General Manager
And1: 4,164

Re: Jabari Smith Jr. - Auburn 

Post#981 » by JMAC3 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:50 pm

clyde21 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
there is a reason why he gets ignored by everyone here I should do that again

Feel free to chime in boss. Who in 2-3 years do you expect Jabari to be as good as or better than?

I already said that Jabari is the Rockets best prospect moving forward other than MAYBE Alpy but that's a wait and see.

I am saying who around the league currently can he be better than at his position? I already get where you are at on the Rockets guys, that is fine. I just don't think he has a very high ceiling, but I am apparently not accounting for him being 20 yrs old.

So in 2 years does he end up better than Pascal? Paolo? Keegan? Mobley? Aaron Gordon? Kuminga? Jerami Grant? Scottie Barnes?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#982 » by JMAC3 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:55 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Dude--he is 20 years old. You can't just look at impact data and draw conclusions about 20 year olds...

Yeah, Cameron Johnson would be a poor outcome, but that's a terrible comparison.

1) Jabari Smith Jr moves much more fluid than Cameron Johnson. He is much more spry, quicker, better lateral movement, and a more explosive leaper/jumper. Really their physical profiles aren't comparable in any way, shape, or form.

This alone allows Jabari Smith Jr to reach higher levels of impact due to his defensive versatility.

2) Rebounding

Jabari Smith Jr is proving to be a Top Non-Center rebounder in the NBA. He is doing it on both ends of the court [Offensive and Defensive], while Cameron Johnson's career high numbers [4.3 OREB%/14.0 DREB%] are far below current Jabari Smith Jr.

3) Age

Hello? Cameron Johnson was 23-24 during his rookie season. Jabari Smith Jr is 20-21 during his 2nd season. Jabari Smith Jr will be 23-24 during his 5th season :o

Okay so you hate the Cam Johnson comp, who had 29 pts on 7/11 from 3 last night.

Who do you expect him to be as good as in 2-3 years? Who is his long-term similar impact guy in the NBA?

Give me some names of guys he will be better than.

Someone who Jabari Smith Jr could be as good as?

To start, I don't put expectations on players. I assess prospects the same way I assess young NBA players, by asking what they do well, what they do poorly, where they can realistically improve and how they can further impact a game in the NBA.

I'll give you an example: I thought Jaden McDaniels had some ridiculously high-end outcomes after his 2nd season [Think Kawhi-Leonard lite]. I never expected Jaden to get to that level, but I could see ways where he blossomed like a flower and reached every 99% outcome. Since then, I don't think those high-end outcomes are possible given his growth/improvement curve. As for my expectations for him as a player? I don't know, I would like to think a Mikal Bridges-type is in the wheel house, but I don't expect him to get to that level but I also wouldn't be surprised if in 2024-2025 Jaden McDaniels was given a larger offensive role and all of the metrics lined up with Mikal Bridges from 2022 [That was his real breakout year, DPOY2, ect].

So, circling back to Jabari Smith Jr, what I am doing in pointing out his Rebounding is pointing to a data point. That data point says "Wow, this player is really freaking good at this important basketball trait, and the trait specifically goes against what I saw as his skill-set when he entered the NBA". That's good, right? Like, a player who projects to do a lot of + impact things on a court does something else impactful that you didn't even think he would. That makes me change how I feel about a player moving forward, because they are doing positive things on a court I didn't previously project or assess.

This isn't me trying to defend Jabari Smith Jr or compare him to Paolo Banchero. It is me simply looking at a prospect and seeing him do more than I thought he would, which in turn allows me to change my assessment of him as a player. I have no qualms or issues changing my assessment on a player as they spend time in the NBA as they add more skills or show a lack of another skill holding them back. I don't need to latch onto a prospect and play the game of "Look at me, I am so smart!" or tell other people "I told you Player X would suck, IDIOT!".

To answer your question in multiple answers.

Higher-end outcome for pure impact and similar role as Jabari Smith Jr: Modern-Day Shawn Marion

A good offensive player who is more of a play finisher than play initiator. Exceptional defender who can guard multiple positions, fill in at the 5-spot for stretches, defend the best wings in the NBA and help of the offensive/defensive glass.

Marion had a 7-year Prime as an Ironman, missing just 12 games in those 7 years, posting 4.3 BPM, .180 WS/48 and had multiple uber-efficient scoring seasons [Two seasons > +100 TS+] and was a Top 15-ish player for a couple years [Top 15 in MVP twice].

