ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,785

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 13, 2024 9:46 am

I dont think the Kings will pick but one good thing about Monte is that he will go bpa regardless and move as trade bait. Filipowski for instance is a solid prospect in terms of who is currently mocked 13 or lower, so if Monte feel the same, I wouldnt be surprised if its a center or pg picked.

Always bpa (even if the prospect plays the same position as imo our best player)
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,174

Post#22 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 13, 2024 10:12 am

codydaze wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I'm not really sold on Cody Williams at this point, we'll see if he can pop in the combine but right now he's all theoretical talent. He definitely has a high ceiling but I don't know if I would gamble on that.

I think my top three choices if we stayed at 13 would be:
- Tristan Da Silva. Definitely a Monte type pick, great shooter who would slide perfectly into Barnes role.
- Devin Carter. Another Monte type pick. I think this is a guy who could be what we hoped Davion would turn into and he's got more size so he can play a combo guard role. Would be a decent replacement for Monk if he walks too.
- Salaun/Williams. Same reasons you mentioned.

If Da Silva and Carter are not there I would honestly prefer to trade down to try and get two later firsts. I really like DaRon Holmes and Ryan Dunn for our squad too. There's an outside chance Dunn is available at 45 but I highly doubt it.

I looked at Da Silva too. He is a Monte pick. I hadn't studied Carter, but my initial thoughts are he is absolutely a Monte pick. If Davion is gone I think he could even get minutes straight away with his defense.

And these are the reasons too why I wouldn't mind trading down for a couple of swings. Maybe even with the Knicks or Pels. There are tons of really good prospects in this draft that fill needs on this squad. I don't think you need to go outside of BPA either wherever your drafting as there will be someone there.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#23 » by BoogieTime » Mon May 13, 2024 12:09 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:highly doubt pick will be used

okay, if that's the case, what would the 13th pick get us? How would that factor into the salary cap. We're already going to lose Monk likely. What veteran we can get under the cap with can be a) had for the 13th pick b) better than the player we could take ourselves with the pick. Keep in mind most of these potential trades would likely involve a third team

Here's some names I came up with

Isaac - on last year of his contract making $17 million and fills a major need. ORL doesn't have enough minutes for everyone

Okongwu - makes $14 million and fills a major need. ATL might want to rebuild so this is a possibility

Gafford - makes $14 million and fills a need. Lively might be ready to assume his minutes and DAL might want a different need filled

Robinson - makes $14 million and fills a need. Maybe Hartenstein becomes their priority and they still have Sims as backup

Timelord - makes $13 million and fills a need. They can't play Ayton and him together

As you know I’m a big proponent of keeping Malik, and IMO we saw what he meant at the tail end of last season, so we might need this pick in a space deal plus asset from a rebuilding space team.

If for whatever reason we are gambling on Monk staying with our early bird, or that we could get straight expirings for Barnes/Huerter/etc from these space teams, Portland might give us Grant and Thybulle for Barnes/Huerter or what not. Washington could sweeten the Kuzma pot if Monte still feels as strongly about him as he did last summer for whatever reason. He went after Kuzma specifically on fit IMO.

I just can’t see us continuing to play with Sabonis/Fox primes when how else are we going to keep Malik or add talent. Bringing in rookies instead of sure veteran talent seems the opposite direction of the state of the team
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,628

Post#24 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 4:53 pm

What are the odds we draft at 13? I'm feeling about a 90% chance that pick gets moved in a trade
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#25 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 4:59 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:highly doubt pick will be used

okay, if that's the case, what would the 13th pick get us? How would that factor into the salary cap. We're already going to lose Monk likely. What veteran we can get under the cap with can be a) had for the 13th pick b) better than the player we could take ourselves with the pick. Keep in mind most of these potential trades would likely involve a third team

Here's some names I came up with

Isaac - on last year of his contract making $17 million and fills a major need. ORL doesn't have enough minutes for everyone

Okongwu - makes $14 million and fills a major need. ATL might want to rebuild so this is a possibility

Gafford - makes $14 million and fills a need. Lively might be ready to assume his minutes and DAL might want a different need filled

Robinson - makes $14 million and fills a need. Maybe Hartenstein becomes their priority and they still have Sims as backup

Timelord - makes $13 million and fills a need. They can't play Ayton and him together

As you know I’m a big proponent of keeping Malik, and IMO we saw what he meant at the tail end of last season, so we might need this pick in a space deal plus asset from a rebuilding space team.

