ImageImageImageImageImage

What almost occurred between Celts and Kings on draft night?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

artest420
Junior
And1: 1

Re: What almost occurred between Celts and Kings on draft ni 

Post#41 » by artest420 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I would have been happier re-signing IT instead of swinging for these maybe trades that don't seem to pan out with this management group.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#42 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
JoaKING Noah wrote:This is an absolute joke, Kings offering Ben, JASON TERRY and a 1st for Rondo????? Don't even try that ACL excuse, Kings need to throw in Stauskas, add ANOTHER first and take on Gerald Wallace at LEAST.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KHTK1140Callers/status/490570172604768256[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KHTK1140Callers/status/490577419326091264[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KHTK1140Callers/status/490577924416757761[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KHTK1140Callers/status/490584566877257728[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KHTK1140Callers/status/490586580524863488[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KHTK1140Callers/status/490684742073729024[/tweet]

If it's true that they either want Rondo and Smith or nothing at all it's exactly what I thought, they want it all or want nothing. That's the kind of attitude that will help get you nowhere. You have needs, fill them. If one player fills half of those needs then you are half way there. Give me a break.

See I don't agree at all with this attitude.

In this particular scenario, if you go get one of these guys and not the other, you make a really big blunder. Of you get Smith without Rondo, likely you might be ok but still won't have a top quality set-up/distributor to make this machine roll and there is the distinct possibility of pure knickleheadedness that would destroy a very fragile construct. If you go get Rondo without his buddy Smith, he likely walks next year and you have given up good assets for nothing.

The partial wager might work in some situations (I.e. The IT decision and bringing in Collison which I still believe to be a positive move and likely moreso than anyone sees right now). But not likely in this one. Too many pitfalls.

Not true if you are already looking for a Smith type of big anyway and in reality, a Smith type big will have much greater impact than an upgrade to the PG spot right now. If you are expecting Collison to set up the offense and play some defense you are at least now finally getting that from the PG spot. They are playing "positionless" basketball and honestly, it kind of works in a play making sense. They have two legit offensive shot creators in Cousins and Gay, they don't desperately need anyone to set them up. Having a pass first, play D, get the ball to Cousins/Gay kind of PG is what's needed.

I thought Gay was Rondo's buddy? If Smith is the key to getting Rondo that's a different story in trying to acquire Rondo, but Smith, as I've stated before, is probably the only surefire candidate for the type of player they want to put next to Cousins. Just like Gay was one of the only realistically available options at SF the year before. The longer the Kings wait the more likely Smiths value goes up, not down considering his contract will only get shorter and right now all he has is the chance to improve. He's at his absolute floor right now.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#43 » by SacKingZZZ » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:52 pm

enderwilson wrote:Is the "all or nothing" interpretation based on the notion that we will only trade for Smith IF Rondo is coming as well, or is it based on the need for a balanced trade?

If Detroit is indeed willing to trade Smith for simply JT and Ray, then having only that trade without the one to Boston might not work for us. We will need the Rondo trade in order to move the proper amount of salary to make it work. (Don't know about this though. I'll let someone else crunch those numbers.) If this is the case, then I don't see it as an "all or nothing" scenario. I see it as a need to re-negotiate with Detroit, bringing in a 3rd team maybe, if we're going to make Josh's salary work. Ray just upped his value so maybe simply adding DWill, who should have some value for Detroit, could make the salary swap work.

That is essentially what was said in those tweets. The Smith deal is contingent on the Rondo one, and supposedly vice versa. I think Smith is available from the blurbs over the last few months, I don't think Rondo is gettable with what the Kings are offering, or are willing to offer.

Possibly the third team idea was to send someone like Williams away so Detroit could shave salary as extra value since they don't want to send anything of value. We've also heard a JT/Williams deal numerous times before this so either or. I'm sure Detroit is probably asking for more now after this free agency. Similar, if not lesser talents got paid big time this summer and that will also have an effect as to how bad Smiths contract is perceived.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#44 » by enderwilson » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:59 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:That is essentially what was said in those tweets. The Smith deal is contingent on the Rondo one, and supposedly vice versa. I think Smith is available from the blurbs over the last few months, I don't think Rondo is gettable with what the Kings are offering, or are willing to offer.

Possibly the third team idea was to send someone like Williams away so Detroit could shave salary as extra value since they don't want to send anything of value. We've also heard a JT/Williams deal numerous times before this so either or. I'm sure Detroit is probably asking for more now after this free agency. Similar, if not lesser talents got paid big time this summer and that will also have an effect as to how bad Smiths contract is perceived.

Tweets give something but are too short on details. Another perspective I've read is that the Celts are awaiting for the Love sweepstakes to be resolved before entertaining a trade for Rondo. IMO that helps to explain why many of these other deals are being held up. Until the Celts become open to what we have to offer, or bail entirely, we're not moving the pieces we need to make Smith's contract work.

