ImageImageImageImageImage

Mark Mastrov

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

kevin44
Senior
And1: 8

Mark Mastrov 

Post#1 » by kevin44 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:52 pm

Mark Mastrov is the founder of the 24 Hour Fitness Clubs, with a net worth of $350 million & has interest in buying the Kings and keeping the franchise in Sacramento. Even if he can get a lower price I don't see it happening. The Kings will lose around 6 million this year. To turn this team around we need a real coach & a much better roster. He would have to lose a lot money & he wouldn't see a profit for a long time. The Seattle group has a combined net worth of billions.
bibby1023
Bench Warmer
And1: 208

Re: Mark Mastrov 

Post#2 » by bibby1023 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:58 pm

Jim Crandell ‏@JimCrandell
Guess name of Sleep Train Arena won't change if Dale Carlson becomes part owner..we confirmed Carlson's interest in being part of a group..

Won't be just him by himself
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#3 » by ICMTM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:03 am

I have the urge to lock this. In the other thread you used the logic the highest bidder doesn't always win. Now you're saying a lower bidder cannot compete. Here is the deal. The Maloofs are split on whether or not to hold or sell. 2 hold 1 sell.

IF the Kings are going to sell why would they take less money to stick it to the city? The Maloofs can't "hate" KJ. He hasn't stopped them from doing anything. The only thing the City has done is said we're a ready pro franchise. If the Maloofs want to leave it's within their rights. The Mayor has publicly said that.

So if you do not see Mastrov as a viable candidate fine. You can discredit him without bringing up comparison.
KANGZZZZZ!
kevin44
Senior

Post#4 » by kevin44 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:44 am

The highest bidder doesn't always win is right. Cohan & Ellison didn't like each other. The Maloofs are the most hated people in Sac, so why would they make us happy & sell the team to locals? The Maloofs would welcome a bidding war, but do you really think the Seattle group wouldn't pay even more? 525 or 600 million to them it's not a big difference. They are ready to break ground on a 500 million arena & can't start until they have a team delivered. Also if they don't buy the Kings there is no other franchise that is going to move or be sold in the near future. The Bucks were an option, but they signed another 5 year lease. Waiting around for an expansion team would be their only other option.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#5 » by ICMTM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:58 am

kevin44 wrote:The highest bidder doesn't always win is right. Cohan & Ellison didn't like each other. The Maloofs are the most hated people in Sac, so why would they make us happy & sell the team to locals? The Maloofs would welcome a bidding war, but do you really think the Seattle group wouldn't pay even more? 525 or 600 million to them it's not a big difference. They are ready to break ground on a 500 million arena & can't start until they have a team delivered. Also if they don't buy the Kings there is no other franchise that is going to move or be sold in the near future. The Bucks were an option, but they signed another 5 year lease. Waiting around for an expansion team would be their only other option.

Good points (and why asking questions is good)

Two of the three brothers do not want to sell anyway, meaning that two brothers want to stay and own the team here. The other thing is this city LOVED the Maloofs for a long period of time. Had they taken the arena deal the city and Maloofs would have been on again. If the Maloofs stay, or sell to local people, they will be liked. I've talked to Joe on the Concourse @ Arco. With Joe and Gavin I get the sense they want to stay and do right by the community. George is business 101. He's going to do right by his wallet.

I just don't see the Maloofs wanting to stick it to the city. I have seen where they have wanted to grow their net worth using the Kings as leverage, but not in spite of the city.

In the end they will sell to someone which makes their terms. The fact this isn't a done deal is proof there is something else (ie they don't want to sell, there is a better offer, etc). If $525m and moving the team to Seattle is what they were looking for they could just do it, no? It's there right?

OR...OR someone who wants to stay, give them $400m and take over the city loan is more attractive or they aren't ready to sell. The thing is when someone hits your asking price for something you generally move on it.
KANGZZZZZ!
Nicky Nix Nook
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 153

Post#6 » by Nicky Nix Nook » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:41 am

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave
“@PinotLiefio: @ina_118 @CarmichaelDave we found new buyers!?!?” No. They've always been waiting for the batsignal.

