ImageImage

Will Simon's quietly request a trade?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Re: Will Simon's quietly request a trade? 

Post#41 » by Pattycakes » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 pm

DusterBuster wrote:
zzaj wrote:
JasonStern wrote:...But the truth that Blazer fans seem reluctant to admit is that a Scoot/Sharpe back court is not ready for prime time. The best chance of being remotely competitive is to start Brogdon/Simons...

What do you mean by "prime time"?

IMO, both Scoot and Sharpe have shown enough talent/ability to get 35 minutes a game as starters. Are they going to be a below average starting backcourt? Probably, but that may change.

Aside from arousing a little bit of temporary fan interest, I see no future advantage to Brogdon/Simons being the "remotely competitive" option.

FWIW, I hope the Blazers trade Brogdon, Ant, and Grant in the offseason. I'd love for the team to trade Ayton too, but with his contract I don't see that as a possibility. And he showed enough toward the end of the season when he finally got a bed that I'm fine with the team rolling with him until his contract dwindles in years and is potentially more tradeable.

This is where I'm at too. Brog, Ant and Grant should all be moved. Get Ant to Orlando for a pick or two and get what you can for Brogdon. Grant would be a nice-to-move, but don't think it's a requirement. I personally don't get the DA hate from most, I think he can potentially be a part of the core moving forward assuming the Blazers don't somehow end up with Sarr this summer.

I also agree with JS, Scoot and Sharpe aren't ready for "prime time"... and that's part of the point. Being even remotely competitive next season is stupid with such a strong draft next summer. The Blazers should have another 20 win season next year and they should be doing nothing but investing in Scoot and Sharpe as the starting backcourt.

I and the team would likely agree with you. Think his personality has just turned some off.

But the guy on the court is worth keeping, so w/e. He seems to want to grow up and be a leader, tbd
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,664

Post#42 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:43 am

ORL fans watching their “all defense” team getting throttled by CLE…hoping the FO looks POR’s way this summer. Simons slots right in as ORL’s version of Jamal Murray…”kind of a PG” with Paolo being the primary offensive initiator. Hoping ORL gives POR the cap relief and a couple picks for a win-win. Monk is probably easier to get, but I think Simons’ shooting is just a level beyond.

Come home Ant
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,854

Post#43 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:58 pm

It's not going to be easy to get Simons to Orlando for Portland values him and won't do a pure cap
space

I do wonder if Orlando would do an Anthony Black for Simons + 34 type of deal
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#44 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 pm

Norm2953 wrote:It's not going to be easy to get Simons to Orlando for Portland values him and won't do a pure cap
space

Would love that. Think Black can play SF and really like his intangibles. Elite glue guy type. Would love to see how Scoot - Sharpe - Black works out.

Not sure ORL is ready to go that 'win now'.
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,664

Post#45 » by Skybox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:15 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Norm2953 wrote:It's not going to be easy to get Simons to Orlando for Portland values him and won't do a pure cap
space

Would love that. Think Black can play SF and really like his intangibles. Elite glue guy type. Would love to see how Scoot - Sharpe - Black works out.

Not sure ORL is ready to go that 'win now'.

All day from me...honestly, I wouldn't have expected a pick on top from POR.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,539

Post#46 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:29 pm

I'm also in the camp of a Simons--Black swap. I don't see how it could possibly be done though because of salary matching.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#47 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:34 pm

Maybe something along the lines of:

Simons + GS #14 pick
for
Anthony Black + WCjr

Likely a "No" from Orlando, but that would work salary-wise.

I'm sure ORL would love to get their hands on Knecht...he would help them so much.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,448

Post#48 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:48 pm

That would be so great.

No way ORL goes for it.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#49 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:05 pm

JRoy wrote:That would be so great.

No way ORL goes for it.

What about Simons + #4 for Black/WCjr ?
zzaj
General Manager

Post#50 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:09 pm

zzaj wrote:

No way ORL goes for it.

