BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#261 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:48 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
I agree to some extent, but this time was just weird. It also coincided with, seemingly, him taking more mid range shots instead of getting to the rim, which he was doing with ease earlier in the season.
Not suggesting your stance on the lack of form is wrong, could be exactly that, it just did seem different to me. I could be reading too much into it as well.

Part of doing you job is working in adverse circumstances. Players have family members die, divorces etc, and it affects them visibly on the court most the time a lot more milder than Fox’s “slump”. I think it’s motor or the issue is tied to motor in that that’s why he is capable of being so sidetracked, but it would be as concerning if we had to worry about Fox going into the dumpers weeks on end because of something like trade rumors, where would that end?

Players' lives don't end so it wouldn't. It does sound like you think other players have adverse circumstances, but Fox doesn't because it's Fox.

There was another person who put it out there that they were wondering if Fox was going for custody of his other child and that having an impact. Not suggesting that is the case, but being a personal matter it would make sense as to why nothing has come out.
I'm not buying this is Fox just having a slump. Probably about as much as your not going to buy it as anything other than motor.

I hope it ends. As players need to be professionals and do their jobs, so do those in the real world, and not just pack it in under abnormal life circumstances

I said other players have adverse circumstances all the time, and even worse than apparently Fox’s (death in the family/divorce) and it usually doesn’t mean going in the tank for several weeks
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,142

Post#262 » by OxAndFox » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:14 am

BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
Part of doing you job is working in adverse circumstances. Players have family members die, divorces etc, and it affects them visibly on the court most the time a lot more milder than Fox’s “slump”. I think it’s motor or the issue is tied to motor in that that’s why he is capable of being so sidetracked, but it would be as concerning if we had to worry about Fox going into the dumpers weeks on end because of something like trade rumors, where would that end?

Players' lives don't end so it wouldn't. It does sound like you think other players have adverse circumstances, but Fox doesn't because it's Fox.

There was another person who put it out there that they were wondering if Fox was going for custody of his other child and that having an impact. Not suggesting that is the case, but being a personal matter it would make sense as to why nothing has come out.
I'm not buying this is Fox just having a slump. Probably about as much as your not going to buy it as anything other than motor.

I hope it ends. As players need to be professionals and do their jobs, so do those in the real world, and not just pack it in under abnormal life circumstances

I said other players have adverse circumstances all the time, and even worse than apparently Fox’s (death in the family/divorce) and it usually doesn’t mean going in the tank for several weeks

That's what I'm saying though. It's been 6-7 weeks (he looked much better last game). It's not a short spell like we have seen previously. We don't even know what it's about. It could be that he is having the same issues as he sometimes has. But why has it been longer than normal? If it's serious why is he still with the team? It could be something else. It doesn't mean he should just suck it up if something is happening.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#263 » by BoogieTime » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:24 am

OxAndFox wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:

That's what I'm saying though. It's been 6-7 weeks (he looked much better last game). It's not a short spell like we have seen previously. We don't even know what it's about. It could be that he is having the same issues as he sometimes has. But why has it been longer than normal? If it's serious why is he still with the team? It could be something else. It doesn't mean he should just suck it up if something is happening.

It was all 2022 and rookie seasons (pre Domas), his contract IMO neutral at the time of Haliburtons deal. He pretty much looked the same way as he has recently. So the length isn’t something I haven’t seen before
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#264 » by OxAndFox » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:25 am

Was going to bring this up earlier. Don't forget this off season is the start when teams can trade their MLE as a TPE.
The MLE looks like being $12,951,000.
So if a team wants to get off salary there could be some picks or young players attached.

I think Monte will use it on a player, but it's interesting to see what teams' strategy becomes.
This off season is when it becomes harder for the tax teams to make trades.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#265 » by OGSactownballer » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:22 am

I posted on the Trade board but I want to ask our forum.

I am VERY interested in who will be available on the waiver market. The new rules are kicked I. Now and the usual suspects/big markets are locked out due to their tax apron statuses.

I see that potentially a better route and less disruptive to the team is to fill need through that rather than a trade for the sake of trading.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#266 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:33 am

Could the below be some that get bought out?

