ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-24 General Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,142

Re: 2023-24 General Thread 

Post#281 » by OxAndFox » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:39 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:Biggest issue facing us is that even though Fox and Sabonis can work together and have regular seasons success, unless they're both playing like all-nba at the same time, we aren't likely to win a playoff series let alone multiple. Right now Fox isn't. Since he isn't we need others to step up and it's been very inconsistent. Murray has SOME upside, enough to be a solid #3. Let's say Monk is a #4 and Barnes is a #5 with Huerter and Davion rounding out the playoff rotation. It still leaves us very thin on defense and shot-blocking. and isn't good enough.

Having Sabonis as our center without a shot-blocking 4 next to him really caps our ceiling. Why has it been so hard to find that player? Robert Williams (he's not really a 4 but it'd work) seems perfect. Barring getting someone like him via trade or thru the draft and addressing that obvious need I don't think anything else can change our fate. It's very disheartening.

Don't stress dude. This team will be ready for the first round this time around. Not saying they're the greatest, but at least the defense is going to be good.
What I want to say to people is it took an all time performance by Steph who cooks us almost every time to beat this squad.
That beats almost everyone in the current POs minus probably Denver who I would love to go up against. Not suggesting the Kings win, but I think we match up briliiantly with them.
Right now it's Denver, still if the Kings drop down 1 it's the Clippers. Not a great matchup but the pressure will be on them like no other.
We good. Don't stress, it's a marathon and not a sprint. Be healthy during the POs (which Fox/Sabonis weren't when t mattered) and this squad can go through to the WCF.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#282 » by Lost in LA » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:53 am

The Suns looked very poor tonight and Booker can't carry everyone every night....Not sure they are going to be a playoff force along with Golden State, so things are looking up a bit. Have to beat the Grizzlies tomorrow and go from there.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#283 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:08 am

OxAndFox wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:Biggest issue facing us is that even though Fox and Sabonis can work together and have regular seasons success, unless they're both playing like all-nba at the same time, we aren't likely to win a playoff series let alone multiple. Right now Fox isn't. Since he isn't we need others to step up and it's been very inconsistent. Murray has SOME upside, enough to be a solid #3. Let's say Monk is a #4 and Barnes is a #5 with Huerter and Davion rounding out the playoff rotation. It still leaves us very thin on defense and shot-blocking. and isn't good enough.

Having Sabonis as our center without a shot-blocking 4 next to him really caps our ceiling. Why has it been so hard to find that player? Robert Williams (he's not really a 4 but it'd work) seems perfect. Barring getting someone like him via trade or thru the draft and addressing that obvious need I don't think anything else can change our fate. It's very disheartening.

Don't stress dude. This team will be ready for the first round this time around. Not saying they're the greatest, but at least the defense is going to be good.
What I want to say to people is it took an all time performance by Steph who cooks us almost every time to beat this squad.
That beats almost everyone in the current POs minus probably Denver who I would love to go up against. Not suggesting the Kings win, but I think we match up briliiantly with them.
Right now it's Denver, still if the Kings drop down 1 it's the Clippers. Not a great matchup but the pressure will be on them like no other.
We good. Don't stress, it's a marathon and not a sprint. Be healthy during the POs (which Fox/Sabonis weren't when t mattered) and this squad can go through to the WCF.

I wish I shared your optimism. I think there's a good chance we're in the play-in and end up the 7th or 8th seed. None of the teams from the West are necessarily good matchups and a first round exit, assuming we even make it, is more likely than not. That is, unless we make a substantial move.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#284 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:19 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I wish I shared your optimism. I think there's a good chance we're in the play-in and end up the 7th or 8th seed. None of the teams from the West are necessarily good matchups and a first round exit, assuming we even make it, is more likely than not. That is, unless we make a substantial move.

I’ve said this stuff elsewhere and I’ll repeat it again.

It’s about getting in any more. The home court advantage has been very overrated in the last few years. With the change in style of play it doesn’t matter as much because once you get in your run, you shut that crowd up.

Kings have gone this year 2-0 against OKC. Split with Minny and they are tight games. Split with Denver. Split with PHX. Beat Dallas. Match fine with LAL and Domas owns AD and Le Bron will run out of gas. Beat Utah (yes they will be in the hunt for the play in by the end). GSW may very well miss everything the way they are going. They look

LAC and NOP have been problems. But one move either through trade or waiver pickup could fix that. As could simply being on their shooting and picking up the D.

Sometimes we need to think of how other squads look at us and think. Do you honestly feel like anyone out there wants to have to worry about dealing with Fox - the reigning Clutch Player of the Year - who had a bit of a test and is coming back into form? Or Domas who is right there with joker for triple doubles and the league rebounding leader? Or Keegan who has now shown he can drop forty on you with no real way to stop him and is rapidly becoming one of the leagues better defenders for four positions? Or Monk and his ability to suddenly microwave on you? How about Harrison showing up suddenly and just about dropping his jersey # and looking rejuvenated?

I’m not sweating playoffs. Just what matchups are when we get there.

The more important thing that Mike Brown MUST get through to them is to PUT TEAMS AWAY. Stop slacking off late and letting them back in. Put your foot on their throat and STOMP DOWN HARD.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#285 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:58 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I’ve said this stuff elsewhere and I’ll repeat it again.

It’s about getting in any more. The home court advantage has been very overrated in the last few years. With the change in style of play it doesn’t matter as much because once you get in your run, you shut that crowd up.

Kings have gone this year 2-0 against OKC. Split with Minny and they are tight games. Split with Denver. Split with PHX. Beat Dallas. Match fine with LAL and Domas owns AD and Le Bron will run out of gas. Beat Utah (yes they will be in the hunt for the play in by the end). GSW may very well miss everything the way they are going. They look

LAC and NOP have been problems. But one move either through trade or waiver pickup could fix that. As could simply being on their shooting and picking up the D.

Sometimes we need to think of how other squads look at us and think. Do you honestly feel like anyone out there wants to have to worry about dealing with Fox - the reigning Clutch Player of the Year - who had a bit of a test and is coming back into form? Or Domas who is right there with joker for triple doubles and the league rebounding leader? Or Keegan who has now shown he can drop forty on you with no real way to stop him and is rapidly becoming one of the leagues better defenders for four positions? Or Monk and his ability to suddenly microwave on you? How about Harrison showing up suddenly and just about dropping his jersey # and looking rejuvenated?

I’m not sweating playoffs. Just what matchups are when we get there.

The more important thing that Mike Brown MUST get through to them is to PUT TEAMS AWAY. Stop slacking off late and letting them back in. Put your foot on their throat and STOMP DOWN HARD.

Brilliantly said. Could not agree more.
I will add. One of the two teams we have had difficulty with haven't done anything in the POs either.
I admit I rushed an opinion of what Brown was doing re defense etc, maybe it was impatience, but obviously it's going to take a long while. Maybe there is a trade, but right now this team does show defensive capabilities on occasion. It's just not consistent enough, nor for long enough. Can they get there? Who knows?
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#286 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:06 pm

We also need to keep in mind that a bunch of these squads have guys that are injured and out for long stretches EVERY SEASON.

And most have been very fortunate with that thus far and are overdue.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#287 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 1, 2024 4:44 am

Read on Twitter
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#288 » by BoogieTime » Thu Feb 1, 2024 9:21 am

codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

He's also been putting up some study defensive stats. I can see why the FO was more reticent than I would've been earlier in the season to move him
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#289 » by KF10 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 5:44 pm

Imagine Keegan gets the green light on O and more shot attempts (>13 FGAs/gm).

I believe the Kings needs to put more focus in the second half of the season to get Keegan more looks and opportunities on offense.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#290 » by OxAndFox » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:07 pm

KF10 wrote:Imagine Keegan gets the green light on O and more shot attempts (>13 FGAs/gm).

I believe the Kings needs to put more focus in the second half of the season to get Keegan more looks and opportunities on offense.

