ImageImage

James Jones comparison

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#21 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:23 pm

mojomarc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's the latter. By the time that all our signings are done in the 2009 offseason, I expect a payroll around $75-80m if KP did his job.

It's possible, if the cap is around 60 million, and through some combination of re-signs and trades, he hits the cap, then it would be time to negotiate with Roy and Aldridge. The 2 of them would have salaries of about 9.8 million. With near-max extensions of 12-13 million each, that would bump portland's payroll to 78 million.

The, the following season, Miles's 9 million (if he's still there) would come off and pay for oden's extension.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#22 » by d-train » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:10 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:I've gone through the numbers a dozen times, and the fact remains that as long as Miles remains a blazer, substantial cap space will only be possible by dumping at least 3 of blake-outlaw-webster-jones, and by either getting frye and jack to sign small long term contracts or trading them for expirings.

I say there is a good chance the Blazers may keep only 1 of those 6 guys. Before the Blazers keep any of them they have to start playing better than they currently are. Outlaw has the best chance of being kept because he is playing well and is improving. I'm also guessing that the websites publishing salary information about Outlaw and Blake's contracts are wrong about the option amounts in 2009. I suspect the Blazers frontloaded those contracts and the options in 2009 are for less than they are being paid this season. That would improve the chances of Outlaw and Blake being kept in 2009. Also, I believe there is a chance Jones could sign a 1-year veteran's minimum contract in 2009. IMO, Jack, Webster, and probably Frye are doubtful for the 2009 roster.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#23 » by Spykes » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:38 pm

d-train wrote:I say there is a good chance the Blazers may keep only 1 of those 6 guys. Before the Blazers keep any of them they have to start playing better than they currently are. Outlaw has the best chance of being kept because he is playing well and is improving. I'm also guessing that the websites publishing salary information about Outlaw and Blake's contracts are wrong about the option amounts in 2009. I suspect the Blazers frontloaded those contracts and the options in 2009 are for less than they are being paid this season. That would improve the chances of Outlaw and Blake being kept in 2009. Also, I believe there is a chance Jones could sign a 1-year veteran's minimum contract in 2009. IMO, Jack, Webster, and probably Frye are doubtful for the 2009 roster.

You're kidding yourself if you think there's any chance that happens.

If anything, he opts out next summer and tries to go out and get a MLE deal. In all likelihood, he'll be coming off a career year where he's been shooting lights out from downtown, playing some solid d and will probably average a career high in points. His could be his best chance to secure a decent sized longterm contract. Just look at what happened with Kapono. Kapono is as one dimensional as they come and he got a 4 year MLE deal. There's no doubt Jones will want to do the same if he continues to have the kind of year he's having.

And even if he were to not opt out for some odd reason, there's no way he gives up millions of dollars from another team (in an offer he'll undoubtedly) get to sign a piddly 1 year veterans minimum deal with us.
SensiBull
Starter
And1: 326

Post#24 » by SensiBull » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:58 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

It's possible, if the cap is around 60 million, and through some combination of re-signs and trades, he hits the cap, then it would be time to negotiate with Roy and Aldridge. The 2 of them would have salaries of about 9.8 million. With near-max extensions of 12-13 million each, that would bump portland's payroll to 78 million.

The, the following season, Miles's 9 million (if he's still there) would come off and pay for oden's extension.

Would an expiring contract like Ben Wallace's help with that?
http://www.un.org/en/peace/

"While people are saying, "There is peace and security," then sudden destruction will come upon them ..., and they will not escape." - 1 Thess 5:2-3
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:05 am

SensiBull wrote:Would an expiring contract like Ben Wallace's help with that?

I suppose if Ben Gordon is coming along with him.... :P
Khazim
Veteran
And1: 114

Post#26 » by Khazim » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:06 am

Mr Odd wrote:Haha, I remember when it was said
we're getting Jones and people were
saying he was junk.. .HAHAHAHAHA!!

Not many were hyped about it.. .

