ImageImage

Will Simon's quietly request a trade?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,971

Will Simon's quietly request a trade? 

Post#1 » by DusterBuster » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:43 pm

Not much to discuss coming out of the exit interviews. Only thing slightly intriguing was Simons' quotes. To paraphrase, he said he's going to be going into his 7th (?) season and is at the point in his career where he wants to win and have a chance to compete on a good team. There's almost no chance that will happen in Portland next season. Even in a perfect world where they didn't have a single person injured, this still isn't a playoff contending roster.

I have to wonder if Simons will request a trade quietly or in that "Hey, I won't be upset if you found a deal that needed me included if it's to a winner" sort of trade demand. He sounded pretty burnt out on the rebuild a this point.

He's admittedly the odd man out here with the Baby Blazers, and if they want to play Capture the Flagg, cashing out on Simons this summer seems like a good move. Commit to the Scoot and Sharpe backcourt. Fingers crossed imo that this is out this summer plays out.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,534

Re: Will Simon's quietly request a trade? 

Post#2 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:34 pm

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ant gets traded. I would lay money on the idea that the Blazers are even looking at guards at the top of the lottery as a potential replacement--None of which will likely become the offensive player Ant is, but getting some defense and clearing up the pecking order is worth a lot. Banton as a 6th man wouldn't be too terrible, even if he's not a great defender. Or somebody like Knecht could come and just make buckets off the bench.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,427

Post#3 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:10 pm

I will drive him to the airport.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,328

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:19 pm

I hope he does and that Grant & Ayton attend the same meeting
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#5 » by Blazinaway » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:10 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I hope he does and that Grant & Ayton attend the same meeting

Right on!
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#6 » by tester551 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:48 pm

DusterBuster wrote: To paraphrase, he said he's going to be going into his 7th (?) season and is at the point in his career where he wants to win and have a chance to compete on a good team.

I honestly get tired of comments like this from Players and fans.

At this point, Simons is supposed to be a leader of the team. If he wants to complete on a good team - it's up to him to ensure his skills are good enough so that the team can win.... Unfortunately, it's REALLY difficult to win when the best players on your team have HUGE holes in their games. :banghead:
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#7 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 pm

tester551 wrote:
DusterBuster wrote: To paraphrase, he said he's going to be going into his 7th (?) season and is at the point in his career where he wants to win and have a chance to compete on a good team.

I honestly get tired of comments like this from Players and fans.

At this point, Simons is supposed to be a leader of the team. If he wants to complete on a good team - it's up to him to ensure his skills are good enough so that the team can win.... Unfortunately, it's REALLY difficult to win when the best players on your team have HUGE holes in their games. :banghead:

Simons isnt good enough to be the top talent on any team. He isnt a leader, nor is he a top dog. He is what he is, a elite shooter who should be the 4th, maybe even 3rd, best player on a team that ideally is filled with A) Defenders B) Players he can play alongside with better than average creation skills and ballhandling (As he isnt a true PG).

There is a team out there with the above two boxes checked, that has some assets to use, that is a 'rising' team and that coincidentally is also Simons hometown - Orlando.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 310

Post#8 » by HoopsFanAZ » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:55 pm

I like this thread — because I agree with the thinking — and came to this same question as Ant won’t beat out Sharpe at 2, is too young to be Ginobli, is Dame Jr., and Scoot will be a better PG next year.

Ant’s a stud shooter who gets his own shot, BUT doesn’t fit (IMHO) moving forward. AND he has value right now.

That’s actually why I’ve at least entertained the idea of drafting Sheppard if he falls to our 13 or 14th spot … but not other PGs. Okay, so maybe Topic if someone else really wanted Scoot and sent their Top 3 or so pick to get a top forward as well. 8-) But I’m not greedy or anything.
Butter
General Manager
And1: 124

Post#9 » by Butter » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 am

The answer is obvious.

Keep Brogdon as a Scoot mentor, trade Ant. Hopefully it can be to a team that can take the salary and lower the Blazers cap hit for future draft capitol.
Sometimes they live by the jumper, and some times they die by the jumper.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,850

Post#10 » by Norm2953 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:40 am

Hopefully he will keep his mouth shut and not demand to get traded to one team, which in his case
might be Orlando.

Blazers as they did with Jrue Holiday, will take care of him
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,892

Post#11 » by JasonStern » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 am

Simons is underrated. And nobody really wants him. He's Jamal Crawford 2.0. And that's not an insult. Crawford was awesome. If a deal came along, sure. But everyone needs to be realistic when you say a 20ppg scorer in his early to mid 20s sucks - let's trade him - what are you realistically expecting to get in return?
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,643

Post#12 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:04 am

JRoy wrote:I will drive him to the airport.

I’ll pick him up in ORL :D
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,643

Post#13 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:19 am

JasonStern wrote:Simons is underrated. And nobody really wants him. He's Jamal Crawford 2.0. And that's not an insult. Crawford was awesome. If a deal came along, sure. But everyone needs to be realistic when you say a 20ppg scorer in his early to mid 20s sucks - let's trade him - what are you realistically expecting to get in return?

