Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#2141 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 15, 2024 6:59 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Little surprised at the lack of James Wiseman comparisons to Sarr.

-Both have elite size and speed, but highly questionable explosion
-Neither can rebound due to questionable toughness, strength, and hands
-Both just hung on the perimeter before the NBA despite being very bad at shooting and dribbling

Sarr is a better prospect than Wiseman (who always sucked and should have been like late lottery) because he has better lateral quickness and a better defensive IQ, but there's tons of similarities here.

Also pretty similar to Nerlens Noel with more strength and slightly better hands, but significantly less explosion. Noel's BBIQ never improved in the NBA so Sarr could end up being a lot better if he develops normally.

I think a fair question to ask is what makes Sarr significantly better than Ware. The measurables and athleticism are essentially identical. It's hard to compare production due to Big10 vs Australia, but in terms of their size, athleticism, skill set, etc, i don't see much real separation. If anything Ware probably shows a bit more potential as a shooter.

Uhh, Ware would be in contention for top 3 if he didn't supposedly hate basketball.

This is like pulling up Bol Bol's stats and measurements and going "why isn't this guy in the top 3???"

Sarr is also an elite perimeter defender.

sounds like you agree with me. cool.

has he ever said he hates basketball? have his coaches or teammates ever said that? he certainly didn't play like a guy who hates basketball this season.

i guess if we say a guy hates basketball often enough, maybe it becomes fact.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 951

Post#2142 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 15, 2024 7:02 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
I think a fair question to ask is what makes Sarr significantly better than Ware. The measurables and athleticism are essentially identical. It's hard to compare production due to Big10 vs Australia, but in terms of their size, athleticism, skill set, etc, i don't see much real separation. If anything Ware probably shows a bit more potential as a shooter.

Uhh, Ware would be in contention for top 3 if he didn't supposedly hate basketball.

This is like pulling up Bol Bol's stats and measurements and going "why isn't this guy in the top 3???"

has he ever said he hates basketball? have his coaches or teammates ever said that? he certainly didn't play like a guy who hates basketball this season.

We'll see in a month or so!
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,434

Post#2143 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed May 15, 2024 7:07 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

We'll see in a month or so!

we'll see in a few years.

i'm not arguing Ware will be a top 3 pick, rather i'm arguing that perhaps either he SHOULD be a top three pick or perhaps Sarr SHOULDN'T be a top 3 pick. I think we may see in a few years that these two are much closer than where they are slotted in the draft.
azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,827

Post#2144 » by azcatz11 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:32 pm

Maybe bronny can be a backup PG. He just hit a couple free throws. Looks composed
lastb1ckman
Junior
And1: 288

Post#2145 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 7:47 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Maybe bronny can be a backup PG. He just hit a couple free throws. Looks composed

Is the interest in Bronny here from him as a prospect or just from Lebron possibly coming with him? Cause there's atleast 3 2nd round picks I'd take at pg who actually produced at the collegiate level and didn't go into cardiac arrest a year ago.
KJ Simpson, Juan Nunez, Ajay Mitchell, etc.
lastb1ckman
Junior

Post#2146 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 7:53 pm

Like, do people actually think Bronny is going to be good in the NBA?
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 7,405

Post#2147 » by JustBuzzin » Wed May 15, 2024 7:56 pm

Is there a reason Kyshawn George isn't in the top 10 discussion.

I'm watching this kid he's 6'8 can handle and shoot. The only real weakness I see his game is explosion, but 2 of the top 3 players in basketball play under the rim with Jokic and Luka.

What am I missing with George?
BigGargamel
Analyst
And1: 6,667

Post#2148 » by BigGargamel » Wed May 15, 2024 7:59 pm

lastb1ckman wrote:Like, do people actually think Bronny is going to be good in the NBA?

The casual worlds of Twitter and Facebook say that the Hawks should draft Bronny and sign his dad with zero hint of sarcasm. I can't stand it. :lol:
BigGargamel
Analyst

Post#2149 » by BigGargamel » Wed May 15, 2024 8:02 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Is there a reason Kyshawn George isn't in the top 10 discussion.

I'm watching this kid he's 6'8 can handle and shoot. The only real weakness I see his game is explosion, but 2 of the top 3 players in basketball play under the rim with Jokic and Luka.

23 minutes per game, not huge counting stats and the Hurricanes stunk. Guys like that just get held back when it comes to where they are picked. Which sometimes backfires (Dereck Lively) but is usually accurate.

For some reason, the bias is you have to play minutes and produce in college, but if you're overseas, they forgive guys who don't play minutes.
BigGargamel
Analyst

Post#2150 » by BigGargamel » Wed May 15, 2024 8:03 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:

Apparently, from another thread, a random 3000 view YouTube podcast duo said he hates basketball so that's fact now. :lol:
lastb1ckman
Junior

Post#2151 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 8:12 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Is there a reason Kyshawn George isn't in the top 10 discussion.

It comes down to the level of offense he brings. Those two are two of the most talent offensive players ever. Also Luka controls his body and changes directions like no other.
lastb1ckman
Junior

Post#2152 » by lastb1ckman » Wed May 15, 2024 8:21 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Apparently, from another thread, a random 3000 view YouTube podcast duo said he hates basketball so that's fact now. :lol:

I mean it's not a fact, but a lot of these scouts have been following these players around the world for years. They see them in person, talk to them, and are watching them at the combine as we speak. They can be wrong, but they probably have more intel on players than any of us. That's why I want to see if any other scouts have heard the opposite about Ware, so we have more evidence that he's reformed and put in the effort to succeed at the next level.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,311

Post#2153 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:27 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
they are pretty useless to us but for people on the ground at the combine they are useful to see how players interact with coaches/each other.

