2023-24 General Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,228

Re: 2023-24 General Thread 

Post#221 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 5, 2024 12:11 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:I really struggle to understand why Sasha is not a part of the rotation. Lack of defense can't be an acceptable answer since our defense is awful with or without him in the lineup. There's no reason he should be picking up DNPs.

This part here.

Especially since every time I see the man play he aftually plays hard core man defense and just gets the usual NBA new guy screw job on calls.

And being that he is the ideal stretch PF, why he is not getting consistent minutes to get his shot smoothed just reinforces my personal feeling that while Mike Brown is a “good” coach, he is not an”great” or championship coach by a long shot.

Correct. His defensive numbers aren't horrible and his rebounding is the best off the bench. The only thing people go on is sometimes he looks horrible on D. But his team D and hustle is decent.
Also, any shooter is going to struggle when they have inconsistent minutes or no role. Would still like to see at times Lyles as the small ball 5 and Sasha at the 4 with Murray, Monk, Fox.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#222 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 5, 2024 1:22 am

Thought it would be interesting to see record wise where the team is at.
I forget who it was on the Warriors that said it, but during their dynasty years they would try and make sure they're .500 against teams with a winning record and .750 against the rest before the AS break. Then afterwards they could ramp it up and go for seeding.

So far this season the Kings are looking relatively good.
Teams over .500
9-9 .500

Teams at or below .500
11-4 .733
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,798

Post#223 » by BoogieTime » Fri Jan 5, 2024 2:03 am

OxAndFox wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:I really struggle to understand why Sasha is not a part of the rotation. Lack of defense can't be an acceptable answer since our defense is awful with or without him in the lineup. There's no reason he should be picking up DNPs.

This part here.

Especially since every time I see the man play he aftually plays hard core man defense and just gets the usual NBA new guy screw job on calls.

And being that he is the ideal stretch PF, why he is not getting consistent minutes to get his shot smoothed just reinforces my personal feeling that while Mike Brown is a “good” coach, he is not an”great” or championship coach by a long shot.

Correct. His defensive numbers aren't horrible and his rebounding is the best off the bench. The only thing people go on is sometimes he looks horrible on D. But his team D and hustle is decent.
Also, any shooter is going to struggle when they have inconsistent minutes or no role. Would still like to see at times Lyles as the small ball 5 and Sasha at the 4 with Murray, Monk, Fox.

What do you mean his rebounding is the best off the bench? its not near lyles or Len/mcgee's who is playing in front of him. I haven't been that impressed with his rotations/paint D.. I haven't seen much other than a inconsistent shot. I guess its up to interpretation..
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#224 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 5, 2024 3:27 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
This part here.

What do you mean his rebounding is the best off the bench? its not near lyles or Len/mcgee's who is playing in front of him. I haven't been that impressed with his rotations/paint D.. I haven't seen much other than a inconsistent shot. I guess its up to interpretation..

I should have mentioned non center position. I don't think Sasha is going up against them for minutes so I should have said that.

Yeah I mean the last 4 games where he got on the court for 3, 9, 8 & 6 minutes will drop your rebounding numbers. He had 1 in each of those games. Brown has put him in with a minute to go in the quarter a lot so far and it's not the way to utilize him.
Lyles in his last 4 games has a grand total of 15 rebounds in 83 minutes.

You give Sasha over 20mpg on a consistent basis and he will be getting 5-6 rebounds per game and at minimum 2 threes at around 40% and more than 10ppg.
His rotations haven't been that bad. Certainly not excellent by any stretch of the imagination, but decent enough, and he is never going to be a paint defender. That's just not who he is.
IMO he is a 3/4, Keegan is a 3/4, Barnes is a 4/3 and Lyles is a 4/5. It's a good mix and there are enough minutes to go around, just stop playing the big fellas unless you have a direct match up that's causing problems. Don't forget Trey owns someone like Gobert because he drags him out, so it's not just shorter guys he should be playing the 5.
Next 5 games where Trey should be playing the backup 5:
Toronto - Poetl/Boucher
New Orleans - JV/Nance
Detroit - Duren/Wiseman
Charlotte - Richards/scraps
Philly - Embiid/Reed

The only time Len/McGee should be used here is if Sabonis gets in foul trouble against JV and Embiid. That's it. I get they need to give them some time to keep the legs ticking over, but that's what garbage time is for.

You can go through all of these teams and Sasha has a spot on the floor and has a favourable match up on D.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 166

Post#225 » by Lost in LA » Sat Jan 6, 2024 4:40 pm

Fox does not look as if he is 100%, and seems to be playing through one or more injuries. Heavy load this month, and I hope he makes it through and is healthy.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#226 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 6, 2024 8:51 pm

Lost in LA wrote:Fox does not look as if he is 100%, and seems to be playing through one or more injuries. Heavy load this month, and I hope he makes it through and is healthy.

Yep. Definitely carrying that shoulder injury and I agree, seems to be more than that.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#227 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 6, 2024 11:41 pm

JTA waived. Thought that was a good move to bring him in.

Also looks like Trey is ok from his ankle injury. Looks like he is a bit sore so not certain on his availability for next game.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#228 » by BoogieTime » Sun Jan 7, 2024 11:27 pm

I turned the Pelicans game off at 16-7, just cant watch that again
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,006

Post#229 » by OGSactownballer » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:20 am

The fact that we just cannot match AT ALL really is a serious issue.

We cannot seem to get any sort of traction against long athletic teams whether they are good or bad.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#230 » by Lost in LA » Mon Jan 8, 2024 12:52 am

Defense requires effort, discipline and size, and we lack all three....
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,653

Post#231 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:14 am

Trade prayer circle.