Doug McDermott - 3pt flame thrower off the bench. Is it needed though?
Delon Wright - Terrific BU defensive PG. Injury plagued.
Thad Young - Experienced vet that still has a little something left in the tank
Otto Porter Jr - Has been there in the POs and played a big role. Injury prone though.
Joe Harris - Another flame thrower. Is it needed?
Alex Burks - More likely to get traded obviously. Does Detroit reward him for being a good trooper? Possibility if a trade opened up time.
Monte Morris - Injury-plagued PG. Only played 3 games so far.
Dario Saric - Not likely, but will GS prioritize the younger guys soon? This would be a great get.

What will Portland do? Are they going to roll into next year with potentially a $170m+ payroll?
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#267 » by TPA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:07 pm

OxAndFox wrote:Could the below be some that get bought out?

Otto Porter Jr - Has been there in the POs and played a big role. Injury prone though.
Alex Burks - More likely to get traded obviously. Does Detroit reward him for being a good trooper? Possibility if a trade opened up time.
Dario Saric - Not likely, but will GS prioritize the younger guys soon? This would be a great get.

What will Portland do? Are they going to roll into next year with potentially a $170m+ payroll?

Joe Harris - Another flame thrower. Is it needed? You don't want this guy. No team should. He's washed and plays zero defense. He's simply a salary match for Detroit at this point.
Alex Burks - More likely to get traded obviously. Does Detroit reward him for being a good trooper? Possibility if a trade opened up time. Likely available for trade. Unlikely to be cut. Does Sacramento need a guy like him with Huerter, Murray, Barnes, and Monk on the roster?
Monte Morris - Injury-plagued PG. Only played 3 games so far. I think Detroit keeps him ROS if he's not traded.
Unlikely to be cut. Possibly resigned by Detroit next season if not moved.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#268 » by OxAndFox » Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:37 pm

TPA wrote:
OxAndFox wrote:Could the below be some that get bought out?

Joe Harris - Another flame thrower. Is it needed? You don't want this guy. No team should. He's washed and plays zero defense. He's simply a salary match for Detroit at this point.
Alex Burks - More likely to get traded obviously. Does Detroit reward him for being a good trooper? Possibility if a trade opened up time. Likely available for trade. Unlikely to be cut. Does Sacramento need a guy like him with Huerter, Murray, Barnes, and Monk on the roster?
Monte Morris - Injury-plagued PG. Only played 3 games so far. I think Detroit keeps him ROS if he's not traded.
Unlikely to be cut. Possibly resigned by Detroit next season if not moved.

Thanks for the info.
Harris' defense is what would probably preclude him yes.
Burks would make sense (trade more likely) if there is a Huerter/Barnes for an upgrade at the 4 trade.
Morris wouldn't have made sense IMO anyway, but good to know he might be back on the Pistons next season.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#269 » by OxAndFox » Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:18 pm

Bobby Marks had a very good analysis of what the Kings are facing at the deadline.

LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#270 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:11 am

Discussed on trade board, some raps fans think its enough

Huerter + Davion + Duarte + 5 2nds for Schroder + Brown

I know its tough to trade Huerter. He's been fantastic the last 10 games. But he is a streaky player. What I like about this is it still allows us to pair Barnes + Mcgee/Edwards and a 1st to go upgrade PF if we want to. But even in the short term

Fox - Brown - Murray - Barnes - Sabonis
Schroder - Monk - Lyles

Allows us to preserve Fox and not have him get burnt out. Brown can easily shift to playing some 3. Defense should be improved.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#271 » by codydaze » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:07 pm

My top role player deadline targets:
1. Tyus Jones
2. Matisse Thybulle
3. Wendell Carter Jr
4. Dennis Schroeder
5. Dorian Finney-Smith
6. PJ Washington

My top "I guess" big money deadline targets:
1. Jerami Grant
2. Kyle Kuzma
3. Dejounte Murray
4. Andrew Wiggins
5. Zach Lavine

For the record, I don't really want anyone in that second group (except maybe Grant) but that's how I'd rank them in terms of happy to get.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#272 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:13 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:Discussed on trade board, some raps fans think its enough

I know its tough to trade Huerter. He's been fantastic the last 10 games. But he is a streaky player. What I like about this is it still allows us to pair Barnes + Mcgee/Edwards and a 1st to go upgrade PF if we want to. But even in the short term

Schroder - Monk - Lyles

Allows us to preserve Fox and not have him get burnt out. Brown can easily shift to playing some 3. Defense should be improved.

