ImageImageImageImageImage

2024 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 934

2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:14 am

I was confused about how the pick was potentially going to convey and didn't realize we would have our first round pick this draft. I'm one of the very few that actually likes this draft class so I'm now very excited again after feeling apoplectic after our loss. We'll have the 14th pick in the first round and the 49th pick in the second round. We should be able to get a starter in the first whether we stay at 14 or trade back into the 20s and a potential rotational bench piece at 49.

George is my target at 14. If we trade back into the 20s it'd be Ighodaro.
typedrat
Ballboy
And1: 18

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2 » by typedrat » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:26 pm

We would not have kept the pick if we had won -- especially as someone who isn't as high on this draft class as you are, I'd frankly rather the pick have been top-10 protected instead. In general, I think that fully lottery-protected picks are not a very good idea for a team that is in our position, since it's unlikely that the marginal benefit of a pick at the very tail end of the lottery will outweigh the benefit of having more tradable picks to make win-now moves by trading for proven players.

(Just to note, it's almost literally a coin-flip if we get thirteenth or fourteenth at the end of the season, it's decided by random drawing at the start of the draft process.)

What's your rationale for those targets? They're currently projected to go at the very end of the first round or the beginning of the second, so we'd be overpicking pretty heavily if we took them with either a pick in the mid teens or early twenties. Personally, I find Tristan da Silva and Tyler Smith (keep in mind that his evaluation on that site is not particularly meaningful because it's applying a derating factor designed for NCAA stats to his G-League performances, so an article like this is the better option to read an evaluation of him as a prospect) to be among the more interesting players who are projected to go around our range of the draft, with the option of trading down for DaRon Holmes II or, playing the longer game, an extremely promising but unpolished young prospect like Ulrich Chomche as well.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#3 » by codydaze » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 pm

First round names I like:
- Tristan Da Silva
- Ryan Dunn
- Tidjane Salaun
- DaRon Holmes

Second round names I like:
- Dillon Jones
- Oso Ighodaro
- Jaylen Wells
- Payton Sandfort
- Jonathan Mogbo

Da Silva and Salaun are two guys that would be available at 13/14 the rest could still be there later in the first so I would be looking at possible trade down scenarios, Knicks for example have the 24 and 25. If you can trade down for those two picks you can pick up both Ryan Dunn and DaRon Holmes, for example. Both of those guys could really help this team in my opinion.
OxAndFox
Analyst
And1: 2,148

Post#4 » by OxAndFox » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:58 pm

Unless someone drops that is a must take (Cody Williams/Clingan) I would like to see Yves Missi selected. Loads of potential on the defensive side of the ball and is a freak catching lobs.
Really though his shot blocking and athleticism is something the Kings really need.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by FarBeyondDriven » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:20 pm

looks like we have the 13th pick in the first round via tie-breakers. No reason we can't get a starter level player at that pick. Maybe they might need 1-2 years to develop though. I feel like although we badly need a 4, with losing Monk, a guy like Knecht would make perfect sense to replace him. An upgrade tbh. But I don't think he'll still be on the board. I have a feeling he's going top 10
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Post#6 » by BoogieTime » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:22 am

highly doubt pick will be used
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 527

Post#7 » by Silver Man » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:27 pm

BoogieTime wrote:highly doubt pick will be used

Yep gotta think it'll be packaged for a veteran wing
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#8 » by OxAndFox » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:24 pm

Silver Man wrote:

How many times have we said that as Kings fans. :lol:
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:20 am

okay, if that's the case, what would the 13th pick get us? How would that factor into the salary cap. We're already going to lose Monk likely. What veteran we can get under the cap with can be a) had for the 13th pick b) better than the player we could take ourselves with the pick. Keep in mind most of these potential trades would likely involve a third team

Here's some names I came up with

Isaac - on last year of his contract making $17 million and fills a major need. ORL doesn't have enough minutes for everyone

Okongwu - makes $14 million and fills a major need. ATL might want to rebuild so this is a possibility

Gafford - makes $14 million and fills a need. Lively might be ready to assume his minutes and DAL might want a different need filled

Robinson - makes $14 million and fills a need. Maybe Hartenstein becomes their priority and they still have Sims as backup

Timelord - makes $13 million and fills a need. They can't play Ayton and him together
Silver Man
Starter
And1: 527

Post#10 » by Silver Man » Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:09 pm

OxAndFox wrote:
Silver Man wrote:

How many times have we said that as Kings fans. :lol:

Forreal, at some point it'll be talked into existence.
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#11 » by OxAndFox » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:43 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:

okay, if that's the case, what would the 13th pick get us? How would that factor into the salary cap. We're already going to lose Monk likely. What veteran we can get under the cap with can be a) had for the 13th pick b) better than the player we could take ourselves with the pick. Keep in mind most of these potential trades would likely involve a third team

Here's some names I came up with

Isaac - on last year of his contract making $17 million and fills a major need. ORL doesn't have enough minutes for everyone

Okongwu - makes $14 million and fills a major need. ATL might want to rebuild so this is a possibility

Gafford - makes $14 million and fills a need. Lively might be ready to assume his minutes and DAL might want a different need filled

Robinson - makes $14 million and fills a need. Maybe Hartenstein becomes their priority and they still have Sims as backup

