Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#301 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:41 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
I mean 3 2nds on Royce. Or 3 2nds to line Viveks pocket? I really have grown to be desensitized to the thought of trading 2nds as we don't use them, and the ones we do we don't spend any time developing.

But I agree. And when we traded Holmes/Prosper for nothing, we lost another tradable salary and one of our only assets.

I know everyone was happy we locked Sabonis up early, but I always felt he wasn't leaving if we were competitive, and we should have in fact used the last bit of flexibility we had to get better, instead of what we did. But I honestly think long term Vivek just refuses to spend so even if they knew Sabonis was coming back they would have still handled things the same.

And last note, I think without the Duarte trade, we coulda still kept those guys. Harrison would have had to take less, but not sure who we were bidding against there anyways.

I still think the Vivek only wants to sell 2nds for cash is overblown. In the last four drafts we've brought in 5 second round picks:
- Colby Jones
- Jalen Slawson
- Neemias Queta
- Jahmius Ramsey
- Robert Woodard

And have sold/moved 4 second round picks:
- Jordan Walsh
- Jaden Hardy
- Xavier Tillman
- KJ Martin

The big difference being that second group has looked like much more promising NBA players. I think Colby will be a rotation guy within the next couple years and I wish we gave Queta some more time to develop but I think he is what he is at this point. We just have whiffed on the guys we did bring in.

The big 3 that stick out to me are

Hardy, Tillman, Gary Trent Jr. You just don't trade these early-mid picks in the 30s.

I'm thrilled they actually traded up to get Colby. Wish they would give him minutes, its clear a player of his type could help us. My guess is they did that because they sold the 1st round pick for pocket savings (so you can add that in to the list of sold picks).

Lets see. IF Davion isn't traded today and is still getting minutes over Colby/Keon the 2nd half then ya.. I've been told Davion is getting minutes as a showcase, that's fair (although I don't think its helping) but if hes not moved time to try something else.

For sure, those guys definitely stick out but my point is that if we hit on a couple of those seconds then the "Vivek only wants to sell 2nds for cash" narrative doesn't get brought up as much.

And selling off the 1st to dump Holmes was definitely a choice I could go either way on. On one hand it's nice to have Domas locked up but on the other hand I do also think he was staying either way so I can see both sides. I definitely feel like Colby is a guy we would have targeted at that pick anyway.

I really hope we do something too, I feel like Monte can't be watching this team and feel like this is good enough to push for the playoffs.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#302 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:49 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
I mean 3 2nds on Royce. Or 3 2nds to line Viveks pocket? I really have grown to be desensitized to the thought of trading 2nds as we don't use them, and the ones we do we don't spend any time developing.

But I agree. And when we traded Holmes/Prosper for nothing, we lost another tradable salary and one of our only assets.

I know everyone was happy we locked Sabonis up early, but I always felt he wasn't leaving if we were competitive, and we should have in fact used the last bit of flexibility we had to get better, instead of what we did. But I honestly think long term Vivek just refuses to spend so even if they knew Sabonis was coming back they would have still handled things the same.

And last note, I think without the Duarte trade, we coulda still kept those guys. Harrison would have had to take less, but not sure who we were bidding against there anyways.

I still think the Vivek only wants to sell 2nds for cash is overblown. In the last four drafts we've brought in 5 second round picks:
- Colby Jones
- Jalen Slawson
- Neemias Queta
- Jahmius Ramsey
- Robert Woodard

- Jordan Walsh
- Jaden Hardy
- Xavier Tillman
- KJ Martin

The big difference being that second group has looked like much more promising NBA players. I think Colby will be a rotation guy within the next couple years and I wish we gave Queta some more time to develop but I think he is what he is at this point. We just have whiffed on the guys we did bring in.

Hardy, Tillman, Gary Trent Jr. You just don't trade these early-mid picks in the 30s.

I'm thrilled they actually traded up to get Colby. Wish they would give him minutes, its clear a player of his type could help us. My guess is they did that because they sold the 1st round pick for pocket savings (so you can add that in to the list of sold picks).

Lets see. IF Davion isn't traded today and is still getting minutes over Colby/Keon the 2nd half then ya.. I've been told Davion is getting minutes as a showcase, that's fair (although I don't think its helping) but if hes not moved time to try something else.

