Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,314

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2061 » by Hal14 » Thu May 9, 2024 7:35 pm

amcoolio wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:seeing DiVincenzo and Hart being elite role players should provide talent evaluators floors for guys like Sheppard and Castle. Both seem at minimum capable of becoming those types of players imo. They're both better prospects than they were by far. Collier is without a doubt a better prospect than Brunson was. Dillingham is a better prospect than Maxey was. See a trend? You are all way too hard on this draft class. I just don't get how you can't see it.

Castle cannot shoot. Not only that, he has a slow, low release. Cannot for the life of me figure out why he's a top 8 pick. He's Fultz with less explosiveness and shot making. A guy that you are like...okay, he's somewhat useful but ultimately trying to replace down the line

Idk, he's more in that Josh Hart/Bruce Brown / Lu Dort type of mold, imo.. In a class this weak at the top, I can see taking someone like that as high as like 7 or 8..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,003

Post#2062 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu May 9, 2024 7:44 pm

Hal14 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
FarBeyondDriven wrote:seeing DiVincenzo and Hart being elite role players should provide talent evaluators floors for guys like Sheppard and Castle. Both seem at minimum capable of becoming those types of players imo. They're both better prospects than they were by far. Collier is without a doubt a better prospect than Brunson was. Dillingham is a better prospect than Maxey was. See a trend? You are all way too hard on this draft class. I just don't get how you can't see it.

Castle cannot shoot. Not only that, he has a slow, low release. Cannot for the life of me figure out why he's a top 8 pick. He's Fultz with less explosiveness and shot making. A guy that you are like...okay, he's somewhat useful but ultimately trying to replace down the line

Idk, he's more in that Josh Hart/Bruce Brown / Lu Dort type of mold, imo.. In a class this weak at the top, I can see taking someone like that as high as like 7 or 8..

Isnt Castle like way less built than all 3 of those guys?

His frame reminds me more of Delon Wright (Who I also have as his NBA middle level outcome).

All 3 of the guys you mentioned are quite well built for guards (Especially Dort who is like a fullback).
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#2063 » by Catchall » Thu May 9, 2024 11:57 pm

Both Castle and Clingan are being overrated by draft sites due to recency bias. At best, they're top 10 - 15 prospects.

Thanks for listening.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,083

Post#2064 » by FarBeyondDriven » Fri May 10, 2024 12:44 am

amcoolio wrote:

yet he's still a better prospect coming into the NBA than the guys I mentioned. That's my point. Nobody thought much of most of these guys. And now with some development and usage they're all major contributors on playoff teams. These lesser prospects than Castle have done it so why can't Castle who is the better prospect?

Maxey was a 29% shooter from three at Kentucky. I bet you if you asked all the haters on here if they'd take Maxey #1 in this year's draft they'd all say yes. Yet Dillingham, who is a better prospect than Maxey, is in this draft and they think it's a weak draft class. It's all such laughable nonsense.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#2065 » by Hal14 » Fri May 10, 2024 1:48 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

Isnt Castle like way less built than all 3 of those guys?

His frame reminds me more of Delon Wright (Who I also have as his NBA middle level outcome).

All 3 of the guys you mentioned are quite well built for guards (Especially Dort who is like a fullback).

Well Castle is also only like 19 yrs old. He'll get bigger/stronger over time.

And he plays with toughness/physicality, has a high number of dunks, good FG% at the rim, good rebound % so I don't think strength/physicality is much of an issue.

He's also taller than all of those guys (wright included).

And strength wasn't really the reason why I was comparing him to those guys - moreso play style, impact, role, etc.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Rustyman
Junior
And1: 320

Post#2066 » by Rustyman » Fri May 10, 2024 1:48 am

In response to some posters suggesting that the Spurs should draft Castle/Holland/Dillingham, the key needs for the Spurs are shooting and playmaking so here is my draft board for the Spurs:

1. Risacher - Shooting and size at the 3 and someone who can complement Wemby.
2. Sarr - Most potential in the draft and some work required to integrate with Wemby but too many tools not to like.
3. Topic - Highest potential PG to fit next to Wemby. Don't expect him to start until 2nd half of season
4. Sheppard - Shooting and some PG. Fit next to Wemby.
5. Buzelis - Same reasons as Risacher but a lesser prospect.

My reasons for not wanting Castle/Holland is that they are tweeners and non-shooters.

Dillingham is my biggest question mark though as I feel he could be the best scorer in the entire draft but I question his fit next to Wemby. Small scoring guards seem to do best in teams where they are the featured scorer. That will never happen on the Spurs.
tester551
Assistant Coach
And1: 858

Post#2067 » by tester551 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:33 am

Catchall wrote:Both Castle and Clingan are being overrated by draft sites due to recency bias. At best, they're top 10 - 15 prospects.

Thanks for listening.

Agree on Clingan.
I can see a path that Castle is worthy of a 4-6 pick
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,326

Post#2068 » by Catchall » Fri May 10, 2024 2:51 am

tester551 wrote:
Catchall wrote:Both Castle and Clingan are being overrated by draft sites due to recency bias. At best, they're top 10 - 15 prospects.