If for whatever reason we are gambling on Monk staying with our early bird, or that we could get straight expirings for Barnes/Huerter/etc from these space teams, Portland might give us Grant and Thybulle for Barnes/Huerter or what not. Washington could sweeten the Kuzma pot if Monte still feels as strongly about him as he did last summer for whatever reason. He went after Kuzma specifically on fit IMO.

I just can’t see us continuing to play with Sabonis/Fox primes when how else are we going to keep Malik or add talent. Bringing in rookies instead of sure veteran talent seems the opposite direction of the state of the team

I agree this will be the direction, but I'm against it. We trade #13 for some close to 30 never impacted winning guys. The next Barnes for our team. Again I think this is what we end up doing, but unless we add more picks and find a way to get Lauri, Bridges, etc.. seems like a long term mistake.

In that range last year

Lively, Hawkins, george, jaime, pod, whitmore. 6 hits between 12-20

The year before
Jdub, duren, Williams, eason, branham

The year before
Murphy, sengun, Moody, jalen Johnson

I think there's a 30-50% chance we hit a Solid player, and each of these drafts had what looks like a few difference makers. I'd rather risk the high upside then trade the pick for kuzma or jerami grant.

Sabonis and Fox are mid 20s. Even if we draft them it doesn't mean that the guy we take at 13 can't be moved later. Maybe for more value if they play well. But the current trade market looks awful
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#26 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 13, 2024 9:41 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

I agree this will be the direction, but I'm against it. We trade #13 for some close to 30 never impacted winning guys. The next Barnes for our team. Again I think this is what we end up doing, but unless we add more picks and find a way to get Lauri, Bridges, etc.. seems like a long term mistake.

In that range last year

The year before

The year before

I think there's a 30-50% chance we hit a Solid player, and each of these drafts had what looks like a few difference makers. I'd rather risk the high upside then trade the pick for kuzma or jerami grant.

Sabonis and Fox are mid 20s. Even if we draft them it doesn't mean that the guy we take at 13 can't be moved later. Maybe for more value if they play well. But the current trade market looks awful

Spot on.

The problem the Kings are going to face...yet again, is the fact there are teams with far better assets.
Is it true Memphis is putting #9 up for grabs?
is it true Houston is putting #3 up for grabs?
I think both could very well be so the market for a lottery pick has a lot of teams selling.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs deal one or both lottery picks and OKC may go in several directions.

The Kings have the worst hand in all of these. Maybe the saving grace is there isn't much difference between say 5-15 in the draft and a team looking to save a few dollars could feel their guy is still there at #13 which won't cost as much as say 6 or so.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#27 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 10:06 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

In that range last year

The year before

The year before

Spot on.

The problem the Kings are going to face...yet again, is the fact there are teams with far better assets.
I think both could very well be so the market for a lottery pick has a lot of teams selling.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs deal one or both lottery picks and OKC may go in several directions.

The Kings have the worst hand in all of these. Maybe the saving grace is there isn't much difference between say 5-15 in the draft and a team looking to save a few dollars could feel their guy is still there at #13 which won't cost as much as say 6 or so.

Yup agreed with all this, although the last part may be a little wishful thinking. It's why I was so damn upset by last years off-season. It was really a huge chance squandered. We paid big money to retain Barnes, traded for Duarte, signed Sasha, and gave extra money to Sabonis to lock him up early. Squandered opportunity. We ran it back and we saw what happened, the entirety of the west got a hell of a lot better.

Thunder/Den/Wolves - not going away any time soon
Rockets/Spurs - up and coming filled with youth and assets
Mavericks/Pelicans - not old and better than us
Suns/Lakers/Clippers/Warriors - starting to fade as they keep getting older, but we've seen with those larger markets they are able to attract stars pretty easily.

We are really in a similar boat as Memphis. Nice core, but going to be hard to add to it. I'd say they might be a little better off than us.

I don't want to be doom and gloom. I'm happy we are competitive. I'm happy we finally developed a player like Keon. I just hate to think that we add a guy like Jerami Grant/Kuzma in another Huerter type move where we doom ourselves. Looking above, which of those teams does that move the needle against? We absolutely need to start thinking long term.

