Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Re: Johnny Furphy - Kansas 

Post#101 » by TheBallsDeeper » Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:12 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I think he's just physically underdeveloped right now and has decent instincts defensively. Maybe I've just caught good games from him, I love his game from what I've seen.

Might be worth noting he is coming from Australia and almost certainly was not getting the type of nutrition and weight training most of the AAU kids are receiving. Even that young its a full blown regiment in the states.

That's one of the worst, most ill-informed comments I've seen on this site.

Furphy has come from The Australian Institute of Sport - one of the world's greatest high-performance centres. It was originally set up to increase Australia's medal count at the Olympics about 40 years ago. Every aspect of their diet, strength and conditioning, and education is monitored. It would be better than anything in the NBA and Colleges.

I've seen what Americans eat in general, and see a lot online what NBA, college, and high school players eat. The average Australian eats healthier than top American athletes. The players on scholarship to the AIS would have the best nutrition available in the world.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,013

Post#102 » by Village Idiot » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:20 am

He reminds me of Jake Layman. Solid role player, not much of a ceiling. I don't see the lottery pick valuation to be honest.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#103 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:47 pm

The rate at which he is getting to the line lately is pretty impressive - changes his projection a bit if he really is this good at drawing fouls. He is averaging 4.5 FTA in FEB through 7 games - thats really nice.

Dont agree w/ the Layman comp. Furphy is more of a true SF and is a Frosh on a power team putting up numbers, since getting consistent PT, that are better than Layman's senior year. Maybe the bottom projection for Furphy is a Layman like guy but I think he has much better potential overall.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,305

Post#104 » by Colbinii » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:56 pm

Village Idiot wrote:He reminds me of Jake Layman. Solid role player, not much of a ceiling. I don't see the lottery pick valuation to be honest.

The difference is Furphy, right now, is as good or better than Layman ever was in college even though Layman played 4 years in college.

That alone allows us to project Furphy much higher than Layman. It allows us to build in some higher-end outcomes where he develops more on-ball or could become a legitimate +++ defender which Layman never was.

Furthermore, Jake Layman was constantly injured at the NBA level. He had 1 relatively healthy season in his entire career. He was never able to truly add to his game as he was constantly injured.

Overall, drawing a parallel to Layman seems "White guy who is listed at 6' 9" " and nothing more than that. Hopefully that level of laziness in draft analysis is the last we see on this board.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#105 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:14 pm

Layman is like a low outcome for Furphy imo, which is fine I guess if you like to keep your projections very conservative (I do) but yea, Furphy is on a much quicker developmental line than Layman ever was and the comp essentially stops at 'White, 6-9, can move and shoot a bit".
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,461

Post#106 » by azcatz11 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:23 pm

clyde21 wrote:Layman is like a low outcome for Furphy imo, which is fine I guess if you like to keep your projections very conservative (I do) but yea, Furphy is on a much quicker developmental line than Layman ever was and the comp essentially stops at 'White, 6-9, can move and shoot a bit".

Furphy isn't asked to do much. He looks very average to me. He's a good shooter but not a great shooter. If he wans't white, no one would be talking about him. KJ Lewis is a much better prospect
clyde21
RealGM

Post#107 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:44 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Layman is like a low outcome for Furphy imo, which is fine I guess if you like to keep your projections very conservative (I do) but yea, Furphy is on a much quicker developmental line than Layman ever was and the comp essentially stops at 'White, 6-9, can move and shoot a bit".

Furphy isn't asked to do much. He looks very average to me. He's a good shooter but not a great shooter. If he wans't white, no one would be talking about him. KJ Lewis is a much better prospect

im confused, what does being white have to do with anything? he could be purple and he'll still be a prospect.

a 6'9 true freshmen starting on one of the top teams in the country, averaging 23/12 per 100 on 51/37/76, with a +34 Net Rating and a 8.5 BPM. he's a prospect and a first rounder at that and it has nothing to do with his skin color.

yall fkn ridiculous.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#108 » by azcatz11 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:14 pm

clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

im confused, what does being white have to do with anything? he could be purple and he'll still be a prospect.

a 6'9 true freshmen starting on one of the top teams in the country, averaging 23/12 per 100 on 51/37/76, with a +34 Net Rating and a 8.5 BPM. he's a prospect and a first rounder at that and it has nothing to do with his skin color.

yall fkn ridiculous.

