Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,979

Re: Matas Buzelis - GLI 

Post#121 » by BigGargamel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:11 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
clyde21 wrote:no one is really shooting well in this GLI team - Holland himself is shooting 25% from 3, Johnson is at 30%, Almansa 15%, etc

I don't know how Matas being a bad shooter is explained by Holland being a bad shooter. Both guys suck at shooting, I don't understand the connection.

Not saying Buzelis is any good but I think he's saying the Ignite is just setting everyone up to fail. Basically everyone is struggling. I hope no other top prospects choose this route in the future. It's not doing anyone any good.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,583

Post#122 » by MemphisX » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:17 am

18-year-olds shooting NBA 3s are going to be low %. Not sure why this is some sort of mystery.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,302

Post#123 » by babyjax13 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:36 am

MemphisX wrote:18-year-olds shooting NBA 3s are going to be low %. Not sure why this is some sort of mystery.

Maybe? His FT% is bad, too (though not completely abysmal, if he has a good game or two it will be at or above 70%). I buy the idea more that the Ignite's particular scheme or mix of inexperienced players mean that less open shots are generated.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,201

Post#124 » by clyde21 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:47 am

id definitely feel much more comfortable about his shooting prowess if he was >75 from the stripe. thats the threshold for his archetype like 80% is for guards.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,583

Post#125 » by MemphisX » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:24 am

clyde21 wrote:id definitely feel much more comfortable about his shooting prowess if he was >75 from the stripe. thats the threshold for his archetype like 80% is for guards.

Hard to decipher G League FT%.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#126 » by Hal14 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 4:13 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
clyde21 wrote:no one is really shooting well in this GLI team - Holland himself is shooting 25% from 3, Johnson is at 30%, Almansa 15%, etc

I don't know how Matas being a bad shooter is explained by Holland being a bad shooter. Both guys suck at shooting, I don't understand the connection.

Not saying Buzelis is any good but I think he's saying the Ignite is just setting everyone up to fail. Basically everyone is struggling. I hope no other top prospects choose this route in the future. It's not doing anyone any good.

Idk about that. Ignite has 3 guys who are probably gonna be lottery picks. Holland might go no. 1 overall. Buzelis has a good chance to go top 5. Smith will probably go towards end of lottery.

No other team (college, overseas, whatever) has that many guys who even have somewhat of a realistic chance at going lottery..

Plus Almansa could end up going in the 1st round as well..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,937

Post#127 » by Frichuela » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:01 pm

With Buzelis a key question is can he consistently shoot the 3 at a 34-35% clip? He has the defensive chops (good block stats), although it's quite difficult to assess anything in the mess that the Ignite team is.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 737

Post#128 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:03 pm

Frichuela wrote:With Buzelis a key question is can he consistently shoot the 3 at a 34-35% clip? He has the defensive chops (good block stats), although it's quite difficult to assess anything in the mess that the Ignite team is.

He has no defensive chops other than being tall, he's horrible at closing out, gets bullied by any player with strength, gets blown by against anyone who can dribble, and is ultra soft.
Frichuela
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,937

Post#129 » by Frichuela » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:30 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Frichuela wrote:With Buzelis a key question is can he consistently shoot the 3 at a 34-35% clip? He has the defensive chops (good block stats), although it's quite difficult to assess anything in the mess that the Ignite team is.

He has no defensive chops other than being tall, he's horrible at closing out, gets bullied by any player with strength, gets blown by against anyone who can dribble, and is ultra soft.

Good Lord...the way you put it he is like a tall Jordan Poole on defense...
Hal14
RealGM

Post#130 » by Hal14 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:41 pm

Frichuela wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Don't pay attention to that guy. Look at his post history. Extremely negative opinions on every player. Makes every player seem like they don't even belong playing pro basketball at any level.

If you hate every prospect so much, maybe pick a different hobby. I know that if I hated every type of pizza, I wouldn't sit on a pizza message board talking about pizza all day.

Putting him on the ignore list..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#131 » by JMAC3 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:54 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Frichuela wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Don't pay attention to that guy. Look at his post history. Extremely negative opinions on every player. Makes every player seem like they don't even belong playing pro basketball at any level.

Putting him on the ignore list..

Which top 10 guy are you down on right now?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Hal14
RealGM

Post#132 » by Hal14 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Which top 10 guy are you down on right now?

Why are you asking? Weird question.

I'm lower than consensus on Risacher and Cody Williams, if you must know. And depending on where Castle is in consensus rankings, I'm maybe lower on him as well.

A few people also have Buzelis higher than I do right now..
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,470

Post#133 » by Saints14 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:00 pm

Can't say I've watched much GLI but the guy he reminds me the most of as a prospect is Saric
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,165

Post#134 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:10 pm

Hal14 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Which top 10 guy are you down on right now?

Why are you asking? Weird question.

I'm lower than consensus on Risacher and Cody Williams, if you must know. And depending on where Castle is in consensus rankings, I'm maybe lower on him as well.

A few people also have Buzelis higher than I do right now..

From outside looking in you seem to like nearly everyone, or at least aren't vocal about the guys you don't.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
JustBuzzin
Head Coach
And1: 5,677

Post#135 » by JustBuzzin » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:29 am

Probably the prospect with the highest potential.

6'10 but is very fluid like a guard. If he can continue to improve on his ball handling and jumpshot he might be a all-star caliber player down the line.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,002

Post#136 » by Village Idiot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:49 pm

I have him at the top of my board for the Blazers. I see a triple threat on offense who will be able to hold his own defensively. Seems to have a great attitude and a love for the game.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#137 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:52 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I have him at the top of my board for the Blazers. I see a triple threat on offense who will be able to hold his own defensively. Seems to have a great attitude and a love for the game.

He has easily the least love for the game of any prospect in this class other than Ware (who I would guess might go undrafted so I don't know if he's a real prospect) and maybe Collier and Salaun.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#138 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 pm

I genuinely don't understand any of what people see in Matas.

I don't think I've ever seen a guy who led his team to a 2-32 record and moped the entire time have his intangibles questioned less.

I've never seen a guy who shot 26% from three and 68% from the line have his shooting questioned less.

Never seen a guy with a negative assist to turnover ratio have his skill level and BBIQ questioned less.

Like, this dude just blows. He is bad currently. If he turns his attitude around and focuses as hard as possible on gaining muscle and shooting threes, he can be like... an average starting PF one day?

But that's not super likely and he lacks the upside to be worth taking a risk before the end of the first round.
tester551
Analyst
And1: 817

Post#139 » by tester551 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:01 pm

Village Idiot wrote:I have him at the top of my board for the Blazers. I see a triple threat on offense who will be able to hold his own defensively. Seems to have a great attitude and a love for the game.

I generally agree.

All the top prospects have major warts in their games, but I think Matas is the best fit skill wise for Portland (along with Risacher).

I am concerned about his poor shooting - but I think that will come around.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#140 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:34 pm

FWIW Matas was at 42% from 3 and 80% from the FT line in HS. I really dont think he will be a career 25% 3PT or under 70% FT guy in the NBA.

I still have him #1, but Sarr is growing on me as a Mobley type (Think its about 20% chance he gets there - not that certain on anyone in this draft).

Return to NBA Draft