2024 NBA Draft Thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,538

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2101 » by BigGargamel » Sat May 11, 2024 11:55 pm

Dillingham, Sheppard, Topic are far from perfect prospects, but it would be a disappointment if the Spurs don't wind up with one of those guys.
Rustyman
Junior
And1: 320

Post#2102 » by Rustyman » Sun May 12, 2024 11:00 pm

My preference is Topic->Dillingham->Sheppard and the reason for this is I saw Sheppard and Dillingham standing next to each other at the Lottery and they are the same size. If that is the case, I go with Dillingham's explosive ability over Sheppard's shooting.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#2103 » by Catchall » Sun May 12, 2024 11:05 pm

I think AJ Johnson has been a bit out-of-sight, out-of-mind. I think he should be considered in the mid-1st round and might even be comparable as a prospect to JaKobe Walter.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#2104 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun May 12, 2024 11:48 pm

the draft lottery didn't make things any clearer. In fact, it's murkier than ever because many of these teams at the top have roster crunches. With so many stars around the league likely to be moved, this draft is going to be ridiculously busy with a lot of trades imo. It's going to make mock draft nearly impossible since team needs can't possibly be known since we don't know who teams are willing to move. I'm going to try and do a post lottery mock anyway but just early into the process I think it's safe to say this is one of the deepest draft classes in memory. There's around 45-50 first round talents. Teams in the 2nd round are going to be getting major steals and several of these guys will end up having better careers than guys taken in the top 20.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,737

Post#2105 » by EmpireFalls » Mon May 13, 2024 3:38 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:the draft lottery didn't make things any clearer. In fact, it's murkier than ever because many of these teams at the top have roster crunches. With so many stars around the league likely to be moved, this draft is going to be ridiculously busy with a lot of trades imo. It's going to make mock draft nearly impossible since team needs can't possibly be known since we don't know who teams are willing to move. I'm going to try and do a post lottery mock anyway but just early into the process I think it's safe to say this is one of the deepest draft classes in memory. There's around 45-50 first round talents. Teams in the 2nd round are going to be getting major steals and several of these guys will end up having better careers than guys taken in the top 20.

You’re exaggerating a bit but I agree the depth is incredible. This Isaac Jones guy who got called up for the main combine after destroying the G League invitational.. he wasn’t even on draft boards and now he looks like a can’t miss top-40 guy. There’s so so so much depth.
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#2106 » by Chuck Everett » Mon May 13, 2024 4:01 am

EmpireFalls wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:the draft lottery didn't make things any clearer. In fact, it's murkier than ever because many of these teams at the top have roster crunches. With so many stars around the league likely to be moved, this draft is going to be ridiculously busy with a lot of trades imo. It's going to make mock draft nearly impossible since team needs can't possibly be known since we don't know who teams are willing to move. I'm going to try and do a post lottery mock anyway but just early into the process I think it's safe to say this is one of the deepest draft classes in memory. There's around 45-50 first round talents. Teams in the 2nd round are going to be getting major steals and several of these guys will end up having better careers than guys taken in the top 20.

You’re exaggerating a bit but I agree the depth is incredible. This Isaac Jones guy who got called up for the main combine after destroying the G League invitational.. he wasn’t even on draft boards and now he looks like a can’t miss top-40 guy. There’s so so so much depth.

Jones was in the draft last year too. He transferred from Idaho and had a great year in the Pac-12. Seems like he is going to try to carve out a niche as a hybrid forward role like Robert Covington or one of the Morris brothers. I wrote before the G-League camp in the combine thread that I expected him to perform well in that setting. He has pro game.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,778

Post#2107 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 4:16 am

Kyshawn George is my sleeper in this draft. He's 6'8 with guard skills and a decent 3pt shot.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,275

Post#2108 » by clyde21 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 am

JustBuzzin wrote:Kyshawn George is my sleeper in this draft. He's 6'8 with guard skills and a decent 3pt shot.

not really a sleeper at this point, pretty much a consensus 1st rounder, some even have him #1 overall
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,778

Post#2109 » by JustBuzzin » Mon May 13, 2024 4:28 am

clyde21 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Kyshawn George is my sleeper in this draft. He's 6'8 with guard skills and a decent 3pt shot.

not really a sleeper at this point, pretty much a consensus 1st rounder, some even have him #1 overall

Who has him #1 overall?
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,275

Post#2110 » by clyde21 » Mon May 13, 2024 4:37 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Who has him #1 overall?

my guy babyjax i think
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,454

Post#2111 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:24 am

clyde21 wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Who has him #1 overall?

my guy babyjax i think

I did, have him 3rd now on my mock (will update). But I am far from an expert, unless I'm right, then I am the expert :wink: (thanks for the shout out, though). Wouldn't be surprised if I end with him 1 on my big board, but he will end top 3 most likely (2 now).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,271

Post#2112 » by JMAC3 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:47 am

Based on the lottery results today, Sarr is going #1 with a floor of 2.
Topic feels like the fav at #2 with Clingan as main comp. Maybe Dillingham gets consideration.
#3 might get moved but lean Risacher or Dillingham.
#4 likely Dillingham if Topic is gone.
#5 feels like Risacher if available with maybe Holland, Buzelis if not.

