Nike Hoop Summit '24 Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

bucknut
Sophomore
And1: 94

Re: Nike Hoop Summit '24 Thread 

Post#41 » by bucknut » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:44 am

traore was a standout. says he visited xavier and gonzaga ? ..........incredible shot making in the lane on the move
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#42 » by peZt » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:50 am

Catchall wrote:First impressions:
** Cooper Flagg -- Looks about 6'8". Has a nice mid-range game with his fading jumper and high release.

He looks so much bigger to me. Or maybe its just because he is just so wide, but definitely does not look like someone who is "undersized" for the PF position, which you would assume for someone 6'8.
If you told me he was 6'10 I wouldnt bat an eye, thats how big he looks on the court to me

He would be so perfect on the Spurs. Imagine the Spurs with Cooper + Wemby Frontcourt. Vassell on the wing and a PG signing. You could close the league for the next decade lmao
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,098

Post#43 » by The-Power » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:23 am

Traore and Dybantsa the two standouts on Team World. Impressed with Traore in particular, that was a really good all-around performance. He had no issues getting by defenders and he stood out as a playmaker on a team otherwise challenged in that regard. Dybantsa is ridiculously toolsy at his size. He just needs to fully grow into his body and continue honing his skills and then it's hard to imagine him not being in consideration for the top pick once he's eligible. Edgecomb stands out with his energy but at his size he will have to find something on offense to hang his hat on.

Flagg looked very good on Team USA. Just a good all-around game although I had hoped to see a bit more dominance on defense in these HS All-Star games. Bailey flashed his potential and has a nice motor but also still looks raw and needs a lot more development of his skills. Newell popped off the screen as well and Harper is also someone whose presence you can always notice, although I'm wondering how much he'll have to adjust to opponents' size when playing college (and later in the NBA) and how his game generally translates. Same applies to Quaintance who pops and looks very intriguing but I'm also curious to see what his archetype will be in the end.

All things considered it was an entertaining game with some really good talent and overall good energy. I agree, however, that the World Team seems far from an ensemble of the best prospects in the world and that does take something away from the branding of the game.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,388

Post#44 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:56 pm

still no official measurements for team usa?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,775

Post#45 » by Duke4life831 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:09 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:still no official measurements for team usa?

They dont measure the US team
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#46 » by retrobro90 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:42 pm

Still very much in on Boogie Fland after that showing. Deep bag as a finisher and shot creator. Defense is definitely a work in progress but not as concerning given his archetype. Very bursty and his athleticism still sticks out.

VJ was impressive too. Definitely outlier athleticism and shot creation. Little concerned about both VJ and Fland as distributors. Reads have been pretty simple and often late or off a jump pass in traffic.

Dybantsa is a sleeping giant. Hard to believe he should be entering his junior year right now. Unreal space he's able to get on his step back. If the one and done rule were eliminated he'd be in the convo for #1 in 2025.
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 902

Post#47 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 am

Bailey has not impressed me. Dybanta either tbh but his physicality at that age is pretty damn impressive. I think he's the no-brainer #1 for his class. It's a shame we're likely not going to see Flagg at his best in games like this or in college. He should be the point forward but will probably be playing off-ball a lot. His value is as a 6'8" point forward like Banchero. Thankfully they've got some bigs so they won't play him at the 5 at least. Newell is so talented. I was surprised he was such a chucker in the game but I think he just wanted to step outside of the shadows and announce his arrival so to speak. I think he'll be vying for top 3-5
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#48 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:57 am

Duke4life831 wrote:

that blows. any idea why?
FarBeyondDriven
Bench Warmer
And1: 902

Post#49 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:13 am

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

that blows. any idea why?

probably because they and their teams (managers, agents, family) like to control the narrative as much as possible. This allows them to put up graphics with clearly embellished heights. They had Harper as 6'7". Just ridiculous

Since they had measurements (doubt they were too stringent and thus aren't necessarily trustworthy) for the international players it's not hard to gauge the heights for the US kids since they were on the same court. Wingspan is obviously tougher but usually players have WS +2-4 inches of their heights and when you see an outlier it's fairly obvious.
crows2
Senior
And1: 561

Post#50 » by crows2 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:13 pm

A few thoughts on prospects from both this game and the McDonald's game and scrimmage:

Flagg - Looked tentative at McDonald's and his shot wasn't dropping, but completely reversed that at the Hoop Summit where he was very good. It seems that the more the game means, the better Flagg plays. There's absolutely no doubt he'll be a good defender in the NBA. If his shot falls like it did in the Hoop Summit, he'll be a star. If not, he'll still be a very good glue guy in the NBA.

Bailey - Still raw but an extremely good athlete. Looked like he wanted to make a statement at McDonald's and challenged Flagg on a few occasions, although most of them ended up with long turnaround jumpers (he hit a couple of them). Hard to tell how legit his shot is but it looked okay to me. The only challenger to Flagg for number 1 in this class.

