Kyle Filipowski

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,160

Re: Kyle Filipowski 

Post#21 » by FarBeyondDriven » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:00 am

I caught Duke's first officiated scrimmage and he looks leaner, quicker and more explosive. He's moving his feet better on defense and even took some guys off the dribble. It appears he has raised his game which should improve his draft stock. I think he's a very similar prospect to Markkanen and Love. I'd be shocked if he isn't a Player of the Year finalist.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,242

Post#22 » by EvanZ » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:50 pm

Flip might be top 5 for me. Brutal draft year imo.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,168

Post#23 » by The-Power » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:Flip might be top 5 for me. Brutal draft year imo.

What's his NBA role and who does he compare to?
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,426

Post#24 » by Hal14 » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:08 pm

The-Power wrote:

Offense: this is where most of his value is..and it's mainly due to his versatility. You can give it to him in the low post. He can pick and pop and shoot the 3. He can set a screen and then roll to the rim and score efficiently or pass to the open teammate out of the short roll. Give it to him at the elbows, let him face up and attack off the bounce. He'll get tip-ins, put-backs. He can run DHO, handle the ball out beyond the 3 pt line, be a connective passer, etc.

He's not gonna be your primary scorer..and probably not your #2. But I could see him developing into a solid 3rd/4th option and get you around 15 PPG..

Defense: Not his strength. You just hope that he holds his own on D, can switch on the perimeter a little bit and offer a little bit of secondary rim protection, kind of like Olynyk or Markannen
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#25 » by EvanZ » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:48 pm

The-Power wrote:

Lauri is the obvious comp. Not sure there's a better one. Flip's offensive skillset for his size at this age is impressive. Like I wish the Warriors had him lol. Would be the perfect weapon there.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,672

Post#26 » by azcatz11 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:47 pm

EvanZ wrote:
The-Power wrote:

Lauri is the obvious comp. Not sure there's a better one. Flip's offensive skillset for his size at this age is impressive. Like I wish the Warriors had him lol. Would be the perfect weapon there.

Lauri is a way better athlete than Flip.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,055

Post#27 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:03 pm

Kyle is a hard guy to project. I think he is closer to a Mo Wagner than Lauri.

I was thinking Raef - but Kyle is nothin like him on defense (Raef was such a great shotblocker before the injuries). Kleber doesnt have the in-between game on offense Kyle has - and is a better defender (Especially switching).

So I keep coming back to a better Mo Wagner - a offensive first guy that can score at all 3 levels but has warts that prevent him from becoming a starter. FWIW - I think Mo is quite underrated and one of the better bench bigs in the NBA.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#28 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:00 pm

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
The-Power wrote:What's his NBA role and who does he compare to?

Lauri is a way better athlete than Flip.

Eh, not to my eyes.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,055

Post#29 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:02 pm

Lauri and Kyle may be similar in explosive athleticism but Lauri has much better fluidity of movement IMO.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#30 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:04 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Lauri and Kyle may be similar in explosive athleticism but Lauri has much better fluidity of movement IMO.

Yeah, I mean people have different eyes. I think Flip is as fluid as Lauri based on what I've seen. Flip is also a much more advanced ball handler at this age compared to what Lauri was.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#31 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:06 pm

Lauri had 20 dunks in 2017. Flip already has 9 in just a few games. He only had 19 last season probably because he was blocked down low by Lively and Young.
The-Power
General Manager

Post#32 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:03 pm

I don't think total number of dunks is a valid measure for athleticism. For instance, Lauri had 111 dunks last season in the NBA – 11.2% of FGA. In 2019, he only had 31 dunks – 4% of FGA. Even if we take the other years, Lauri has never been above 10% in any other season and never totaled more than 63 dunks (Rookie season). That's not primarily due to differences in athleticism but role (and sample size).

Markkanen is also a pretty impressive athlete overall. There are not many players at his size who have both the explosiveness to do things like this...

... while also moving around the perimeter and playing at the SF position on both ends like he did in Cleveland.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#33 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:45 pm

The-Power wrote:I don't think total number of dunks is a valid measure for athleticism. For instance, Lauri had 111 dunks last season in the NBA – 11.2% of FGA. In 2019, he only had 31 dunks – 4% of FGA. Even if we take the other years, Lauri has never been above 10% in any other season and never totaled more than 63 dunks (Rookie season). That's not primarily due to differences in athleticism but role (and sample size).

Markkanen is also a pretty impressive athlete overall. There are not many players at his size who have both the explosiveness to do things like this...

... while also moving around the perimeter and playing at the SF position on both ends like he did in Cleveland.

But he was never actually a good SF…
The-Power
General Manager

Post#34 » by The-Power » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:50 pm

EvanZ wrote:
The-Power wrote:I don't think total number of dunks is a valid measure for athleticism. For instance, Lauri had 111 dunks last season in the NBA – 11.2% of FGA. In 2019, he only had 31 dunks – 4% of FGA. Even if we take the other years, Lauri has never been above 10% in any other season and never totaled more than 63 dunks (Rookie season). That's not primarily due to differences in athleticism but role (and sample size).

But he was never actually a good SF…

He was a very solid NBA player who Cavaliers fans really liked when he played SF. Not many players his size could pull that off.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#35 » by EvanZ » Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:19 pm

Like I said before, to my eyes they are similar athletes. Not enough difference that it's the main concern I would have about Flip translating to the next level.
azcatz11
RealGM

Post#36 » by azcatz11 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:12 am

EvanZ wrote:Like I said before, to my eyes they are similar athletes. Not enough difference that it's the main concern I would have about Flip translating to the next level.

If they were similar athletes he’d be much higher on draft projections. He’s currently projected mid first right?
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#37 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:23 am

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:Like I said before, to my eyes they are similar athletes. Not enough difference that it's the main concern I would have about Flip translating to the next level.

If they were similar athletes he’d be much higher on draft projections. He’s currently projected mid first right?

I don’t care? Lol as if “draft projections” matter

azcatz11
RealGM

Post#38 » by azcatz11 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:36 am

EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

So where is Flip on your Big Board? If you think they are similar athletes you should have him top 5.
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#39 » by EvanZ » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:39 am

azcatz11 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:

So where is Flip on your Big Board? If you think they are similar athletes you should have him top 5.

Why don't you scroll up a bit to the part where I said he's top 5 for me LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,571

Post#40 » by BigGargamel » Fri Dec 1, 2023 11:25 pm

I have Filipowski as my first true center off the board. I like him a bit more than Ware or Clingan. I don't really see the Markkanen comparison. I don't really know of a great comparison off the top of my head. Bobby Portis is probably the best I've seen in this thread. He's a good athlete, can score in a variety of ways and he's working hard to improve his defense. I'd take him in the 9-14 range, I think he'll be a decent starting center for a while. He'd be nice on the Thunder, who might have a couple of picks around that area.

Return to NBA Draft