Feels like Sarr, Topic, Risacher and Dillingham are probably gone in the first 5 picks in some order.

Not a huge Dillingham guy, but he definitely benefited a ton by results today.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#2113 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 13, 2024 7:47 am

JMAC3 wrote:Based on the lottery results today, Sarr is going #1 with a floor of 2.
Topic feels like the fav at #2 with Clingan as main comp. Maybe Dillingham gets consideration.

Feels like Sarr, Topic, Risacher and Dillingham are probably gone in the first 5 picks in some order.

If I'm the Spurs I'd just wait to see if Dillingham is there at 8 (assuming Topic is not there at 4). Detroit, Portland, and Charlotte aren't likely to take him as all are either guard heavy or have a young guy at point guard that they are hoping is a franchise guy.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,136

Post#2114 » by The Moose » Mon May 13, 2024 8:17 am

babyjax13 wrote:
JMAC3 wrote:Based on the lottery results today, Sarr is going #1 with a floor of 2.

If I'm the Spurs I'd just wait to see if Dillingham is there at 8 (assuming Topic goes 4). Detroit, Portland, and Charlotte aren't likely to take him as all are either guard heavy or have a young guy at point guard that they are hoping is a franchise guy.

Spurs taking Topic and Dillingham?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#2115 » by babyjax13 » Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 am

The Moose wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

If I'm the Spurs I'd just wait to see if Dillingham is there at 8 (assuming Topic goes 4). Detroit, Portland, and Charlotte aren't likely to take him as all are either guard heavy or have a young guy at point guard that they are hoping is a franchise guy.

Spurs taking Topic and Dillingham?

Meant to write assuming that he goes before 4. I'm guessing Washington takes him, but if they don't, Houston *should*.

JColl
Felixians4
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#2116 » by Felixians4 » Mon May 13, 2024 9:19 am

Just do not want SAS so quick build dynasty around Victor. Huge chance for them come close to that after last 2yrs lottery.

Centers era here again, expect 5-6 of them on first round
ROballer
General Manager
And1: 2,760

Post#2117 » by ROballer » Mon May 13, 2024 11:27 am

There's no clear cut superstar value in this draft IMO, you can select in the teens and might have better results in the end than the guys who are selected in the early lottery.

That's why assuming everyone keeps their pick(unlikely), I think most teams will go need first, BPA second(you don't even know for sure who is going to be better).

So here would be my top 10:

1.ATL - Sarr (they were looking to shed Capela for years, no better opportunity than right now)
2. WAS - Topic (they need bodies everywhere)
3. HOU - Risacher (they are actually deep at every position, any guy selected here assuming Hou keeps the pick, won't play much during their rookie year)
4. SAS- Sheppard (I don't really care what anyone else says, he's the best fit for the Spurs...they desperately need bodies who can make a simple pass to Wemby. And he's one of the few guys in the draft with a ready shot from Day 1, they need that as well.
Spurs will look to accelerate the development process and maybe contend for the playoffs as soon as next year. Sheppard is a rotation player from the get go)
5. DET - Buzelis (Stewart experiment needs to die already, he's a backup level player in this league. They are thin at the 3/4, it's either him or Holland here)
6. CHA - Dillingham (Ball is injury prone, Rozier is no more. They are thin at the Guard position and selecting Dillingham makes sense)
7. POR - Holland (the days of playing the likes of Toumani Camara and Kris Murray are over)
8. SAS - Knecht (as I said, Spurs will try to speed the development and win games. Sheppard and Knecht are the two guys who can play from day one because of their shooting, that's the guys I see the Spurs going after)
9. Mem - Clingan (no Steven Adams, not sure they want JJJ as the full time 5. They need a C bad, if Clingan is available, they won't pass on him)
10. Uta - Castle (tried a ton of guards in the past two years, none have really ran away with the job. Castle makes sense here)
Steve Nash injures his back while carrying bags

Slava wrote:I pulled a hammy while fapping. I won't make fun of Nash.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,800

Post#2118 » by Upperclass » Mon May 13, 2024 11:45 am

For obvious reasons.. Spurs are taking Clingan if he doesnt go top 4
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 868

Post#2119 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon May 13, 2024 11:49 am

Upperclass wrote:For obvious reasons.. Spurs are taking Clingan if he doesnt go top 4

They are pretty obviously not taking another center as Wemby was much better at C than PF.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,538

Post#2120 » by BigGargamel » Mon May 13, 2024 12:39 pm

Upperclass wrote:For obvious reasons.. Spurs are taking Clingan if he doesnt go top 4

What is the obvious reason? Clingan makes no sense. Wemby took off once he was moved to C and you don't draft a guy in the top ten to be a backup. It would be a waste of a pick. One of the PG's at 4 and Knecht at 8 makes too much sense for them.

Return to NBA Draft