Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Re: 2024 NBA Combine thread 

Post#181 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:Brunson, Conley, Mitchell, Trae, Rozier, Bane, Garland, Pritchard, Paul, McCollum, Kyrie, Lillard, Fox, Quickley, Maxey and George are all around 6'2" or shorter. So please relax about guard heights. It's not ideal obviously but it's not a death sentence either.

Bane is not that short.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2022/05/14/were-coming-young-grizzlies-promise-after-semifinal-loss/

3rd pic in article. He's eye to eye with Steph. If he's taller than 6'2" it's not by much. He conveniently didn't get measured at the combine

Bbref has Bane at 6-5, which looks about right

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/banede01.html
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#182 » by Catchall » Tue May 14, 2024 4:30 am

Cody Williams' height and length are virtually identical to Cam Reddish. He's prototypical for a 2/3. The weight is a question mark. He was 190 lbs at Colorado. I'd believe he's 187 lbs more than I'd believe 178.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,333

Post#183 » by Catchall » Tue May 14, 2024 4:42 am

Off the cuff, here are a few standouts I saw (before the data was pulled) :

Knecht measured well both in terms of height and wingspan, giving him hope of becoming a positional defender one day. He shot the lights out and tested well with his max vertical.

Edey looked like his mobility might make him a reasonable drop big in the league. I don't know if his performance in mobility deals will scale into on-court performance at NBA speed, but he's going to get workouts from teams in the late lotto to mid-1st round.

Kel'el Ware measured well and performed well in drills. On paper, he looks like a starter-caliber prospect.

I think Reed Sheppard may have slouched on his standing reach to boost his max vertical. I don't know why he'd do that though. His reach is more important than his vert. He reminded people what kind of shooter he is.

Carlton Carrington tested well across the board and probably boosted his draft range to mid-late 1st round.

Buzelis measured well at ~6'9" w/o shoes.

Ron Holland also measured well at ~6'7" w/o shoes. He may be able to play 2 - 4. His shooting is rocky at best though.

Devin Carter was at or near the top of the athletic testing.

Ulrich Chomche measured at 6'10.25" w/o shoes, putting to rest concerns from the measurement debacle at the Hoop Summit.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,116

Post#184 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 am

JRoy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:
Bane is not that short.

https://www.click2houston.com/sports/2022/05/14/were-coming-young-grizzlies-promise-after-semifinal-loss/

3rd pic in article. He's eye to eye with Steph. If he's taller than 6'2" it's not by much. He conveniently didn't get measured at the combine

damn, well, if BBR says it...TIL Steph is 6'5"
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,439

Post#185 » by DaddyCool19 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:31 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/mikecheck-morants-response-brooks-return-set-scene-as-grizzlies-rockets-shifts-to-memphis

Then there is this. Brooks was at the combine and was measured at 6'5 without shoes. I could see Bane at around 6'4ish without shoes (6'5 in shoes) but 6'2 seems like a bit too short.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#186 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 5:33 am

Catchall wrote:Off the cuff, here are a few standouts I saw (before the data was pulled) :

Knecht measured well both in terms of height and wingspan, giving him hope of becoming a positional defender one day. He shot the lights out and tested well with his max vertical.

Edey looked like his mobility might make him a reasonable drop big in the league. I don't know if his performance in mobility deals will scale into on-court performance at NBA speed, but he's going to get workouts from teams in the late lotto to mid-1st round.

Kel'el Ware measured well and performed well in drills. On paper, he looks like a starter-caliber prospect.

I think Reed Sheppard may have slouched on his standing reach to boost his max vertical. I don't know why he'd do that though. His reach is more important than his vert. He reminded people what kind of shooter he is.

Carlton Carrington tested well across the board and probably boosted his draft range to mid-late 1st round.

Buzelis measured well at ~6'9" w/o shoes.

Ron Holland also measured well at ~6'7" w/o shoes. He may be able to play 2 - 4. His shooting is rocky at best though.

Devin Carter was at or near the top of the athletic testing.

Ulrich Chomche measured at 6'10.25" w/o shoes, putting to rest concerns from the measurement debacle at the Hoop Summit.

Concerns about Reed Sheppard were of his height, wingspan and athleticism to handle playing defense at the next level. Reach isn't something teams care about from guards as much as centers. Wingspan is the measurement they care about as it affects the ability to disrupt passing lanes and dribbling. So Reed (and so many other supposed athletically challenged prospects) chose to sacrifice reach in order to get a more impressive vertical. And it worked. Casuals are buzzing about this fake number. Now people aren't paying attention to his height and wingspan as much. Nobody cares about his reach.

To cheat the system they simply don't roll their scapula up. This can account for about 4-6 inches in vertical. Reed is actually a really good leaper and has a realistic 36-38 inch vertical but 42!! Wow, now Reed is an amazing athlete that can overcome his height and wingspan!
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,636

Post#187 » by JRoy » Tue May 14, 2024 5:46 am

FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:

Lol, that’s a good point.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#188 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 5:58 am

DaddyCool19 wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:
JRoy wrote:

https://www.nba.com/grizzlies/news/mikecheck-morants-response-brooks-return-set-scene-as-grizzlies-rockets-shifts-to-memphis

Then there is this. Brooks was at the combine and was measured at 6'5 without shoes. I could see Bane at around 6'4ish without shoes (6'5 in shoes) but 6'2 seems like a bit too short.

lol I can't be reasoned with when it comes to these "official" numbers. I've been watching ball too long and too much to ignore what my eyes are telling me. Bane, Brooks, Allen and Ja shared the floor. Allen was measured at 6'3" without shoes at the combine.

https://media.gettyimages.com/id/1232349110/photo/memphis-grizzlies-v-chicago-bulls.jpg?s=1024x1024&w=gi&k=20&c=OaoNvZdbQ1wSN3b-5CFG2pOCV2cnFqp6tgMFitjCqTE=

tell me that Allen doesn't look the same height as Bane (if not taller). This is now two photos of Bane standing next to guys we know are much shorter than 6'5" so I refuse to believe he's anywhere near that.

