ImageImageImageImageImage

2023-2024 Trade Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,142

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#241 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:40 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:If the Lakers somehow get Dejounte Murray for DLO and a 2029 1st I'm going to be beyond disappointed. How is it that the lakers somehow get these good players for pennies on the dollar, then I'm told we need to give 2 1sts + some for guys like Kuzma and Jerami Grant?

Kings need ATL on line 1. Barnes to Houston, expirings + 1st to ATL, Dejounte to Sac.

Absolutely. I can't imagine for the life of me they would want DLO. In fact, they would view him as a negative surely as they would want some long term salary relief. I don't think, despite DLOs recent form, he has much value at all. If anyone thinks differently then fair enough, but he's about to be on his 6th team in 9 seasons. And those 9 seasons have mainly been brutal when looking at W/Ls (see below). If you have this guy on your team you're not going to be winning too much.
It has to be there is a hang up on DLO going to the third team. If that is for pure expiring then that Lakers offer is nonsense and could be beaten by every team that would like to add Murray.
Mike B would have Murray back to his all NBA D form. Sign me up.
Like wouldn't Philly just offer Morris/Clippers 1st and that's a lot better.

DLO W/L Career
15-16 Lakers - 17-65
16-17 Lakers - 26-56
17-18 Nets - 28-54
18-19 Nets - 42-40
19-20 Warriors - 15-50 (33 Games)
19-20 Wolves - 19-45 (12 Games)
20-21 Wolves - 23-49
21-22 Wolves - 46-36
22-23 Wolves - 42-40 (54 Games)
22-23 Lakers - 43-39 (17 Games)
23-24 Lakers - 22-22
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#242 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:57 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:If the Lakers somehow get Dejounte Murray for DLO and a 2029 1st I'm going to be beyond disappointed. How is it that the lakers somehow get these good players for pennies on the dollar, then I'm told we need to give 2 1sts + some for guys like Kuzma and Jerami Grant?

Kings need ATL on line 1. Barnes to Houston, expirings + 1st to ATL, Dejounte to Sac.

Absolutely. I can't imagine for the life of me they would want DLO. In fact, they would view him as a negative surely as they would want some long term salary relief. I don't think, despite DLOs recent form, he has much value at all. If anyone thinks differently then fair enough, but he's about to be on his 6th team in 9 seasons. And those 9 seasons have mainly been brutal when looking at W/Ls (see below). If you have this guy on your team you're not going to be winning too much.
It has to be there is a hang up on DLO going to the third team. If that is for pure expiring then that Lakers offer is nonsense and could be beaten by every team that would like to add Murray.
Mike B would have Murray back to his all NBA D form. Sign me up.
Like wouldn't Philly just offer Morris/Clippers 1st and that's a lot better.

DLO W/L Career
15-16 Lakers - 17-65
16-17 Lakers - 26-56
17-18 Nets - 28-54
18-19 Nets - 42-40
19-20 Warriors - 15-50 (33 Games)
19-20 Wolves - 19-45 (12 Games)
20-21 Wolves - 23-49
21-22 Wolves - 46-36
22-23 Wolves - 42-40 (54 Games)
22-23 Lakers - 43-39 (17 Games)
23-24 Lakers - 22-22

Ya its the weirdest thing. You would think Lakers offer would be beat easily by 5-10 teams. But idk maybe people don't trust he will rebound his defense and that he's heading into a bad contract.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#243 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:12 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
Ya its the weirdest thing. You would think Lakers offer would be beat easily by 5-10 teams. But idk maybe people don't trust he will rebound his defense and that he's heading into a bad contract.

True. I just saw a report that the Heat were looking for a cheaper option than Murray so maybe the money is concerning some.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#244 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:24 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

True. I just saw a report that the Heat were looking for a cheaper option than Murray so maybe the money is concerning some.

Ya it's a little concerning his defense took such a dive. Guys look at Trae playing one side of the ball and do the same thing. Follow the leader. Fox/Sabonis might not be great defenders, but I think they at least give effort. I'm all in personally on "buying low" on guys who have in the past shown elite defense like Wiggins/Dejounte.

We don't have the assets to buy a super star. But I also would rather take a high reward risk than settle for a guy like Kuzma lol
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#245 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:41 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Ya it's a little concerning his defense took such a dive. Guys look at Trae playing one side of the ball and do the same thing. Follow the leader. Fox/Sabonis might not be great defenders, but I think they at least give effort. I'm all in personally on "buying low" on guys who have in the past shown elite defense like Wiggins/Dejounte.

