Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,575

Re: 2023-24 General Thread 

Post#401 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:06 am

codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

It was always a matter of time before he got a head coaching opportunity. Best of luck to Jordi in Brooklyn!

Wish there was a right way to have promoted him while thanking brown for his services lol.
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect
And1: 160

Post#402 » by Lost in LA » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Congrats to Jordi, he deserves a break.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,781

Post#403 » by BoogieTime » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:24 am

Alright guys its been a pleasure discussing bball with you this year, by this time tomorrow this place is going to be alive or a morgue. I'm a bit nervous
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#404 » by Lost in LA » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

For some reason, I am reasonably confident, as are the betting public judging by the spread. Whatever happens there are changes required for the team for next year.

As a side issue, do we actually own our pick this year, as I have seen a couple of early draft suggestions showing us at 13? I assume if we lose, that pick is lottery bound, or is the order determined by the regular season record?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#405 » by codydaze » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:23 pm

Lost in LA wrote:For some reason, I am reasonably confident, as are the betting public judging by the spread. Whatever happens there are changes required for the team for next year.

As a side issue, do we actually own our pick this year, as I have seen a couple of early draft suggestions showing us at 13? I assume if we lose, that pick is lottery bound, or is the order determined by the regular season record?

All depends on this game. If we're in the playoffs that pick conveys to Atlanta and would be 15 or 16, if not then we stay in the lotto at likely 14.
TyFrekey
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#406 » by TyFrekey » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:24 pm

Lost in LA wrote:For some reason, I am reasonably confident, as are the betting public judging by the spread. Whatever happens there are changes required for the team for next year.

I believe it is determined by whether or not we make the playoffs (win tonight). If we make the playoffs, Atlanta gets our pick via the Huerter deal and our future picks get freed up to use in trades, and if not then we retain it and are lottery bound. Then next year's pick would go to Atlanta if not in top 12.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#407 » by Lost in LA » Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Thanks, I would prefer the win over the pick at this point.
TyFrekey
Freshman
And1: 46

Post#408 » by TyFrekey » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:58 pm

Lost in LA wrote:Thanks, I would prefer the win over the pick at this point.

I think the win is better for our picks as well. If we win and ATL gets our pick this year, it frees up our future picks to use in trades for upgrading the roster rather than future picks being in purgatory until it conveys.
blind prophet
RealGM
And1: 3,246

Post#409 » by blind prophet » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:04 am

Hope to see some of you guys after the lotto. Our odds are poor to move up, but am curious about what you guys think we should try to do next year.

Monk contract

etc.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 856

Post#410 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:19 am

hate to say I told you so but I predicted this before the season. Last year was an anomaly. Fun while it lasted. You can't just stand pat while you're competitors improve and expect similar results. It's only going to get worse. If we don't do something drastic and make major changes, trade everyone, and embrace the tank, we're looking at being irrelevant for the next decade. We have a small window where we could trade Sabonis and Fox, get a slew of young players and draft picks, tank, and draft a franchise player(s) in the next two drafts which would put us in position to run the Western Conference after all these veterans retire in a few years. Or, we could keep being mid, fill the seats which makes the owners happy, but have no chance at ever being truly competitive. We do NOT have the talent where we can work on the margins and improve. Our stars are too flawed for that. Either go all in and rebuild or we're seriously doomed.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#411 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:30 am

At least we beat the warriors. The huerter trade haunts us another year. Truly a disaster. Excited for Keon and Murray progression. Hope I've seen the last of Huerter and Barnes in a kings uni.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#412 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:32 am

blind prophet wrote:Hope to see some of you guys after the lotto. Our odds are poor to move up, but am curious about what you guys think we should try to do next year.

Monk contract

etc.

Bring Monk back
Swap barnes/huerter for 2 guys in the DFS/Naji mold

Let keon/Keegan get better.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#413 » by BoogieTime » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:35 am

I think we saw Monk's importance down the stretch of the season which IMO this represents accurately

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Kings will need to have some cap IMO but we will see
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#414 » by BoogieTime » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:36 am

As for the Atlanta pick, not sure why Atlanta wouldnt just let us convey this pick. We may get better or worse, in each case the pick they will get in the coming seasons wont be a tail end lottery pick. It could technically never be a pick
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#415 » by codydaze » Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:53 pm

BoogieTime wrote:As for the Atlanta pick, not sure why Atlanta wouldnt just let us convey this pick. We may get better or worse, in each case the pick they will get in the coming seasons wont be a tail end lottery pick. It could technically never be a pick

2025 is a much better draft class than 2024 so I could definitely see them holding out until next year. Especially if they end up moving Trae which will probably return them a pick in this draft as well.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,144

Post#416 » by OxAndFox » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:38 pm

Couple of thoughts after ending the season. They won't be popular so let's start with the one that will hurt the hearts of most Sacramento Kings fans. There are many more, but we'll get to them.

* DO NOT, under any circumstances, allow Doug Christie anywhere near Domantas Sabonis this off season. He has failed miserably in "helping" the man how to shoot. I don't blame this all on Doug, it's on Sabonis too, but don't send a plumber to do an electricians job.
Why in the world would you send Doug Freaking Christie to teach someone how to shoot? Defense, sure, absolutely. Luke Loucks has done a great job with Fox, maybe send him to Sabonis too. Send him to Lethal Shooter FFS.

* I've been saying this for a while privately, but at some point the coaching staff needs to take some blame for the lack of development in Davion Mitchell's game. Or more to the point allowing him to grow as a player. He worked his tail off on his 3pt shot last off season only to go into the doghouse when he started poorly. That's all well and good, but the coaching staff never allowed him to play his own game, driving to the rim, pull up mid range shots. After the AS break they allowed Davion to do this and surprise, surprise the kid played the best ball since his rookie year, a year where he was allowed to shoot mid range. And the offset to that? His defense was also much better. Allow the good mid range shooters (Fox/Davion/Keegan) to shoot that shot and tell the ones that can't (Duarte/Sabonis) don't shoot it until you are good at it.

* Stop double teaming!! FFS go back to kids basketball and tell them they have to stop their man. Once they can do that, then expand. Teams get open look after open look against the Kings and no one on the coaching staff can figure out why? You don't have a shot blocker so why are you telling the perimeter defenders to channel their player to a certain spot? Get in front and play them straight up, as soon as you get in front of most players they just kick it out anyway so they're not a scoring threat.
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 856

Post#417 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:24 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Couple of thoughts after ending the season. They won't be popular so let's start with the one that will hurt the hearts of most Sacramento Kings fans. There are many more, but we'll get to them.

* DO NOT, under any circumstances, allow Doug Christie anywhere near Domantas Sabonis this off season. He has failed miserably in "helping" the man how to shoot. I don't blame this all on Doug, it's on Sabonis too, but don't send a plumber to do an electricians job.
Why in the world would you send Doug Freaking Christie to teach someone how to shoot? Defense, sure, absolutely. Luke Loucks has done a great job with Fox, maybe send him to Sabonis too. Send him to Lethal Shooter FFS.

* I've been saying this for a while privately, but at some point the coaching staff needs to take some blame for the lack of development in Davion Mitchell's game. Or more to the point allowing him to grow as a player. He worked his tail off on his 3pt shot last off season only to go into the doghouse when he started poorly. That's all well and good, but the coaching staff never allowed him to play his own game, driving to the rim, pull up mid range shots. After the AS break they allowed Davion to do this and surprise, surprise the kid played the best ball since his rookie year, a year where he was allowed to shoot mid range. And the offset to that? His defense was also much better. Allow the good mid range shooters (Fox/Davion/Keegan) to shoot that shot and tell the ones that can't (Duarte/Sabonis) don't shoot it until you are good at it.

* Stop double teaming!! FFS go back to kids basketball and tell them they have to stop their man. Once they can do that, then expand. Teams get open look after open look against the Kings and no one on the coaching staff can figure out why? You don't have a shot blocker so why are you telling the perimeter defenders to channel their player to a certain spot? Get in front and play them straight up, as soon as you get in front of most players they just kick it out anyway so they're not a scoring threat.

I don't know what is going on with Mitchell. He's just a really bad shooter. Reminds me of Westbrook. I think if he was to start for a rebuilding team he'd put up great counting stats like you see so many guys do on bad teams. He's very talented. And he can be a great defender. But on a contender, with how janky his shot is, he becomes an off the bench only guy and it's a shame. I don't understand how anyone that has played basketball their whole life can be bad at the fundamental things like handle and shooting. All you need is reps. It makes me question work ethic or how they're working to improve.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#418 » by BoogieTime » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:20 am

Lock up Brown now.. one of the reasons why this team is good. Maybe best coach of the sac era. Fans always complain about the coach and would complain about the next one
Lost in LA
Pro Prospect

Post#419 » by Lost in LA » Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:20 am

BoogieTime wrote:Lock up Brown now.. one of the reasons why this team is good. Maybe best coach of the sac era. Fans always complain about the coach and would complain about the next one

I have to agree with this. The Kings' primary problem is a lack of talent, along with low on court IQ.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#420 » by BoogieTime » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:14 am

Lost in LA wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Lock up Brown now.. one of the reasons why this team is good. Maybe best coach of the sac era. Fans always complain about the coach and would complain about the next one

I have to agree with this. The Kings' primary problem is a lack of talent, along with low on court IQ.

Right. The talent level at this point in comparison to the strength of the conference doesn't deem a better record

Not to sound harsh, but, IMO, some people will always complain about coaching, just like they will officiating. Sometimes its the same folks doing it, just complaining about abstract notions that barely register to the record (same people who don't like the coaching often think refs are pegged against the Kings).

Without looking, the same people complaining about Brown here or on the other sites were in all probability also giving Joerger a hard time (the only other decent coach we've had who wasnt fired for basketball reasons). Obviously everyone had the objective right to complain about Walton/Gentry lol.

But as someone who doesn't care to cliche direct apathy towards coaches, Brown didn't win COY for nothing and he is impressive. Vivek better not fool around with it because its one of the positive things that has happened during his term

Return to Sacramento Kings