Yep. He is making good reads on offense and getting more confidence.
I've been impressed with his increased play making. You do have to squint a bit there, but he is becoming a better passer and his dribble game is on the rise.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#291 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:12 pm

Keegan is the kind of guy who will add wrinkles to his game every off season because he will work on it until it is perfected and he does it naturally.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#292 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 1, 2024 11:19 pm

A little note for patience.

Ten years ago, the Warriors were still building and forming their team in the process of becoming the powerhouse we have known over the past decade. They don’t win their first championship until a season and a half later in 2015 and went on to win four total between then and now.

Contenders take some time to develop. Minus the usual crowd that throws big city money at guys and chases every available star even though it generally doesn’t work, it takes patient building and astute moves.

We will get there but we also have to be patient and not lose our minds every time things take a step back because that’s a part of the process of learning how to win.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#293 » by codydaze » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:11 am

Kings with no All Stars this year.
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#294 » by kalenclayton » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:46 am

codydaze wrote:Kings with no All Stars this year.

It’s kinda ridiculous tbh. Curry shouldn’t have made it over Fox (popularity). KAT shouldn’t have made it over Sabonis (though I understand the winning argument).
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#295 » by KF10 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:54 am

Sabonis should have made it at the very least
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#296 » by Lost in LA » Fri Feb 2, 2024 2:05 am

codydaze wrote:Kings with no All Stars this year.

Good, they need the rest
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#297 » by BoogieTime » Fri Feb 2, 2024 3:27 am

KF10 wrote:Sabonis should have made it at the very least

yep

he's better than AD and Towns who I guess are the other big reserves
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#298 » by OGSactownballer » Fri Feb 2, 2024 7:04 pm

Ultimately I have always felt that if you can’t at least keep your team at .500 or above, you don’t ever deserve an all star berth.

And I don’t actually care what the argument is or who the player is. A true all star - even with the seven dwarves and four street scrubs around him - can keep their team at .500 for half the season. We’ve seen it before and to me this separates the true stars from the also rans.

And I get that eliminates a near 40 YO Le Bron. It eliminates guys like AD who not only aren’t getting it done, but are being housed in a continuous fake injury list so they can rest them but circumvent the rules.

I’m sorry but if you’re that good and you’re not actually injured? Play ball and prove your right to be there.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#299 » by BoogieTime » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:55 am

OGSactownballer wrote:Ultimately I have always felt that if you can’t at least keep your team at .500 or above, you don’t ever deserve an all star berth.

And I don’t actually care what the argument is or who the player is. A true all star - even with the seven dwarves and four street scrubs around him - can keep their team at .500 for half the season. We’ve seen it before and to me this separates the true stars from the also rans.

And I get that eliminates a near 40 YO Le Bron. It eliminates guys like AD who not only aren’t getting it done, but are being housed in a continuous fake injury list so they can rest them but circumvent the rules.

I’m sorry but if you’re that good and you’re not actually injured? Play ball and prove your right to be there.

It’s pretty shocking that Domas, who is back in the top 7 of mvp consideration at nba.com can’t get in over Davis

But AD has always been overrated to me.

I won’t even get into KAT, just an empty stats player. The Timberwolves would still be good without him IMO. Minnesotas tide turned with their defensive renovation he isn’t integral to imo
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#300 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Feb 3, 2024 6:57 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:Ultimately I have always felt that if you can’t at least keep your team at .500 or above, you don’t ever deserve an all star berth.

It’s pretty shocking that Domas, who is back in the top 7 of mvp consideration at nba.com can’t get in over Davis

But AD has always been overrated to me.

I won’t even get into KAT, just an empty stats player. The Timberwolves would still be good without him IMO. Minnesotas tide turned with their defensive renovation he isn’t integral to imo

Completely agree.

I have never been an AD fan. He showed up exactly ONCE with a still fully capable of carrying the team LeBron, a functional supporting cast and a weird bubble situation after a GIANT pause to heal and rest that allowed him to squeak through a playoff run to a title. And a weak run there to boot.

KAT has always been an overrated joke to me. Dropping 62 in a LOSS not only doesn’t impress, it shows exactly who he is. Self centered and u able to actually carry his team no matter how good an offensive night he is having.

Return to Sacramento Kings