We don't have the assets to buy a super star. But I also would rather take a high reward risk than settle for a guy like Kuzma lol

Yeah you get the feeling Monte is really a guy that likes the bargain basement bin. If Davion wasn't on this roster he would go out and get him while they add a 2nd and cash.
Watch him pull a big move out of nowhere now lol
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#246 » by LightTheBeam » Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:44 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

Yeah you get the feeling Monte is really a guy that likes the bargain basement bin. If Davion wasn't on this roster he would go out and get him while they add a 2nd and cash.

I can only hope lol. Overall I'm happy with Monte, my biggest gripe with him as been basic asset management.

I thought the Huerter pick should have been a 2023 1st rather than 24, especially after all the times he preached flexibility. It tied up essentially 3 years worth of picks at the time.

Back to Huerter, he let 27 year old Bogdan walk for nothing, and then went and traded a 1st for a very similar player in Huerter. Like why? For their careers Bogdan has been pretty much the exact same player.

Drafting Mitchell when it was painfully obvious this team was guard heavy with no real wing/forwards. Guys drafted after him Murphy, Jalen Johnson, Moody, Herb Jones, Ziaire Williams, let take a damn risk and hope any of them develop.

Then we get to last year. Trading the 24th pick to dump Holmes. We had some extra space and bird rights on a bunch of guys, was that move necessary to accomplish our goals? Lets say it was.. You spent money to resign Lyles and bring in Sasha, how much different is this team without Barnes while giving those 2 additional minutes? It was painfully obvious all of our 4s were good shooters and none really play defense, why do you need some much overlap?

You look at other teams and you can spot some intriguing young talent that teams like to take in trades, but due to our mismanagement we don't have any of those guys. It goes from Keegan to Mitchell LOL. Hopefully he cleans that up, because this team lacks depth and those young guys can be traded for solid depth or eventually develop into just that.

And I don't want to sound like I'm pooping on Monte. He's done plenty of good. Betting on Fox, drafting Hali, Drafting Keegan, signing Monk, trading Bagley bum self for Lyles, getting Sabonis, getting Sasha for nothing, hiring Brown. Not expecting the guy to be perfect, hopefully hes learned from his mistakes.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#247 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:53 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I can only hope lol. Overall I'm happy with Monte, my biggest gripe with him as been basic asset management.

I thought the Huerter pick should have been a 2023 1st rather than 24, especially after all the times he preached flexibility. It tied up essentially 3 years worth of picks at the time.

Back to Huerter, he let 27 year old Bogdan walk for nothing, and then went and traded a 1st for a very similar player in Huerter. Like why? For their careers Bogdan has been pretty much the exact same player.

Drafting Mitchell when it was painfully obvious this team was guard heavy with no real wing/forwards. Guys drafted after him Murphy, Jalen Johnson, Moody, Herb Jones, Ziaire Williams, let take a damn risk and hope any of them develop.

Then we get to last year. Trading the 24th pick to dump Holmes. We had some extra space and bird rights on a bunch of guys, was that move necessary to accomplish our goals? Lets say it was.. You spent money to resign Lyles and bring in Sasha, how much different is this team without Barnes while giving those 2 additional minutes? It was painfully obvious all of our 4s were good shooters and none really play defense, why do you need some much overlap?

You look at other teams and you can spot some intriguing young talent that teams like to take in trades, but due to our mismanagement we don't have any of those guys. It goes from Keegan to Mitchell LOL. Hopefully he cleans that up, because this team lacks depth and those young guys can be traded for solid depth or eventually develop into just that.

And I don't want to sound like I'm pooping on Monte. He's done plenty of good. Betting on Fox, drafting Hali, Drafting Keegan, signing Monk, trading Bagley bum self for Lyles, getting Sabonis, getting Sasha for nothing, hiring Brown. Not expecting the guy to be perfect, hopefully hes learned from his mistakes.

I think they're all very reasonable thoughts and criticisms. I for one have been saying how few draft picks are on our roster currently from previous years and when you take away the 2024 1st as well it's worrying. That's why I wasn't a supporter of just going for experience in the off season. And I believe that needs to be corrected this off season.
IMO you need at the very least 2-3 young players with potential. That doesn't mean they have to spend the entire time with the NBA team. And prefereably you have one of them getting occasional minutes. But right now is the PERFECT time to have these guys on the roster because in a mid 20s (age wise) roster like the Kings have the players tend to miss fewer games so you don't have to go as deep.
Also when the young players hit, it's far easier to upgrade. Monte is a decent talent evaluator, but he needs to get out of this habit of picking guys "that they know what they can do" ie older rookies.
With so many players locked up for multiple years
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#248 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:19 am

On Monte:
Tyrese was a home run. Couldn't have asked for any better. Selected Tillman Sr, Ramsey, Martin Jr. Traded the only two that played in the NBA basically for cash and no one that ever played.

March 2021 simply wasn't Monte's greatest hits.

Then Davion was a bad pick. Almost everyone knew it at the time. There were some here that were going for Herb Jones, Trey Murphy, Sengun, etc.

More recently. The Hali/Sabonis trade hurt everyone in Sacramento. It has worked out well, but Hali is a golden boy and the Kings haven't had one of them. lol.
The Bagley trade was a big win.

Keegan Murray's selection was excellent. Jaden Hardy was a really good selection...then traded him to Dallas for '24 2nd and '28 2nd.
So the Jaden Hardy selection has turned into Duarte & Colby Jones kind of.
The 2nd rounder the Kings got in the Hali deal, pick #38 in the 2023 Draft and the '24 Dallas 2nd from the Hardy deal got them Colby Jones.

Traded the other 2nd from the Hardy deal, Dal '28 2nd & Kings '30 2nd for Duarte.

The Holmes deal for OMax is still up in the air, but it did open up the space to sign Sabonis.

He has been pretty good. But only having Keegan/Davion/Colby on the roster that you have drafted while trading so many picks isn't great when the first rounders that you have traded haven't turned into valuable guys, like AS valuable guys. I still think Huerter was worth the price, but Light The Beam is right, Bogey is a similar player that he let go for nothing.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#249 » by LightTheBeam » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:23 am

OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

I think they're all very reasonable thoughts and criticisms. I for one have been saying how few draft picks are on our roster currently from previous years and when you take away the 2024 1st as well it's worrying. That's why I wasn't a supporter of just going for experience in the off season. And I believe that needs to be corrected this off season.
IMO you need at the very least 2-3 young players with potential. That doesn't mean they have to spend the entire time with the NBA team. And prefereably you have one of them getting occasional minutes. But right now is the PERFECT time to have these guys on the roster because in a mid 20s (age wise) roster like the Kings have the players tend to miss fewer games so you don't have to go as deep.
Also when the young players hit, it's far easier to upgrade. Monte is a decent talent evaluator, but he needs to get out of this habit of picking guys "that they know what they can do" ie older rookies.
With so many players locked up for multiple years

Half the draft pick issue feels beyond Monte. Its a G-League, coaching issue. When we draft these early 2nds, we literally never develop them. Since Thomas have we had a single 2nd who has become even a 10th man? With all the back court struggles I thought it was a great time to give Colby an opportunity. Then he got minutes and i feel like hes too timid because coaching to even shoot (although his defense looked great), keep giving the guy minutes! If we could hit on him and turn him into a legit backup guard that would be huge!!!

And I'm not expecting every 2nd to hit, but not a single one in 10-15 years? That's crazy.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#250 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:36 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I feel like coaching/coaching style has a lot more to do with that than other player influence.

ATL is built around a run and gun philosophy BECAUSE Trae is the centerpiece. So everyone has to roll with that. Even Capela is no longer the defender he once was and that was basically All NBA level even as an undersized Center.

I’d think that there is a better end here to make Dejounte be more of a focal point of the perimeter defense or moreso a one/two punch that way with Keegan’s growing abilities to defend on the perimeter. Then the offense of both can flow naturally and be augm need by Domas/Fox/Monk ability to create nice open looks and lanes for others.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#251 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:52 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

While I agree with some of your points, you have a LOT of revisionist history here that doesn’t run at all with reality and the actual situations.

Let’s start with the Bogdan/Huerter/‘24 pick part. Bogdan - at the time he was let walk (and don’t forget that was a result of him and his camp being soured by a trade that fell through for Donte DiVincenzo because Milwaukee screwed it ip - not their first such screw up either) was redundant to the roster because we still had Buddy (better shooter from 3 on volume at the time) and Bogdan is not really big enough to start and play the SF full time. Also $28/year was seen by everyone as way too much for essentially a fifth starter/sixth man at that cap level four years ago (and with it strapping our cap here as well). It was looked at as a severe overpay and if you look at the long term and his actual number of games played and the win share I’d have to say that’s accurate. Now you say that Huerter and Bogi are the same player. And I will mostly grant you that with two major differences. The first is age. Bogi is not 27. He is 31. And he has not improved AT ALL as a player between when he left and now. If anything he has been exposed as being basically predominantly a bench caliber guy. Huerter is 25 and not yet in his prime. Huerter is also taller and longer and as his defensive abilities improve will be able to guard up and is a better and more effective rebounder for the position. So you have a guy who is already at a minimum at that level, is six years younger and is under a cheaper cost controlled contract. That’s a definite improvement but it took time to execute because you also need to remember that Monte was digging this team out of the Vlade black hole that he was left. Then the pick. Through a lens of being a 48 win third seed team last year it looks like what you said. We could have given up the ‘23 pick and been totally clear to move any others. But coming into that point we weren’t in a position to know that we would be THAT TEAM. We could just as easily have still been a lotto team. Then what would you and everyone be screaming that we gave up a LOTTO pick for Huerter and no playoffs? And then if we DIDN’T miss playoffs, the protections would still have bounced the puck to this year. So no actual difference any which way. And as it stands right now, there is actually not any guarantee that the pick does convey this year. One or two injuries. A continued funk. A horrid road trip here. And we find ourselves in the lotto and then would you want that pick going away? Heck no! That is also why dangling the carrot of removing the protections in a potential trade involving ATL is actually a realistic value to offer. A GUARANTEED pick is always more valuable than a protected one.

So anyway on to a couple other items.

Davion. I think in hindsight we all agree that he hasn’t turned out what was hoped. He came out as the PG for a championship team and I feel that Monte tends to like mature players who are ready to contribute immediately (Keegan) for his draft picks rather than “potential” runner/jumper types that have to learn how to play fundamental basketball (which pretty much is the entire list of guys you wrote as is still being proven). I kinda also feel that there was a hope that after hitting so well with Hali (which still see as more of a miss by the other GM’s drafting ahead of Monte more than him taking a no brainer and flipping him into a franchise Center) that he could catch lightning in a bottle twice and hedge against moving Hali or Fox. It didn’t work out but that’s par for the course for more guys than not in the draft if you are realistic.

Barnes. I would not have resigned him. Even though I tried to get myself good with it at the time, I still hate it and will continue to u til he is off the roster. He no longer fits right with this team both in style and age and he should not have seen more than 10-12 million a year at most. And if he turned that down I would have said go try to get a better offer and waited for him to come back and do a 1+1 TO second year to free up the cap this next off season. I agree I would have put the spot up for grabs and let the guy who did best start or go a totally different direction with a defensive guy there (Edwards) to let the others be free to wreak havoc and just get him the lob stuff when needed. Nuff said we agree here.

Moving the ‘24 pick to dump Holmes. I think this had to happen. We needed to get off three more years of Holmes and while it’s not a huge amount, it’s enough to cause issues. Like not being able to re sign Monk kind of issues. It also removed a potential distraction and freed up a roster spot. And ultimately we have a kid in Colby Jones who is likely about the same level as anyone r we would have had to pay more money for longer to at 24. The money became useful for multiple purposes and some of those the just is still very much out (Sasha) but I feel good about. Some are no brainer (locking up Domas) and needed to happen for continuity and solidity of the team. Ultimately sometimes you have to make tough choices and you just move forward and hope that they were good ones.

Then there is all the incredible stuff he has done to turn a doormat into a darling. I’m not going to resist it since you already did. But it’s a LOT. And an incredibly fast turnaround when you consider where we were three or four years ago with little to no hope or path forward.

Overall I think that while Monte had his flaws and there are some things I’d personally like to see him do differently, at the end of the day there is a very good teaks. He is being paid millions of dollars as the GM of the Sacramento Kings and you, I and all the other fans here are not. And I will continue to have faith that he keeps this team relevant and builds to a contender with a shot at a chip in the near future.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#252 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:08 pm

OxAndFox wrote:On Monte:
Tyrese was a home run. Couldn't have asked for any better. Selected Tillman Sr, Ramsey, Martin Jr. Traded the only two that played in the NBA basically for cash and no one that ever played.

Then Davion was a bad pick. Almost everyone knew it at the time. There were some here that were going for Herb Jones, Trey Murphy, Sengun, etc.

More recently. The Hali/Sabonis trade hurt everyone in Sacramento. It has worked out well, but Hali is a golden boy and the Kings haven't had one of them. lol.

Keegan Murray's selection was excellent. Jaden Hardy was a really good selection...then traded him to Dallas for '24 2nd and '28 2nd.
The 2nd rounder the Kings got in the Hali deal, pick #38 in the 2023 Draft and the '24 Dallas 2nd from the Hardy deal got them Colby Jones.

Traded the other 2nd from the Hardy deal, Dal '28 2nd & Kings '30 2nd for Duarte.

The Holmes deal for OMax is still up in the air, but it did open up the space to sign Sabonis.

He has been pretty good. But only having Keegan/Davion/Colby on the roster that you have drafted while trading so many picks isn't great when the first rounders that you have traded haven't turned into valuable guys, like AS valuable guys. I still think Huerter was worth the price, but Light The Beam is right, Bogey is a similar player that he let go for nothing.

I gotta say this.

You guys have GOT to let go of the Hali trade and be realistic.

He brought back a FRANCHISE LEVEL CENTER. Who is a multi time all star, all NBA player that will continue to be well into his mid to late thirties barring catastrophic injury. He is also a great teammate and all around guy who the town loves.

Hali has turned into a real star and I always thought he had that potential. Look back at my posts from his rookie season. I had him as a potential of being like CP3 but bigger and therefore more effective for his team. But the basketball facts are that there is no world where he becomes what he has being stuck here in Sac with a (disgruntled and misused at the time) Fox who everyone also already knew had MVP level potential from the start, a selfish chucker in Buddy with a bad attitude who we didn’t have the organization or coaching to fix, and nobody to get the ball to inside. Rick Carlisle, Myles Turner and the plethora of young run and gun players on that Indiana team have made him become what he has. That’s a stone cold fact. He literally was dropped into THE ideal situation. And that was NOT ever going to be here. I love and still love the guy both as a player and as a person. I wish him the best and I hope that we will face off in the Finals some day soon. But that move had to happen and it was and will always be one of the most balanced and mutually beneficial trades the NBA HAS EVER SEEN.

Ultimately Hali was the ONLY value asset that Monte had to honor and get the team balanced. And he did. And look where we are now. Bitching about a winning team with a Center who is the league co-leader in triple doubles THIS SEASON with the two time MVP and reigning league champion.

I’m good with it and moving on. You all should too.it makes you sound like sour grapes, Luka vs Bagley all over again. Enjoy the fact we have a smart GM now who won’t do those dummy things and not Vlade.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#253 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:59 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:

I gotta say this.

He brought back a FRANCHISE LEVEL CENTER. Who is a multi time all star, all NBA player that will continue to be well into his mid to late thirties barring catastrophic injury. He is also a great teammate and all around guy who the town loves.

Hali has turned into a real star and I always thought he had that potential. Look back at my posts from his rookie season. I had him as a potential of being like CP3 but bigger and therefore more effective for his team. But the basketball facts are that there is no world where he becomes what he has being stuck here in Sac with a (disgruntled and misused at the time) Fox who everyone also already knew had MVP level potential from the start, a selfish chucker in Buddy with a bad attitude who we didn’t have the organization or coaching to fix, and nobody to get the ball to inside. Rick Carlisle, Myles Turner and the plethora of young run and gun players on that Indiana team have made him become what he has. That’s a stone cold fact. He literally was dropped into THE ideal situation. And that was NOT ever going to be here. I love and still love the guy both as a player and as a person. I wish him the best and I hope that we will face off in the Finals some day soon. But that move had to happen and it was and will always be one of the most balanced and mutually beneficial trades the NBA HAS EVER SEEN.

Ultimately Hali was the ONLY value asset that Monte had to honor and get the team balanced. And he did. And look where we are now. Bitching about a winning team with a Center who is the league co-leader in triple doubles THIS SEASON with the two time MVP and reigning league champion.

I’m good with it and moving on. You all should too.it makes you sound like sour grapes, Luka vs Bagley all over again. Enjoy the fact we have a smart GM now who won’t do those dummy things and not Vlade.

The Hali comment was about him being the darling of the NBA now. If he were doing the same thing in Sacramento I doubt he is considered that.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#254 » by OGSactownballer » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:09 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

I gotta say this.

The Hali comment was about him being the darling of the NBA now. If he were doing the same thing in Sacramento I doubt he is considered that.

The thing that nobody seems to want to recognize here though is just that.