Those are all buzz words...he's a role player. He shoots 37% from 3. Not great. His hype is unjustified. He's probably the 4th most important player on that team
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#109 » by Colbinii » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:44 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

yall fkn ridiculous.

Those are all buzz words...he's a role player. He shoots 37% from 3. Not great. His hype is unjustified. He's probably the 4th most important player on that team

Yup. He is a role player succeeding at his role as a freshman who can shoot and play defense while his Advanced Metrics [Mostly Rate Metrics] pop off the chart. Clearly a 1st round talent and this type of player has been a 1st round talent for years.

Hell, you don't have to squint much to see Otto Porter Jr as a comp, and Otto Porter Jr was selected 3rd overall in 2013.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
Colbinii
RealGM

Post#110 » by Colbinii » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:46 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

yall fkn ridiculous.

Was Kris Murray only drafted #24 because he is black? He is a worse version of Furphy.

Circa 2018

Circa 2022
clyde21
RealGM

Post#111 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:22 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

yall fkn ridiculous.

in conference he's been shooting 38% actually on pretty strong volume, and 78% from the line, these are both great indicators given his age/size/role.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,083

Post#112 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:58 am

he had his worst game on a huge stage. So bad that he was benched. If that was the only game you saw him you'd be hard pressed to see him as a draft pick let alone first rounder let alone lottery. Really made me question whether he'd be better served returning tbh. He's falling down my board. He's going to need to string together some big games for me to consider him in the top half of the first. More games like today and he's probably going to have to return.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#113 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:30 am

This kid is not nba ready. Maybe next year. The fact people are calling him a lotto pick is laughable
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#114 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:25 am

azcatz11 wrote:This kid is not nba ready. Maybe next year. The fact people are calling him a lotto pick is laughable

he has to return at this point and he's off my board. He has the size, defensive awareness, rebounding, athleticism and off-ball mindset but he lacks strength, aggressiveness, a consistent jumper and his handle needs work. Today was his opportunity to establish himself as a first round guy and he laid an egg. With McCullar and Dickinson out there's no excuse for him not to get 15-20 fga and put his stamp on the game. I get that Kansas doesn't put the ball in his hands and they've got horrible guard play but still. Force the issue and get it done when you do get the ball. He's way too passive. He didn't play like a guy who has hopes or intentions of being drafted this year. Lottery talk is over. Heck, I think first round talk should be over. I can't believe I thought he might be a better prospect than Dick. He's really not even close.
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,595

Post#115 » by MemphisX » Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:49 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

I am now 99% sure y'all just look at boxscores.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#116 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:59 pm

MemphisX wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

Are you saying you think it was a good game?
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#117 » by azcatz11 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:20 pm

MemphisX wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=20[/x]

You're joking right? Did you watch the game? LOL
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#118 » by EvanZ » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:21 pm

The famous "two-game shooting slump"
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#119 » by JMAC3 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:The famous "two-game shooting slump"

I would say it has been more like his last 5 games have all been pretty bad to meh and Kansas is 1-4 during that stretch.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#120 » by FarBeyondDriven » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:46 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:The famous "two-game shooting slump"

I would say it has been more like his last 5 games have all been pretty bad to meh and Kansas is 1-4 during that stretch.

I love when people have no idea what they're talking about and despite being completely wrong, feel confident enough to be sarcastic about they're completely wrong assertions. It's actually much worse than even a 5 game slump. In the past two months (11 games), in conference play, he's shooting 26% from three. And with McCullars being out so much you'd expect Furphy to step up and make up for the loss but the exact opposite has happened.

Return to NBA Draft