Long post but here's my goal.

1. Resign Monk
2. Move off Barnes/Huerter/Sasha/Duarte. Barnes/Huerter for John Collins? Sasha/Duarte/Davion/as many 2nds as it takes to Brooklyn for DFS/Schroder? Jordi gets some familiar guys while he gears up the tank. (some think expiring DFS will get a 1st, I don't but we will see. Portland 2nd + 2-3 sac 2nds may be enough)
3. Draft at #13. Take the best wing with length available. Take a freaking chance. Maybe we get the next Jalen Williams, Jalen Johnson, Trey Murphy, or maybe its a bust.
4. Continue to develop Murray, Keon, Colby, #13.

Fox - Keon - Murray - DFS - Sabonis
Schroder - Colby - Monk - #13 - Lyles - Collins

This team is bigger, faster, more athletic, has more 2 way players, and another young player to develop. Maybe im wishful thinking, but this is what I'd try to do.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#28 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 13, 2024 10:31 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Yup agreed with all this, although the last part may be a little wishful thinking. It's why I was so damn upset by last years off-season. It was really a huge chance squandered. We paid big money to retain Barnes, traded for Duarte, signed Sasha, and gave extra money to Sabonis to lock him up early. Squandered opportunity. We ran it back and we saw what happened, the entirety of the west got a hell of a lot better.

Suns/Lakers/Clippers/Warriors - starting to fade as they keep getting older, but we've seen with those larger markets they are able to attract stars pretty easily.

We are really in a similar boat as Memphis. Nice core, but going to be hard to add to it. I'd say they might be a little better off than us.

I don't want to be doom and gloom. I'm happy we are competitive. I'm happy we finally developed a player like Keon. I just hate to think that we add a guy like Jerami Grant/Kuzma in another Huerter type move where we doom ourselves. Looking above, which of those teams does that move the needle against? We absolutely need to start thinking long term.

1. Resign Monk
2. Move off Barnes/Huerter/Sasha/Duarte. Barnes/Huerter for John Collins? Sasha/Duarte/Davion/as many 2nds as it takes to Brooklyn for DFS/Schroder? Jordi gets some familiar guys while he gears up the tank. (some think expiring DFS will get a 1st, I don't but we will see. Portland 2nd + 2-3 sac 2nds may be enough)
3. Draft at #13. Take the best wing with length available. Take a freaking chance. Maybe we get the next Jalen Williams, Jalen Johnson, Trey Murphy, or maybe its a bust.

This team is bigger, faster, more athletic, has more 2 way players, and another young player to develop. Maybe im wishful thinking, but this is what I'd try to do.

I'm with you on your overall thoughts. I'm just not as hard on the FO for doing what they did last off season. There weren't any needle movers to go after so while we have Barnes, at least his contract isn't long and is easy to get off. Huerter is on a good contract as well.
I would have liked to keep Sabonis' contract a little under what he got, but hey, he is playing well and deserved that this season.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#29 » by LightTheBeam » Mon May 13, 2024 11:15 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

1. Resign Monk

I'm with you on your overall thoughts. I'm just not as hard on the FO for doing what they did last off season. There weren't any needle movers to go after so while we have Barnes, at least his contract isn't long and is easy to get off. Huerter is on a good contract as well.
I would have liked to keep Sabonis' contract a little under what he got, but hey, he is playing well and deserved that this season.

There wasn't any needle movers necessarily. But there were a ton better fits. Let's say we didn't trade for Duarte, resign Barnes, or give Sabonis a 10 million dollar raise. We had 30+ to play with.

I would have preferred to overpay Naz. And I mean I woulda given him 3-60 without hesitation. Lets see if he passes up 20 million to stay. I woulda given PJ an overpay, charlotte sat around waiting on that until the market dried up, very smart. I would have happily given Bruce Brown that deal he got from Indiana.

At least chased a few of the restricted guys, Pelicans resigned Herb for 4/52 are you absolutely kidding me? I would have without blinking thrown the Barnes contract at him 3/54 or whatever it was, and included Duarte money. Go up to 4/80 and at least force our competitors to pay up on their young guys.