So addressing both of you guys.

I have no problem standing pat and developing this still mostly young roster. I said that before and my tune has not changed.

But being honest, the moves for Royce and Tillman - both guys that would have helped us markedly at positions of need - going for just a couple or three seconds? That’s just plain stupid not to jump on those deals. We can outright buy out or cut a guy or two who isn’t playing to fit them in. So why we didn’t get in those deals I have zero clue and I can believe that it’s a money thing.

Now if it’s Mike Brown saying these guys need to just “figure it out”? Then it’s time to start the next coaching search because you cannot change guys into something they are not - long and big and athletic.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#303 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:51 pm

Now the Pistons bought out Killian Hayes and I’d love to see them take a shot on him for the rest of the season.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#304 » by donkeylips » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:52 pm

robin lopez traded to the kings, expected to be waived
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#305 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:53 pm

Read on Twitter

Monte can say he did something? Pointless.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#306 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:58 pm

OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
- Colby Jones
- Jalen Slawson
- Neemias Queta
- Jahmius Ramsey
- Robert Woodard

- Jordan Walsh
- Jaden Hardy
- Xavier Tillman
- KJ Martin

I have no problem standing pat and developing this still mostly young roster. I said that before and my tune has not changed.

But being honest, the moves for Royce and Tillman - both guys that would have helped us markedly at positions of need - going for just a couple or three seconds? That’s just plain stupid not to jump on those deals. We can outright buy out or cut a guy or two who isn’t playing to fit them in. So why we didn’t get in those deals I have zero clue and I can believe that it’s a money thing.

Now if it’s Mike Brown saying these guys need to just “figure it out”? Then it’s time to start the next coaching search because you cannot change guys into something they are not - long and big and athletic.

100% to all of this.

And honestly I wasn't the biggest Mike Brown fan before we hired him. I've grown to enjoy him as a person, but he's still not my favorite coach. Us making the playoffs last year had a whole lot more to do with Sabonis/Fox surrounded by shooters than it did Brown.

IMO Jordy would be a better coach. Was telling someone yesterday I feel like we are in a coach bud situation. When Bud and the Bucks won a title he bought himself 2 years. Brown has bought himself 2 years being apart of breaking the Kings playoff drought, but I've got several issues with him.

1. Rotations. They make no sense at all. Keon playing well, na lets go back to Mitchell. Len playing well, lets use Mcgee. Team having success with Lyles as the backup center, haha ya right.. Revolving door of JTA, Duarte, Sasha. Kessler played great in Indiana, more minutes? No thanks.

2. His defensive scheme is terrible. He constantly has the team help on lead play makers leading to easy swing passes for wide open 3s. There is a reason that we allow teams to shoot extremely well from 3. I refuse to believe our defense is worse than the likes of Detroit, Washington, or G league memphis players.

3. Offensively. Runs pick and roll for Monk. Runs DHO for Sabonis. Asks Fox to take his man 1v1 or 1v2 every play.

I'm just not really impressed with him. His offensive style is gimmicky. And when you play against a team in a 7 game series, its easy to expose. We are mad Sabonis didn't shoot last year vs the Warriors, why did we keep starting him in the high post? Why did we keep running DHO when Warriors defenders were sticking to their man and Huerter couldnt buy a bucket. Long term hes not the guy.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#307 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:00 pm

codydaze wrote:
Read on Twitter

Monte can say he did something? Pointless.

Owner makes some cash. Hate to say it lol. Pathetic deadline
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#308 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:01 pm

we are not a serious organization. Ownership is happy to keep filling the seats and watch the franchise's value appreciate while never needing to break the bank paying luxury tax. This is the plight of small market teams throughout the NBA. They get good enough to be first round exits then they act as farm systems when it's obvious they can't keep their talent and their run is over which is what we'll be doing in 2-3 years.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#309 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:12 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:we are not a serious organization. Ownership is happy to keep filling the seats and watch the franchise's value appreciate while never needing to break the bank paying luxury tax. This is the plight of small market teams throughout the NBA. They get good enough to be first round exits then they act as farm systems when it's obvious they can't keep their talent and their run is over which is what we'll be doing in 2-3 years.