Thanks for listening.

Agree on Clingan.

I see Castle as a defensive 2/3 who isn't skilled enough to be a lead initiator and is not just a poor shooter, but also a reluctant shooter. His ability to bully smaller guards and create for himself in the mid-range won't translate well to the NBA. Unless/until the shooting comes together for him, he's likely a backup on a playoff-competitive team.

A team can draft guys like Devin Carter or Kyshawn George and know they're getting a 2-way player with less risk.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,804

Post#2069 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 3:05 am

Dillingham is probably going to be the guy in this draft. The fact that he's probably the most talented scorer in this draft and the ball will be in his hands as a pg will probably translate to a star imo.

Im seriously debating if we should move LaMelo to sg and just draft Dillingham. Kid is giving me Kyrie vibes the more I watch his highlights.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 871

Post#2070 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 10, 2024 12:59 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Dillingham is probably going to be the guy in this draft. The fact that he's probably the most talented scorer in this draft and the ball will be in his hands as a pg will probably translate to a star imo.

Im seriously debating if we should move LaMelo to sg and just draft Dillingham. Kid is giving me Kyrie vibes the more I watch his highlights.

Dillingham has the worst physical tools of any top 10 pick in the last few decades other than Trae Young and he's a good bit worse of a shooter and passer than Trae Young.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#2071 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 1:10 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:Dillingham is probably going to be the guy in this draft. The fact that he's probably the most talented scorer in this draft and the ball will be in his hands as a pg will probably translate to a star imo.

Dillingham has the worst physical tools of any top 10 pick in the last few decades other than Trae Young and he's a good bit worse of a shooter and passer than Trae Young.

You just disrespected Trae Young. How can I take you seriously?

Trae Young game was never about physicality. This basketball bro can you put the ball in the basket or not.

Cmon with these analytics and stats. Man I judge players off the eye test.

Reminds me of people trying to sell me Scoot over Brandon Miller last year. Like cmon bro watch the tape. One guy was a professional bucket getter and dropped 41 in a college game. The other was all flash no substance. People bring up stats and measurements. Just watch the tape!
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#2072 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 10, 2024 1:14 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Trae Young game was never about physicality. This basketball bro can you put the ball in the basket or not.

Reminds me of people trying to sell me Scoot over Brandon Miller last year. Like cmon bro watch the tape. One guy was a professional bucket getter and dropped 41 in a college game. The other was all flash no substance. People bring up stats and measurements. Just watch the tape!

Me drafting professional bucket getter Jimmer over guy who can do nothing but flop to the line in Jimmy Butler, this will work out well for me.

Sure, Jimmer may be super dumb and may have below average tools while Jimmy is really smart, but Jimmy can't get buckets like Jimmer. Is Butler really going to be able to flop to a historically high number of free throws in the NBA like he did in college? Doubt it.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#2073 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 1:17 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Me drafting professional bucket getter Jimmer over guy who can do nothing but flop to the line in Jimmy Butler, this will work out well for me.

Sure, Jimmer may be super dumb and may have below average tools while Jimmy is really smart, but Jimmy can't get buckets like Jimmer.
Bro you all over the place. Now you discussing Jimmer Fredette and Jimmy Butler.

Just admit you don't know Rob Dillingham. You see a small frail PG and you think he will crumble.

Talk to me after his rookie season we will see who really knows there stuff.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#2074 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri May 10, 2024 1:34 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:You just disrespected Trae Young. How can I take you seriously?

Sure, Jimmer may be super dumb and may have below average tools while Jimmy is really smart, but Jimmy can't get buckets like Jimmer.
Bro you all over the place. Now you discussing Jimmer Fredette and Jimmy Butler.

Just admit you don't know Rob Dillingham. You see a small frail PG and you think he will crumble.

........................................... Yes, it's called a called an analogy.

Jimmer was an all-time great college scorer who failed out of the NBA because his defense was so bad. Jimmy Butler was projected to be a role player at best in the NBA because all he could do in college was pass, defend, and flop to the line and Butler managed to take those three skills into a Hall of Fame career.

Dillingham's defense is so bad that if he's only Bones Hyland good at scoring and passing, he will be out of the league almost instantly because Bones Hyland is pretty much out of the league already. Dillingham needs to be as good as Trae Young on offense to have much of a role in the NBA.

Ammo and Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor also were historically skilled prospects who failed out of the NBA, largely due to their defense.

All four of these guys had tools much better than Dillingham as well.

I mean, we'll see if Dillingham can be genuinely an elite scorer and passer, but if not, he doesn't have much value.