In my mind, Barnes wasn't a "we gotta resign this guy no matter what happens". I woulda started playing with that money with 4-5 restricted guys, and at the worst case we force our competition to pay up while we lose barnes, best case we got one of those guys who would be key core players. Those are semi needle movers to me, and if you do enough of those savvy moves it makes a big difference.. Swap Barnes with Naz/Herb/Washington and it's much easier to build from there.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#30 » by OxAndFox » Mon May 13, 2024 11:39 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

1. Resign Monk

There wasn't any needle movers necessarily. But there were a ton better fits. Let's say we didn't trade for Duarte, resign Barnes, or give Sabonis a 10 million dollar raise. We had 30+ to play with.

I would have preferred to overpay Naz. And I mean I woulda given him 3-60 without hesitation. Lets see if he passes up 20 million to stay. I woulda given PJ an overpay, charlotte sat around waiting on that until the market dried up, very smart. I would have happily given Bruce Brown that deal he got from Indiana.

At least chased a few of the restricted guys, Pelicans resigned Herb for 4/52 are you absolutely kidding me? I would have without blinking thrown the Barnes contract at him 3/54 or whatever it was, and included Duarte money. Go up to 4/80 and at least force our competitors to pay up on their young guys.

In my mind, Barnes wasn't a "we gotta resign this guy no matter what happens". I woulda started playing with that money with 4-5 restricted guys, and at the worst case we force our competition to pay up while we lose barnes, best case we got one of those guys who would be key core players. Those are semi needle movers to me, and if you do enough of those savvy moves it makes a big difference.. Swap Barnes with Naz/Herb/Washington and it's much easier to build from there.

Naz signed before FA so he was off the board. I get it though, the FO certainly could have let his agent know there's more money around, which I don't doubt there was anyway.
Herb I think is a needle mover. The Kings have HCA in the POs if he were on the Kings the whole season. The question marks were his 3pt shooting and then he comes out, increases his attempts and hits over 40%. That contract is the best in the NBA outside of any rookie deals and is probably the reason, along with Murphy why they can deal Ingram. They also have Hawkins who is going to be a big time shooter.
I've never been a PJ Washington guy, but he sure is playing well for Dallas.

The NOP model is where the Kings need to get to, having assets on the bench learning the game and making better players expendable and you don't get that by dealing your pick every year. I know probably preaching to the choir more than anything, but look at the below and tell me it's sustainable. This was from a post earlier on the GB I did. It could end up being 10 years with 1-2 players drafted on the Kings.

2016 - Marquese Chriss (traded for Bogdan Bogdanovich, Georgios Papagiannis and Skal Labissière)
2017 - De'Aaron Fox
2018 - Marvin Bagley (traded for Trey Lyles)
2019 - Traded to Philly (then traded to Boston)
2020 - Tyrese Haliburton (traded for Sabonis)
2021 - Davion Mitchell
2022 - Keegan Murray
2023 - Traded to Dallas
2024 - Traded?
2025 - Traded to Atlanta (hopefully)

The Kings have the potential to have just 1-2 players they've drafted in a couple of years.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#31 » by BoogieTime » Tue May 14, 2024 1:11 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Spot on.

1. Resign Monk

If we didn't do that, and he left for a better supporting cast in Orlando, we wouldnt be talking about any of this.Which after two decades of crap, and a fanbase selling tickets and watching games isnt here for

This point is just going to set the thread of in a tangent. Respect your a minority on that Sabonis portion and go for the point (or are you telling me you would’ve done the same with Fox’s free agency?)

As for the rest of the post, I think we are a little closer than you believe, understanding this market is not compete or bust after the last twenty years. Gobert/Jokic are heading into their 30s, they can start to dissipate. We had a winning record against the top teams for most of the year without adding crucial pieces in place of Barnes/Huerter (and yes, hopefully Fox is better in future seasons). I just don't know how we are going to keep Malik and add this summer
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#32 » by LightTheBeam » Tue May 14, 2024 3:41 am

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Naz signed before FA so he was off the board. I get it though, the FO certainly could have let his agent know there's more money around, which I don't doubt there was anyway.
Herb I think is a needle mover. The Kings have HCA in the POs if he were on the Kings the whole season. The question marks were his 3pt shooting and then he comes out, increases his attempts and hits over 40%. That contract is the best in the NBA outside of any rookie deals and is probably the reason, along with Murphy why they can deal Ingram. They also have Hawkins who is going to be a big time shooter.
I've never been a PJ Washington guy, but he sure is playing well for Dallas.