I still think some team will remember what Huerter was and think he can contribute. Barnes is still an okay piece. They both need to be on teams that have length and defense allowing them to be shooters.

We need size and defense fast. Please Monte.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#232 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 8, 2024 1:50 am

OGSactownballer wrote:The fact that we just cannot match AT ALL really is a serious issue.

We cannot seem to get any sort of traction against long athletic teams whether they are good or bad.

Yeah it is a problem. A real problem the coaching staff needs to figure out because most likely we're going to be seeing a team with length in the first round. LAC/NOP/OKC/Houston all have varying degrees and have caused problems or will in a PO series.
Jones and Murphy are serious defenders with a lot of length and importantly foot speed. That last one, IMO is an area where the Kings need serious improvement.
Fox. Fast with quick feet. Outside of him, who else really does on this squad? I can't think of one player who has an adequate mix of speed and quick feet to be a terrific close out and recovery defender.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#233 » by Lost in LA » Tue Jan 9, 2024 12:47 am

If they lose to the Pistons, with or without Bagley, that should set off alarm bells.

How does selecting Bagley over Doncic look now.... :wink:
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,555

Post#234 » by codydaze » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:52 am

Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#235 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:20 am

codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

Its deceptive, as it kind of goes against the eye test. He's not the most athletic or intense out there, but you can't argue with those results. I can see why the FO is more reticent to move him
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,454

Post#236 » by KF10 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:16 pm

SG is a massive hole for the Kings.

Huerter fell off the cliff.

Duarte isn't it.

I like Ellis but he's not starting material.

At what point we should be considering Monk into the starting lineup? Dude will get his payday this summer. Might as well promote him as the starting 2 guard next to Fox?

PF is another hole too. Barnes is a ghost there. Needs to be demoted. Add Trey there at 4 for the time being.

I wouldn't mind seeing:

Fox
Monk
Keegan
Trey
Sabonis

...until we find something better.

Can we get Caruso? Lavine? or DeRozan?

DeRozan at the 3 and move Keegan at 4? DeRozan is putting up 22-4-5 and is a mid-range wizard.

Fox
Monk
DeRozan
Keegan
Sabonis

Everyone (sans Keegan) are currently averaging 5+ assist/gm in that starting 5. I wouldn't mind pursuing DeRozan tbh.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,555

Post#237 » by codydaze » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:37 pm

KF10 wrote:SG is a massive hole for the Kings.

Huerter fell off the cliff.

Duarte isn't it.

I like Ellis but he's not starting material.

At what point we should be considering Monk into the starting lineup? Dude will get his payday this summer. Might as well promote him as the starting 2 guard next to Fox?

PF is another hole too. Barnes is a ghost there. Needs to be demoted. Add Trey there at 4 for the time being.

I wouldn't mind seeing:

Fox
Monk
Keegan
Trey
Sabonis

...until we find something better.

Can we get Caruso? Lavine? or DeRozan?

DeRozan at the 3 and move Keegan at 4? DeRozan is putting up 22-4-5 and is a mid-range wizard.

Fox
Monk
DeRozan
Keegan
Sabonis

Everyone (sans Keegan) are currently averaging 5+ assist/gm in that starting 5. I wouldn't mind pursuing DeRozan tbh.

He's racking up DNPs for some reason but I would move Sasha into the starting lineup over Trey and keep Duarte there at the 2 if we stay with what we have. Monk and Lyles are too vital to our second unit to to not be coming off the bench. Monk is playing starter level minutes and closing games which is the way it should be. He just brings so much energy and can facilitate when Fox goes to the bench.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#238 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:23 pm

If the Kings are going to make a move I believe we have the starters for the 2 or the 4 on the roster currently.
Barnes/Huerter/Davion or some variation for a 2 should see Trey start at the 4.
Barnes/Huerter/Davion or some variation for a 4 should see Duarte start at the 2.

I would prefer trading for the 4 because the Kings need size and they have their "starting" 2 on the roster in Monk. He is in the perfect role and should be getting starter minutes (around 28-32 a night) and closing games which he is.
Duarte is solid enough to play 18-20 minutes. Get him in a consistent role and give him a chance to succeed.

The one thing I don't want to see is Keegan starting at the 4 next to a 3 that can't guard the bigger guys. He's also too valuable defending on the perimeter.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#239 » by OxAndFox » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:24 pm

Regarding Sasha. Old mate play by play mentioned something that I wouldn't be surprised. Didn't say it was fact, but typically if a player doesn't get on the court in a blowout like that and you're the only one it's because the coaches don't believe you're doing the work required.
Not suggesting that is it. But there is something there. It's not defense. Players are continually getting blown by game after game and it does not affect their playing time. It's not his offense, he is a great fit in this offense particularly with Domas. So what is it?
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#240 » by BoogieTime » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:25 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Regarding Sasha. Old mate play by play mentioned something that I wouldn't be surprised. Didn't say it was fact, but typically if a player doesn't get on the court in a blowout like that and you're the only one it's because the coaches don't believe you're doing the work required.
Not suggesting that is it. But there is something there. It's not defense. Players are continually getting blown by game after game and it does not affect their playing time. It's not his offense, he is a great fit in this offense particularly with Domas. So what is it?

Some people, and the COY agrees, he isn't good.

That's not to say Brown gets the rotation right all the time (Len, lol), but some people think he's an inconsistent mostly one dimensional three pt shooter who doesn't move well or impact the game.

The fact that he didn't come off the game in a blow out is mildly eye raising, maybe there is a bit of an issue growing between him and Brown.

But his minutes decline coincided with him being a letdown on the court for me.

Return to Sacramento Kings