Preach! We going no where until Vivek is gone.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#310 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:19 pm

I still think the blame is misplaced on Vivek. It's easy to scapegoat him because when he first bought the team he definitely was too hands on and made some bad moves.

I think Monte has done a pretty good job so far as GM but we need to him accountable, this is the team he's built. I HIGHLY doubt Vivek is telling him, "hey, don't make any moves to get better, we're fine." I think it would be much more likely for him to campaign for a bigger, short sighted move to win now if anything. Lavine would have felt like a Vivek move. Standing pat is on Monte.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#311 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:29 pm

codydaze wrote:I still think the blame is misplaced on Vivek. It's easy to scapegoat him because when he first bought the team he definitely was too hands on and made some bad moves.

I think Monte has done a pretty good job so far as GM but we need to him accountable, this is the team he's built. I HIGHLY doubt Vivek is telling him, "hey, don't make any moves to get better, we're fine." I think it would be much more likely for him to campaign for a bigger, short sighted move to win now if anything. Lavine would have felt like a Vivek move. Standing pat is on Monte.

Both deserve blame. Difference is that Monte will always be loved for at least putting a competent team together. After years of trash, he's at least mid-level.

But make no mistake. Owner has final say on what gets spent. Maybe not picks or players, but total salary is definitely Viveks call.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#312 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:34 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:I still think the blame is misplaced on Vivek. It's easy to scapegoat him because when he first bought the team he definitely was too hands on and made some bad moves.

Both deserve blame. Difference is that Monte will always be loved for at least putting a competent team together. After years of trash, he's at least mid-level.

But make no mistake. Owner has final say on what gets spent. Maybe not picks or players, but total salary is definitely Viveks call.

So what potential moves do you think Vivek nixed or prevented Monte from making? We're 16m away from the tax so none of these margin move guys would have got us there.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#313 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:39 pm

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

So what potential moves do you think Vivek nixed or prevented Monte from making? We're 16m away from the tax so none of these margin move guys would have got us there.

Idk man, i really don't want to sound like a broken record. But I can't imagine the Holmes/Pick for nothing deal is something a GM does without the owner in mind. Or selling the 2nds. Again I have no problem trading 2nds, trade them all, but when you trade 50% for cash considerations, well thats a problem. Last deadline our big move was Edwards + Cash Considerations. This deadline our big move is robin lopez + cash considerations.

When Cash considerations become a running meme of a franchise, that's not the GM, that is in fact 100% the owner.

Oh and lets not forget. One of the big reasons we were rumored out of the running for Siakam is we didn't want to pay him a max. Maybe thats Monte, or maybe thats a mandate that I won't pay what it takes to keep that team together. IDK, but I'm not going to give benefit of the doubt after 10 years of red flags.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#314 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:57 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

Idk man, i really don't want to sound like a broken record. But I can't imagine the Holmes/Pick for nothing deal is something a GM does without the owner in mind. Or selling the 2nds. Again I have no problem trading 2nds, trade them all, but when you trade 50% for cash considerations, well thats a problem. Last deadline our big move was Edwards + Cash Considerations. This deadline our big move is robin lopez + cash considerations.

When Cash considerations become a running meme of a franchise, that's not the GM, that is in fact 100% the owner.

I still think extending Domas was a priority so the Holmes/pick deal makes sense in that context, it couldn't have happened without it. We also spent the money on HB (which is an overpay) so it's not like we didn't spend the money. The penny pinching move would have been to keep the first since the salary is significantly lower.

I think the biggest issue with this deadline is Monte absolutely handicapped himself with regards to trade flexibility. Tying up the first round pick in the Huerter deal limits what we can send out in terms of draft capital and we don't have any expiring contracts that are attractive trade pieces. The only expirings are Monk, who we likely wouldn't move, and then Len/McGee who make such a small amount that you can't really do much significant with. For the types of deals where teams are looking to get off of guys contracts, those teams want expirings and we just don't have them.

We should have absolutely made some moves to help our playoff chances because if we end up losing in the play in and that pick doesn't convey, we'll be in the same spot next year which makes it all the more disappointing.