The NOP model is where the Kings need to get to, having assets on the bench learning the game and making better players expendable and you don't get that by dealing your pick every year. I know probably preaching to the choir more than anything, but look at the below and tell me it's sustainable. This was from a post earlier on the GB I did. It could end up being 10 years with 1-2 players drafted on the Kings.

2016 - Marquese Chriss (traded for Bogdan Bogdanovich, Georgios Papagiannis and Skal Labissière)
2017 - De'Aaron Fox
2018 - Marvin Bagley (traded for Trey Lyles)
2019 - Traded to Philly (then traded to Boston)
2020 - Tyrese Haliburton (traded for Sabonis)
2021 - Davion Mitchell
2022 - Keegan Murray
2023 - Traded to Dallas
2024 - Traded?
2025 - Traded to Atlanta (hopefully)

The Kings have the potential to have just 1-2 players they've drafted in a couple of years.

Preach.. it's literal insanity. And now they are going to repeat it again for an aging veteran who won't make a difference. I really hope I'm wrong. I hope if we get kuzma he comes here and is a missing piece. But I'm with you. How can we be so early in the process, and have so few young home grown players. It's wild.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#33 » by LightTheBeam » Tue May 14, 2024 3:41 am

BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
Spot on.

1. Resign Monk

If we didn't do that, and he left for a better supporting cast in Orlando, we wouldnt be talking about any of this.Which after two decades of crap, and a fanbase selling tickets and watching games isnt here for

This point is just going to set the thread of in a tangent. Respect your a minority on that Sabonis portion and go for the point (or are you telling me you would’ve done the same with Fox’s free agency?)

As for the rest of the post, I think we are a little closer than you believe, understanding this market is not compete or bust after the last twenty years. Gobert/Jokic are heading into their 30s, they can start to dissipate. We had a winning record against the top teams for most of the year without adding crucial pieces in place of Barnes/Huerter (and yes, hopefully Fox is better in future seasons). I just don't know how we are going to keep Malik and add this summer

You really think he turns down extra money from sac to go to a worse fit Orlando? That's cope imo.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,083

Post#34 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 11:03 am

I am never in favor of trades when a comparable talent is there to be drafted. Why trade for Mitchell or TimeLord with their injury history when we could get Missi or Bona who both impressed big time on the first day of the combine and both provide the exact things we need the most i.e. rim running, pick n pop, shot blocking and energy playing next to Sabonis or as backup centers? #13 might be high for them but what if we can trade back a little and pick up more assets in the process and still nab one of them?

Or why trade for the oft-injured Isaac when Ighodaro, da Silva, Salaun, Buzelis, Holmes, Klintman, Grant-Foster or Lewis are available at #13 or after trading back?

For that matter, why sign Monk when imho, straight up better players in McCain and Knecht might be available at #13? I always prefer to build through the draft. Players can grow up in your culture, they're cheaper, they establish roots in the community and are more apt to stay long-term. Us fans get to watch them develop, gel with the team and blossom. It's much more fun.

Besides, as others have pointed out, we've got nearly the worst assets to attack needs via trade of perhaps any team in the league.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#35 » by BoogieTime » Tue May 14, 2024 11:18 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I am never in favor of trades when a comparable talent is there to be drafted. Why trade for Mitchell or TimeLord with their injury history when we could get Missi or Bona who both impressed big time on the first day of the combine and both provide the exact things we need the most i.e. rim running, pick n pop, shot blocking and energy playing next to Sabonis or as backup centers? #13 might be high for them but what if we can trade back a little and pick up more assets in the process and still nab one of them?

Or why trade for the oft-injured Isaac when Ighodaro, da Silva, Salaun, Buzelis, Holmes, Klintman, Grant-Foster or Lewis are available at #13 or after trading back?

For that matter, why sign Monk when imho, straight up better players in McCain and Knecht might be available at #13? I always prefer to build through the draft. Players can grow up in your culture, they're cheaper, they establish roots in the community and are more apt to stay long-term. Us fans get to watch them develop, gel with the team and blossom. It's much more fun.

Besides, as others have pointed out, we've got nearly the worst assets to attack needs via trade of perhaps any team in the league.