Drop out Huerter and Brown and three or four of the seconds (depending on whether it’s ours or the POR one) and that’s the trade I’d like to see.

Always loved Schroeder. He is capable, hustles and plays good PG defense. He’s a reliable scorer but doesn’t need a lot of shots or plays for him to get his contribution. He’s a vet and knows how to win and is steadier and more consistent than either Davion or Duarte.

I’m not liking the way Brown has been playing. I get the “step up in the playoffs” part. But if we are moving assets I’d sooner have a guy that can keep up a good level in his role consistently and allow the stars to not get worn down by playoff time. And he’s several years older than Huerter at a relatively equality as player value and costs more. Overall definitely not of interest to me.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#273 » by codydaze » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:28 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:

Schroder - Monk - Lyles

Drop out Huerter and Brown and three or four of the seconds (depending on whether it’s ours or the POR one) and that’s the trade I’d like to see.

Always loved Schroeder. He is capable, hustles and plays good PG defense. He’s a reliable scorer but doesn’t need a lot of shots or plays for him to get his contribution. He’s a vet and knows how to win and is steadier and more consistent than either Davion or Duarte.

I’m not liking the way Brown has been playing. I get the “step up in the playoffs” part. But if we are moving assets I’d sooner have a guy that can keep up a good level in his role consistently and allow the stars to not get worn down by playoff time. And he’s several years older than Huerter at a relatively equality as player value and costs more. Overall definitely not of interest to me.

I'd be okay with Schroeder but if we could get Tyus at a similar price, I'd go with him. Shoots the three at a better clip and is a much more steady floor general as the backup point sharing the floor with Monk. I worry Schroeder and Monk on the floor at the same time could get chaotic.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#274 » by LightTheBeam » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:51 pm

codydaze wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

Schroder - Monk - Lyles

I'd be okay with Schroeder but if we could get Tyus at a similar price, I'd go with him. Shoots the three at a better clip and is a much more steady floor general as the backup point sharing the floor with Monk. I worry Schroeder and Monk on the floor at the same time could get chaotic.

Could it be some controlled chaos?

Didn't do the research to back this up, but eye test tells me that Schroder is a difference maker on defense and I never got that feeling from Tyus. Think you could run some Fox - Schroder - Monk for stretches. Don't think you could do that with Tyus.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#275 » by codydaze » Sat Feb 3, 2024 8:07 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:

Didn't do the research to back this up, but eye test tells me that Schroder is a difference maker on defense and I never got that feeling from Tyus. Think you could run some Fox - Schroder - Monk for stretches. Don't think you could do that with Tyus.

EPM like Dennis Schroeder as a much better defender but Tyus has the advantage in DBPM, steals and deflections (95 total vs 77 through 48 games for both). They're about equal in DWS too but Washington as a team has one of the worst defenses so you have to take that into consideration. I'd say they're about comparable defensively, maybe an edge to Schroeder but not by too significant a margin.

I think you can run Tyus-Fox-Monk lineups too, I think Tyus is the better off ball player as well. He's shooting 46% from the corner three and is 42% from the corner on his career.

And to be clear, I'd be cool with either one, it sounds like Washington wants a higher price for Tyus so Schroeder might be the more realistic option but I've always been a big Tyus fan, personally.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#276 » by OGSactownballer » Sat Feb 3, 2024 11:21 pm

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:

EPM like Dennis Schroeder as a much better defender but Tyus has the advantage in DBPM, steals and deflections (95 total vs 77 through 48 games for both). They're about equal in DWS too but Washington as a team has one of the worst defenses so you have to take that into consideration. I'd say they're about comparable defensively, maybe an edge to Schroeder but not by too significant a margin.

I think you can run Tyus-Fox-Monk lineups too, I think Tyus is the better off ball player as well. He's shooting 46% from the corner three and is 42% from the corner on his career.