Detroit has less motivation to move Smith than Minny has in moving Love. If Minny has a hard time getting Love out the door for what they think is real value, then I'm not surprised if SVG is holding out for as much as he can get. In the meantime, once the Love situation is settled, I will be interested in seeing how flexible teams become in making deals.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#45 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:05 am

enderwilson wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:That is essentially what was said in those tweets. The Smith deal is contingent on the Rondo one, and supposedly vice versa. I think Smith is available from the blurbs over the last few months, I don't think Rondo is gettable with what the Kings are offering, or are willing to offer.

Tweets give something but are too short on details. Another perspective I've read is that the Celts are awaiting for the Love sweepstakes to be resolved before entertaining a trade for Rondo. IMO that helps to explain why many of these other deals are being held up. Until the Celts become open to what we have to offer, or bail entirely, we're not moving the pieces we need to make Smith's contract work.

Detroit has less motivation to move Smith than Minny has in moving Love. If Minny has a hard time getting Love out the door for what they think is real value, then I'm not surprised if SVG is holding out for as much as he can get. In the meantime, once the Love situation is settled, I will be interested in seeing how flexible teams become in making deals.

It's certainly possible if some of the teams in the Love sweepstakes are also in the Rondo one but if that Cavs deal is legit there is no need to wait, nobody can beat that kind of package for Love. Even so there are so few teams left that have a true chance at landing Love that it shouldn't have much to do with Rondo getting moved one would think.

It SVG has intentions of keeping Monroe then he might be incorrectly guessing that he can wait on it. Maybe he doesn't have intentions of keeping him. That would clearly change things.
VeeJay24
Starter
And1: 11

Post#46 » by VeeJay24 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:36 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:
enderwilson wrote:

It's certainly possible if some of the teams in the Love sweepstakes are also in the Rondo one but if that Cavs deal is legit there is no need to wait, nobody can beat that kind of package for Love. Even so there are so few teams left that have a true chance at landing Love that it shouldn't have much to do with Rondo getting moved one would think.

It SVG has intentions of keeping Monroe then he might be incorrectly guessing that he can wait on it. Maybe he doesn't have intentions of keeping him. That would clearly change things.

But he has stated otherwise:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... him-highly

robasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/stan-van-gundy-knows-what-pistons-will-do-with-greg-monroe/

http://www.mlive.com/pistons/index.ssf/ ... _agen.html

and I think the Monroe camp feels like they are not being offered the max because Van Gundy hasn't been able to move Smith. The Kings need to stand their ground and I personally wouldn't include McCallum in any deal. No matter what Van Gundy says the Pistons can't afford to pay Smith, Monroe & Drummond at the same time. After having signed Collison and watching McCallum improve in front of our eyes; I don't feel the urgency in bringing in Rondo but I would be all for the Smith trade because after all he is the perfect guy to put next to Cousins but only if the Kings are just giving up JT & Derrick Williams. Here is a little something written about this situation.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-a ... -for-love/

This leads me to believe that the Kings are playing this exactly like I am saying here. The Kings are the only team after Smith, who has low trade value. So I think Van Gundy is counteracting this by trying to at least get to the season and hope Smith's play can improve his trade value. You notice in the mlive article Van Gundy states that the Pistons can pay all three bigs for one year. Hopefully, for the Kings some team can create enough room to make Monroe a max offer to force Van Gundy's hand. And remember Falk found one for Hibbert when he was a restricted FA.

Also I found this interesting:

This also can explain why Monroe hasn't signed yet; either way the Kings just need to be patient and not make a bad deal.
Sportz Gza
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#47 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:34 pm

VeeJay24 wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:
enderwilson wrote:

But he has stated otherwise:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-bas ... him-highly

robasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/25/stan-van-gundy-knows-what-pistons-will-do-with-greg-monroe/

and I think the Monroe camp feels like they are not being offered the max because Van Gundy hasn't been able to move Smith. The Kings need to stand their ground and I personally wouldn't include McCallum in any deal. No matter what Van Gundy says the Pistons can't afford to pay Smith, Monroe & Drummond at the same time. After having signed Collison and watching McCallum improve in front of our eyes; I don't feel the urgency in bringing in Rondo but I would be all for the Smith trade because after all he is the perfect guy to put next to Cousins but only if the Kings are just giving up JT & Derrick Williams. Here is a little something written about this situation.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-a ... -for-love/

This leads me to believe that the Kings are playing this exactly like I am saying here. The Kings are the only team after Smith, who has low trade value. So I think Van Gundy is counteracting this by trying to at least get to the season and hope Smith's play can improve his trade value. You notice in the mlive article Van Gundy states that the Pistons can pay all three bigs for one year. Hopefully, for the Kings some team can create enough room to make Monroe a max offer to force Van Gundy's hand. And remember Falk found one for Hibbert when he was a restricted FA.

