ImageImage

DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG 

Post#1 » by HoopsFanAZ » Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:55 am

Getting a back-up with a top pick is insane. At 13? Less insane but still not what is hoped for. Near the top of the 2nd round? Absolutely! [I would be seriously surprised by the 6’6 Nikola Topic in a Blazers uniform.]

I bring this line of thinking up because having a real back-up PG — who can run an offense and step up if needed — is flat-out an important piece in building a team. Brogdon is practically ideal playing both guard spots well at both ends … and starts until Scoot is ready … and old enough to then come off the bench. He needs to be healthy.

However, Brogdon is also the one most mentioned for trades given his age, contract and value. So who would be the backup PG? I don’t want Ant starting. And his coming off the bench is problematic. Keep Brogdon and you don’t have to look around for a new back-up PG, but Ant should be gone as he’s got value for a better team.

THE QUESTION: Who are your favorite PGs to draft @13? Any? OR … Who would be good in the low 30s?
Brandon-Clyde
RealGM
And1: 5,655

Re: DRAFTING A BACK-UP PG 

Post#2 » by Brandon-Clyde » Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:18 am

I would prefer a veteran backup pg if we don't keep both Brogdon or Simons. Someone using the vet min. If we draft a pg it should be in the 2nd round and be a project for long term goals.
There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." -- Ronald Reagan
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,890

Post#3 » by JasonStern » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:03 pm

I'd be slightly surprised if Brogdon or Grant get moved this offseason. Their value isn't as high as most fans think, management and Billups seems to love them, and they've embraced their roles as veterans on a rebuilding team.

But if you keep Brogdon, we're loaded at the guard position. I've vocally been the biggest Shaedon Sharpe fan on RealGM. And we just used the #3 pick on Scoot. I'd love a Scoot/Sharpe guard combination. But Brogdon/Simons are legitimately much better right now.

Honestly, we're a starting power forward away from being a play-in team. Brogdon/Simons/Grant/???/Ayton. That should win you 41 games and land you the 10th seed in the west. Treadmill team with zero chance of contending. But it'd keep attendance and thus revenue up. And at the end of the day, isn't that what the Vulcans really want?
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#4 » by Blazinaway » Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:00 pm

or draft another PG if they are BPA as Scoot's future as an eventual good starter has certainly taken a significant hit, he certainly gets more time but what he has shown this year is IMO not very encouraging, I really hope he succeeds as I don't want a wasted 3rd pick, we will see
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,964

Post#5 » by DusterBuster » Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 pm

This team can’t afford to draft for position right now. BPA, BPA, BPA
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#6 » by m0ng0 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:55 pm

Well Camara is out for the year...
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#7 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:59 am

m0ng0 wrote:Well Camara is out for the year...

Well, that sucks. He was one of the highlights of this season.
- Chauncey Billups
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,168

Post#8 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:01 am

Unless both Brogdon and Simons are traded this summer it's looking like Scoot is our backup PG next year. I am a big fan of players earning their role and not being given minutes just because of their draft number so until he starts consistently looking like a starting caliber player he shouldn't be starting.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#9 » by Blazinaway » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:03 am

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Unless both Brogdon and Simons are traded this summer it's looking like Scoot is our backup PG next year. I am a big fan of players earning their role and not being given minutes just because of their draft number so until he starts consistently looking like a starting caliber player he shouldn't be starting.

agree
JasonStern
RealGM

Post#10 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:01 pm

DeBlazerRiddem wrote:Unless both Brogdon and Simons are traded this summer it's looking like Scoot is our backup PG next year. I am a big fan of players earning their role and not being given minutes just because of their draft number so until he starts consistently looking like a starting caliber player he shouldn't be starting.

I agree but don't think that's the rationale behind a Brogdon/Simons starting lineup. Attendance is down because the team is absolute trash. Dame at least drew ticket sales. So, now revenue is down. A mediocre Portland team fills seats. So, let's rush the rebuild. Being bad for several years is a huge cost hit. Let's not renovate the Rose Garden because that costs money - oh, wait. Moda Center. Because money. But as long as ownership is making a profit...