Assuming Brogdon and Matisse get traded, I like the look of:

Scoot/Banton
Sharpe/Banton
Black/Camara
Grant/WCjr
Ayton/WCjr

Although, that's a big hole if WCjr continues his injury woes, and there is no reason to think he won't.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#51 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:55 pm

zzaj wrote:
zzaj wrote:

No way ORL goes for it.

Scoot/Banton
Sharpe/Banton
Black/Camara
Grant/WCjr
Ayton/WCjr

Although, that's a big hole if WCjr continues his injury woes, and there is no reason to think he won't.

I have little interest in WCJ and certainly dont think we should be moving #4.

ORL could do Black for Simons as they are set to have cap space this summer.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#52 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:49 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:
zzaj wrote:
zzaj wrote:

Scoot/Banton
Sharpe/Banton
Black/Camara
Grant/WCjr
Ayton/WCjr

I have little interest in WCJ and certainly dont think we should be moving #4.

ORL could do Black for Simons as they are set to have cap space this summer.

I guess a lot depends on how teams are viewing #4 in this draft. I likely wouldn't do that for Portland, but I'd at least have to think about it depending on who is around at #4 on draft day. WCJr would instantly be the best interior defender that the Blazers have (if Timelord doesn't see floor time) and would be an interesting contrast to Ayton and Grant. Actually, why am I trying to make the team better...you're right, WCJr is pointless on the Blazers, currently.

The above presupposes Black turns into the good version of Ben Simmons with better 3pt% in a couple of years.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,854

Post#53 » by Norm2953 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:46 pm

Simons would be a great fit in Orlando and perhaps some additional filler coming from Orlando
would get Simons deal done.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#54 » by Blazinaway » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:05 pm

zzaj wrote:I'm also in the camp of a Simons--Black swap. I don't see how it could possibly be done though because of salary matching.

Why are you worried about salary matching? Orlando will have well over 20 mil in capspace so salary matching is NOT a big deal and they are easy to trade with in that regard. However, we have to realize that if Orlando used let's say 15 mil of capspace, we would get less back in a trade, it would also get us out of the tax which is a plus as well.
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#55 » by Blazinaway » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:21 pm

I'd be very happy to do Simons for Black straight across, that's about an 18mil difference which also would give us a big TPE. Don't think Orlando would do that, they could add some filler or we add a pick
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#56 » by m0ng0 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:49 pm

That's so AWESOME, so WHO would we sign? Nobody
zzaj
General Manager

Post#57 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:57 pm

Skybox, what is Orlando's temperature on Black right now? Would some kind of Black-Simons swap make sense for where Orlando is headed? Agreed he'd be basically perfect there...
zzaj
General Manager

Post#58 » by zzaj » Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:58 pm

Blazinaway wrote:
zzaj wrote:I'm also in the camp of a Simons--Black swap. I don't see how it could possibly be done though because of salary matching.

Why are you worried about salary matching? Orlando will have well over 20 mil in capspace so salary matching is NOT a big deal and they are easy to trade with in that regard. However, we have to realize that if Orlando used let's say 15 mil of capspace, we would get less back in a trade, it would also get us out of the tax which is a plus as well.

Yeah, thanks...for some reason I had it in my head that they were in a similar salary situation as the Blazers. That certainly makes things easier...
zzaj
General Manager

Post#59 » by zzaj » Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:03 am

Okay now I'm all salivating over the Black for Simons swap, just rolling with drafting Clingan at #4 and the Blazers capturing the Flagg next year...

Scoot
Sharpe
Black
Flagg
Clingan

Long-term that would be something to get excited about. At least a boy can dream...
Blazinaway
General Manager

Post#60 » by Blazinaway » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 am

zzaj wrote:Okay now I'm all salivating over the Black for Simons swap, just rolling with drafting Clingan at #4 and the Blazers capturing the Flagg next year...

Scoot
Sharpe
Black
Flagg
Clingan

Long-term that would be something to get excited about. At least a boy can dream...

Love your enthusiasm but a Klingon at #4 just no way, NO WAY!

Return to Portland Trail Blazers