ImageImage

Blazers Defense During Streak

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

BlazerDraft2006
Ballboy
And1: 0

Blazers Defense During Streak 

Post#1 » by BlazerDraft2006 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:38 pm

The Blazers defense really kicked in early in the streak, starting with the first Utah game. In the last 15 games, we have allowed an average of 91 ppg. During this stretch, we have kept our opponents an 9.3 ppg below their season scoring averages. For comparison, over the season, the only two teams that allow fewer points are Boston (87 ppg) and Detroit (89 ppg). San Antonio, probably the benchmark for playing tough defense, allows 92 ppg.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#2 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Didn't you get the memo? It's not our defense, it's just that every team that has played us has coincidentally had bad games against us ;)

Our defense has been much, much better since the streak started. The Zone has been particularly effective, and a huge part of that has been the wing players getting much more aggressive on their men away from the ball. This illustrates to me what has been the most important development for the team in this streak, even more than the wins themselves--the team has evolved so that everyone trusts each other to do their job. That was never the case in the last several years, and probably hasn't been the case since Sheed threw the towel at Sabas.
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,331

Post#3 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:45 pm

I agree the defense has improved a great deal and is integral to the winning. It's not spurs-like lockdown good...it still gets beat inside a lot, but it has improved inside, especially on passing lanes, and it contests a much higher percentage of perimeter shots then at the season's beginning.

It's kind of fun to watch the team you root for grow....agree?
DeezXXnutZ
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by DeezXXnutZ » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:52 pm

I've been watching every game lately and the D is definetly one of the best things I see the Blazers do..They rotate to the ball great, they have great weakside D, and are always getting their hands in the passing lanes..Rebounding will come over time along with inside toughness these are what the Blazers are lacking most in my opinion, but hey next year Oden will single handidly fix this problem for us....
Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,331

Post#5 » by Wizenheimer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:38 pm

DeezXXnutZ wrote:I've been watching every game lately and the D is definetly one of the best things I see the Blazers do..They rotate to the ball great, they have great weakside D, and are always getting their hands in the passing lanes..Rebounding will come over time along with inside toughness these are what the Blazers are lacking most in my opinion, but hey next year Oden will single handidly fix this problem for us....

Wow!!!...I thought he got rid of the cast on the other hand!!... :lol:
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#6 » by SabasRevenge! » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:16 pm

mojomarc wrote:Didn't you get the memo? It's not our defense, it's just that every team that has played us has coincidentally had bad games against us ;)

Our defense has been much, much better since the streak started. The Zone has been particularly effective, and a huge part of that has been the wing players getting much more aggressive on their men away from the ball. This illustrates to me what has been the most important development for the team in this streak, even more than the wins themselves--the team has evolved so that everyone trusts each other to do their job. That was never the case in the last several years, and probably hasn't been the case since Sheed threw the towel at Sabas.

Come on now, we just happened to play 17 of 18 teams at the right time. Any other night and those Blazers certainly would have lost.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#7 » by mojomarc » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:20 pm

SabasRevenge! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Come on now, we just happened to play 17 of 18 teams at the right time. Any other night and those Blazers certainly would have lost.

That's what the fans of Denver, Utah, and Golden State seem to think....

:roll:
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#8 » by BlackMamba » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:31 pm

mojomarc wrote:Didn't you get the memo? It's not our defense, it's just that every team that has played us has coincidentally had bad games against us ;)

:rofl:

i think that slowly this season the blazers are reaping the sow of the last couple of years when nate came along and has made the team play like we all expected: good exectuion on offense and concentration on defense.
Papercut
Junior

Post#9 » by Papercut » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:23 pm

This seems to be the most overlooked aspect of the Blazers' play. Everyone is focused on Roy, and the hot shooting of Jones/Blake/Webster, but the fact that we've turned into one of the top ten defensive teams in the league (or arguably better) has been HUGE. The defensive area I'd like to see improvement in is forcing turnovers, but overall we're doing great.

That's also what pisses me off about Sir Charles insisting we won't make the playoffs because we're a jump-shooting team. Yeah we're a jump-shooting team, but we're also a defensive lockdown team.
UGotThrilled
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#10 » by UGotThrilled » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:34 am

[quote="Wizenheimer"]I agree the defense has improved a great deal and is integral to the winning. It's not spurs-like lockdown good...it still gets beat inside a lot, but it has improved inside, especially on passing lanes, [b]and it contests a much higher percentage of perimeter shots then at the season's beginning[/b].[/quote]

I remember early in the season wondering why the other team always got to shoot so many open threes on us. We have definitely improved in this regard. Sometimes teams do have off games against us, but part of that is that it is much harder to shoot with a hand in your face. And after 17 wins in 18 games, you have to start wondering if we can be that lucky to face so many teams on off nights.
abuzz
Senior
And1: 82

Post#11 » by abuzz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:21 pm

DeezXXnutZ wrote:I've been watching every game lately and the D is definetly one of the best things I see the Blazers do..They rotate to the ball great, they have great weakside D, and are always getting their hands in the passing lanes..Rebounding will come over time along with inside toughness these are what the Blazers are lacking most in my opinion, but hey next year Oden will single handidly fix this problem for us....

One of the most pleasant surprises is how Frye has transformed his game to fulfill a role of mid-game relief....in defense and rebounding, something he had a bad wrap with. He still has protect the paint under the basket better like Pryz or at least get back there faster.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers