ImageImageImageImageImage

2022-2023 Trade thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,159

Re: 2022-2023 Trade thread 

Post#221 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 13, 2023 9:50 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I doubt the roster looks much different next year. They will probably bring over Vezenkov and re-sign "old faithful" Barnes to 3/51.

Its pie in the sky IMO to think this team will be reeling in prime restricted FAs, unfortunately, and its not a FA magnet despite our increased success

Yeah I think you're right here.
The only RFA that will sign here are a) looking to get a higher price or b) a reclamation project.
I wouldn't be unhappy, to be honest pretty much running it back, but I hope that includes keeping Lyles around.
Fox/Davion/Huerter/Monk/Murray/Kessler/Barnes/Vezenkov/Sabonis/Lyles/??

That is how Monte can build the overall talent of the group which was extremely thin when he took over.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#222 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:09 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:I doubt the roster looks much different next year. They will probably bring over Vezenkov and re-sign "old faithful" Barnes to 3/51.

Its pie in the sky IMO to think this team will be reeling in prime restricted FAs, unfortunately, and its not a FA magnet despite our increased success

You make a good point.

Even in contention years it was trades that brought most of our premier players here.

That being said, with the tightening up of the repeater tax and taxpayer MLE rule, there will be more ex-contenders looking to unload money and retool/rebuild. We will have to see what is available on the trade market as well as the FA market and what is the best fit.

I can also see Monty finding a SG at 24 in the draft that can either be another guy who is already mature (JR or SR from one of the top tourney teams) or has shown good maturity of fame and growth that slides in family seamlessly the way Keegan did onto a now established team to allow Huerter to move over.

I wonder how far off Ellis will be next season. He most likely needs another year at Stockton, but with his defensive energy, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes TD's spot on the roster.
Either Queta needs to be on the roster in place of Len/Holmes or he needs to be let go. Both of these guys (Ellis/Queta) are 23yo so they need to make a jump now.

I think there is a decent chance Kris Murray slips to us too. There would be no hesitation grabbing him if he does.
On this note, I can't believe the draft sites don't have Kris Murray's comp as...Keegan Murray LOL He isn't as good a 3pt shooter, but C'MON!

So I would be hoping Rayan Rupert drops to the Kings too. He is a 6-6 SG/SF that is already a terrific on ball defender. Will need to learn the NBA game, but he has a massive wing span (7-2) and is able to defend 1-3 right now, not including the elite SFs.
My top 6 for the Kings (some will be off the board):
Rupert
Howard
Lively
Murray
Nnaji
Leonard Miller
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#223 » by codydaze » Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:35 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

You make a good point.

Even in contention years it was trades that brought most of our premier players here.

That being said, with the tightening up of the repeater tax and taxpayer MLE rule, there will be more ex-contenders looking to unload money and retool/rebuild. We will have to see what is available on the trade market as well as the FA market and what is the best fit.

I can also see Monty finding a SG at 24 in the draft that can either be another guy who is already mature (JR or SR from one of the top tourney teams) or has shown good maturity of fame and growth that slides in family seamlessly the way Keegan did onto a now established team to allow Huerter to move over.

I wonder how far off Ellis will be next season. He most likely needs another year at Stockton, but with his defensive energy, I wouldn't be surprised if he takes TD's spot on the roster.
Either Queta needs to be on the roster in place of Len/Holmes or he needs to be let go. Both of these guys (Ellis/Queta) are 23yo so they need to make a jump now.

I think there is a decent chance Kris Murray slips to us too. There would be no hesitation grabbing him if he does.
On this note, I can't believe the draft sites don't have Kris Murray's comp as...Keegan Murray LOL He isn't as good a 3pt shooter, but C'MON!

So I would be hoping Rayan Rupert drops to the Kings too. He is a 6-6 SG/SF that is already a terrific on ball defender. Will need to learn the NBA game, but he has a massive wing span (7-2) and is able to defend 1-3 right now, not including the elite SFs.
Rupert
Howard
Lively
Murray
Nnaji
Leonard Miller

The number one prospect for me is Bilal Coulibaly. I've been high on him for a bit now and the buzz is starting to pick up on him. If he ends up declaring for this draft he should be available in our range. He's younger and going to be more of a project than ready to contribute right away but I think he's going to be a really good player. His offensive game needs some polishing but he gives me Mikal Bridges vibes as his ceiling.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#224 » by OxAndFox » Thu Apr 13, 2023 11:10 pm

codydaze wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
You make a good point.

Rupert
Howard
Lively
Murray
Nnaji
Leonard Miller

The number one prospect for me is Bilal Coulibaly. I've been high on him for a bit now and the buzz is starting to pick up on him. If he ends up declaring for this draft he should be available in our range. He's younger and going to be more of a project than ready to contribute right away but I think he's going to be a really good player. His offensive game needs some polishing but he gives me Mikal Bridges vibes as his ceiling.

I haven't heard of him TBH. I haven't scouted this draft much at all. only a handful of players. Will have to take a look.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,590

Post#225 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:30 am

Would absolutely love to replace barnes/huerter with 2 guys who can defend.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#226 » by OxAndFox » Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:49 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Would absolutely love to replace barnes/huerter with 2 guys who can defend.

Could see Huerter traded along with some other things, but a real difference maker at the 4 would be required. Someone that can protect the rim, shoot 3s and play the 5. Not many can do that though.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#227 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:15 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:Would absolutely love to replace barnes/huerter with 2 guys who can defend.

Could see Huerter traded along with some other things, but a real difference maker at the 4 would be required. Someone that can protect the rim, shoot 3s and play the 5. Not many can do that though.

I can't see the Kings doing too much. I think they will try to improve around the edges. My best guess is they resign Barnes, and then use the MLE to try and add a guy like Bruce Brown/Craig/Crowder. Maybe try to dump Holmes using #37. Then likely pick between Sasha or Lyles. But I'd like to see them be aggressive. We saw with ATL/NO who looked like a young up and coming teams, things can go south very quickly with injuries and under performing.

Holmes + 24 +37 for DFS

Huerter + 2026 1st + 2028 1st for OG

Sign Bruce Brown Jr in free agency. 3/36 type of deal.

Resign Lyles.

Use the rest of the money on another center and pg. Bring back TD if hes willing.

Playoff rotation

Sabonis - C
Lyles - PF/C
DFS - SF/PF/C
Murray - SF/PF
OG - SG/SF/PF
Brown - SG/SF
Monk - PG/SG/SF
Davion - PG/SG
Fox - PG

So much more versatile. Suddenly we have a team with 4 really good defenders. Still have tons of shooters. None of these guys should be entirely played off the court. OG just spent a year as the 5th option. He comes here and competes with Murray to potentially be the 3rd or 4th option at worst.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#228 » by OxAndFox » Mon Apr 24, 2023 10:29 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I can't see the Kings doing too much. I think they will try to improve around the edges. My best guess is they resign Barnes, and then use the MLE to try and add a guy like Bruce Brown/Craig/Crowder. Maybe try to dump Holmes using #37. Then likely pick between Sasha or Lyles. But I'd like to see them be aggressive. We saw with ATL/NO who looked like a young up and coming teams, things can go south very quickly with injuries and under performing.

Holmes + 24 +37 for DFS

Resign Lyles.

Use the rest of the money on another center and pg. Bring back TD if hes willing.

Playoff rotation

Sabonis - C
Lyles - PF/C
DFS - SF/PF/C
Murray - SF/PF
OG - SG/SF/PF
Brown - SG/SF
Monk - PG/SG/SF
Davion - PG/SG
Fox - PG

So much more versatile. Suddenly we have a team with 4 really good defenders. Still have tons of shooters. None of these guys should be entirely played off the court. OG just spent a year as the 5th option. He comes here and competes with Murray to potentially be the 3rd or 4th option at worst.

That's not doing not much though.
I wouldn't mind if that happened at all though. Would be great.
I think Kessler works his way into the line-up next season though after a full off season with the group etc.

After a good play offs I would look to see what Davion can fetch. If it's nothing, then obviously keep him, but if you can get a decent upgrade somewhere then you do it. I think if Jaylen Brown becomes available then you look at options. He would obviously have to choose Sacramento, but these are the upgrades, like yours with OG that the Kings need to find. Think there will be some drastic moves with the new CBA coming in and that alone might hinder what the Kings do.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#229 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:57 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Holmes + 24 +37 for DFS

Resign Lyles.

Playoff rotation

Sabonis - C
Lyles - PF/C
DFS - SF/PF/C
Murray - SF/PF
OG - SG/SF/PF
Brown - SG/SF
Monk - PG/SG/SF
Davion - PG/SG
Fox - PG

I think Kessler works his way into the line-up next season though after a full off season with the group etc.

After a good play offs I would look to see what Davion can fetch. If it's nothing, then obviously keep him, but if you can get a decent upgrade somewhere then you do it. I think if Jaylen Brown becomes available then you look at options. He would obviously have to choose Sacramento, but these are the upgrades, like yours with OG that the Kings need to find. Think there will be some drastic moves with the new CBA coming in and that alone might hinder what the Kings do.

You don't think its much? I have that as swapping two starters and adding another top end bench piece. I honestly think we do less. I think the team will opt for continuity over player improvements.

I was low on Davion the first half of the season. Was too passive, never really felt like he found his rhythm. I get selling high, if he was the last piece needed to get a Jaylen Brown/Siakam level player then sure, but I wouldn't shop him to shop him. He's grown to be an important part of the team identity. Moving him messes with chemistry. Hoping this playoffs gives him the confidence to come in next year and be more aggressive offensively.

I like Kessler, just not sure what his peak is. He's got such a frail frame, seems like a solid team defender, but not sure about man defense. I imagine GS would have Wiggins/Klay abuse him in the post which is why Brown hasn't went to him. If he manages to become a rotation piece that would be huge, but he feels like the KZ replacement more than anything.

This is probably the most important off-season for this teams future. If we can dump Holmes it gives us tons of money to absorb in a trade or use in free agency. The following year Monk/Sabonis need to be retained and it only gets harder to improve.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#230 » by OxAndFox » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:11 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Holmes + 24 +37 for DFS

Resign Lyles.

Playoff rotation

Sabonis - C
Lyles - PF/C
DFS - SF/PF/C
Murray - SF/PF
OG - SG/SF/PF
Brown - SG/SF
Monk - PG/SG/SF
Davion - PG/SG
Fox - PG

You don't think its much? I have that as swapping two starters and adding another top end bench piece. I honestly think we do less. I think the team will opt for continuity over player improvements.

I was low on Davion the first half of the season. Was too passive, never really felt like he found his rhythm. I get selling high, if he was the last piece needed to get a Jaylen Brown/Siakam level player then sure, but I wouldn't shop him to shop him. He's grown to be an important part of the team identity. Moving him messes with chemistry. Hoping this playoffs gives him the confidence to come in next year and be more aggressive offensively.

I like Kessler, just not sure what his peak is. He's got such a frail frame, seems like a solid team defender, but not sure about man defense. I imagine GS would have Wiggins/Klay abuse him in the post which is why Brown hasn't went to him. If he manages to become a rotation piece that would be huge, but he feels like the KZ replacement more than anything.

This is probably the most important off-season for this teams future. If we can dump Holmes it gives us tons of money to absorb in a trade or use in free agency. The following year Monk/Sabonis need to be retained and it only gets harder to improve.

Yeah I mean I think they won't do much. Obviously explore trades, but the Kings don't have that depth of talent to send out and with the pick still up in the air it might take another season.
I can see the FO keeping Barnes/Lyles and promoting both Ellis and Queta to the main roster.
Staying the course through the draft and coming out with. On top of that I wouldn't waste the MLE just to use it. Keep flexibility this off season.

Fox/Davion/Dozier
Huerter/Monk/Ellis
Murray/Vezenkov/Miller (#24)
Barnes/Lyles/Edwards
Sabonis/Min FA?/Queta

More than likely Miller and BPA @ 37 would be in the G League. And if the Kings can sneak a player from undrafted to a 3 year deal (don't forget there are two forfeited picks this year) then it starts to fill out the talent on the team. Ideally you can upgrade the 4 at some stage.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#231 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:15 am

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:That's not doing not much though.

Yeah I mean I think they won't do much. Obviously explore trades, but the Kings don't have that depth of talent to send out and with the pick still up in the air it might take another season.
I can see the FO keeping Barnes/Lyles and promoting both Ellis and Queta to the main roster.
Staying the course through the draft and coming out with. On top of that I wouldn't waste the MLE just to use it. Keep flexibility this off season.

Fox/Davion/Dozier
Huerter/Monk/Ellis
Barnes/Lyles/Edwards
Sabonis/Min FA?/Queta

More than likely Miller and BPA @ 37 would be in the G League. And if the Kings can sneak a player from undrafted to a 3 year deal (don't forget there are two forfeited picks this year) then it starts to fill out the talent on the team. Ideally you can upgrade the 4 at some stage.

The part I disagree with is not using the MLE just to use it. IMO they have to. Of course it should be on a decent player, but I feel like teams like the better teams are all hovering at pretty high payrolls. if you use the MLE and the player is solid, you've just gained a tradable asset/role player for nothing. We need to build the payroll as that's how we will be able to eventually get a 3rd star.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#232 » by OxAndFox » Tue Apr 25, 2023 12:24 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Fox/Davion/Dozier
Huerter/Monk/Ellis
Barnes/Lyles/Edwards
Sabonis/Min FA?/Queta

The part I disagree with is not using the MLE just to use it. IMO they have to. Of course it should be on a decent player, but I feel like teams like the better teams are all hovering at pretty high payrolls. if you use the MLE and the player is solid, you've just gained a tradable asset/role player for nothing. We need to build the payroll as that's how we will be able to eventually get a 3rd star.

Yeah you're probably right. You just don't want another Holmes. If the Kings can't get out from his contract they might just have 2 guys sitting there for $23m.

I guess Vezenkov would come out of the MLE so there is that?
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 528

Post#233 » by Silver Man » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:15 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Fox/Davion/Dozier
Huerter/Monk/Ellis
Barnes/Lyles/Edwards
Sabonis/Min FA?/Queta

Yeah you're probably right. You just don't want another Holmes. If the Kings can't get out from his contract they might just have 2 guys sitting there for $23m.

Pretty brutal we still Holmes under contract for two more years after this one just rotting on the bench. After this season gonna be hard to offload without giving up some sort of picks.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#234 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:37 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Fox/Davion/Dozier
Huerter/Monk/Ellis
Barnes/Lyles/Edwards
Sabonis/Min FA?/Queta

If the plan is to resign Barnes, I'm not sure it's a huge difference towards our free agency outlook even if we were to outright dump him. IIRC in order for us to get access to the MLE we have to operate as an above the cap team. That mean's using the current 24 million~ in cap space to bring back Barnes + Lyles + whoever. Then we get access to the MLE which last year was 10.5 million (believe this increases as the cap does?).

Say we want to bring back Barnes + Lyles then sign a guy like Bruce Brown Jr. The difference between dumping Holmes to create the cap space vs just giving him the MLE is minimal. And if we go the MLE route, from a fans perspective, now we've continued to build the roster cap. Just thinking in terms of the future, this then opens up a larger trade. If we wanted to pursue a guy with a Siakam level salary (30-35 million) using max draft picks next deadline, you can almost get to salary matching with Holmes + Huerter.

Moving forward we aren't going to be a cap space team. Next year we will have to pay Sabonis a max contract, I'm sure Monk is going to want a raise.

I'm not sure it's a good basketball move to dump Holmes even if we had a taker for free. It's definitely a good business move from Vivek's standpoint. Now if he's not used in a larger deal, and we can do something like Holmes + 37 for Covington, sign me up. That gives us a player who can actually contribute. But I don't think Holmes deal is really a killer for Sacramento IMO.

Now if we want to actually chase a free agent like Cam Johnson or Kuzma, throw what I said out the window. Need to dump Holmes asap to do that. I'm just not sure we can expect 1 good year to suddenly make free agents actually consider us.

Return to Sacramento Kings