Agree…his defense is weak but some talk about him as if he’s halfway out of the league :crazy: guys that do what he does don’t fall out of the sky. As a potential suitor, I see what he is and isn’t and understand he wouldn’t supplant Paolo, Franz, and Suggs or even Isaac, in ORL…he’d likely be the 2nd leading scorer but also would have the opportunity for 40-point outbursts when defenses collapse and dare him. He might be the 4th best overall player but his role would be very significant. I would also say that guys like Suggs and Isaac (and Coach Mosley) create an environment where defensive energy is contagious. I’d be willing to bet a young, long, freak athlete can be more than just okay with the right competitive environment. I also wouldn’t rule out the idea that, depending on the flow of the game, Anthony Black could finish games as a second lockdown guard (with Suggs) after Simons’ long-range bombing put ORL ahead.

Simons could be a 25 ppg non All-Star in ORL…Crawford played a bit differently, but that’s a good comp, imo.

Malik Monk could have a very similar role and he’s an UFA with a team that can’t pay him market value…I prefer Simons, but ORL needs to make a move this summer, before the rookie extensions start raining down. Seems like a win-win opportunity, given POR’s financial situation and promising young(er) backcourt coming up. ORL has extra picks and cap space (for now).
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,472

Post#14 » by Pattycakes » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:54 pm

Skybox wrote:
JasonStern wrote:Simons is underrated. And nobody really wants him. He's Jamal Crawford 2.0. And that's not an insult. Crawford was awesome. If a deal came along, sure. But everyone needs to be realistic when you say a 20ppg scorer in his early to mid 20s sucks - let's trade him - what are you realistically expecting to get in return?

Agree…his defense is weak but some talk about him as if he’s halfway out of the league :crazy: guys that do what he does don’t fall out of the sky. As a potential suitor, I see what he is and isn’t and understand he wouldn’t supplant Paolo, Franz, and Suggs or even Isaac, in ORL…he’d likely be the 2nd leading scorer but also would have the opportunity for 40-point outbursts when defenses collapse and dare him. He might be the 4th best overall player but his role would be very significant. I would also say that guys like Suggs and Isaac (and Coach Mosley) create an environment where defensive energy is contagious. I’d be willing to bet a young, long, freak athlete can be more than just okay with the right competitive environment. I also wouldn’t rule out the idea that, depending on the flow of the game, Anthony Black could finish games as a second lockdown guard (with Suggs) after Simons’ long-range bombing put ORL ahead.

Simons could be a 25 ppg non All-Star in ORL…Crawford played a bit differently, but that’s a good comp, imo.

Malik Monk could have a very similar role and he’s an UFA with a team that can’t pay him market value…I prefer Simons, but ORL needs to make a move this summer in, before the rookie extensions start raining down. Seems like a win-win opportunity, given POR’s financial situation and promising young(er) backcourt coming up. ORL has extra picks and cap space (for now).

I totally agree w the Orlando fit.

All I care about personally is more picks, and maybe try to squeeze Wendell carter out of them.

Ant is def worth keeping for me personally between him and Shaedon.. higher offensive peak for me atm but it doesn’t appear he’s preferred at this point. I still value him highly and wouldn’t trade him for anything but fair value.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,892

Post#15 » by JasonStern » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:59 pm

Orlando would be a great destination. They have the defensive talent to mask Simons' shortcomings defensively. But the truth that Blazer fans seem reluctant to admit is that a Scoot/Sharpe back court is not ready for prime time. The best chance of being remotely competitive is to start Brogdon/Simons. And yes, that is a flawed back court. Just less flawed than Scoot/Sharpe next season.

And I don't think his defense is as bad as people make it out to be, so much as he tends to be put in a SG defender role, where he's undersized. If he solely defended PGs, he'd be average. But then, if he played PG, which he can do for stretches, ball distribution would go down. And when he does play defense, he tires out and is less effective offensively. All tradeoffs. Nobody is pretending Simons is Magic Johnson.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#16 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:45 pm

Looked at the Magic situation and they don't have a ton of guys to trade for Ant for salaries to match up. Would need another team to get involved.

Cole Anthony & Joe Ingles (Magic need to exercise option) for Ant works.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Blazinaway
General Manager
And1: 1,407

Post#17 » by Blazinaway » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm

cdubbz wrote:Looked at the Magic situation and they don't have a ton of guys to trade for Ant for salaries to match up. Would need another team to get involved.

Orlando is projected to have substantial capspace this summer - 20-21 mil area
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,427

Post#18 » by JRoy » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:07 pm

cdubbz wrote:Looked at the Magic situation and they don't have a ton of guys to trade for Ant for salaries to match up. Would need another team to get involved.

Understandable.

Not crazy about another tiny one way guard that can’t shoot, defend or play pg.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,838

Post#19 » by cdubbz » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:19 pm

Blazinaway wrote:

Orlando is projected to have substantial capspace this summer - 20-21 mil area

But that can't be used in a trade?

They should go after Malik Monk imo.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#20 » by mojomarc » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:35 pm

We probably should have traded him last summer for an unprotected 2025 pick from a team likely to be high lottery. But then again, we should have not signed Grant after the Dame trade demand, too.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers