Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Re: 2023-2024 Trade Thread 

Post#321 » by OGSactownballer » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:55 pm

codydaze wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:I still think the blame is misplaced on Vivek. It's easy to scapegoat him because when he first bought the team he definitely was too hands on and made some bad moves.

I think Monte has done a pretty good job so far as GM but we need to him accountable, this is the team he's built. I HIGHLY doubt Vivek is telling him, "hey, don't make any moves to get better, we're fine." I think it would be much more likely for him to campaign for a bigger, short sighted move to win now if anything. Lavine would have felt like a Vivek move. Standing pat is on Monte.

Both deserve blame. Difference is that Monte will always be loved for at least putting a competent team together. After years of trash, he's at least mid-level.

But make no mistake. Owner has final say on what gets spent. Maybe not picks or players, but total salary is definitely Viveks call.

So what potential moves do you think Vivek nixed or prevented Monte from making? We're 16m away from the tax so none of these margin move guys would have got us there.

While I forget the exact structure of payout for the below the tax teams, I believe that there is some kind of multiplier so the further below we are the more kickback we get.
LightTheBeam
RealGM
And1: 10,574

Post#322 » by LightTheBeam » Thu Feb 8, 2024 11:23 pm

codydaze wrote:
I understand your points but Jordan Clarkson and Myles Turner also just did renegotiate and extend deals and it's expected Lauri does the same this summer.

Harrison Barnes contract was the real killer. He's just not an attractive trade piece and he's locked up 2 more years. Like you said, as much as Monte preaches flexibility, he really limited it with some of his recent moves.

I'd argue those are 3 much different situations. Indiana was so incredibly smart, they had a ton of extra cap space and decided instead of signing trash players lets give Myles a huge raise 1 year, and then get him on a bargain contract the next 2. He's on the books next year for sub 20 million.

Clarkson is in the same boat. making 24 million this year in what is clearly a rebuild year, next 2 years hes making 28 million combined.

Those 2 situations feel so different than giving Sabonis an extra 10 million this year, then still paying him AAV of 44 million the next 4.

But I agree. Barnes deal was terrible as well. Take a look at the old off-season thread. I was begging for us to chase anyone else. When we resigned Barnes my reaction was "we must be trading him with Huerter for an upgrade".

My irritation with Vivek doesn't mean I'm happy with Monte. He's been overpraised as well. Guess we should just be happy we aren't (consistently) the laughing stock of the league. and If Sabonis/Fox/Murray show up we can beat anyone. I don't run the team so nothing I can do but be disappointed and hope Monte has a bigger plan.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#323 » by BoogieTime » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:42 am

LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:
I understand your points but Jordan Clarkson and Myles Turner also just did renegotiate and extend deals and it's expected Lauri does the same this summer.

Harrison Barnes contract was the real killer. He's just not an attractive trade piece and he's locked up 2 more years. Like you said, as much as Monte preaches flexibility, he really limited it with some of his recent moves.

I'd argue those are 3 much different situations. Indiana was so incredibly smart, they had a ton of extra cap space and decided instead of signing trash players lets give Myles a huge raise 1 year, and then get him on a bargain contract the next 2. He's on the books next year for sub 20 million.

Clarkson is in the same boat. making 24 million this year in what is clearly a rebuild year, next 2 years hes making 28 million combined.

Those 2 situations feel so different than giving Sabonis an extra 10 million this year, then still paying him AAV of 44 million the next 4.

But I agree. Barnes deal was terrible as well. Take a look at the old off-season thread. I was begging for us to chase anyone else. When we resigned Barnes my reaction was "we must be trading him with Huerter for an upgrade".

My irritation with Vivek doesn't mean I'm happy with Monte. He's been overpraised as well. Guess we should just be happy we aren't (consistently) the laughing stock of the league. and If Sabonis/Fox/Murray show up we can beat anyone. I don't run the team so nothing I can do but be disappointed and hope Monte has a bigger plan.

There is nothing bad at all about paying the 7th in mvp consideration 10 more mil to pay him 44 mil, or not letting him see free agency

We should know what the team looks like without him. And with how much help he is currently getting the flight risk potentially

And though as much as I complain that certain things could’ve been better (Fox having value in 2022 and being able to trade him instead of Hali), and Vivek not meddling with his mandates, I won’t complain about watching a treadmill team

The team has been bad for too long. If Fox doesn’t totally deteriorate and Keegan begins to take form, and we get below tax to keep Monk, I can watch at minimum lower level playoff/playin ball for the next half decade. I’m not much on contention or bust. Team may actually be better with cohesion/supporting cast.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#324 » by BoogieTime » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:15 am

BoogieTime wrote:
LightTheBeam wrote:
codydaze wrote:

There is nothing bad at all about paying the 7th in mvp consideration 10 more mil to pay him 44 mil, or not letting him see free agency

We should know what the team looks like without him. And with how much help he is currently getting the flight risk potentially

And though as much as I complain that certain things could’ve been better (Fox having value in 2022 and being able to trade him instead of Hali), and Vivek not meddling with his mandates, I won’t complain about watching a treadmill team

The team has been bad for too long. If Fox doesn’t totally deteriorate and Keegan begins to take form, and we get below tax to keep Monk, I can watch at minimum lower level playoff/playin ball for the next half decade. I’m not much on contention or bust. Team may actually be better with cohesion/supporting cast.

Orlando throws a regular max at Sabonis, who would be the biggest FA on the market, at him to play with Banchero/Wagner than Fox/Keegan at this moment

Any prudent FO wouldn’t play games with that
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#325 » by BoogieTime » Sat Feb 10, 2024 2:42 am

Sam Amick apparently had a snippet in the Athletic detailing we were serious on OG/Pascal, but not on Kuzma. Pascal wasn’t going to stay and Raps wanted Keegan for OG. Not serious on Kuzma

Though I would have concerns about Pascal’s game, it aligns with my belief that what also made them attractive were they were expiring, and we were only looking at shedding salary to get below cap for Monk
FarBeyondDriven
Rookie
And1: 841

Post#326 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:52 am

BoogieTime wrote:Sam Amick apparently had a snippet in the Athletic detailing we were serious on OG/Pascal, but not on Kuzma. Pascal wasn’t going to stay and Raps wanted Keegan for OG. Not serious on Kuzma

Though I would have concerns about Pascal’s game, it aligns with my belief that what also made them attractive were they were expiring, and we were only looking at shedding salary to get below cap for Monk

so we could have had OG for Murray? Ugh. He would have had the same effect on us he's had with the Knicks. I bet they probably wanted a 1st as well which would be too rich for my blood given how flawed the roster still would have been. But I do think OG would have given me hope that we could win a playoff series maybe two. Damn.
OGSactownballer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,002

Post#327 » by OGSactownballer » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:48 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Sam Amick apparently had a snippet in the Athletic detailing we were serious on OG/Pascal, but not on Kuzma. Pascal wasn’t going to stay and Raps wanted Keegan for OG. Not serious on Kuzma

so we could have had OG for Murray? Ugh. He would have had the same effect on us he's had with the Knicks. I bet they probably wanted a 1st as well which would be too rich for my blood given how flawed the roster still would have been. But I do think OG would have given me hope that we could win a playoff series maybe two. Damn.

No aftually he would not have.

Thibs coaches a totally different way than Mike Brown. OG fits that hard ass, slow it down, half court defense defense defense system like a glove. Here he would have looked inefficient and lacking offensively and his defensive abilities would have gone to waste because there aren’t five other guys playing defense just as hard. Oh and he’s hurt again - which I’ve said many times I want guys who actually play not sit on IR.