Edit: saw the Siakam edition after responding. I'm 100% okay with that too cause I wouldn't want to be paying him the max either. He's a good player but I don't love the fit here, would much rather wait for the next star to become available.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#315 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:10 pm

Again, I'm disappointed we didn't make any moves. We reallyyyy need to hope we make the playoffs and that pick conveys or we're going to be in the same spot. If the pick conveys, I think next year we push the chips in and go big.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#316 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:33 pm

Keep in mind we do have an open roster spot too. I think chances are slim we use it other than maybe converting Keon to a standard deal and finding another 2 way guy but I'd really like to target Danuel House with it.
LightTheBeam
RealGM

Post#317 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:48 pm

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:

I still think extending Domas was a priority so the Holmes/pick deal makes sense in that context, it couldn't have happened without it. We also spent the money on HB (which is an overpay) so it's not like we didn't spend the money. The penny pinching move would have been to keep the first since the salary is significantly lower.

I think the biggest issue with this deadline is Monte absolutely handicapped himself with regards to trade flexibility. Tying up the first round pick in the Huerter deal limits what we can send out in terms of draft capital and we don't have any expiring contracts that are attractive trade pieces. The only expirings are Monk, who we likely wouldn't move, and then Len/McGee who make such a small amount that you can't really do much significant with. For the types of deals where teams are looking to get off of guys contracts, those teams want expirings and we just don't have them.

We should have absolutely made some moves to help our playoff chances because if we end up losing in the play in and that pick doesn't convey, we'll be in the same spot next year which makes it all the more disappointing.

Edit: saw the Siakam edition after responding. I'm 100% okay with that too cause I wouldn't want to be paying him the max either. He's a good player but I don't love the fit here, would much rather wait for the next star to become available.

I respect your POV. I just don't see it that way. Maybe I should be more optimistic or stop watching. But had we kept Holmes/Pick, resigned Barnes, operated as an above the cap team, we could have then went and thrown MLE money at Grant, Schroder, Thybulle, Niang, DDV, Vincent, . I'm not saying any of those guys take our money, but the options were there. And those kind of moves are what teams like the Lakers continue to do year over year, and put themselves in a position where next year they have Reaves, DLO, Rui, Vincent, Vando as all matchable salary. My entire point is I think this team has no interest in even adding that kind of salary.

This is my problem with the team. Huerter trade is a great point. I said it the second we made that deal, okay give them a lotto protected 2023 pick, hell even top 4 protected. Monte preached flexibility but then tied up 3 years of picks for Huerter (after we let Bogdan walk for free). Then the Sabonis deal, how many guys get renegotiated + extensions, its such a rare rare sight in basketball. But it all lends back to Sac just not having the courage to bet on themselves. The few years they could have built this team up, we didn't.

Now compare our roster to Indiana. The Pathetic thing is Indiana wasn't even bad for long, they just managed the team so much more efficiently.

Pacers have 8 legit rotation guys who are 24 and younger. They had multiple extra picks to offer up to get Siakam.
They bought low on guys like Toppin, Nesmith, Jalen Smith and then develop them. We buy low on guys like Duarte, a 26 year old bust. Sasha a 28 year old rookie. Kessler Edwards...
Kings on the other hand have 1 under 24 rotation guy, Keegan Murray. Maybe Colby becomes one. We don't have a single extra pick, hell I can't even remember the last time we had a future first from another team that wasn't a negative swap. And we don't have our own pick.

Sure we can blame Monte. But the team isn't in this state because Monte. WE are who we are, a limited upside treadmill team. Not really that young, not loaded with picks. This stems back to Viveks playoff mandate. And not giving the team proper time to actually build. And then pushing all in on a flawed roster because if Monte doesn't he's gone asap.

Both deserve blame, but the team issues start at the top. Anyways, I'm being way more negative that I would like. Reality is the team didn't make a move. Maybe they can explore buy out, maybe they get **** together, but my guess is this is a play in bounce.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#318 » by codydaze » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:00 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

I respect your POV. I just don't see it that way. Maybe I should be more optimistic or stop watching. But had we kept Holmes/Pick, resigned Barnes, operated as an above the cap team, we could have then went and thrown MLE money at Grant, Schroder, Thybulle, Niang, DDV, Vincent, . I'm not saying any of those guys take our money, but the options were there. And those kind of moves are what teams like the Lakers continue to do year over year, and put themselves in a position where next year they have Reaves, DLO, Rui, Vincent, Vando as all matchable salary. My entire point is I think this team has no interest in even adding that kind of salary.

