ImageImage

How’s Time Lord doing?

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,759

How’s Time Lord doing? 

Post#1 » by Skybox » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:25 am

I never hear any updates…is he viable? I really hope he comes back. He’s such an impactful defender and, supposedly, one of the great young locker room guys in the league. Celtic players speak very lovingly about him as a missed friend. He’d be great for POR - he could even play next to Ayton or, at least, be a competitive threat to light a fire under Ayton’s talented but erratic ass.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,519

Re: How’s Time Lord doing? 

Post#2 » by Pattycakes » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:44 pm

Skybox wrote:I never hear any updates…is he viable? I really hope he comes back. He’s such an impactful defender and, supposedly, one of the great young locker room guys in the league. Celtic players speak very lovingly about him as a missed friend. He’d be great for POR - he could even play next to Ayton or, at least, be a competitive threat to light a fire under Ayton’s talented but erratic ass.

I’m expecting nothing but an expiring contract there. Doesn’t seem to resemble a player with a healthy future in professional basketball.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,940

Post#3 » by JasonStern » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:38 pm

Such an awesome, likeable player, but I feel he's going down the Brandon Roy path. I hope I am wrong on that.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,868

Post#4 » by Norm2953 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:23 pm

We'll all know how TL's rehab is going if Portland drafts one of the bigs in this draft, either at 3 or 14.

TL is exactly what Portland needs opposite of Ayton
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 315

Post#5 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sun May 5, 2024 9:12 pm

Time Lord has been unlucky … and so good at his more than reasonable price … which was due to injuries … he’s due for good health, right? Right?
[A healthy] Time Lord, Ayton, Sarr and Reath — NOT elite but DANG.

MAY 12
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#6 » by PDXKnight » Yesterday 10:42 pm

If he were healthy time Lord is a phenomenal role player. Easily more heart than ayton in my eyes with less talent. But if he was consistently healthy there's a chance he'd earn a starting spot just with his work ethic. Now that might never happen at the rate he's going but it's nice to dream about as he's certainly useful when healthy.

I think our best route is a permanent minutes restriction for TL. He's a 20 mpg sort of player no matter who else is healthy. He's just gonna get hurt otherwise. And after his contract is up or until he's maybe traded we must evaluate whether 20 mpg of timelord is worth holding onto. Honestly probably not unfortunately because as useful as he is when healthy he looks like an injury waiting to happen. But if he can manage to have 2 healthy seasons with 20 mpg i may change my mind if the price Tag isn't horrible or we have an opt out on year 2 or 3
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#7 » by Skybox » Yesterday 11:17 pm

PDXKnight wrote:If he were healthy time Lord is a phenomenal role player. Easily more heart than ayton in my eyes with less talent. But if he was consistently healthy there's a chance he'd earn a starting spot just with his work ethic. Now that might never happen at the rate he's going but it's nice to dream about as he's certainly useful when healthy.

I think our best route is a permanent minutes restriction for TL. He's a 20 mpg sort of player no matter who else is healthy. He's just gonna get hurt otherwise. And after his contract is up or until he's maybe traded we must evaluate whether 20 mpg of timelord is worth holding onto. Honestly probably not unfortunately because as useful as he is when healthy he looks like an injury waiting to happen. But if he can manage to have 2 healthy seasons with 20 mpg i may change my mind if the price Tag isn't horrible or we have an opt out on year 2 or 3

ORL has been hanging in there with a similar (VERY) situation, maybe even worse with Jonathan Isaac...he's been ramped up very slowly, occasionally held out of back to backs, and never really got over 20mpg, even into the playoffs, but he played all season. ORL was in a rebuild situation, they re-upped Isaac, despite his injury history, but build in lots of non-guarantees in case of catastrophic injury.

It worked out. If you watched any significant Magic games, you could honestly argue that Isaac was as impactful as anyone on the team (even if he didn't score a point). POR's got the same timeline (but do need to get their finances in order), so they might as well hang on a bit more. Time Lord is a favorite of mine, has seen the bright lights and delivered. Rare to find a guy who just does the dirty work and smiles. His defensive energy might be contagious for your young guns...not sure Ayton's able to be motivated, but...
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#8 » by PDXKnight » Today 1:34 am

Skybox wrote:
PDXKnight wrote:If he were healthy time Lord is a phenomenal role player. Easily more heart than ayton in my eyes with less talent. But if he was consistently healthy there's a chance he'd earn a starting spot just with his work ethic. Now that might never happen at the rate he's going but it's nice to dream about as he's certainly useful when healthy.

ORL has been hanging in there with a similar (VERY) situation, maybe even worse with Jonathan Isaac...he's been ramped up very slowly, occasionally held out of back to backs, and never really got over 20mpg, even into the playoffs, but he played all season. ORL was in a rebuild situation, they re-upped Isaac, despite his injury history, but build in lots of non-guarantees in case of catastrophic injury.

It worked out. If you watched any significant Magic games, you could honestly argue that Isaac was as impactful as anyone on the team (even if he didn't score a point). POR's got the same timeline (but do need to get their finances in order), so they might as well hang on a bit more. Time Lord is a favorite of mine, has seen the bright lights and delivered. Rare to find a guy who just does the dirty work and smiles. His defensive energy might be contagious for your young guns...not sure Ayton's able to be motivated, but...

I love timelord as well, im just doubtful about his ability to overcome to injury bug
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,868

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Today 3:24 am

For this team,TL is a great fit if he's healthy.

Big, physical defensive center to play next to non physical players Ayton/Grant. Portland
has wanted big, physical players since the days of Brandon Roy, who kept asking for a
Ronny Turiaf type of player in Portland. Instead we keep getting 6-5 guys to play SF

Return to Portland Trail Blazers