Keegan has two way potential as an all star. OG is what you see - a great role player when he plays but never going to be an all star, maybe all defense but he just doesn’t have that level of offensive production.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#328 » by NYG » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:19 pm

I know there's still a lot that needs to play out, but overall... what does Sacramento plan to do this off-season?
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,536

Post#329 » by codydaze » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:57 am

NYG wrote:I know there's still a lot that needs to play out, but overall... what does Sacramento plan to do this off-season?

Ideally, we try to consolidate Huerter/Barnes into someone that can start at the other forward spot with Keegan and promote Keon Ellis to the starting 2 guard.

Then try to retain Monk at the max we can offer him. If he decides to get a bigger contract somewhere else then look to replace him with another playmaker off the bench and find some other defensive role players for the bench.

If things go as planned and we make the playoffs then we will have the full arsenal of picks available to move at next year's deadline to make a big splash. If Keegan continues to develop into a high level second/third scoring option then you look to find a good fit with him, Fox and Sabonis. If he doesn't show much progression then maybe you consider moving him with picks for a legit third star.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#330 » by BoogieTime » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:41 pm

codydaze wrote:
NYG wrote:I know there's still a lot that needs to play out, but overall... what does Sacramento plan to do this off-season?

Ideally, we try to consolidate Huerter/Barnes into someone that can start at the other forward spot with Keegan and promote Keon Ellis to the starting 2 guard.

Then try to retain Monk at the max we can offer him. If he decides to get a bigger contract somewhere else then look to replace him with another playmaker off the bench and find some other defensive role players for the bench.

If things go as planned and we make the playoffs then we will have the full arsenal of picks available to move at next year's deadline to make a big splash. If Keegan continues to develop into a high level second/third scoring option then you look to find a good fit with him, Fox and Sabonis. If he doesn't show much progression then maybe you consider moving him with picks for a legit third star.

Consolidate Huerter/Barnes? Are you thinking they hold much value?

The moving Keegan question is interesting, but the trick usually is you have to move them before their trajectory is settled for the other team to give good value. Hope Monte took all situations into account
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#331 » by codydaze » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:49 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:

The moving Keegan question is interesting, but the trick usually is you have to move them before their trajectory is settled for the other team to give good value. Hope Monte took all situations into account

I'm not saying consolidate them into a star or anything but two starting level players on manageable contracts should be able to net us another starting level player. They're 34 million in combined salaries so it would probably need to be a three team deal but that would be the ideal thing to happen.

And Keegan next year even if he doesn't progress straight to a bonafide third star and second/third scoring option would still be an elite role player on a rookie deal. Packaging him with picks would for sure return the type of player we'd be looking for, whether it's a Mikal Bridges or Lauri Markkanen type.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#332 » by BoogieTime » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:15 pm

codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:

I'm not saying consolidate them into a star or anything but two starting level players on manageable contracts should be able to net us another starting level player. They're 34 million in combined salaries so it would probably need to be a three team deal but that would be the ideal thing to happen.

And Keegan next year even if he doesn't progress straight to a bonafide third star and second/third scoring option would still be an elite role player on a rookie deal. Packaging him with picks would for sure return the type of player we'd be looking for, whether it's a Mikal Bridges or Lauri Markkanen type.

Starters is a generous term. If their starting they need to be replaced
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#333 » by codydaze » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:27 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
codydaze wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:

Starters is a generous term. If their starting they need to be replaced

Eh, obviously we want them to be better but they're producing at typical 4th/5th starter level. HB is declining for sure and will be headed to a bench role sooner than later and he might have more value in that role anyway.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,448

Post#334 » by KF10 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:14 pm

I expect Keon to take advantage in Huerter’s absence.

This will make the calculus very interesting.

Imagine Keon becoming the new starting 2 guard next to Fox.

What to do with Huerter? If the Kings are able to bring back Monk, Huerter possibly be the odd man out.

If Monk leaves, Huerter probably stays with the team.

Return to Sacramento Kings