Jim Crandell ‏@JimCrandell
Greg Van Dusen who helped move the Kings to Sac from KC told me he is "assembling an investment group" to make a bid to buy the Kings..
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#7 » by wiff » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:27 pm

My only question is that if this guy and the Maloofs have been meeting then why was it released that he is on the verge of selling to Hansen and not Mr 24hr Fitness?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#8 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:41 pm

kevin44 wrote:The highest bidder doesn't always win is right. Cohan & Ellison didn't like each other. The Maloofs are the most hated people in Sac, so why would they make us happy & sell the team to locals? The Maloofs would welcome a bidding war, but do you really think the Seattle group wouldn't pay even more? 525 or 600 million to them it's not a big difference. They are ready to break ground on a 500 million arena & can't start until they have a team delivered. Also if they don't buy the Kings there is no other franchise that is going to move or be sold in the near future. The Bucks were an option, but they signed another 5 year lease. Waiting around for an expansion team would be their only other option.

The dollar amounts show your illogical train of thought Kevin.

You need to realize that a SELLING price of a total of 525 million is NOT all going to the Maloofs to start. They only own a little over half the team. I have heard no where that the minority owners who are all Sacramento families and residents are at all willing to sell their shares nor can they be made to. And considering that either I or my father are lifelong personal friends and acquaintances with several of these people, I can safely say I would have heard something by now.

In addition, you need to add these figures to that selling price:

Better than 100 million to the NBA plus another 6 to 7 million this year to cover operating expenses the past eight years - attached to the team and must be paid.

Approximately 75 million to clear the city of Sacramento loan - payable immediately.

Relocation fee and moving costs of @ 50 million total.

When you add all this up, you are looking at a true dollar total of nearly three quarters of a billion dollars Just to obtain the team. No matter how deep the pockets, that's a loss that will NEVER be recovered and they ARE businessmen in the end of things. At this point there has to be some discussion about just sitting it out for expansion that is a straight up four hundred million and done. It makes more sense and keeps everyone copacetic. It also eliminates even having to deal with the Maloofs and their ridiculous demand to still have control of operations from a two percent stake in ownership.

I have to wonder also if the other owners don't sell their stakes, is the offer still 525 mil for 51% of the team and baggage (the Magoofs)?

I highly doubt that flies in any way shape or form.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,499

Post#9 » by pillwenney » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:06 pm

wiff wrote:My only question is that if this guy and the Maloofs have been meeting then why was it released that he is on the verge of selling to Hansen and not Mr 24hr Fitness?

To up the bids, I'd think.
RJM
General Manager
And1: 2,266

Post#10 » by RJM » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:24 pm

Honestly, I don't care what it takes to keep the Kings in Sacramento. As much as I want to see the Seattle SuperSonics back in the NBA, I'd rather it not be at the expense of one of the wildest fan bases in sports. I still call your home floor ARCO Arena in my mind.
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#11 » by KingInExile » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:20 am

wiff wrote:My only question is that if this guy and the Maloofs have been meeting then why was it released that he is on the verge of selling to Hansen and not Mr 24hr Fitness?

Everything at this point is nothing but speculation, rumor and conjecture. I recommend not trusting anything reported at this point, especially when it concerns any actions of the Maloofs. They are sleazbags who are perfectly willing to float lies to the media through "reliable sources" just to try to manipulate a deal.

Until the NBA announces they have approved a sale, I view all reports as bogus.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#12 » by SacTown Kings » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:33 am

Iceburg Slim wrote:Honestly, I don't care what it takes to keep the Kings in Sacramento. As much as I want to see the Seattle SuperSonics back in the NBA, I'd rather it not be at the expense of one of the wildest fan bases in sports. I still call your home floor ARCO Arena in my mind.

I think most people here in Sac still call it Arco too, at least I do.
VeeJay24
Starter
And1: 11

Post#13 » by VeeJay24 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:16 pm

Has there been any news on Larry Ellison and could he be apart of this Mastrov group? I think if KJ can; he needs to get this guy involved because he can offset the pockets of Ballmer. I did read that KJ said people have come forward; now he has to develop an unified effort. A group of Mastrov, Ellison & Burkle could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
Sportz Gza
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#14 » by Wolfay » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:51 pm

If Larry Ellison becomes involved, I'm mostly sure it would be to relocate the team to San Jose. I doubt he drops 400+ million to keep the team in Sacramento. That's just my personal opinion though.
Dustin5566
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#15 » by Dustin5566 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Wolfay wrote:If Larry Ellison becomes involved, I'm mostly sure it would be to relocate the team to San Jose. I doubt he drops 400+ million to keep the team in Sacramento. That's just my personal opinion though.