Medium-end outcome for pure impact and similar role as Jabari Smith Jr: Rashard Lewis

Versatile big who pops offensively and is underrated defensively. Switchable, excellent player in high-level defensive schemes and can play small-ball 5. Good offensive player who can get hot and win a playoff game with his shot. Utilizes his spacing and shooting to attack off the closeout, High-level starter.

Low-end outcome for pure impact and similar role as Jabari Smith Jr: Clifford Robinson

Stretch Big who flirts with making All-Defensive teams and/or makes a couple. Very good starter, squeaks in as an All-star in a potential weaker season, weaker DPOY candidate. Offensively, he is a key cog in the machine but not a huge needle mover but can play multiple positions and is extremely portable in terms of fit [5-out, can be the big man down low against smaller line-ups, ect].

Feels like this is a pre-draft evaluation of a player. I am not even asking about who he plays exactly like. I can look at player comps for that. I am saying right now, Jabari is a mediocre impact guy. Who in the league at his position is he better then in 2 years?

So in 2 years does he end up better player than Pascal? Paolo? Keegan? Mobley? Aaron Gordon? Kuminga? Jerami Grant? Scottie Barnes? Any of these guys?

I might take Jalen Johnson, Trey Murphy and Sochan over him.
Big Board
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#983 » by clyde21 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:57 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Feel free to chime in boss. Who in 2-3 years do you expect Jabari to be as good as or better than?

I already said that Jabari is the Rockets best prospect moving forward other than MAYBE Alpy but that's a wait and see.

I am saying who around the league currently can he be better than at his position? I already get where you are at on the Rockets guys, that is fine. I just don't think he has a very high ceiling, but I am apparently not accounting for him being 20 yrs old.

So in 2 years does he end up better than Pascal? Paolo? Keegan? Mobley? Aaron Gordon? Kuminga? Jerami Grant? Scottie Barnes?

yes, he'll be better than most guys at his position. pretty straightforward stuff.

just like how you think Amen will be better than most guys at his position.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#984 » by JMAC3 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:01 pm

clyde21 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

yes, he'll be better than more guys at his position. pretty straightforward stuff.

huh? you legit avoided the question haha but anyways I will let you off the hook.
Big Board
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#985 » by K_chile22 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 11:33 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Okay so you hate the Cam Johnson comp, who had 29 pts on 7/11 from 3 last night.

Who do you expect him to be as good as in 2-3 years? Who is his long-term similar impact guy in the NBA?

To start, I don't put expectations on players. I assess prospects the same way I assess young NBA players, by asking what they do well, what they do poorly, where they can realistically improve and how they can further impact a game in the NBA.

I'll give you an example: I thought Jaden McDaniels had some ridiculously high-end outcomes after his 2nd season [Think Kawhi-Leonard lite]. I never expected Jaden to get to that level, but I could see ways where he blossomed like a flower and reached every 99% outcome. Since then, I don't think those high-end outcomes are possible given his growth/improvement curve. As for my expectations for him as a player? I don't know, I would like to think a Mikal Bridges-type is in the wheel house, but I don't expect him to get to that level but I also wouldn't be surprised if in 2024-2025 Jaden McDaniels was given a larger offensive role and all of the metrics lined up with Mikal Bridges from 2022 [That was his real breakout year, DPOY2, ect].

So, circling back to Jabari Smith Jr, what I am doing in pointing out his Rebounding is pointing to a data point. That data point says "Wow, this player is really freaking good at this important basketball trait, and the trait specifically goes against what I saw as his skill-set when he entered the NBA". That's good, right? Like, a player who projects to do a lot of + impact things on a court does something else impactful that you didn't even think he would. That makes me change how I feel about a player moving forward, because they are doing positive things on a court I didn't previously project or assess.

This isn't me trying to defend Jabari Smith Jr or compare him to Paolo Banchero. It is me simply looking at a prospect and seeing him do more than I thought he would, which in turn allows me to change my assessment of him as a player. I have no qualms or issues changing my assessment on a player as they spend time in the NBA as they add more skills or show a lack of another skill holding them back. I don't need to latch onto a prospect and play the game of "Look at me, I am so smart!" or tell other people "I told you Player X would suck, IDIOT!".

Higher-end outcome for pure impact and similar role as Jabari Smith Jr: Modern-Day Shawn Marion

A good offensive player who is more of a play finisher than play initiator. Exceptional defender who can guard multiple positions, fill in at the 5-spot for stretches, defend the best wings in the NBA and help of the offensive/defensive glass.

