ImageImage

Balkman is available

Moderators: DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam

Telfaire
Analyst
And1: 57

Balkman is available 

Post#1 » by Telfaire » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:19 pm

According to the wiretap, Balkman has been offered for Artest, but the Kings preffer to have Lee or Robinson. Suppsoing these teams wont make a trade by the deadline, how about we come in at draft day, since last year it worked out for us, dealing with the Knicks?

Knicks get Artest for Rose and Balkman - same package they're offering now

Kings get Miles and our late lottery pick for Artest - I dont think that Bibby, Artest and Moore coming off the books in 2009 would clear enough capspace for them to be major players on this summer, so why not shoot for the 2010 free agecny, when SAR, Thomas, Miller and Miles' contract would also end? with 2 lottery picks, they'll draft a PG and PF, and monitor their development over the next two seasons, Hawes' as well - then make a move for the type of player they'll really need.

We trade Miles and our late lottery pick for Rose and Balkman - I dont know if this move would clear us enough capspace for signing Gordon in 2009. Maybe we'll also need to cut Outlaw loose. I love his game this season, especially at the 4th quarter - but Balkman could fill in his spot, and while he's not as good offensively, he could be our defensive stopper, a guy that every contending team needs.
Roy-Rudy-Webster-LMA-Oden, with Sergio, Gordon, Balkman and Plaisted if we draft him at the 2nd round and he pans out, or Bass if we'll enough cap space for him after signing Gordon, is the rotation I could see going all the way for a long time.
riehldeal
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#2 » by riehldeal » Thu Jan 3, 2008 6:49 pm

I didn't read all your post but I just wanted to say that I love the Balkman, have ever since seeing him in summer L.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#3 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:27 pm

i really can't say much because i've never seen balkman play, but you might be assuming too much, and is balkman better than outlaw for what he's been doing for the blazers this season?
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,329

Post#4 » by Wizenheimer » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:48 pm

c'mon....portland gives up Outlaw and the lottery pick to get miles off the books and a player who can only manage 2.5pts and 2.8reb on one of the worst teams in the league??

NO THANKS
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by DeezXXnutZ » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:56 pm

Is there seriously a thread about Renaldo Balkman...I'd rather trade for Master P...At least hes bout it.....
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#6 » by Telfaire » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:57 pm

We dont give up Outlaw in this deal...but Balkman makes him expendable. I'm not saying he's better than him in anything, maybe 1-on-1 defense. We'll see next season how Outlaw meshes with Oden, then in summer 2009 we can renounce either him or Balkman, or use one of them in a trade before that.

Question is, would getting rid of Miles be enough to sign Gordon? along with renouncing Jack, Frye and even Blake, if the spaniards prove to be reliable backups.

Because although we could draft with our late lottery pick a better prospect than Balkman, I think dumping Miles for an expiring makes it a good deal.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#7 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:57 pm

I might consider trading Balkman straight up for Outlaw (probably not--Balkman is a lousy shooter, particularly from the foul line), but a lotto pick for Rose and to get Miles off the books seems a high price to pay. I'd rather, if that were our plan, cut Miles, keep him on the books and also keep the pick.
swede
Assistant Coach
And1: 6

Post#8 » by swede » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:14 pm

Renaldo Balkman is a more athletic Victor Khryapa without the midrange shot. No thank you.
Cyborg21 wrote:Screw you Batum, throwing us under the bus, I hope we destroy these scum next year.
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#9 » by BigOrangeBalls » Thu Jan 3, 2008 8:16 pm

The Blazers are playing well. Don't mess with success. The only trade they should make is to ship Miles out of town. Don't touch the core 10 player rotation.
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#10 » by Telfaire » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:22 pm

OK, I need to state it again:

1) Trade Miles and our late lottery pick (assuming we cant move up and there's no one who really fits what wer'e looking for), for the expiring contract of Rose plus Balkman

2) Head into next season with the same rotation plus Oden and maybe Rudy. See how Outlaw fits alongside Oden. Explore trade options for Raef and Rose expiring deals, with Frye, Jack and Balkman as the main trading baits

3) If no trade comes through, and Gordon becomes UFA in the summer, make a move for him. If throughout the season Outlaw has proven to be expendable, let him walk and keep Balkman in his place.

I think that move no. 1 might be a bit of a risk, but it does net us a more proven prospect in Blakman, than a rookie who would need to crack our 10-man rotation to prove himself.

Move no. 2 kinda makes move no. 1 redundant, unless Balkman is a part of the package wer'e sending.