There is always a standout or two that rises to late 1st or early 2nd from this, too. I've only watched the second scrimmage so far, don't think that guy was there, but liked several players (Michael Ayayi was the most interesting to me).

Re: weak class/classes, 2022 was a pretty strong class outside of no clear #1 prospect. I still stand by my comment that there were 4 players you'd be thrilled to take 2nd in any draft but no clear #1. 2020 seemed rather weak to me and that was clearly wrong. Sometimes drafts just have guys that are less polished coming out. That could be the case here, but I don't quite see the same pool of talent. I think it is a below average draft because the top is weak, e.g. Sarr I think I would have between 5 and 7 last year (admittedly, last year was very good, I'd be comfortable with Sarr as probably the third pick in an average draft - whatever that is).

I’m old enough to vividly remember the 2014 draft and all the hype surrounding - going in it was viewed as one of the best drafts in 30 years and arguably the best of the century.

It produced Embiid, which is great, but beyond that - Wiggins was frustrating, Jabari a huge bust, Exum out of the league, and the likes of Aaron Gordon and Randle took a long time to become good. Lavine is probably the 5th best player from the draft which is fine, but not great. Shockingly the actual best player was a 41st pick from Serbia during a Taco Bell commercial.

It was a good draft but the hype was far far more than the actual quality. So it can go both ways.

i mean yea, not all players develop linearly, there could be a bunch of guys who are maybe a year late in their development and they can take off in the league, and vice versa

but all that is irrelevant...all we can do is draft based on the info and data we have today, and by almost every metric it is a bad class...doesn't mean there won't be good or useful players but from pure talent perspective it's not up to par.

it's a perfect class to take random swings in hoping you'd pull a Giannis or a Gobert, imo, and I wouldn't fault any team for taking these types of swings as early as #4 or #5
clyde21
RealGM

Post#2154 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:33 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Little surprised at the lack of James Wiseman comparisons to Sarr.

-Both have elite size and speed, but highly questionable explosion
-Neither can rebound due to questionable toughness, strength, and hands
-Both just hung on the perimeter before the NBA despite being very bad at shooting and dribbling

Sarr is a better prospect than Wiseman (who always sucked and should have been like late lottery) because he has better lateral quickness and a better defensive IQ, but there's tons of similarities here.

Also pretty similar to Nerlens Noel with more strength and slightly better hands, but significantly less explosion. Noel's BBIQ never improved in the NBA so Sarr could end up being a lot better if he develops normally.

in his class Bol Bol was well worth a gamble in the top 5-8 and I wouldn't hold it against a team if they chose to take that gamble on Ware in that range in this class.
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,473

Post#2155 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed May 15, 2024 8:40 pm

Luka and Jokic play under the rim but they still pressure the rim. George doesn't get to the rim and struggles to finish when he does. His ballhandling is fine for a wing but I am unsure if he's ever a secondary or tertiary playmaker.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#2156 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:41 pm

honestly this talk about Ware "hating basketball" is ridiculous to me

maybe he does, maybe he doesn't

but what we do know is that he was a top 15 RSCI guy, who's now been productive at not one but two different colleges/systems, who also just tested off the charts in the combine.

for a guy who 'hates basketball' he seems to be doing everything right. i'd hate to see what happens when he started liking basketball.
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#2157 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 15, 2024 8:42 pm

clyde21 wrote:honestly this talk about Ware "hating basketball" is ridiculous to me

but what we do know is that he was a top 15 RSCI guy, who's now been productive at not one but two different colleges/systems, who also just tested off the charts in the combine.

for a guy who 'hates basketball' he seems to be doing everything right. i'd hate to see what happens when he started liking basketball.

Was he better than Bol Bol at any age?

Ware also got 16 MPG in one of his colleges...
2weekswithpay
Starter
And1: 1,473

Post#2158 » by 2weekswithpay » Wed May 15, 2024 8:50 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
SeattleJazzFan wrote:

Quote from Ware's highschool coach. Article

North Little Rock head coach Johnny Rice is fine with his big man’s silence, he just wanted him to listen better. For three years, Rice has tried to convince Ware that with the right work ethic, he could be one of the best players in the country.

“About a year ago before the state tournament I sat him down and said, ‘Lel, if you play with a motor, you could make life-changing money for you and your family.’ He said, ‘What do you mean life-changing?” I said, ‘You will make money that changes your life but your mom and dad’s and brothers’ and sisters'. That is what you can do if you really want it.’”

I wouldn't go as far as saying he hates basketball but he certainly feels like a guy who only plays basketball because he's tall.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#2159 » by clyde21 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:58 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
clyde21 wrote:honestly this talk about Ware "hating basketball" is ridiculous to me

no, Bol Bol was a freak, he averaged 21/10/3 as a freshmen. not sure how many other freshmen ever averaged these numbers (albeit small sample size)

not sure what that has to do with anything
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man

Post#2160 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed May 15, 2024 9:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

no, Bol Bol was a freak, he averaged 21/10/3 as a freshmen. not sure how many other freshmen ever averaged these numbers (albeit small sample size)

not sure what that has to do with anything

I used Bol Bol as a comparison because Bol Bol should be a superstar based on his tools and skills and instead he's a fringe NBA player because he refuses to play hard or work out, lol.

He averaged 21/10/3 while putting in zero effort and scouts were a lot more concerned about the zero effort part, he dropped to the mid second round, and proved none of them wrong.

Return to NBA Draft