Timelord - makes $13 million and fills a need. They can't play Ayton and him together

Very good list.
I would put Isaac and WCJ in there together, which one shakes loose or are the Magic committed to both.
Timelord was another that I have been thinking of that would be good, but between he and Isaac would they be able to play enough?
The others I'm not sure on that they can play next to Sabonis. Behind, sure, but IMO it's a must to be able to play next to him.
I would put Portis on the list too.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,783

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Wed May 1, 2024 5:47 am

I have the weird premonition this pick is going to jump
OxAndFox
Analyst

Post#13 » by OxAndFox » Wed May 1, 2024 9:23 pm

BoogieTime wrote:I have the weird premonition this pick is going to jump

You just ruined it. :lol:

I was hopeful it jumps so it has more value for trade. But I'm in both camps of keep the pick and select the player with the most potential at whatever number, trade down for more picks this year and/or following years, trade out completely, or trade for a player. I trust Monte.
madskillz8
Senior
And1: 667

Post#14 » by madskillz8 » Thu May 2, 2024 3:36 am

BoogieTime wrote:I have the weird premonition this pick is going to jump

Couple of days ago I clicked "sim lottery" once at Tankathon.com, and Kings got the 1st pick (0.8% probability)
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,539

Post#15 » by codydaze » Thu May 2, 2024 3:38 am

Let's triple reverse jinx it so we jump to top 4...
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sat May 4, 2024 6:34 am

Let's discuss our options. Targets are just the guys that will feasibly be available with our #13 pick that won't be reaches and mid-2nd round guys feasibly available with our mid-round pick

Point Guard

We have our long term answer with all-NBA caliber Fox. Mitchell is only signed through next season so we need depth. It's a really deep PG class and bpa might just be a PG at #13 but since we have Fox I think I'd wait to take a PG until the 2nd (if at all)

1st Round Targets

McCain
Carrington
Sheppard
Dillingham
Carter

2nd Round Targets

Spencer
Nunez
Sears
Mitchell

Shooting Guard

Huerter is a net negative imo. We're likely losing Monk and our depth guys (Jones, Duarte) are JAGs. This is a pretty big need for us imo. If bpa is SG I could see us using it to upgrade over Huerter and push him into the 6th man spot to replace Monk. Knecht is likely gone but George and Watkins would make me really happy. Since it's the deepest position in this class the more prudent thing would be to wait until the 2nd though

1st Round Targets

Knecht
George
Walter
Watkins

2nd Round Targets

Edwards
Bridges
Scheierman
Shannon Jr.
Durisic
Karaban
Larsson
Reeves

Small Forward

We've got a nice long-term solution with Murray. Maybe he's a legit #3 or higher but he's at least an above average starter and net positive. That said, we have JAGS for depth and you can never have enough talented wings so I believe SF should be on the table with our first pick if it's bpa (doubtful) but it's not as big of a need as others. I seriously doubt we take a 3 no matter where we choose or how many picks we have

1st Round Targets

Williams
Buzelis
da Silva

2nd Round Targets

Flowers
Dadiet
Jones

Power Forward

Barnes is a JAG and he's really not a PF but he's been playing that at times due to necessity. He's signed to a reasonable contract and he's a proven commodity that teams might be willing to trade for to play the 3/4 for them (like he does for us). He should be moved. Whether he is or not, we need a legit 4. If Barnes isn't moved a legit 4 would then move Barnes to his more appropriate backup role (on a championship caliber team) so imho PF is a major need. I wouldn't use the #13 pick on any of them but if we trade back that's the position I'd take with a late first since it's a deep class in first round PF talent. If we don't take a 4 in the first there's not much available in the 2nd where we'll pick though.

1st Round Targets

Filipowski
Salaun
Smith
Perrin
Klintman
Holmes
Ighodaro
Chomche

2nd Round Targets

Hall
Ndongo

Center

We've got a nice long-term solution with all-NBA caliber Sabonis. He's not a defender nor shot-blocker and this is one of our biggest flaws as a team. He's still a net positive but we have to get someone that can be a shot blocker next to him in two big lineups. We fall apart when he's out of the game too so just getting a backup to hold the fort while he gets a breather is paramount. Whether this person is a 4 (like Bona who is 6'9" but has a 7'4" wingspan but can block shots or Filipowsi who is a very similar player to Sabonis actually) or a 5 (allowing Sabonis to play more of a 4) this is our biggest need imo. Clingan is the only center I'd take at #13. Trading back would bring Bona and Ware into reasonable range.

1st Round Targets

Clingan
Missi
Ware
Bona
Almansa

2nd Round Targets

Dante

Summation

I think our needs are many and this is a deep draft and we're cap-strapped so if I could trade back (Celtics?) and pick up a late first and a second rounder (giving us three total picks) I'd do that. I could easily see three guys taken in the top 50 that would improve us significantly and allow us to weather the storm of losing Monk. I fear if we sit still at #13 we'll lose out on the bpa at our biggest needs and be either forced to reach to fill a need or end up taking bpa at a position we have less of a need for. We're in a tricky spot. Either way, at minimum we should get our 4th and 6th best player from this draft if we stay.

Return to Sacramento Kings