I loved it because I always had
him on my video game teams, lol.
Same here. :D
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,822

Post#27 » by Fitz303 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:14 am

I was happy to get Jones, but I wasnt as thrilled as I am now about it. I liked him since the first time I watched him with the Suns (and his cameo in pat burkes hair restoration commercial).. I knew he would bring outside shooting, but I dont think anybody expected what hes given us.. And to top it off, he has played very good defense, along with being a good leader.. I couldnt be more happy with JJ33 being on this team.. Hopefully he doesnt leave any time soon..

And for those who havent seen his Cameo in Pat Burkes infomercial, check it out:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ndFCCiohVoM
d-train
RealGM

Post#28 » by d-train » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:15 am

Spykes wrote:You're kidding yourself if you think there's any chance that happens.

If anything, he opts out next summer and tries to go out and get a MLE deal. In all likelihood, he'll be coming off a career year where he's been shooting lights out from downtown, playing some solid d and will probably average a career high in points. His could be his best chance to secure a decent sized longterm contract. Just look at what happened with Kapono. Kapono is as one dimensional as they come and he got a 4 year MLE deal. There's no doubt Jones will want to do the same if he continues to have the kind of year he's having.

And even if he were to not opt out for some odd reason, there's no way he gives up millions of dollars from another team (in an offer he'll undoubtedly) get to sign a piddly 1 year veterans minimum deal with us.

I can't say I disagree with your logic. If Jones continues to play well, this might be the best time for him to secure his future and he shouldn't ignore that because he might only get one more big contract in the NBA. Kapono is a fine example of what may become of Jones. I know Riley has said after letting Kapono walk that he wishes he would have kept him but I'm a firm believer in paying more attention to what a person does than what he says. Riley decided Kapono wasn't worth that much money and I don't believe he has any regrets about his decision. And, Riley made his decision knowing the Heat have no chance on the horizon for cap space. Kapono was a pure talent loss to the Heat. The decision for the Blazers concerning Jones is much easier and obvious than Riley's decision was regarding Kapono because an obligation extending into 2009 will cost the Blazers cap space and the talent that space could attract.
d-train
RealGM

Post#29 » by d-train » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:23 am

SensiBull wrote:Would an expiring contract like Ben Wallace's help with that?

Ben's contract would do the Blazers no good because it doesn't expire until 2010. Blazers only chance at cap space is during a 1-month window in July of 2009.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#30 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:07 am

d-train wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I say there is a good chance the Blazers may keep only 1 of those 6 guys. Before the Blazers keep any of them they have to start playing better than they currently are. Outlaw has the best chance of being kept because he is playing well and is improving. I'm also guessing that the websites publishing salary information about Outlaw and Blake's contracts are wrong about the option amounts in 2009. I suspect the Blazers frontloaded those contracts and the options in 2009 are for less than they are being paid this season. That would improve the chances of Outlaw and Blake being kept in 2009. Also, I believe there is a chance Jones could sign a 1-year veteran's minimum contract in 2009. IMO, Jack, Webster, and probably Frye are doubtful for the 2009 roster.

I think Outlaw will be kept, and I'm also thinking that KP will do what he can to keep Jones. Depending on who's available in 2009, I also think there's a good chance that Blake may be kept, but that's not certain.

The 3rd year players(jack-frye-webster) are another matter because of the cap-holds they represent in 2009. If jack was willing to sign for 2 million/yr and frye for 3 million for instance, they might be extended. But I doubt they'd be willing without testing the water. Webster will be the tough call.

If KP means all the things he says about character and chemistry, he may be reluctant to dump players integral to chemistry.
Dakotah612
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Dakotah612 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:31 am

Oh, and another thing....

James Jones >> Ime Udoka

:nod:
"Damn the Blazers. Damn them to hell. They are working the rest of the league like a speedbag."
- Bill Simmons
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Spykes » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:42 am

Dakotah612 wrote:Oh, and another thing....

James Jones >> Ime Udoka

:nod:

QFT.

I still like Ime a lot, but James is much better.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers