2023-24 General Thread

Moderators: codydaze, KF10, City of Trees

OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,004

Re: 2023-24 General Thread 

Post#261 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:54 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
KF10 wrote:I hope we see a move before the deadline. But why do I get the sense that after OG and Siakam are off the market, Monte's MO is keeping everything pat and he thinks that this bad stretch will self-resolves itself?

I hope I'm wrong.

I got that feeling a while ago too. No doubt he plans B-Z though.
There's typically a deal that was a blockage for other deals to happen. I'm sure this FO was waiting for the Raptors and there were most likely a few others.

This has been my feeling for a while since those were this years “big names” that everyone knew had to be moved because of their impending free agency.

Also we are much closer to the deadline and a lot more teams are looking at being in the mix now with play in on the table.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 997

Post#262 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:07 am

am I crazy for wanting to sign Lowry? A stabilizing veteran point guard that can keep the 2nd unit in check and for injury insurance? We might actually be his best chance at getting playoff minutes and making a deep run too unless the Bucks or Lakers sign him.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,544

Post#263 » by codydaze » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:16 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:am I crazy for wanting to sign Lowry? A stabilizing veteran point guard that can keep the 2nd unit in check and for injury insurance? We might actually be his best chance at getting playoff minutes and making a deep run too unless the Bucks or Lakers sign him.

I would be down to bring him in for sure. I think he would be a good voice to have in the locker room.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#264 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:11 pm

codydaze wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:am I crazy for wanting to sign Lowry? A stabilizing veteran point guard that can keep the 2nd unit in check and for injury insurance? We might actually be his best chance at getting playoff minutes and making a deep run too unless the Bucks or Lakers sign him.

I would be down to bring him in for sure. I think he would be a good voice to have in the locker room.

While I completely agree and I also think he would add an element that we severely lack in the veteran ranks - defense first mentality - I would only be on board for this if a bigger deal was done for a frontline PF that moves Davion.

Otherwise you are just completely destroying whatever vestige of value or confidence is left there and wasting Davion’s roster spot.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#265 » by City of Trees » Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:51 am

At the moment I've lost all joy watching this team. They've peaked and certain roster constructions have figured out how to blow them out of the water.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#266 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:06 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:

While I completely agree and I also think he would add an element that we severely lack in the veteran ranks - defense first mentality - I would only be on board for this if a bigger deal was done for a frontline PF that moves Davion.

Otherwise you are just completely destroying whatever vestige of value or confidence is left there and wasting Davion’s roster spot.

I might be one of the few that have always believed and still do, that Davion is a starting point guard in this league but he needs to start and play major minutes in order for him to show it because he gets into the flow of the game and his natural point guard and scoring instincts kick in. Playing him off the bench and off-ball is not conducive to him reaching his potential. That said, it's not going to happen here with Fox so if we were to get Lowry, his effect on Davion isn't really a concern to me since it wouldn't exactly change Davion's role or chances to fulfill his potential. I do agree that at that point you might as well package him and maybe Huerter for that PF we need.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#267 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:56 am

City of Trees wrote:At the moment I've lost all joy watching this team. They've peaked and certain roster constructions have figured out how to blow them out of the water.

Totally agree.

We’ll and concisely stated.

It’s time to do something before it goes into a true tailspin and is unrecoverable like ATL.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#268 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:58 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:

I might be one of the few that have always believed and still do, that Davion is a starting point guard in this league but he needs to start and play major minutes in order for him to show it because he gets into the flow of the game and his natural point guard and scoring instincts kick in. Playing him off the bench and off-ball is not conducive to him reaching his potential. That said, it's not going to happen here with Fox so if we were to get Lowry, his effect on Davion isn't really a concern to me since it wouldn't exactly change Davion's role or chances to fulfill his potential. I do agree that at that point you might as well package him and maybe Huerter for that PF we need.

I don’t disagree and I’ll take it a step further and say that if MIN were smart they would pick him up now while he is still pretty cheap and mold able and I think that he actually fits their roster and style perfectly and becomes a younger and better defensive version of Conley and about the same size. So no drop off and a lot of gain.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,166

Post#269 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:46 am

The last couple of games should tell you why the FO puts a higher price on the guys they have put up in trade. If they don't get value (which they should) then they won't be leaving Sacramento.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#270 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:30 am

OxAndFox wrote:The last couple of games should tell you why the FO puts a higher price on the guys they have put up in trade. If they don't get value (which they should) then they won't be leaving Sacramento.

it's really good timing for some of our end of rotation guys to be showing out right before the trade deadline. On one hand it makes me feel like let's just stick with them but on the other I know it's fool's gold and we should address needs using whatever means necessary.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#271 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:15 pm

OxAndFox wrote:The last couple of games should tell you why the FO puts a higher price on the guys they have put up in trade. If they don't get value (which they should) then they won't be leaving Sacramento.

The fact is the at despite the “I want it NOW!” puerile bitching of the fan base just because it’s been so long since we had a competitive winning team, there are still all legitimate NBA players too to bottom on this roster and this IS a playoff level winning team in the end.

Hell Chicago is putting out they want “a decent return” for Zach Levi e who is a horrific anchor of a contract that from the outside looks completely unmovable.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#272 » by OxAndFox » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:53 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:

The fact is the at despite the “I want it NOW!” puerile bitching of the fan base just because it’s been so long since we had a competitive winning team, there are still all legitimate NBA players too to bottom on this roster and this IS a playoff level winning team in the end.

Hell Chicago is putting out they want “a decent return” for Zach Levi e who is a horrific anchor of a contract that from the outside looks completely unmovable.

If GMs of other teams are demanding picks for these players, Lavine, Kuzma, Grant, Brown, etc it just means the Kings can't upgrade another time.
Watch Monte get another small around the edges trade done and wait for the off season to go after a big name. I wonder if what was reported during the week that the FO wants to see how this team does in the POs again is a thing.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,784

Post#273 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:31 am

OGSactownballer wrote:

It’s a sellers market. 3 firsts and useful expirings for Siakam is all you need to know. Multiple buyers.

I don’t need it now, but I would still look to sell Barnes/Huerter/Davion to re-up Monk (who has superseded early bird IMO) at this stage and try for the swing next year
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#274 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:23 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

It’s a sellers market. 3 firsts and useful expirings for Siakam is all you need to know. Multiple buyers.

I don’t need it now, but I would still look to sell Barnes/Huerter/Davion to re-up Monk (who has superseded early bird IMO) at this stage and try for the swing next year

That is just throwing away a season of Fox and Sabonis' prime though.
Perhaps you need to do that to take the next leap, but it's extremely difficult to replace guys like Barnes and Huerter.
Honestly, I wouldn't give the Fox and Sabonis duo another year after next. One or both would need to go. Maybe its the following deadline, but there is a timeline on whether or not this squad wins a championship.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#275 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:53 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

Perhaps you need to do that to take the next leap, but it's extremely difficult to replace guys like Barnes and Huerter.
Honestly, I wouldn't give the Fox and Sabonis duo another year after next. One or both would need to go. Maybe its the following deadline, but there is a timeline on whether or not this squad wins a championship.

Huerter/Barnes have played better recently, but I don’t have them meaningfully impacting wins/losses or certainly playoffs. But that’s how they have played over the course of the year, not recently.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#276 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:26 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Huerter/Barnes have played better recently, but I don’t have them meaningfully impacting wins/losses or certainly playoffs. But that’s how they have played over the course of the year, not recently.

I think we underestimate what they do. Sure we all want them to be better, but switch Barnes out for someone else and we will just complain about something else.
It's good to talk about who we could trade for etc, but at the end of the day, this is a good team for a reason.
They (Barnes & Huerter) are very low on the attempts per game list, but it doesn't take away their gravity. Teams have to stay with them and it helps Fox/Sabonis.

Now if you take these two out for, let's say, defenders. Just for the sake of argument, Thybulle for Huerter and DFS for Barnes you might say, that's great.
But what does it do to the offense? How much room does it give Fox and Sabonis? Because I can guarantee you teams are going to be sagging off both of them despite DFS having a reputation as a decent 3pt shooter, he is not.
Thybulle has improved, but he is still a sub par shooter. Does more pressure on Fox's outside shot help or hinder him?
All of a sudden the Kings improve on the defensive end, but there's no room for Fox to drive, and Sabonis' game is stifled because Thybulle doesn't move on offense and DFS isn't a playmaker and his main role would be to stand in a corner.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#277 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:37 pm

We went from 7th to 5th place overnight.

I'm not worried about playoff playin though, partially out of no fear of the top seeds. I'd still favor us at home in a one and done against the lower play ins most likely. I'd rather face the Thunder/Twolves than the Clippers/Nuggets and those seeds are in the air with the former ahead now.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#278 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:23 pm

BoogieTime wrote:We went from 7th to 5th place overnight.

I'm not worried about playoff playin though, partially out of no fear of the top seeds. I'd still favor us at home in a one and done against the lower play ins most likely. I'd rather face the Thunder/Twolves than the Clippers/Nuggets and those seeds are in the air with the former ahead now.

You and I don’t always agree but we are of the same mind here.

We are split with Minny and 2-0 against the Thunder this year and split with Denver.

For whatever reason (I still feel it’s matchups) we cannot solve NOP, LAC and have had trouble at the end in the last matchup with PHX but are capable of beating them and the injury factor for those three is always hovering there just like it is for Kawhi and PG. I don’t feel anyone behind us is unbearable but I don’t like a one game with GSW because they allow them to get away with too much BS. That said though we are growing and learning to suck it up and push through it.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#279 » by Lost in LA » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:58 pm

Hope that Dallas used up all their luck last night, especially with 3 pt shooting. I imagine Keegan might be on Luca tonight, and can help wear him down.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#280 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:44 am

Biggest issue facing us is that even though Fox and Sabonis can work together and have regular seasons success, unless they're both playing like all-nba at the same time, we aren't likely to win a playoff series let alone multiple. Right now Fox isn't. Since he isn't we need others to step up and it's been very inconsistent. Murray has SOME upside, enough to be a solid #3. Let's say Monk is a #4 and Barnes is a #5 with Huerter and Davion rounding out the playoff rotation. It still leaves us very thin on defense and shot-blocking. and isn't good enough.

Having Sabonis as our center without a shot-blocking 4 next to him really caps our ceiling. Why has it been so hard to find that player? Robert Williams (he's not really a 4 but it'd work) seems perfect. Barring getting someone like him via trade or thru the draft and addressing that obvious need I don't think anything else can change our fate. It's very disheartening.

Return to Sacramento Kings