Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,336

Re: Nikola Topic 

Post#241 » by lambchop » Tue May 7, 2024 9:58 pm

Hal14 wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:It's just one game. And Mega didn't have their starting center. So they had to start an 18 yr old kid who has barely played all season instead.

Before this, Mega had won like 9 games in a row - without Topic. 1 of those wins was a double digit win over Red Star.

Currently down by 30 again

Ok?

Average age of Mega's players is like 20. Average age of Red Star's players is like 30..Red Star has dudes who have played in the NBA. They should win by 30..

Yep, it's a meaningless win like most wins in ABA liga. The level of play is really not good at all, apart from Red Star, Partizan, Podgorica and at times MEGA. It's a great developmental league for very young players and pretty cool for Americans looking to get some exposure. In the entire playoffs there have been exactly two competitive games so far.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 867

Post#242 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu May 9, 2024 5:54 pm

I think Topic needs to completely change his shooting form in the NBA, his jumpshot is way too slow and his release point is way too low.
lambchop
General Manager

Post#243 » by lambchop » Sat May 11, 2024 5:58 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I think Topic needs to completely change his shooting form in the NBA, his jumpshot is way too slow and his release point is way too low.

He definitely will tweak his mechanics, but I don't see why his release point is too low for the modern game. A lot of guys shoot like that nowadays, whether it's vets like Lillard and Curry or younger dudes like Haliburton, Nembhard, Trae Young etc.

Years ago it was vital for players to have higher release points and get significant elevation on their jump shots, because they were operating in limited space, similarly to how Kawhi plays. If Kawhi had Lillard's shooting form, he would not be a scoring threat, except for open threes.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 867

Post#244 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat May 11, 2024 10:39 pm

lambchop wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:I think Topic needs to completely change his shooting form in the NBA, his jumpshot is way too slow and his release point is way too low.

He definitely will tweak his mechanics, but I don't see why his release point is too low for the modern game. A lot of guys shoot like that nowadays, whether it's vets like Lillard and Curry or younger dudes like Haliburton, Nembhard, Trae Young etc.

Years ago it was vital for players to have higher release points and get significant elevation on their jump shots, because they were operating in limited space, similarly to how Kawhi plays. If Kawhi had Lillard's shooting form, he would not be a scoring threat, except for open threes.

Except Steph etc have a ton of shake and create separation for their lightning fast jumpshots.

Topic's jumpshot takes forever.
lambchop
General Manager

Post#245 » by lambchop » Sun May 12, 2024 6:12 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
lambchop wrote:

Except Steph etc have a ton of shake and create separation for their lightning fast jumpshots.

Topic's jumpshot takes forever.

It doesn't need to be quick, it just needs to be solid enough to keep the defense honest. It's the same with Giddey, no one is asking him to shoot long range bombs off the dribble with defenders draped all over him. They are, however, asking him to be a legitimate threat when catching the ball open from three, which then forces the defense to close out and enables his reads and passing game. If the defense can simply ignore Topic, he'll be in trouble.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#246 » by MasterIchiro » Sun May 12, 2024 11:51 pm

I don't see the Wizards without a PG passing on Topic. I would be floored.

Just no way.
It has been written...
darbstar
Junior
And1: 51

Post#247 » by darbstar » Mon May 13, 2024 12:54 pm

When is his next game?
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,270

Post#248 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 13, 2024 12:58 pm

darbstar wrote:When is his next game?

today at 2:30 est.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
OriAr
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#249 » by OriAr » Mon May 13, 2024 8:16 pm

Read on Twitter

Just reinjured his knee.
It looks bad.
lambchop
General Manager

Post#250 » by lambchop » Mon May 13, 2024 9:17 pm

Yea here's how it happened. He looked good in limited minutes, but that body looks pretty fragile. If he falls in the draft due to injury and ends up on a playoff team, he probably wouldn't get playing time which would suck for his development. Anyway, I hope it's just a sprain again. The replay didn't look that bad, but the initial angle looks like a strange jerky movement.

EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,733

Post#251 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 14, 2024 1:25 pm

He’s OK. Really great news.
Read on Twitter
lambchop
General Manager

Post#252 » by lambchop » Tue May 14, 2024 2:35 pm

Yea I hope they get him on a proper weightlifting routine with a ton of single leg strengthening, working on landing, producing force etc. Probably a "blessing in disguise" that this stuff started to show once he started playing more competitive games with Red Star, as opposed to the less intense games he was playing with MEGA.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,383

Post#253 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 2:42 pm

Risk averse GMs will avoid him in fear of him being fragile.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,420

Post#254 » by NatP4 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:07 pm

Best case scenario probably. No need for him to play 12-15 minutes as the 3rd PG in the rotation for Crvena. Gets an entire summer to rehab and rest the knee. Teams can get him to NA for medical evals.

Is there any evidence of injury history prior to this year?

Return to NBA Draft