Brooks' combine measurements seem suspect to me because of his wingspan and height WITH sneakers being 6'6". So he owns the only pair of sneakers that has just a 1" lift? And if you saw his hairstyle at the combine (he and others wear it like this for a reason and it's always the guys that need that added height...hmmm) it's easy to see where an extra inch came from. His wingspan (most NBA athletes have a wingspan noticeably longer than their height) suggest he's in that sub 6'4" range.

but it's a moot point. We'll never know and neither of us will ever be convinced otherwise I'm sure. My point was, those PGs and Bane a SG, don't have great size or wingspan for their position imo and these things get overblown a lot because guys with these same flaws are starters and even stars in today's NBA so while it does matter it isn't a death sentence.
FrodoBaggins
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,270

Post#189 » by FrodoBaggins » Tue May 14, 2024 6:44 am

Is Edey the combine GOAT? His lane agility time may have secured him a late lottery selection.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man

Post#190 » by FarBeyondDriven » Tue May 14, 2024 9:43 am

I see a lot of talk about guy's shooting forms and in particular the slower releases displayed by many today and how the good results are misleading since they won't be shooting like that in games. Most of these guys have reworked shots after working with shooting coaches. The fact that they now have repeatable forms with good rotation, albeit slow, is huge because it means there's potential and they're putting in the work. As they get reps with this new form and gain confidence the release times will get better.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,863

Post#191 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 14, 2024 12:22 pm

Really impressed with Castle’s shooting.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#192 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue May 14, 2024 2:01 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
clyde21 wrote:super close measurables

Alex Sarr
6’11.75”
224.2 lbs
7’4.25” wingspan
9’2” standing reach
37” vert

Kel’el Ware
6’11.75”
230 lbs
7’4.5” wingspan
9’4.5” standing reach
36” vert

If there weren't questions about Ware's motor, he would have went around the same place Lively went last year. He is going to have that dog him until he utilizes his immense physical gifts unfortunately.

considering his production this past season, are the questions about his motor even entirely fair?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 13,695

Post#193 » by Chuck Everett » Tue May 14, 2024 2:11 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:
clyde21 wrote:super close measurables

Alex Sarr
6’11.75”
224.2 lbs
7’4.25” wingspan
9’2” standing reach
37” vert

Kel’el Ware
6’11.75”
230 lbs
7’4.5” wingspan
9’4.5” standing reach
36” vert

If there weren't questions about Ware's motor, he would have went around the same place Lively went last year. He is going to have that dog him until he utilizes his immense physical gifts unfortunately.

considering his production this past season, are the questions about his motor even entirely fair?

Indiana fans who watched him all season wondered how he wasn't first team all-Big Ten, so I will cede to them on that. I know he was a disappointment at Oregon. The kid's tape I saw in high school made him look like Lively in terms speed and size. However, Lively's motor has him looking (to me) like a future DPOY candidate. Ware's defensive numbers were worse than senior year Trayce Jackson-Davis (who is three years older than him).

If I was New Orleans and he was avail with my pick, I would take him. Heck if I was OKC, I would also take him. But his motor would still concern me.
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#194 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue May 14, 2024 2:28 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
Chuck Everett wrote:

Indiana fans who watched him all season wondered how he wasn't first team all-Big Ten, so I will cede to them on that. I know he was a disappointment at Oregon. The kid's tape I saw in high school made him look like Lively in terms speed and size. However, Lively's motor has him looking (to me) like a future DPOY candidate. Ware's defensive numbers were worse than senior year Trayce Jackson-Davis (who is three years older than him).

If I was New Orleans and he was avail with my pick, I would take him. Heck if I was OKC, I would also take him. But his motor would still concern me.

ftr, i agree that there are questions - i've been watching him since HS and i think the questions have been valid. at the same time at a certain point i do think folks need to give the guy credit for what he did this past year at indiana and admit that perhaps he's answered some of those questions - speaking generally, not directed at you.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,416

Post#195 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 14, 2024 3:19 pm

The difference between Kel’el Ware and other players is this:

Read on Twitter
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,545

Post#196 » by Pattycakes » Tue May 14, 2024 3:35 pm

ItsDanger wrote:The difference between Kel’el Ware and other players is this:

Read on Twitter

The ability to fall over towards a given direction?
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,480

Post#197 » by Big J » Tue May 14, 2024 5:10 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=dt-3BGo7zmnJPmZPCxWbow[/x]

[x]
Read on Twitter

Bronny has been the biggest story of the combine. How come no one here is talking about him?
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#198 » by SeattleJazzFan » Tue May 14, 2024 5:14 pm

Big J wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter

[x]
Read on Twitter

Bronny has been the biggest story of the combine. How come no one here is talking about him?

because basketball is played 5 on 5 and defense is a thing.

we all knew he could run and jump and make open shots in an empty gym.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 918

Post#199 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue May 14, 2024 5:15 pm

Big J wrote:[x]
Read on Twitter

[x]
Read on Twitter

He averaged 5 PPG on 35% shooting in college and is a PG who can't dribble.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,860

Post#200 » by Jcool0 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:17 pm

Big J wrote:

If he was Johnny Smith he would be a non story. Its his name not what he did.

Return to NBA Draft