ImageImageImageImageImage

Preseason Game Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

PaKwAn
Veteran
And1: 1,541

Re: Preseason Game Thread 

Post#81 » by PaKwAn » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:27 am

I'm impressed with the ball movement and unselfishness the kings have shown so far..its clearly a lot better than last years ball movement already.. its also pretty obvious that our bench is a lot better this year.
Scraptor
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,884

Post#82 » by Scraptor » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:10 am

I'm not sure if it's because I have a soft spot for Canadians, but holy crap did Stauskas impress me. I thought the pick might be a bust but the guy seemed to make great decisions, solid passes, and his shot is unreal. Hope this carries through to the regular season for you guys.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#83 » by Cruel_Ruin » Wed Oct 8, 2014 5:21 am

Scraptor wrote:I'm not sure if it's because I have a soft spot for Canadians, but holy crap did Stauskas impress me. I thought the pick might be a bust but the guy seemed to make great decisions, solid passes, and his shot is unreal. Hope this carries through to the regular season for you guys.

I was skimming your guys' gamethread and loved all of the Stauskas hype :lol:

DeRozan and Lowry were lights out tonight. Good luck going forward.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Post#84 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:01 am

If Stauskas has easily won the SG spot with his play then Omri just buried DWill on the bench for all eternity after this one. He's back to form and on the right team for sure. He looked like rookie Omri except post puberty.
nolimit0820
Sixth Man
And1: 98

Post#85 » by nolimit0820 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:31 am

Stauskas for sure! Love the cohesiveness tonight offensively. And DMC certainly was the anchor in his time tonight
SacKingsPejaFan
Sixth Man
And1: 114

Post#86 » by SacKingsPejaFan » Wed Oct 8, 2014 7:13 am

I went to the game.

Stauskas was fantastic tonight. I love his shot! His defense was pretty good too. They had him on Derozan for a bit, which is obviously a tall order, but he made it tough for Derozan at times. I think there was only one possession where he showed rookie nerves, and that led to his only miss of the night. I'm a fan. McLemore was solid too, but I think Stauskas is a serious threat for the starting gig. In fact, based on summer league and this game, I'd give the starting spot to Stauskas.

Cousins was a beast. He had some great power dunks, some nice shots in traffic, didn't really force the issue at any point. He also had a nice block or two.

JT and Landry were both really solid and already look much better than last year.

Casspi was the biggest surprise. He was really aggressive on offense and defense. He made some tough shots and got to the line a bunch. I could tell his shot is rusty because he missed some gimmies (still shot 4-8 though! but 7-12 FT), but once he fixes that he's going to get some good minutes on this team. I'm happy to have him back.

I like what I saw from Collison and Sessions. Both are very quick. Both are willing passers. And both can get to the rim with ease. Lowry abused them on the other end, but hey, worst happened with Isaiah. Collison had a few travels, which was odd. Hopefully that's just some nerves and rust that'll be gone when the real games start.

All in all, I like what I'm seeing. We're an improved and deeper team.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#87 » by KF10 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 4:13 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VD5Khhe8k[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlEOBVQdQ4[/youtube]
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#88 » by blind prophet » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:03 pm

I expected to see Nik playing at this level, can't wait until he gets even more touches.

What surprised me was Casspi. You could see how much his all around game has improved. While he is nothing special he can do a enough things decently where he may have a lot of value off the bench. Williams has been garbage for us so it was nice to see Omri playing so well. As long as Omri stays inside his game we may have got lucky on a cheap contract that may have boosted our bench production substantially.
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#89 » by SacKingZZZ » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:43 pm

KF10 wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03VD5Khhe8k[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZlEOBVQdQ4[/youtube]

So nice to see Stauskas playing off of Cousins. Now hopefully they continue to put Cuz in that spot and the other guys realize that they have an easy 2 waiting for them if they just cut to the hoop.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#90 » by KF10 » Wed Oct 8, 2014 11:51 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:So nice to see Stauskas playing off of Cousins. Now hopefully they continue to put Cuz in that spot and the other guys realize that they have an easy 2 waiting for them if they just cut to the hoop.

..sorta like the Peja/Webber connection in the early-00s, huh?