This is my problem with the team. Huerter trade is a great point. I said it the second we made that deal, okay give them a lotto protected 2023 pick, hell even top 4 protected. Monte preached flexibility but then tied up 3 years of picks for Huerter (after we let Bogdan walk for free). Then the Sabonis deal, how many guys get renegotiated + extensions, its such a rare rare sight in basketball. But it all lends back to Sac just not having the courage to bet on themselves. The few years they could have built this team up, we didn't.

Now compare our roster to Indiana. The Pathetic thing is Indiana wasn't even bad for long, they just managed the team so much more efficiently.

Pacers have 8 legit rotation guys who are 24 and younger. They had multiple extra picks to offer up to get Siakam.
They bought low on guys like Toppin, Nesmith, Jalen Smith and then develop them. We buy low on guys like Duarte, a 26 year old bust. Sasha a 28 year old rookie. Kessler Edwards...
Kings on the other hand have 1 under 24 rotation guy, Keegan Murray. Maybe Colby becomes one. We don't have a single extra pick, hell I can't even remember the last time we had a future first from another team that wasn't a negative swap. And we don't have our own pick.

Sure we can blame Monte. But the team isn't in this state because Monte. WE are who we are, a limited upside treadmill team. Not really that young, not loaded with picks. This stems back to Viveks playoff mandate. And not giving the team proper time to actually build. And then pushing all in on a flawed roster because if Monte doesn't he's gone asap.

Both deserve blame, but the team issues start at the top. Anyways, I'm being way more negative that I would like. Reality is the team didn't make a move. Maybe they can explore buy out, maybe they get **** together, but my guess is this is a play in bounce.

I understand your points but Jordan Clarkson and Myles Turner also just did renegotiate and extend deals and it's expected Lauri does the same this summer.

Harrison Barnes contract was the real killer. He's just not an attractive trade piece and he's locked up 2 more years. Like you said, as much as Monte preaches flexibility, he really limited it with some of his recent moves.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#319 » by BoogieTime » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:10 pm

I know why they didn’t want to add salary past this year - to hopefully get below cap to sign Monk, but don’t know why Barnes/Mitchell are still here. Might be a bad sign we will have to attach value this summer pre free agency
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant

Post#320 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:52 pm

LightTheBeam wrote:
OGSactownballer wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:

100% to all of this.

And honestly I wasn't the biggest Mike Brown fan before we hired him. I've grown to enjoy him as a person, but he's still not my favorite coach. Us making the playoffs last year had a whole lot more to do with Sabonis/Fox surrounded by shooters than it did Brown.

IMO Jordy would be a better coach. Was telling someone yesterday I feel like we are in a coach bud situation. When Bud and the Bucks won a title he bought himself 2 years. Brown has bought himself 2 years being apart of breaking the Kings playoff drought, but I've got several issues with him.

1. Rotations. They make no sense at all. Keon playing well, na lets go back to Mitchell. Len playing well, lets use Mcgee. Team having success with Lyles as the backup center, haha ya right.. Revolving door of JTA, Duarte, Sasha. Kessler played great in Indiana, more minutes? No thanks.

2. His defensive scheme is terrible. He constantly has the team help on lead play makers leading to easy swing passes for wide open 3s. There is a reason that we allow teams to shoot extremely well from 3. I refuse to believe our defense is worse than the likes of Detroit, Washington, or G league memphis players.

3. Offensively. Runs pick and roll for Monk. Runs DHO for Sabonis. Asks Fox to take his man 1v1 or 1v2 every play.

I'm just not really impressed with him. His offensive style is gimmicky. And when you play against a team in a 7 game series, its easy to expose. We are mad Sabonis didn't shoot last year vs the Warriors, why did we keep starting him in the high post? Why did we keep running DHO when Warriors defenders were sticking to their man and Huerter couldnt buy a bucket. Long term hes not the guy.

There is a good reason why far more established big market winning franchises with superstar players fired him or let him walk.

I see this right now as a lot like Mark Jackson before Kerr or Doug Collins before Phil Jackson. The guy to start the teaching process but who isn’t good enough to win the big cup. That will be the next guy. And I agree, he may already be here.

Return to Sacramento Kings