Marion had a 7-year Prime as an Ironman, missing just 12 games in those 7 years, posting 4.3 BPM, .180 WS/48 and had multiple uber-efficient scoring seasons [Two seasons > +100 TS+] and was a Top 15-ish player for a couple years [Top 15 in MVP twice].

Medium-end outcome for pure impact and similar role as Jabari Smith Jr: Rashard Lewis

Versatile big who pops offensively and is underrated defensively. Switchable, excellent player in high-level defensive schemes and can play small-ball 5. Good offensive player who can get hot and win a playoff game with his shot. Utilizes his spacing and shooting to attack off the closeout, High-level starter.

Low-end outcome for pure impact and similar role as Jabari Smith Jr: Clifford Robinson

Stretch Big who flirts with making All-Defensive teams and/or makes a couple. Very good starter, squeaks in as an All-star in a potential weaker season, weaker DPOY candidate. Offensively, he is a key cog in the machine but not a huge needle mover but can play multiple positions and is extremely portable in terms of fit [5-out, can be the big man down low against smaller line-ups, ect].

Feels like this is a pre-draft evaluation of a player. I am not even asking about who he plays exactly like. I can look at player comps for that. I am saying right now, Jabari is a mediocre impact guy. Who in the league at his position is he better then in 2 years?

So in 2 years does he end up better player than Pascal? Paolo? Keegan? Mobley? Aaron Gordon? Kuminga? Jerami Grant? Scottie Barnes? Any of these guys?

I might take Jalen Johnson, Trey Murphy and Sochan over him.

In two years Bari will be a year younger than Murray is right now. He won't be hitting his peak until like 5 years from now and at that point I'm confident he will be significantly better than Pascal, Gordon, Kuminga and Keegan
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,199

Post#986 » by clyde21 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:14 am

JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

yes, he'll be better than more guys at his position. pretty straightforward stuff.

huh? you legit avoided the question haha but anyways I will let you off the hook.

it's a stupid **** question, you listed a bunch of players that have nothing to do with Bari, half don't even play the same position nor are the same archetype, and asked me I think he'll be better than them.

Back on ignore u go dog.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,894

Post#987 » by Colbinii » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:21 am

JMAC3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Huh? None of this is pre-draft. I didn't do any pre-draft work for 2022.

I never said he played like these players. Read again. I said those are the tiers he will be in impact wise.

Top Tier Outcome: Weaker MVP Candidate, All-NBA Caliber and DPOY candidate.

Medium Tier: All-Star level, All-Defense Level

Low-Tier: Good Starter, All-Defense Level

That is how I see his career playing out, in one of those three tiers.

Understand now?

I'm not going to say he will be X or better than Player Y. I am going to enjoy watching him for the next decade :wink:
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#988 » by JMAC3 » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:30 am

clyde21 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

it's a stupid **** question, you listed a bunch of players that have nothing to do with Bari, half don't even play the same position nor are the same archetype, and asked me I think he'll be better than them.

Back on ignore u go dog.

I listed a bunch of guys that play the 4. But anyways, instead of answering the question and risking being wrong and having a real take you instead tried to change subject.

It’s cool man, I will let you say he is a “valuable player” so when he turns out mediocre you can still hide behind however you want to define valuable that day of the week.
Big Board
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#989 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

Last 10 games.. Rockets 10-0

Jabari 29.1 mins 13.3 pts 59.1 TS% 7.4 boards 1.3 apg
Amen 27.8 mins 15.4 pts 65.7 TS% 8.8 rpg 2.6 apg
Big Board
K_chile22
RealGM
And1: 7,935

Post#990 » by K_chile22 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Last 10 games.. Rockets 10-0

Both have been great, correct
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,446

Post#991 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

Amen brother, preach preach.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#992 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

Jabari is at 59.1% TS% and 54.4% eFG% on 19.1 USG% and +7.7 +/- per game.
Amen is at 65.7% TS% and 63.0 eFG% on 19.9 USG% and +10.5 +/- per game.

It's clear that Amen needed a 4-out offense around him to be successful, and that wasn't possible with Sengun as the major offensive focal-point. But now that he has it, he is showing what he is capable of.

The question moving forward is how real are these 10 games? They have played a lot of bad teams (OKC without SGA, POR x2, WSH x2, UTA, CHI, SAS) but early returns on the Jabari at 5 is really promising for opening up the court for all the other talented players on the team. That's the difference between having a high-usage big in Sengun who operates in the post and Jabari who spaces the floor. It's the same as if they were both playing with someone like Sabonis or Gobert or really any other dominant center--Amen needs to have 4 shooters next to him to be successful.