Wouldn't happen for a number of reasons.

1) Warriors would vietmanily oppose
2) Other owners do not take well to moving a team into another teams territory (think: Anaheim)
3) Any sale to "local" ownership has to come with an arena/lease deal
3) Ellison has local ties (a house in Auburn) Not sure if that means anything tho :)
Dustin5566
Veteran
And1: 64

Post#16 » by Dustin5566 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Wolfay wrote:If Larry Ellison becomes involved, I'm mostly sure it would be to relocate the team to San Jose. I doubt he drops 400+ million to keep the team in Sacramento. That's just my personal opinion though.

Wouldn't happen for a number of reasons.

1) Warriors would vietmanily oppose
2) Other owners do not take well to moving a team into another teams territory (think: Anaheim)
3) Any sale to "local" ownership has to come with an arena/lease deal
3) Ellison has local ties (a house in Auburn) Not sure if that means anything tho :)
kevin44
Senior

Post#17 » by kevin44 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 am

The Maloofs own 53% & have control of another 12%. If they sell the team for 525 they owe Sac 70 million & the NBA 125 million. Also if they can keep a few percentage of the team, which sound illogical, they can trade that to Sac for the 70 million they owe. If the Maloofs default, the city gets a $25 million share of the team and the arena. Also they are trying to lower the value of Arco, so they can pay even less than the 70 million. Worst case for the Maloofs is a 525 million dollar sell price leaving them about 95 million. Best case they sell the team for 500 million stick Sac with Arco for a few % of the team & keep 140 million. I am not including relocation/moving cost because I am assuming Seattle group will be paying that.
wiff
Head Coach
And1: 21

Post#18 » by wiff » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:52 am

Anyone see this article by David Aldridge?

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/features/d ... f:nbahpt6e

He makes one very interesting point. Well actually he made a few but this is the one that stuck out to me. It's a pretty lengthy article.

All that Sacramento can hope for is that the negotiations between the Maloofs and Hansen hit some kind of 11th hour, 59th minute snag, leaving the family no choice but to turn back to Sacramento. (I'm not a businessman, but wouldn't you assume Hansen and the Maloofs have an exclusive rights window in which to negotiate terms of a sale, which would legally bar the Maloofs from having discussions with anyone else?)

He makes a pretty interesting point. If I was Chris Hansen considering the situation I would have had an addendum that required that once the Maloof's enter into "negotiations".

He also made a point about this being further along than we are all led to believe because the Seahawks have been rolling and he didn't want to take away the lime light from the Seahawks due to the fact that he is close to Paul Allen. Now that they lost we might hear an announcement shortly.
Wolfay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 649

Post#19 » by Wolfay » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:48 am

Sounds like speculation and opinion to me. It's incredibly well-researched speculation and opinion, but still speculation and opinion. Aaron Bruski, Carmichael Dave, and even Grant Napier today were all still optimistic.

I'd take anything said by anybody with a grain of salt still.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#20 » by SacTown Kings » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:04 am

It seems obvious the Maloofs need to remedy their financial situation yet still want to be involved, being the face of a team so they can still pretend to be in the big boys club. Last report I read said the Seattle group wants nothing to do with the Maloofs being part of the team. Which makes sense why the deal is still incomplete. You know the snag isn't about the money because they are getting way more than they should. Thing is the Maloofs could of still pretended to be in the big boy club if they would of done the right thing in the first place and agreed to the Sacramento deal. They could of still done the right thing after realizing they need to sell by giving Sacramento the first chance to find a buyer. They continually shoot themselves in the foot, I'm suprised any Maloof still have their feet. They just can't seem to ever look into the future and make good decisions. That's what smart business men do, they have vision, they don't look for the quick buck. The Maloofs just keep chasing the piece of cheese dangled a couple inches in front of their face while tripping over everything in their path.

Return to Sacramento Kings