ImageImage

Any interest in Trae Young?

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Should the Trailblazers trade for Trae Young?

Yes
6%
No
94%

Total votes: 16

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,842

Any interest in Trae Young? 

Post#1 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:07 pm

Trae Young seems to potentially be available this summer. Interested?

Read on Twitter
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cdubbz
RealGM

Re: Any interest in Trae Young? 

Post#2 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:11 pm

I would think about it. Getting Trae Young as the superstar while keeping Ayton & Jerami Grant would be a nice mix of veterans and the youth. Blazers can compete and Trae would be a big draw for fans to attend games. The roster would still need tweaking for backcourt defense, but Blazers have assets.

Trade idea:
Blazers revieve: Trae Young
Hawks recieve: Simons, Mattise, Murray, & picks*

*Depending what other teams are offering the Hawks can offer something better, BUT not give up every future pick.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,474

Post#3 » by Pattycakes » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:27 pm

No. The opposite of the point. We might develop scoot into a star 2 way player, please don’t screw it up over trae young
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,455

Post#4 » by JRoy » Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:11 pm

Another tiny, no defense guard?

Really?
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#5 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:35 am

Just throwing ideas out.

Trae would be the starter and Scoot backup PG. Frees up a Brogdon trade for a wing. Worst case Hawks demand Blazers pick - Blazers would still have Warriors lottery pick and 2nd rounders.

This scenario isn’t the full tank situation, but the develop young guys while still compete scenario.

PG - Trae, Scoot, Brogdon
SG- Sharpe
SF -
PF - Grant
C - Ayton, RWIII, Reath

Plus a rookie.
cdubbz
RealGM

Post#6 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:53 am

Pattycakes wrote:No. The opposite of the point. We might develop scoot into a star 2 way player, please don’t screw it up over trae young

What’s Scoot ceiling comparison? Jrue Holiday?

I’m just thinking a package of Simons, Mattise, ‘24 pick and whatever else it takes to match salaries is a bargain for a star player. I think I’m not convinced that Scoot will be that guy.

Hawks get a similar young star, a draft pick (maybe multiple) a defensive wing and maybe Murray.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,455

Post#7 » by JRoy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 am

cdubbz wrote:Just throwing ideas out.

Trae would be the starter and Scoot backup PG. Frees up a Brogdon trade for a wing. Worst case Hawks demand Blazers pick - Blazers would still have Warriors lottery pick and 2nd rounders.

This scenario isn’t the full tank situation, but the develop young guys while still compete scenario.

PG - Trae, Scoot, Brogdon
SG- Sharpe
SF -
PF - Grant
C - Ayton, RWIII, Reath

Plus a rookie.

Novel idea but maybe not the right direction. POR needs to draft our next star, not try to recycle a pretend star from another team.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,542

Post#8 » by zzaj » Mon Apr 22, 2024 3:17 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Pattycakes wrote:No. The opposite of the point. We might develop scoot into a star 2 way player, please don’t screw it up over trae young

What’s Scoot ceiling comparison? Jrue Holiday?

I’m just thinking a package of Simons, Mattise, ‘24 pick and whatever else it takes to match salaries is a bargain for a star player. I think I’m not convinced that Scoot will be that guy.

Hawks get a similar young star, a draft pick (maybe multiple) a defensive wing and maybe Murray.

Simons, Matisse and a #4 pick is worth a lot, even in a down draft--it would have to be, based on salary alone--however, the Star player needs to be a different position than PG. I'm sure the Blazers are banking on Scoot ending up looking like the 20/3/10 he averaged over the last 5 games of the season.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,855

Post#9 » by Norm2953 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:16 pm

Trae has two years left on his deal at $88 Million with a PO for $48 Million. There is no reason
for Portland to be taking on that deal
DeBlazerRiddem
Forum Mod - Blazers
Forum Mod - Blazers
And1: 6,172

Post#10 » by DeBlazerRiddem » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:01 pm

big no. that would just be another treadmill for us.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,924

Post#11 » by BlazersBroncos » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:51 pm

Young is a quick route to a perennial treadmill. Good enough to keep us from picking high, not nearly good enough to get us deep with the lack of talent we currently have on the roster.

I also dont think ATL would take Simons, MT and #4 for him.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,922

Post#12 » by JasonStern » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:00 pm

cdubbz wrote:What’s Scoot ceiling comparison? Jrue Holiday?

Ceiling comparison is Westbrook. But realistically, a Rod Strickland or Andre Miller tier player is what I am hoping for. Just because he doesn't seem like a generational player doesn't mean he isn't a value add.
"I don't get timeouts. You're getting paid millions. Go do basketball things."
- Chauncey Billups
m0ng0
Senior
And1: 124

Post#13 » by m0ng0 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:42 am

Young is not much better than Simon's if at all
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 877

Post#14 » by red_power » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:01 pm

I think the Hawks are going to try to squeeze a fortune out of Trae and the Blazers FO would prefer to stick with our young players and see how they develop instead of rolling the dice on an unconvincing player. Even though he has a three time all-star pedigree.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020
red_power
Sixth Man
And1: 877

Post#15 » by red_power » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:03 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Young is a quick route to a perennial treadmill. Good enough to keep us from picking high, not nearly good enough to get us deep with the lack of talent we currently have on the roster.

This organization didn't want to make any risky move with Dame on the squad. This pattern makes me think there is no way to see a drastic turnaround any time soon.
"Fly forward despite the fog" (c) Kobe Bryant 1978-2020

Return to Portland Trail Blazers