And I get it. I don't like baseball. If I inherited a baseball team, I wouldn't know how to run it. I wouldn't be stubborn enough to not sell it. But I'd know if someone passionate offered me a fair deal, I'd sell.
- Chauncey Billups
Goldbum
Analyst
And1: 537

Post#11 » by Goldbum » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:05 pm

I think I like Banton as much as anyone we'd take in Round 2. I'd probably run to the podium to take Castle with the GSW pick, but that's because I see him as more of a wing.
From Portland to Reno to Vegas to LA to SLC and on to HotLanta. Winning at life. Too Blessed to be Stressed
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#12 » by red_power » Tue Apr 2, 2024 12:23 am

I would prefer to trade Scoot if he maintains this trash level after spending the coming summer
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#13 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 2, 2024 5:56 pm

red_power wrote:I would prefer to trade Scoot if he turns to keep this trash level after spending the coming summer

Man has he been a big pile of ugly.

He has had some games that look good if your just eying point and assist total but given his usage, quantity of shots, etc. he really isnt doing much that a G League dude couldnt do.

One thing to retain hope is that sometimes guys with such good FT% can figure out their 3PT shot - but its nowhere near a guarantee.

From age, to build, to a dissapointing rookie season right now Scoot looks horrifyingly like Emmanuel Mudiay.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,533

Post#14 » by zzaj » Tue Apr 2, 2024 6:00 pm

The Blazers may already have their backup PG. They need to have Starters that impact winning.

This team is historically bad. 2 60 point losses in a single season when that's only happened 7 times in the past 50 years? Nobody is sacred on this team at this stage, because they are incapable of winning.

That being said? The quartet of Scoot/Ant/Sharpe/Ayton have only played 4 games together this season. So nobody really knows anything about what they look like together.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,415

Post#15 » by JRoy » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:07 pm

POR is starved for talent.

Better to draft best talent and worry about position later.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,847

Post#16 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:38 pm

Portland is starved for elite talent, particularly up front where all their players are role players
m0ng0
Senior

Post#17 » by m0ng0 » Wed Apr 3, 2024 2:00 am

I kinda disagree, Ayton is finding his groove lately, Banton is doing good kinda, Walker and Camara are improving and Reath is a solid backup. Williams is mia

Simons is the best player on the team and everybody wants run out of town, Scoot is more down than up, Sharpe has flashed more down than up this season, Brogdon is getting older puts up decent numbers most nights, Thy is just a nothing burger.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 309

Post#18 » by HoopsFanAZ » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:08 am

I like the Blazers back-ups and even the starters as guys to cheer for.
The lack of OBVIOUSLY elite players is pretty fundamental.

The key. Sharpe and Scoot.
Ayton is good even without taking free throws and giving strong rim protection. Grant is good at SF. Neither is elite but are good starters. Ant needs to start elsewhere. The bench has plenty of guys who can develop. Banton can play back-up PG or 2ndary initiator.

SHARPE AND SCOOT.

2 lottery picks this summer and 1 in 2025 is going to help. Absolutely.
How quickly will Cronin turn the page on Ant and at least a couple others? Get short term contacts back with another top 10 pick this draft for Ant? I’m in.
m0ng0
Senior

Post#19 » by m0ng0 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:30 am

If Scoot and Sharpe are our 2 horses we are in big trouble...Simon's plays circles around either and neither can be trusted so far. But keys trade the only good asset we have at this point.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,471

Post#20 » by Pattycakes » Thu Apr 4, 2024 2:09 pm

m0ng0 wrote:Well Camara is out for the year...

All things considered, a small kidney laceration that should be a full recovery soon enough.. we can live with.

No blown or ruptured knees = breath of relief for Blazers

Return to Portland Trail Blazers