What’s needed next to Sabonis is spacing and the lane cleared, not lob threats on O. Mitchell and Timelord have been bandied as Sabonis partners?

Straight up better players than Monk who have never played?

I agree about Isaac. Team needs concrete results not guesses at this juncture probably - injury history is one.

Straight up better players than a finalist for 6th man who is the teams emotional leader and putting up ~20/7 in starters minutes at the actual NBA level.

They are prospects
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#36 » by OxAndFox » Tue May 14, 2024 11:32 pm

I wonder if Topic falls with his recent knee injury? That's two knee sprains in the last few months. Doubt he still gets past the Spurs @ 8, but it's happened before and if he's there you grab him.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#37 » by OxAndFox » Wed May 15, 2024 11:26 am

The more I see of Missi the more I like him. IMO he should be a top 5-6 pick in this draft.
He has the potential to be up there with the best shotblockers in the NBA and I believe he would be the Kings' backup 5 from the first month.
His offense isn't there, but its improving. He has a couple of Giannis like highlights going on too.

Anyway, is anyone buying Edey?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,546

Post#38 » by codydaze » Wed May 15, 2024 9:12 pm

The guy I want the most in this draft is still Ryan Dunn. Measurables and athleticism at the combine all came out to be pretty similar to Aaron Gordon and that's the player I think he can become if he can develop an even passable jumpshot. I see his floor to ceiling as anywhere between Matisse Thybulle to Aaron Gordon.

Taking him at 13 might be a stretch and he's likely off the board by 45 so I'm hoping mostly to trade back from 13 for multiple 1sts. Knicks at 24 and 25 is my dream.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#39 » by BoogieTime » Thu May 16, 2024 6:46 am

And as far as using this possibly in a Monk space deal, I’d like to remind this last trade period the Kings were specifically rumored to be after Pascal/OG. They are talented, but they were expiring which was key. That would have allowed the Kings to deal with them after Monk
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,083

Post#40 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu May 16, 2024 7:32 am

BoogieTime wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:I am never in favor of trades when a comparable talent is there to be drafted. Why trade for Mitchell or TimeLord with their injury history when we could get Missi or Bona who both impressed big time on the first day of the combine and both provide the exact things we need the most i.e. rim running, pick n pop, shot blocking and energy playing next to Sabonis or as backup centers? #13 might be high for them but what if we can trade back a little and pick up more assets in the process and still nab one of them?

What’s needed next to Sabonis is spacing and the lane cleared, not lob threats on O. Mitchell and Timelord have been bandied as Sabonis partners?

Straight up better players than Monk who have never played?

I agree about Isaac. Team needs concrete results not guesses at this juncture probably - injury history is one.

Straight up better players than a finalist for 6th man who is the teams emotional leader and putting up ~20/7 in starters minutes at the actual NBA level.

They are prospects

Sabonis can't defend and isn't a shot-blocker. We need size at the 4/5 alongside him that can handle those tougher defensive assignments. You're correct, in the past, with Sabonis unable to stretch the floor himself, having another big that couldn't stretch the floor next to him would clog the lane and wouldn't be good for Sabonis or the team as a whole.

Sabonis has now back to back seasons shooting a respectable 37% from three albeit on low volume. I'd like to see his attempts increase and more pick and pops from 15-18 feet as well. So Sabonis would be the one helping to spread the floor allowing another big to exist alongside him. And as important, when Sabonis is resting we'd have an actual center on the floor.

Yeah, better players than Monk. He is vastly overrated on here. They are the two best off-ball players in the draft. They would make people forget about Monk in a hurry. It's very possible they're both off the board making it a moot point. If we were pretenders with Monk making $10 million I'm not sure why paying him more helps us. If he can be replaced by more talented players for much cheaper that seems like a major win. 6MOY is won by guys on good teams that get starter usage. I'm confident Monk can be easily replaced whether it's by a draft pick or by in-house candidates.

Keon Ellis, with added playing time in April after Monk went down averaged 11-4-2 shooting 47% from three. We were good enough to remain in the hunt. Three times he got similar usage (12 FGA) Monk usually gets and he put up

19-5-6 (17 FGA)
16-6-1 (12 FGA)
26-6-5 (17 FGA)

I'm not saying Ellis is as good as Monk but it just shows how easy it is to replace that production and how overrated Monk is on here.

Return to Sacramento Kings