Stauskas has been impressing me so far. I hope he can take this into the season and play well with the starting 5 (assuming he is the starter at 2)..
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#91 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Oct 9, 2014 8:37 pm

Stauskas looks absolutely as advertised so far- not a killer athlete but athletic enough, has the smarts to get a lot of looks and shoots tremendously well. This mean you guys have any interest in trading Mclemore? Brandon Bass is a decent power forward... trolling/not trolling
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#92 » by KF10 » Thu Oct 9, 2014 8:57 pm

andy582 wrote:Stauskas looks absolutely as advertised so far- not a killer athlete but athletic enough, has the smarts to get a lot of looks and shoots tremendously well. This mean you guys have any interest in trading Mclemore? Brandon Bass is a decent power forward... trolling/not trolling

...another PF on the Kings?

:lol:
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#93 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Oct 9, 2014 9:08 pm

Well he's also expiring.. I'm sure Boston would trade Bass for Thompson/Mclemore, maybe even for Landry/Mclemore..

What are you guys going to do with Ben if both guys continue to look promising but Stauskas contributes immediately and looks like a veteran on offense?
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#94 » by blind prophet » Thu Oct 9, 2014 9:33 pm

andy582 wrote:Stauskas looks absolutely as advertised so far- not a killer athlete but athletic enough, has the smarts to get a lot of looks and shoots tremendously well. This mean you guys have any interest in trading Mclemore? Brandon Bass is a decent power forward... trolling/not trolling

Stauskas is 6'6 he is a better athlete than average. I have not seen anything to be alarmed about at all. He needs some help with calling out picks though, a good screen has worked so far against him.

And yes I'd trade McLemore for a pf or center that can play some D and at least spot shoot provided we can move Thompson or Landry out.

McLemore's ceiling is high, so I don't mind holding on to him and it backfiring, which has a pretty good chance to happen. But I'd be sold if we got rid of some clutter at the 4 and 5 and picked up a decent guy back.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM

Post#95 » by Andrew McCeltic » Thu Oct 9, 2014 10:29 pm

Bass is known for his midrange shooting and defense and has the ability to guard big small forwards. Ok rebounder. Good professional. In Boston we're looking to keep cap space to max two guys in the summer, so taking on Thompson would risk that plan if we can't make other moves- but for a prospect like Mclemore I'd do it, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
SacKingZZZ
RealGM

Post#96 » by SacKingZZZ » Thu Oct 9, 2014 10:40 pm

I'd say a deal using Ben to dump JT is reasonable. JT has actually looked pretty good this year though and he looked decent backing up C last year. Tougher call right now for a straight dump.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#97 » by blind prophet » Thu Oct 9, 2014 11:35 pm

andy582 wrote:Bass is known for his midrange shooting and defense and has the ability to guard big small forwards. Ok rebounder. Good professional. In Boston we're looking to keep cap space to max two guys in the summer, so taking on Thompson would risk that plan if we can't make other moves- but for a prospect like Mclemore I'd do it, personally.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app

I'm no expert on Bass, but if he expires I do the deal.
blind prophet
RealGM

Post#98 » by blind prophet » Thu Oct 9, 2014 11:39 pm

SacKingZZZ wrote:I'd say a deal using Ben to dump JT is reasonable. JT has actually looked pretty good this year though and he looked decent backing up C last year. Tougher call right now for a straight dump.

I just aggressively try during next off season to upgrade our 4 spot with some sort of defensive presence with the extra cap room.

Then look for a defensive SG veteran that is cheap for now, or even wait till next off season and call it a day.

I'd assume we would not have much flexibility to change much of anything about our clutter if we didn't make the move now.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#99 » by City of Trees » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:13 am

We don't need to trade McLemore. Keep both SG's. Get rid of a PF. I wouldn't rush to use my luxury of young SG's to dump JT or Landry.

Sent from my SM-G900T using RealGM Forums mobile app
Kings2013
Lead Assistant
And1: 932

Post#100 » by Kings2013 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:09 am

JT has looked good so far this season and hopefully Carl bounces back. In a dream world a year from now with the cap going up hopefully we can look at them as one of the best bench front courts in the league and not so overpaid comparatively, we'll see

Return to Sacramento Kings