ImageImageImageImageImage

Do you think Chris Webber was underrated?

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,476

Do you think Chris Webber was underrated? 

Post#1 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:32 am

Just curious. I'm sure you are divided on this like Suns fans are on Amare, but I think he is historically underrated. Wondering what you guys think.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Re: Do you think Chris Webber was underrated? 

Post#2 » by blind prophet » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:17 pm

We've never had much external verification from outside Sacramento, not really a big deal most of us are used to it. Is one of the reasons Cuz is a natural fit here. And no, most people 35+ probably place him where he should be historically. We had a couple of magical seasons here and for the people who never saw it, or never appreciated it is their loss. We'll always remember.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#3 » by ICMTM » Sat Aug 16, 2014 4:42 pm

I don't think Webber is underrated. Physically he was one of the most gifted players in the league. The PF discussion was Webber, Duncan, and Garnett for a while as far as best in the league. Webber's issue is he simply took too long to grow up, and when he finally did his knee went on him.

Had the Kings went on to win a championship Webber would be a 1st ballot HOF. The other thing for Webber is his career was cut short in his prime. What's helping his legacy though is his broadcasting work. He's quite good at it. I'll take him over Rose, Miller ANY DAY.
KANGZZZZZ!
SactoKingsFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,759

Post#4 » by SactoKingsFan » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:28 pm

Nope, I don't think Webber is underrated in general. Most knowledgeable fans recognize him as a top 20 all-time talent that never really lived up to superstar expectations. He's often criticized for well documented maturity issues, poor longevity, falling in love with his elbow jumper and the Kings playing better or not missing a beat when he was injured in 02 and 04. The interesting thing about Webber is that advanced stats suggest he was an overrated offensive anchor and underrated defender.

He'll probably get ranked/voted in somewhere within the 70-80 range in the current top 100 project.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1328924

Return to Sacramento Kings