2024 NBA Combine thread

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Re: 2024 NBA Combine thread 

Post#241 » by JRoy » Wed May 15, 2024 11:22 pm

Catchall wrote:Stephon Castle looks like this year's version of Justise Winslow.

That’s what I thought but was too chicken to say.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,199

Post#242 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu May 16, 2024 3:14 am

EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:First Day Scrimmage Roundup

Ajay Mitchell really impressed me in the scrimmages. He confirmed to me that he's potentially a lead guard but at worst is good enough to be a rotational player. He moves, plays and looks like Derrick White.

Flowers is a twitchy, natural basketball player with on-ball skills and potential on defense. Sucks he didn't go to college but there's enough there to probably safely put him in the first round given his age and physical profile.

Mogbo clearly has NBA size and a skillset and seeing it against NBA peers has opened eyes. This is the first time I've seen him live so admittedly he was off my radar. He's older and went to a small school but there's no denying he's got an NBA body and skillset. If he continues to impress he'll potentially get drafted. There's some Draymond potential there. Very similar way of moving around and contributing without necessarily putting up stats.

Ingram looks, plays, and has the same skillset as OG Anunoby. He looks like the perfect 3 and D wing. I don't think I can keep him out of the first round as he's plug and play whether as a starter or off the bench.

Another guy not on my radar was Enrique Freedom. He moves so well with NBA size and length (6' 9" in shoes with 7'.2" WS) Even hit some (3 of 5) threes. He opened my eyes and I expect he'll be moving up boards.

Scheierman has helped himself. Very smart all around offensive player that looks like he can keep up on defense.
another late 1st/early 2nd guy

I think Mogbo was hurt by the measurements. He has small hands and he's Draymond Green sized.

hence the "there's some Draymond potential there"

Mogbo - 6' 6.25" at 217 lbs with a 7'2" wingspan

Green - 6' 5.75" at 235 lbs with a 7'1.25" wingspan
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#243 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu May 16, 2024 4:26 am

I don't know why but I totally forgot that most of the guaranteed 1st rounders don't actually play in the scrimmages at the combine. I want dawgs that love to play basketball. I get that they're paying agents good money to advise them on these things but I still hate it.
DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 49,037

Post#244 » by DOT » Thu May 16, 2024 1:26 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:I don't know why but I totally forgot that most of the guaranteed 1st rounders don't actually play in the scrimmages at the combine. I want dawgs that love to play basketball. I get that they're paying agents good money to advise them on these things but I still hate it.

I'd rather the chance be given to kids who are flying under the radar to show out so teams give them a second look rather than it just be all the guys we already know about.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#245 » by EvanZ » Thu May 16, 2024 1:38 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:First Day Scrimmage Roundup

Ajay Mitchell really impressed me in the scrimmages. He confirmed to me that he's potentially a lead guard but at worst is good enough to be a rotational player. He moves, plays and looks like Derrick White.

Flowers is a twitchy, natural basketball player with on-ball skills and potential on defense. Sucks he didn't go to college but there's enough there to probably safely put him in the first round given his age and physical profile.

Mogbo clearly has NBA size and a skillset and seeing it against NBA peers has opened eyes. This is the first time I've seen him live so admittedly he was off my radar. He's older and went to a small school but there's no denying he's got an NBA body and skillset. If he continues to impress he'll potentially get drafted. There's some Draymond potential there. Very similar way of moving around and contributing without necessarily putting up stats.

Ingram looks, plays, and has the same skillset as OG Anunoby. He looks like the perfect 3 and D wing. I don't think I can keep him out of the first round as he's plug and play whether as a starter or off the bench.

Another guy not on my radar was Enrique Freedom. He moves so well with NBA size and length (6' 9" in shoes with 7'.2" WS) Even hit some (3 of 5) threes. He opened my eyes and I expect he'll be moving up boards.

Scheierman has helped himself. Very smart all around offensive player that looks like he can keep up on defense.
another late 1st/early 2nd guy

I think Mogbo was hurt by the measurements. He has small hands and he's Draymond Green sized.

"There's some potential to be like this small player"...not a great selling point. Draymond isn't one of the best all time defenders and playmakers because he's small. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,347

Post#246 » by God Squad » Wed May 22, 2024 3:38 pm

This class is ass.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#247 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 22, 2024 3:42 pm

God Squad wrote:This class is ass.

first person to bring that up. amazing insight.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,347

Post#248 » by God Squad » Wed May 22, 2024 3:56 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
God Squad wrote:This class is ass.

first person to bring that up. amazing insight.

You're welcome.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#249 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed May 22, 2024 7:23 pm

EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

"There's some potential to be like this small player"...not a great selling point. Draymond isn't one of the best all time defenders and playmakers because he's small. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Draymond is small? Here I was thinking he was successful because he was able to be a front-facing, screen-setting, initiator that could defend multiple positions (including small-ball center) because he had the requisite size, strength and length to do so. I'll now have to rethink the role he played in helping the Warriors win 4 championships. Thanks Evan!
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,959

Post#250 » by EmpireFalls » Wed May 22, 2024 8:17 pm

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

Draymond is small? Here I was thinking he was successful because he was able to be a front-facing, screen-setting, initiator that could defend multiple positions (including small-ball center) because he had the requisite size, strength and length to do so. I'll now have to rethink the role he played in helping the Warriors win 4 championships. Thanks Evan!

He also has a once-in-a-lifetime defensive brain and instincts, it’s like he diagnoses plays quicker than anyone except maybe KG, and plays with an innate level of aggression and physicality that I don’t think Mogbo has. Obviously that stuff can’t be measured.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#251 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu May 23, 2024 4:49 am

EmpireFalls wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

He also has a once-in-a-lifetime defensive brain and instincts, it’s like he diagnoses plays quicker than anyone except maybe KG, and plays with an innate level of aggression and physicality that I don’t think Mogbo has. Obviously that stuff can’t be measured.

well, that's why he has "some" Draymond potential. Just basing it on the fact that they seem similarly skilled (can pass, bring the ball up the floor, defend) and have similar size and athleticism. Just watching highlights and he's eerily similar in the way that he moves and his mind works

;t=27s

You're right, Draymond has an elite combination of instincts, aggression, awareness and physicality on the defensive end which is why he was such a great fit on the Warriors and likely heading towards being a HOF. Nobody should be expecting Mogbo to be like that but imho there's enough there to be compelling and if he lands in the right situation he could end up having a long career.

Return to NBA Draft