. Team still has 4 guards who can play in the league and has some depth pieces
all over the roster

DaRon Holmes fits the bill at 4 if he test well athletically. Developed a 3 this past year, decent passer, big but mobile, good shot blocking. I think he is highly underrated, in this poor draft should be a late lotto guy but being listed closer to late R1.

But, I am not convinced he has enough lateral mobility to guard 4's. Hope he gets played at PF in the scrimmages leading up to the draft to see how he does.

Tristan da Silva is going to be a super good role playing swing forward but not sure he has the upside for being taken w/ the GSW FRP. Think he is the Jacquez of this draft - will get picked by a later team and play immediatley.

Ryan Dunn would be such a great prospect if he was even a Thybulle level shooter - but no 3PT shot + 55% FT is a stock killer to me.
Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,958

Post#28 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Apr 9, 2024 6:02 am

Good news: we have three backup points guards -- Brogdon, Henderson, and Simons. We also have a promising backup shooting guard in Sharpe. Prolly 3-9 interesting forwards too. And Reath is a guy!

Just need five starters and we're off to the races!
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#29 » by Blazinaway » Tue Apr 9, 2024 7:26 pm

Tim Lehrbach wrote:Good news: we have three backup points guards -- Brogdon, Henderson, and Simons. We also have a promising backup shooting guard in Sharpe. Prolly 3-9 interesting forwards too. And Reath is a guy!

Do we not consider Banton a backup PG?
BlazersBroncos
RealGM

Post#30 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 9, 2024 8:32 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
Tim Lehrbach wrote:Good news: we have three backup points guards -- Brogdon, Henderson, and Simons. We also have a promising backup shooting guard in Sharpe. Prolly 3-9 interesting forwards too. And Reath is a guy!

Do we not consider Banton a backup PG?

I think he is a SG with some PG abilities. Would rather not count on him to initiate the offense but especially guard opposing PG's.

Regardless, with Banton showing some skill and being closer to our age timeline / insanely cheap we really need to figure out the guard rotation. It is an absolute mess with too many guys needing minutes and none being a legit Top-3 talent on a good team (So far at least).
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#31 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:47 am

JasonStern wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Unless both Brogdon and Simons are traded this summer it's looking like Scoot is our backup PG next year. I am a big fan of players earning their role and not being given minutes just because of their draft number so until he starts consistently looking like a starting caliber player he shouldn't be starting.

I agree but don't think that's the rationale behind a Brogdon/Simons starting lineup. Attendance is down because the team is absolute trash. Dame at least drew ticket sales. So, now revenue is down. A mediocre Portland team fills seats. So, let's rush the rebuild. Being bad for several years is a huge cost hit.

I hope they don't rush the rebuild just to be mediocre.

Blazers have a few good things on their side:
- Draft picks in every draft going forward.
- Tradeable assets in almost every player INCLUDING Scoot.
- A volatile Western Conference.

I think Cronin & staff needs to decide fast the identity of the team & how they want to do the rebuild.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#32 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:10 pm

cdubbz wrote:
JasonStern wrote:
DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Unless both Brogdon and Simons are traded this summer it's looking like Scoot is our backup PG next year. I am a big fan of players earning their role and not being given minutes just because of their draft number so until he starts consistently looking like a starting caliber player he shouldn't be starting.

I agree but don't think that's the rationale behind a Brogdon/Simons starting lineup. Attendance is down because the team is absolute trash. Dame at least drew ticket sales. So, now revenue is down. A mediocre Portland team fills seats. So, let's rush the rebuild. Being bad for several years is a huge cost hit.

I think Cronin & staff needs to decide fast the identity of the team & how they want to do the rebuild.

I think people forget how many games this year we were showing up in the first quarter. Lots of losses, a few crappy blow outs. Lots and lots of minutes to our 3rd string and guys that will probably be out of the league sooner than later.

I see the identity already, this was such an obvious tanking year to me, I guess I just accept it and see through that where I literally don’t even care what our record was.

We’re in very very good shape imo. Think we draft two guys this year in the lottery who both can play from day one, and get a full offseason for multiple guys who will benefit including at the top for me Scoot, Shae and Kamara.

Ayton despite his funky ego looks willing to be the hustle guy. Doesn’t seem like the team cancer many jump to.

I’ll admit I did not see us tanking this hard this year but I’m so happy we did. Showed us what we have, gave the guys who needed confidence a chance to develop it.