Also I found this interesting:

This also can explain why Monroe hasn't signed yet; either way the Kings just need to be patient and not make a bad deal.

Then again, what did we hear at times with Thomas? haha.

I would think it unlikely that they would be willing to just let Monroe go, but you never know when someone like Stan who now for some reason has Pop status with the Pistons.

As I've stated before I'm torn if McCallum is in the deal. I'd rather this team hold onto him over Ben McLemore. McCallum is the only player on this team that can be fully trusted to do what his team needs on both ends.

Waiting is tough though because if that trio does work out better Smith's value only goes up so when you consider the Kings limited assets that might take them completely out of the sweepstakes with few other options to go after at PF who can do what they want.

Maybe something will spark when the Monroe thing is settled.
Celtics2014
Sophomore
And1: 43

Post#48 » by Celtics2014 » Wed Aug 6, 2014 3:10 am

I was watching the Celtics draft on the local coverage live. it was going to be :

Celtics trade #6
Kings trade McLemore and 8

I think the trade probably unraveled when Aaron Gordon went so high. That part is my speculation
I find your lack of faith disturbing.
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#49 » by SacTown Kings » Wed Aug 6, 2014 6:31 am

Celtics2014 wrote:I was watching the Celtics draft on the local coverage live. it was going to be :

Celtics trade #6
Kings trade McLemore and 8

I think the trade probably unraveled when Aaron Gordon went so high. That part is my speculation

Is there a link? Is this just someone working the local coverage opinion? Did the celtics organization actually make a statement saying this? I find it hard to believe kings would give up on mclemore just to move up 2 spots to pick to Gordon over stauskas. If they did then that would mean no stauskas and no mclemore. Kings would have no shooting guard yet draft a pf when they already have like 10. Makes no sense. Don't believe it.
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,499

Post#50 » by pillwenney » Wed Aug 6, 2014 6:00 pm

I think it was Exum. They hoped that Utah wouldn't take Exum since they didn't work him out. The way the Kings video made it look like they were considering the deal until it got to 6, and then stopped.

I would absolutely trade Ben and #8 for Exum.
Celtics2014
Sophomore

Post#51 » by Celtics2014 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:33 am

I was watching two reporters who were talking and I believe that they has a video camera on the Celtics War Room. I remember them saying that pick swap because I then was trying to get information on Ben and decide if I wanted that trade. Before the Celtics picked the reporters said the trade was off. Aaron Gordon had been a rumored target of the Celtics. I bet the Celtics felt that Gordon would make it to them and the Lakers would not pick Gordon so they could get the man they wanted at the Sacramento Pick. Randle may have been the target of the Sacramento GM. It's possible that he would have given up on Ben to get the player he wanted. There could have been other pieces involved but that what was reported. I don't think it was an unreasonable scenario that the trade was going to happen.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#52 » by KF10 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 1:50 am

They showed a live (muted) feed of the Kings war room and I remember at the time when Orlando chose Gordon @ 4, Pete immediately went to his cell phone and call/texted.
Celtics2014
Sophomore

Post#53 » by Celtics2014 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 2:01 am

KF10 wrote:They showed a live (muted) feed of the Kings war room and I remember at the time when Orlando chose Gordon @ 4, Pete immediately went to his cell phone and call/texted.

This adds some validity to my theory or the Kings target was Gordon
SacTown Kings
Lead Assistant
And1: 133

Post#54 » by SacTown Kings » Thu Aug 7, 2014 3:24 am

KF10 wrote:They showed a live (muted) feed of the Kings war room and I remember at the time when Orlando chose Gordon @ 4, Pete immediately went to his cell phone and call/texted.

Yes I saw that too. I do think Gordon was on the kings radar. But I haven't heard, read or seen anything that validates kings were going to trade mclemore to move up two spots. It doesn't really make sense. It would leave us with absolutely no one at the sg spot.
Celtics2014
Sophomore

Post#55 » by Celtics2014 » Thu Aug 7, 2014 4:20 am

SacTown Kings wrote:

Yes I saw that too. I do think Gordon was on the kings radar. But I haven't heard, read or seen anything that validates kings were going to trade mclemore to move up two spots. It doesn't really make sense. It would leave us with absolutely no one at the sg spot.

Put up on the general trade board

Aaron Gordon for Staukis and McLemore to see if the boards think that Sacramento would be giving too much
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#56 » by ICMTM » Thu Aug 7, 2014 8:50 pm

I think Exum makes the most sense. Had Vonleh gone 5 I can see some shuffling. The other thought was Marcus Smart @ 6 to the Kings. He was mentioned A LOT on their video but I think their analytics said he would not be there @ 8?

All Speculation

Adrian "Wo Jo can't spell his name" from Yahoo tweeted there was a trade brewing. I saw it that day. I'm too lazy to go look for it.
KANGZZZZZ!

Return to Sacramento Kings