He would have never had the opportunity to be that here one way or the other.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#255 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:47 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
I gotta say this.

The thing that nobody seems to want to recognize here though is just that.

He would have never had the opportunity to be that here one way or the other.

That depends. If you're saying alongside Fox then yeah absolutely.
If you mean without Fox he still wouldn't. I don't agree with that at all.

I'm working on the fact that the Kings were going to trade one of them, which was pretty clear and if Fox is out then you are putting the whole future into Hali's hands. What that looks like no one knows. I'm pretty sure the team wouldn't be near as good as it is now so I'm more than happy.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#256 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:13 am

Is this completely insane?
Fox's recent rough patch where he was clearly not happy with something was actually the FO trying to trade Barnes for Miles Bridges?
Kings were reported to be interested and then now they're not linked and all of a sudden Fox looks much happier on the court. I don't think anyone has reported on exactly what Fox's issues were, but there has been a couple of people say, we won't go into it in detail.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#257 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:23 am

OxAndFox wrote:Is this completely insane?
Fox's recent rough patch where he was clearly not happy with something was actually the FO trying to trade Barnes for Miles Bridges?
Kings were reported to be interested and then now they're not linked and all of a sudden Fox looks much happier on the court. I don't think anyone has reported on exactly what Fox's issues were, but there has been a couple of people say, we won't go into it in detail.

He’s had rough patches all his career.

Did something accompany this particular one? I don’t know, but he’s had them all his career (like all rookie ((not just rookie bad but lack of energy )) and 2022 seasons, or even you talking about his lack of form in games last year prior to crunch time), so there doesn’t have to be an ulterior reason.

There doesn’t need to be an excuse, and there isn’t an excuse that would cause 99% of players named to the all star to be a negative player for weeks on end. Even if by chance something accompanied this stretch, and it’s reported he didn’t like the leadership being called out after the Pelicans loss, you still couldn’t excuse a players game going into the tubes for so long like that and worry when the next time his head wouldn’t be right after something goes “wrong”, and it would still play into innate issues
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#258 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:19 am

BoogieTime wrote:

Did something accompany this particular one? I don’t know, but he’s had them all his career (like all rookie ((not just rookie bad but lack of energy )) and 2022 seasons, or even you talking about his lack of form in games last year prior to crunch time), so there doesn’t have to be an ulterior reason.

There doesn’t need to be an excuse, and there isn’t an excuse that would cause 99% of players named to the all star to be a negative player for weeks on end. Even if by chance something accompanied this stretch, and it’s reported he didn’t like the leadership being called out after the Pelicans loss, you still couldn’t excuse a players game going into the tubes for so long like that and worry when the next time his head wouldn’t be right after something goes “wrong”, and it would still play into innate issues

I agree to some extent, but this time was just weird. It also coincided with, seemingly, him taking more mid range shots instead of getting to the rim, which he was doing with ease earlier in the season.
Not suggesting your stance on the lack of form is wrong, could be exactly that, it just did seem different to me. I could be reading too much into it as well.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#259 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:58 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

I agree to some extent, but this time was just weird. It also coincided with, seemingly, him taking more mid range shots instead of getting to the rim, which he was doing with ease earlier in the season.
Not suggesting your stance on the lack of form is wrong, could be exactly that, it just did seem different to me. I could be reading too much into it as well.

Part of doing you job is working in adverse circumstances. Players have family members die, divorces etc, and it affects them visibly on the court most the time a lot more milder than Fox’s “slump”. I think it’s motor or the issue is tied to motor in that that’s why he is capable of being so sidetracked, but it would be as concerning if we had to worry about Fox going into the dumpers weeks on end because of something like trade rumors, where would that end?
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#260 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:32 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Part of doing you job is working in adverse circumstances. Players have family members die, divorces etc, and it affects them visibly on the court most the time a lot more milder than Fox’s “slump”. I think it’s motor or the issue is tied to motor in that that’s why he is capable of being so sidetracked, but it would be as concerning if we had to worry about Fox going into the dumpers weeks on end because of something like trade rumors, where would that end?

Players' lives don't end so it wouldn't. It does sound like you think other players have adverse circumstances, but Fox doesn't because it's Fox.

There was another person who put it out there that they were wondering if Fox was going for custody of his other child and that having an impact. Not suggesting that is the case, but being a personal matter it would make sense as to why nothing has come out.
I'm not buying this is Fox just having a slump. Probably about as much as your not going to buy it as anything other than motor.

Return to Sacramento Kings