The one thing Dillingham has going for him over those four guys is those four were pretty stupid whereas Dillingham is pretty smart on offense, but again, his tools are just so bad that he's going to have very little shot on defense.
treefi
Analyst
And1: 796

Post#2075 » by treefi » Fri May 10, 2024 1:38 pm

How do Kentucky fans feel about Reed Sheppard and Rob Dillingham in the NBA?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#2076 » by Hal14 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:01 pm

Rustyman wrote:In response to some posters suggesting that the Spurs should draft Castle/Holland/Dillingham, the key needs for the Spurs are shooting and playmaking so here is my draft board for the Spurs:

1. Risacher - Shooting and size at the 3 and someone who can complement Wemby.
2. Sarr - Most potential in the draft and some work required to integrate with Wemby but too many tools not to like.
3. Topic - Highest potential PG to fit next to Wemby. Don't expect him to start until 2nd half of season
4. Sheppard - Shooting and some PG. Fit next to Wemby.
5. Buzelis - Same reasons as Risacher but a lesser prospect.

My reasons for not wanting Castle/Holland is that they are tweeners and non-shooters.

Dillingham is my biggest question mark though as I feel he could be the best scorer in the entire draft but I question his fit next to Wemby. Small scoring guards seem to do best in teams where they are the featured scorer. That will never happen on the Spurs.

Your post seems to contradict itself.

You say the spurs biggest needs are shooting and playmaking. Risacher offers very little playmaking and the shooting is good but not great..so why would he be no. 1?

Sarr offers very little shooting or playmaking.

Buzelis has shooting and playmaking question marks, as does Holland.

The guy with the best combination of shooting and playmaking in this draft is Dillingham. YOu're reasoning for not including him in your top 5 seems a bit forced. I see no reason why Dillingham can't fit with Wemby. Does Maxey not fit with Embiid? Kemba was an all-star when he was on the same team with Tatum and Brown. Fox has played the best ball of his career on a team with another good scorer (Sabonis). Garland was an all-star after Cleveland added an elite scorer (Mitchell).

Was Steph not really good when the warriors had KD?

Was Kyrie not really good when he was LeBron's teammate?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#2077 » by Hal14 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:04 pm

Rob has a little bit of Kyrie, he's got a little bit of Steph, a little bit of Dame, a little bit of Trae, Lamelo, Garland, Kemba..

Enough flashes of those guys to be in the conversation for the number 1 pick - especially in a draft class this weak at the top.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#2078 » by Hal14 » Fri May 10, 2024 2:11 pm

Catchall wrote:
tester551 wrote:

Thanks for listening.

Agree on Clingan.

I see Castle as a defensive 2/3 who isn't skilled enough to be a lead initiator and is not just a poor shooter, but also a reluctant shooter. His ability to bully smaller guards and create for himself in the mid-range won't translate well to the NBA. Unless/until the shooting comes together for him, he's likely a backup on a playoff-competitive team.

A team can draft guys like Devin Carter or Kyshawn George and know they're getting a 2-way player with less risk.

2-way player? I take it you haven't seen Kyshawn George play defense..
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#2079 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 2:14 pm

Hal14 wrote:

Rob has a little bit of Kyrie, he's got a little bit of Steph, a little bit of Dame, a little bit of Trae, Lamelo, Garland, Kemba..

Enough flashes of those guys to be in the conversation for the number 1 pick - especially in a draft class this weak at the top.

I agree and that was my point. In a weak class overall I'm looking at a guy who has the ability to create his own shot has good handles and will have the ball in his hands. It's not crazy to think he can have a big impact and be in contention for ROTY.

Even Scoot came on late and he has a broken jumpshot. This kid has way more offensive talent than Scoot. Yeah his defense is not the best, but not many players play defense in today's era of basketball. I probably would bet on this kid having the biggest impact as a rookie.
JustBuzzin
General Manager

Post#2080 » by JustBuzzin » Fri May 10, 2024 2:20 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
JustBuzzin wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

........................................... Yes, it's called a called an analogy.

Jimmer was an all-time great college scorer who failed out of the NBA because his defense was so bad. Jimmy Butler was projected to be a role player at best in the NBA because all he could do in college was pass, defend, and flop to the line and Butler managed to take those three skills into a Hall of Fame career.

Dillingham's defense is so bad that if he's only Bones Hyland good at scoring and passing, he will be out of the league almost instantly because Bones Hyland is pretty much out of the league already. Dillingham needs to be as good as Trae Young on offense to have much of a role in the NBA.

Ammo and Jabari Parker and Jahlil Okafor also were historically skilled prospects who failed out of the NBA, largely due to their defense.

All four of these guys had tools much better than Dillingham as well.

I mean, we'll see if Dillingham can be genuinely an elite scorer and passer, but if not, he doesn't have much value.

The one thing Dillingham has going for him over those four guys is those four were pretty stupid whereas Dillingham is pretty smart on offense, but again, his tools are just so bad that he's going to have very little shot on defense.

Not many pg's play defense in general. This is a different era of basketball players are mostly all offense. Curry wasn't a good defender how did that work out for him?

You can still be successful while be a poor defender. Lou Williams might go down as the best 6th man in NBA history and we all know he played no defense. Jamal Crawford another guy.

I can see Dillingham having that kind of career. In a weak draft getting a player like that would be a steal. Nobody saying he will be superstar. I just like his chances to have the most impact right away because the ball will be in his hands a lot and he's a gifted scorer.

Just curious who's top 5 on your draft board?

Return to NBA Draft