Harper - He looks like he has more pop than someone like Cole Anthony who came into these games in 2019 rated reasonably similarly to Harper now. Was clearly one of the better prospects at McDonald's, although a few of his points came on leak outs. Wasn't as impressive at the Hoop Summit where he was outplayed by Traore. I thought he forced a bit too much. 50/50 on whether he'll be able to be a lead guard in the NBA.

Tre Johnson - Was terrific offensively at McDonald's, looked like everything he did was going to go in. Struggled with his shot at the Summit, which exposed the fact that at this stage he doesn't offer much if his shot isn't falling. Will need to keep developing a more rounded game outside of scoring, but I think he's a better prospect than guys like Whitehead and Walter were at this stage. I'm still scratching my head as to why he picked Texas ahead of Baylor.

Edgecombe - Has a tiny body - his height is passable for an SG but the whole frame and package just looks small. Was clearly one of the better players though, and is a good athlete. Didn't show much in terms of being able to be a lead guard (which would be a huge win if he can given his size). Was one of the main guys for World at the Summit and did okay but was a bit overmatched by the sheer number of talented players on the US. Unlike Johnson, I think he's made a good decision going to Baylor, who have shown they can showcase guards for the NBA (eg. George, Walter).

Bethea - Was really really poor at McDonald's. His shot looked off and he struggled handling the ball. He was just nowhere near at the level of the top guys. He tried to play like one early on but was so bad that he kind of shrunk for the rest of the weekend and was benched for a while in the main game. Might be the kind of player who looks better in a structured team setting.

Jackson - Played very well at McDonald's. Seemed to have lots of confidence. The commentators intimated that he hasn't been great over the past year or two, but he certainly belonged over this weekend. Nice size and good variation in his offensive game if his shot is falling. Wasn't great at the Summit, but still got involved more than someone like Johnson when his shot wasn't falling. I don't trust UNC as a development program, so Jackson could go either way.

Evans - Probably the second most disappointing player after Bethea. He just doesn't look very good. Didn't really do anything well at either McDonald's or the Summit. Doesn't seem to have a great basketball brain but lacks the size or athleticism to overcome that. Rated far too highly imo. Fortunately for him he'll likely benefit from playing alongside Flagg at Duke, who might hide some of his weaknesses.

Powell - Another in the vein of Bethea and Evans who struggled to hang with the top guys. Powell was difficult to notice for much of the McDonald's weekend, just kind of floating there on court without getting involved or doing anything impressive. Could be another like Bethea who looks better in a more structured team environment, but was impossible to tell with his performance this weekend.

Bidunga - Didn't do much outside effort/athletic plays. A good athlete, but doesn't seem to have too many skills down low at this stage, and doesn't look big enough to be a defensive stalwart at C. Was easily outplayed by Queen all throughout McDonald's.

Fland - A pleasant surprise. Seems like he's been rising in the rankings lately and you can see why. Was one of the better players on the court for much of the McDonald's weekend, and probably played better than Harper at the Summit. Obviously has a bit less size than Harper, but seems adequate enough if he's to be a PG. On that note, he did seem to look to score far more than pass throughout all the games. I'm not sure if he'll end up being cerebral enough to be an NBA PG, but he certainly would've had scouts intrigued with his play. It's a shame he won't be getting the guard boost under Cal at Kentucky that so many NBA guards have received, but I guess he could still go to Arkansas.

Queen - Clearly the best big at McDonald's, and should be a good college player. His hands are extremely good for big man, both on offense and defense. He seemed to be able to catch anything, whilst also making some nice swipes on D. Has great chemistry with Flagg, so it's a shame that they won't be playing college together. Unfortunately he may lack the athleticism to make it as a C in the NBA, but a role player off the bench would be a nice goal.

McNeeley - Hit an insane game winning buzzer beater in the McDonald's scrimmage. Clearly a good shooter, although after the scrimmage he wasn't as effective. I thought he struggled a bit with the athleticism in the McDonald's game, as he couldn't find much space at all. Everything will of course hinge on his shot. It'll be interesting to see where he chooses to play next year. Kansas would probably be a good spot although Furphy's already there and probably superior.

Knox - Looked fat to me. The commentators seemed to think he's in the best shape of his life, so I don't know whether he was even bigger before? I was positive his older brother would be a bust, and it's hard to see the younger Knox succeeding in the NBA either. At most he could be a role player if his 3-point shot is good enough. I just don't think that family possesses any feel for the game or basketball smarts.

Reid - Wasn't impressed with him at McDonald's. I didn't like his feel for the game. Looks to have good size though, and I'm certainly not ruling him out as it was difficult to judge his shot or athleticism.

Sherrell - Battled hard as a big at McDonald's. Wasn't afraid to shoot from outside, which might be critical for him in the future as he may not have the size to be a full-time C.

Freeman - I didn't know anything about him coming in, but he actually looked okay. Has very good size for his position and his shot fell.