Move no. 3 might not be neccessary, maybe someone more knowledgable with the cap can tell if getting Raef, Francis and Miles off the books would be enough to sign Gordon? we could also renounce that rights for Jack and Frye. Blake and Outlaw we'd better keep, but Sergio and Balkman might make them expendable. Might.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#11 » by BlackMamba » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:25 pm

i think that once oden is back everything will be better, including outlaw.

also, as of right now, i don't see how outlaw would become expendable.
541Blaza
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by 541Blaza » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:32 pm

Outlaw>>>>>>>>>>>Balkman

Are you serious dude? Come on. :roll:

Travis will be a Blazer for a long time.
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#13 » by Telfaire » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:38 pm

OK, forget the "Outlaw becomes expendable" thing.
But I still say we could use Balkman in a deal without even damaging our cap space plan. Package him with Frye and/or Jack and get a PF/C who'll complete our 9-man rotation. Maybe Shelden Williams and a future 1st?
BiggieSmalls
Senior

Post#14 » by BiggieSmalls » Thu Jan 3, 2008 9:43 pm

yea i agree with 541Blaza, outlaw is here to stay, he is becoming to much of a fan favorite this season, he is starting to find his role on the team and he has been clutch as hell, i think balkman is overrated slightly.
Now one guy i would persue hard would be brandon bass, he was a beast at LSU and now he is translating it into success in the nba, the kid can jump out of the building and loves to bang with the bigs down low, which is what i think the blazers could use off the bench, channing just pisses me off on defense i watch him letting guys go right by him without giving any kind of effort to contest the shot, i like him on offense and he has great character, i just cant stand the defense.
DreMiller/Faried>>>>>>>Felton/Smith

Nicolas Batuuuuuuuuuuum!

R.I.P Sean Chancellor
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:01 pm

I changed my mind after reading this from TrueHoop:

Isiah Thomas says he won't be making any trades, which Knickerblogger sees as bad news for the rest of the league: "Phoenix nearly became overnight winners after Thomas freed them of Marbury and Hardaway. Orlando is now an Eastern powerhouse since Steve Francis left. Chicago had success once Isiah took Crawford and Curry off their hands. Toronto is up and coming since Jalen Rose was shipped south. And the newest member of the 'Thank You Isiah' club is Portland. The Trail Blazers could improve by 10 wins without Zach Randolph. While Isiah has crushed any optimism for the 2008 season, the only positive thing New Yorkers have at this moment is that their younger players can turn into solid pros. The Knicks only hope is that David Lee, Renaldo Balkman, Nate Robinson, Wilson Chandler, and Randolph Morris will turn into solid pros. But that hope is meaningless if Isiah chooses to trade one of these players, something he has done in the past. Thomas sent 20 year old Trevor Ariza to Orlando in the Steve Francis deal, and he shipped Channing Frye to Portland after just his second NBA season. Ironically both players are doing well this year for a pittance. So Isiah's statement 'I don't see us being active at the trade deadline' is a big relief to Knick fans. This season has been a comedy of errors for the Knicks, and if Thomas' words ring true, there is one less thing to keep Knick fans up at night."

It's a great point. We should always, always try to trade with the Knicks as long as Isiah is their GM. If he makes an offer, we take it :D
breaker91
Starter
And1: 1

Post#16 » by breaker91 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 10:45 pm

Telfaire wrote:OK, forget the "But I still say we could use Balkman in a deal without even damaging our cap space plan. Package him with Frye and/or Jack and get a PF/C who'll complete our 9-man rotation. Maybe Shelden Williams and a future 1st?

If there is a need for that type of player on the Blazers I'd rather have Ime back. Not only does he do the dirty work that Balkman is known for, you have to respect his 3 pt shooting. I'm sure we'd be able to resign him on the cheap, since he is mostly riding the pine in SA.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by mojomarc » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:32 pm

breaker91 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

If there is a need for that type of player on the Blazers I'd rather have Ime back. Not only does he do the dirty work that Balkman is known for, you have to respect his 3 pt shooting. I'm sure we'd be able to resign him on the cheap, since he is mostly riding the pine in SA.

But it's much harder to fleece San Antonio--they'd probably demand Webster and our pick for Ime.
Telfaire
Analyst

Post#18 » by Telfaire » Thu Jan 3, 2008 11:58 pm

OK, then back to the Cavs' option:

Miles, the rights to Buddinger, one of our 2nd rounders and cash considerations...for Snow and the rights to Gallinari.

Cavs get cash in case they preffer to buyout Miles' contract, which ends at the same time with Hughes and Big Z. They move up in the draft, maybe just a few spots but it gets them a shooter they could use. Also get a 2nd rounder to sweeten the deal.

We still get to pick a prospect who we could stash at europe, and possibly clear enough capspace for signing Gordon and Bass in 2009.
b_roy7
Veteran

Post#19 » by b_roy7 » Fri Jan 4, 2008 12:16 am

I like Lee more than Balkman if we could get him instead. I suspect we'd have to add maybe a lotto-protected '09 1st or something else in the same package.

EDIT: But if the Kings can't get, him I doubt we really could.
kellex
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#20 » by kellex » Fri Jan 4, 2008 6:26 am

DeezXXnutZ wrote:Is there seriously a thread about Renaldo Balkman...I'd rather trade for Master P...At least hes bout it.....

hahah! that may just go in my signature.

i cant believe someone actually thought of getting this "nobody." not that i want travis outlaw sticking around much longer, but i'd rather have outlaw that freakin balkman.
blog: Blaze of Love
http://www.blazeoflove.com

Return to Portland Trail Blazers