This isn't a knock on Amen, it just means that he isn't as plug-and-play as a floor-spacer and the team will need to be built accordingly to allow proper rotations with Amen always with 4 shooters.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#993 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:

It's clear that Amen needed a 4-out offense around him to be successful, and that wasn't possible with Sengun as the major offensive focal-point. But now that he has it, he is showing what he is capable of.

The question moving forward is how real are these 10 games? They have played a lot of bad teams (OKC without SGA, POR x2, WSH x2, UTA, CHI, SAS) but early returns on the Jabari at 5 is really promising for opening up the court for all the other talented players on the team. That's the difference between having a high-usage big in Sengun who operates in the post and Jabari who spaces the floor. It's the same as if they were both playing with someone like Sabonis or Gobert or really any other dominant center--Amen needs to have 4 shooters next to him to be successful.

This isn't a knock on Amen, it just means that he isn't as plug-and-play as a floor-spacer and the team will need to be built accordingly to allow proper rotations with Amen always with 4 shooters.

Yes for now Amen needs more spacing. The fact he is figuring out to score 25 points in real life NBA games without a reliable jump shot is really impressive to me. If he ever reaches Westbrook levels of shooting he is going to be soooo good.
Big Board
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#994 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Yes for now Amen needs more spacing. The fact he is figuring out to score 25 points in real life NBA games without a reliable jump shot is really impressive to me. If he ever reaches Westbrook levels of shooting he is going to be soooo good.

Westbrook? Amen isn't remotely close to Westbrook at the same age.

Westbrook was an 81% FT Shooter out the gate while Amen is at 67%.

Westbrook was a 27% 3P Shooter out the gate while Amen is at 15%.

Westbrook was assisted on just 51% of his 3P makes, Amen is at 88%.

This was 20 year-old Westbrook vs 21 year-old Amen.

Please compare Amen to a comparable shooter at the same age, not a player like Westbrook who has far more developed as an on-ball and off-ball shooter and at a younger age.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Big J
General Manager

Post#995 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:23 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Please compare Amen to a comparable shooter at the same age, not a player like Westbrook who has far more developed as an on-ball and off-ball shooter and at a younger age.

Jalen Suggs.
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#996 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:40 pm

Big J wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:

Jalen Suggs.

The 34% 3P shooter and > 75% on FT in college?

Nah.

I think something like Andre Iguodala is a nice comp. Amen is stronger seems to use his size better, which is crazy to think about because Iggy was incredibly lengthy. Amen is a much better rebounder and shot blocker than Iggy which bodes well for his scalability in line-ups if his shooting doesn't get to a respectable level.

Iguodala was an incredible player, dynamic offensively and disruptive defensively. I think Amen could potentially fill a similar role as Iggy but be even better.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Big J
General Manager

Post#997 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Big J wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Jalen Suggs.

Nah.

I think something like Andre Iguodala is a nice comp. Amen is stronger seems to use his size better, which is crazy to think about because Iggy was incredibly lengthy. Amen is a much better rebounder and shot blocker than Iggy which bodes well for his scalability in line-ups if his shooting doesn't get to a respectable level.

Iguodala was an incredible player, dynamic offensively and disruptive defensively. I think Amen could potentially fill a similar role as Iggy but be even better.

A better defending Iggy is an absolute monster. Like best defender in the league if Wemby didn’t exist.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#998 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

I said if he ever reaches Westbrook levels. Didn't realize that career 30% was some high bar to set for Amen.

Westbrook shot 27% and 22% from three his first 2 years in the league.
Big Board
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#999 » by Colbinii » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

Big J wrote:
Colbinii wrote:
Big J wrote:
Jalen Suggs.

Nah.

A better defending Iggy is an absolute monster. Like best defender in the league if Wemby didn’t exist.

Yes, and in a situation where his impact is more realized as he is with Jabari/Green/Eason/Brooks with a good defensive coach. It's like if 24 year-old Iggy was on Golden State instead of 31 year-old Iggy.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Big J
General Manager

Post#1000 » by Big J » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Big J wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Nah.

Yes, and in a situation where his impact is more realized as he is with Jabari/Green/Eason/Brooks with a good defensive coach. It's like if 24 year-old Iggy was on Golden State instead of 31 year-old Iggy.

If I'm Houston I'm offloading Sengun. He needs the ball too much to be effective, and doesn't fit the defensive identity of this team. He's like GS David Lee.

Return to NBA Draft