Newell - Not sure why he wasn't at McDonald's, but he played for USA at the Summit. I've always liked him as a player. He tries hard and has good BBIQ imo. Will probably need to develop his outside shot if he wants to be an NBA player, as he's undersized for a C. To his credit, he wasn't afraid at all to let it fly from deep, but he probably only hit about 1/5.

Diallo, Bryant, Perry, Bol, Tucker - Didn't show enough to be intrigued.

Quaintance - Not eligible until 2025 but played McDonald's and Hoop Summit. Has a crazy build for a 16yo. It'd be nice if he can add a couple of inches, as he's a bit undersized at the moment. I'm not sure he'll ever develop an outside game, but he seems to have the athleticism and strength to compete at a higher level.

Dybantsa - Not eligible until 2025. After a quiet start, took over for the World team in the Hoop Summit. Looks effortlessly athletic, easily blowing by nearly everyone other than Flagg. Already has an impressive body but looks like it could develop even more. Dybantsa's a better prospect than Bailey imo, although I might trust Bailey's shot a bit more at this stage.

Traore - Outplayed Harper in the Hoop Summit. Looked good in the pick n roll and his own shot looked decent too. Obviously has very nice size for a PG too.

Maluach - Extremely raw. I'm sceptical that he'll be a top pick in next year's draft. Struggled to get into the game at all at the Summit. He'll have Flagg to help him at Duke, but it's impossible to tell at this stage whether Maluach will be a hit or a miss.

Chomche - Didn't see enough of him to be able to assess all his attributes, but he was the most skilled of the World bigs, showing more in the paint than Maluach or Bidunga.
namlede
Sophomore
And1: 114

Post#51 » by namlede » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:08 pm

Flagg could be a bigger Jimmy Butler or a Kawhi type. The only thing I don’t like about him is his shot looks strange, but if it works then it works.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,775

Post#52 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm

namlede wrote:Flagg could be a bigger Jimmy Butler or a Kawhi type. The only thing I don’t like about him is his shot looks strange, but if it works then it works.

Ya there is some funk to it. He does seem to have great natural touch with the mid range though. I think he’s going to be more of a mid range guy and drawing fouls guy. He just needs the 3pt to be respectable.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#53 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:56 pm

Wonder what Flagg's real barefoot height is. I dunno if he is a 3 or 4 in the league.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#54 » by SeattleJazzFan » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 pm

RookieStar wrote:Wonder what Flagg's real barefoot height is. I dunno if he is a 3 or 4 in the league.

not sure it matters in today's league. the reality is he should be versatile enough to play both. the beauty of flagg is that he can play the 4 with and against some lineups and the 3 as well and hold his own.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#55 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:32 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
RookieStar wrote:Wonder what Flagg's real barefoot height is. I dunno if he is a 3 or 4 in the league.

not sure it matters in today's league. the reality is he should be versatile enough to play both. the beauty of flagg is that he can play the 4 with and against some lineups and the 3 as well and hold his own.

I think it does already. If Flagg is 6'8 in shoes he is gonna have a tough time when he faces the big PFs who are 6'11 in shoes yet as quick as him. They are just going to bully him. However, if he can be a full time 3, then he will have the advantage.
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,282

Post#56 » by andyhop » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:06 am

RookieStar wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:

I think it does already. If Flagg is 6'8 in shoes he is gonna have a tough time when he faces the big PFs who are 6'11 in shoes yet as quick as him. They are just going to bully him. However, if he can be a full time 3, then he will have the advantage.

Who are these 6'11" PF's? . Looking through team rosters they seem to be incredibly rare to the point of it being a non factor
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#57 » by RookieStar » Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:22 am

andyhop wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:

Who are these 6'11" PF's? . Looking through team rosters they seem to be incredibly rare to the point of it being a non factor

Lol my bad. Should be clearer 6'11 in shoes PF. Well i kinda was thinking our own Paolo then you got AD, KAT, KD, Mobley , Giannis etc... but yeah not all. Most are on the 6'9 on shoes range
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 11,492

Post#58 » by Chuck Everett » Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 am

Flagg has very long arms. He looks like a condor in space. I hope he ends up on the right team in the East (not Washington).
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#59 » by eminence » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:42 pm

RookieStar wrote:
andyhop wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Lol my bad. Should be clearer 6'11 in shoes PF. Well i kinda was thinking our own Paolo then you got AD, KAT, KD, Mobley , Giannis etc... but yeah not all. Most are on the 6'9 on shoes range

AD really only plays C for the Lakers these days.

He looks big enough that he should be fine as a true 4, though not someone you'd like switching up to most 5s.
I bought a boat.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,208

Post#60 » by FrodoBaggins » Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:06 pm

Flagg's numbers are probably similar to Ingram, who's 6'8" barefoot, with a 9'1.5" standing reach, and a 7'3" wingspan.
"

Return to NBA Draft