I’m chillin. Excited for the draft and will research top brews to pickup a 6 pack for in June. Ready for Scoot to change everyone’s minds next season. Maybe someone convinces Shae to be dominant and all stars align.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#33 » by cdubbz » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:08 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
red_power wrote:I would prefer to trade Scoot if he turns to keep this trash level after spending the coming summer

Man has he been a big pile of ugly.

He has had some games that look good if your just eying point and assist total but given his usage, quantity of shots, etc. he really isnt doing much that a G League dude couldnt do.

One thing to retain hope is that sometimes guys with such good FT% can figure out their 3PT shot - but its nowhere near a guarantee.

From age, to build, to a dissapointing rookie season right now Scoot looks horrifyingly like Emmanuel Mudiay.

I would think Blazers should have a strong feel of what Scoot can be moving forward. If they don't think he can be a solid rotation guy then yeah maybe best to move on now then waste the next 2 seasons as the starting PG? I didn't watch a lot of Blazers games, but from what i've seen his shooting can be a red flag. But who knows - with better players around him he may not need to be a scoring PG.

I'm high on Reed Sheppard from Kentucky. I think he has good feel for the game and can do a little of everything: playmaker, shooting, defense. He is listed at 6'3 so a normal sized PG. If he's not there at 12/13 I would be tempted to grab him with the higher pick or trade down for him.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#34 » by red_power » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:38 pm

cdubbz wrote:I'm high on Reed Sheppard from Kentucky. I think he has good feel for the game and can do a little of everything: playmaker, shooting, defense. He is listed at 6'3 so a normal sized PG. If he's not there at 12/13 I would be tempted to grab him with the higher pick or trade down for him.

It's true, there are some backcourt prospects available in this draft. But the only problem with all those PGs from the 2024 Draft class is whether a single one of them has better potential than even Ant Simons.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,892

Post#35 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:30 pm

cdubbz wrote:
JasonStern wrote:

I don't think it is as dramatic as RealGM makes it.

Quality players slip every draft. It's all about talent evaluation and then executing on acquiring the talent. Wembanyama is great. But talent like that isn't readily available.

Everyone craps on the 2024 draft. But everyone crapped on the 2006 draft, where we landed Brandon Roy and LaMarcus Aldridge. And Rondo, Lowry, and Millsap were also available. You just need to have great scouts and great luck.

But if the team was healthy, and you're paying Simons, Brogdon, and Ayton, and you win 30-40 games, I doubt it has much effect on the ability to rebuild. Management and ownership seems content with a pretender treadmill team. Just don't lose money.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#36 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:32 pm

Pattycakes wrote:Ayton despite his funky ego looks willing to be the hustle guy. Doesn’t seem like the team cancer many jump to.

I will consistently reiterate this point - if Ayton made half of what he is currently paid, everyone would love him. The hate comes from him not being a $32-35M/year player, which isn't his fault. Even if he is significantly overpaid, could you imagine Nurkić on this tankathon team? No disrespect to him, but he's a tempermental seasoned veteran. Not exactly someone like Grant and Brogdon that seem to embrace the veteran leader role. And I get that. Winner mentality versus leader mentality.
- Chauncey Billups
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#37 » by HoopsFanAZ » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:05 am

Moonbeam wrote:Portland just needs to try to get whatever talent they can. None of the Blazers’ current players are stars or are likely to be stars within the next 3 years, IMO.

Sharpe in 3 years …?
The injury didn’t help this year, but Sharpe’s leap year in year 3? By year 5 he could be a star, IMHO.
I’m with you on “get whatever talent they can.” … especially if they’re forwards.
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#38 » by JasonStern » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:41 pm

Ayton went #1.
In a weaker draft, Scoot could have went #1.
Had he actually played in college, Sharpe could have went #1.
The Blazers aren't as talent deprived as it seems. But they do need to actually develop the talent that they have.
- Chauncey Billups
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 540

Post#39 » by Goldbum » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:08 pm

At this point I would not be surprised if both Malcom and Ant are gone this off-season. Drafting a guy like Proctor or Pate (if they let him declare) with our second pick in round 2 makes some sense. I'm okay with giving our seconds 2 way deals to replace Manaya and Haggans.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#40 » by tester551 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:54 pm

Goldbum wrote:At this point I would not be surprised if both Malcom and Ant are gone this off-season. Drafting a guy like Proctor or Pate (if they let him declare) with our second pick in round 2 makes some sense. I'm okay with giving our seconds 2 way deals to replace Manaya and Haggans.

Juan Núñez - Ideal pick for the second round. I think he'll have a better NBA career than Topic

Return to Portland Trail Blazers