And to be clear, I'd be cool with either one, it sounds like Washington wants a higher price for Tyus so Schroeder might be the more realistic option but I've always been a big Tyus fan, personally.

I agree. I think that either would work for the role and that neither one belongs as a full time starting PG but that both shine and accept their role as a key guy off the bench. I also feel like it’s very realistic that as well as Monk has done as a secondary ball handler that he needs more free reign as the primary scorer (the same role as Fox) for the bench and to be that guy who is set up more than doing the setting up. It makes him far harder to defend and far more effective.

I also agree that I’d rather pay the price in players that are superfluous to our roster than in picks that (yes even seconds) will have greater and greater value going forward because of the new CBA structure. I would want to keep those assets for bigger or future needs rather than a smallish right now move when we aren’t truly contending for a championship this year.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#277 » by LightTheBeam » Sun Feb 4, 2024 12:19 am

OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I agree. I think that either would work for the role and that neither one belongs as a full time starting PG but that both shine and accept their role as a key guy off the bench. I also feel like it’s very realistic that as well as Monk has done as a secondary ball handler that he needs more free reign as the primary scorer (the same role as Fox) for the bench and to be that guy who is set up more than doing the setting up. It makes him far harder to defend and far more effective.

I also agree that I’d rather pay the price in players that are superfluous to our roster than in picks that (yes even seconds) will have greater and greater value going forward because of the new CBA structure. I would want to keep those assets for bigger or future needs rather than a smallish right now move when we aren’t truly contending for a championship this year.

I hear this. I've kinda grown to just think of 2nds as worthless. It's unfair because year after year we are seeing 5 guys get developed in the 2nd, especially early 2nds.

But after selling off Trent, Tillman, Kenyon Martin Jr, Hardy, while keeping Queta, Justin James, Woodard, Ramsey. It's either that we are clueless evaluating 2nd round talent, or we just lack any type of player development.

So for me, I don't think we are too far from being a 2nd round team. I agree we probably aren't a contender, but if we can use Duarte/Davion/2nds to add another long term bench piece, sign me the hell up. Doing it to add 39 year old PJ Tucker, not so much.

I also lean towards Schroder because we get a 2nd year with him. I can't see us paying what it would take to keep Tyus on a 3/4 year deal. Too much money invested into the back court long term. Realistically we are going to have to draft someone there to play around Fox/Monk/Huerter long term, but Schroder could be a 1.5 year solution.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#278 » by BoogieTime » Sun Feb 4, 2024 1:36 am

I'm excited, I think we will do something come the next several days. at least something.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#279 » by BoogieTime » Sun Feb 4, 2024 1:39 am

and also yes, I still consider there a good chance Malik isn't a King if we don't get below the tax. Just not a good 2024 free agent pool, and teams that could use him. we could go down the list of free agents like him last summer, but Austin Reaves would've commanded 21 million from the Spurs reportedly last year if he wasnt restricted (with cap moving).

I would just be a matter of sitting on your hands on how he plays the rest of the season IMO. If the recent stretch was a hiccup or not
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#280 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Feb 4, 2024 2:45 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
codydaze wrote:

I hear this. I've kinda grown to just think of 2nds as worthless. It's unfair because year after year we are seeing 5 guys get developed in the 2nd, especially early 2nds.

But after selling off Trent, Tillman, Kenyon Martin Jr, Hardy, while keeping Queta, Justin James, Woodard, Ramsey. It's either that we are clueless evaluating 2nd round talent, or we just lack any type of player development.

So for me, I don't think we are too far from being a 2nd round team. I agree we probably aren't a contender, but if we can use Duarte/Davion/2nds to add another long term bench piece, sign me the hell up. Doing it to add 39 year old PJ Tucker, not so much.

I also lean towards Schroder because we get a 2nd year with him. I can't see us paying what it would take to keep Tyus on a 3/4 year deal. Too much money invested into the back court long term. Realistically we are going to have to draft someone there to play around Fox/Monk/Huerter long term, but Schroder could be a 1.5 year solution.

The extra and affordable time on Schroeders contract is really nice and stays very moveable too for the next season and the summer.

Return to Sacramento Kings