Cam Whitmore

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,456

Re: Cam Whitmore 

Post#261 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:27 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Did we ever get the reasoning for the drop? Was it medical or was it something else?

I agree its too early to count your chickens on this. But he is looking exactly like what many expected and why he was viewed by most as a top 5-7 pick.

Evan said it was both medical and other red flags. For him to drop as far as he did I have to assume the medical ones were significant.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#262 » by JMAC3 » Thu Feb 1, 2024 9:43 pm

K_chile22 wrote:
Wizop wrote:rumors right after the draft had the Pacers trying to trade up to take him but no deal was available

Not even a rumor, GM flat out said it
“I can assure you we tried as hard as we possibly could on that one,” Buchanan answered when asked if they considered trading up for Whitmore. “We called basically from about pick 10 and down until his name came off the board. It was a frantic room trying to be aggressive to move up into that range. Unfortunately it takes two teams to tango and most teams had their guy and did not want to move. We were very aggressive trying to move up last night.”

This is when I wish the offers got leaked, because how aggressive could these offer be for 10 teams to turn them down. I mean c'mon. Especially when it was contenders like Lakers, Heat, Warriors who probably would of loved more future draft picks to toss into trades.

Anyways Cam has been super efficient, I think Houston has a really good nucleus of young guys and older guys right now that is a really good environment for him. I think some of his red flags that were there before the draft will show their hand more over time but yeah he has been awesome for where they got him and I think I had him like 6th on my draft board so no shock to see he is a real NBA player.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
elias808
Junior
And1: 316

Post#263 » by elias808 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:48 am

The talent was always there. The medical history is what freaked teams out.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,378

Post#264 » by CptCrunch » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:18 am

Medical may only have been one part.

The main issue was that there is no comp for him, of someone suceeding his assist rate and negative assist to turnover ratio.

Really talented black hole was/is his ceiling. Black holes are called third options when they suceed.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,059

Post#265 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:30 am

CptCrunch wrote:Medical may only have been one part.

The main issue was that there is no comp for him, of someone suceeding his assist rate and negative assist to turnover ratio.

Really talented black hole was/is his ceiling. Black holes are called third options when they suceed.

I mean Jaylen Brown was a pretty easy comp. Similar size, both great athletes. Brown also had a negative assist to turnover ratio at Cal.
JMAC3
RealGM
And1: 4,276

Post#266 » by JMAC3 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:02 pm

I think the difference between him and Brown were the reputation though. Brown was an astronaut basically and known to be a crazy hard worker and competitor. Basically the opposite of what we have heard from Whitmore.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#267 » by CptCrunch » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:09 pm

And many didn't think Brown would be good/as good as he turned out. Brown indeed had a cerebral reputation. Even if he had a low suppoed basketball IQ, people thought he was smart academically/intellectually thus coachable.

While attending UC Berkeley, Brown studied magnet chemistry taking a master-level class during his first semester at Berkeley’s Cultural Studies of Sport in Education. One of the best members of the Berkeley Chess team, he also achieved a level of fluency in Spanish, declaring that it was his intention to learn three more languages before turning 25 years old. Brown has made it evident that basketball is merely one of his many interests; he has also focused on studying history, meditation, and philosophy. His ambitions go beyond basketball and he has been criticized as being “too smart” to play in the NBA. In 2016, CBA ran an article urging the NBA not to overlook Brown “simply because he was intelligent.” This concern turned out to be unwarranted as Brown was chosen during the first round of the NBA draft as pick #3.
CptCrunch
Assistant Coach

Post#268 » by CptCrunch » Sat Feb 3, 2024 3:16 am

Anyways Whitmore is going ballistic right now.

Reminds of when he was the best plyaer on the team USA Fiba U18 tourney.
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#269 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:23 am

I think some should man up, fess up and admit Dean On Draft took a huge dump on Cam Whitmore. He's a fraud.
It has been written...
MasterIchiro
RealGM
And1: 5,399

Post#270 » by MasterIchiro » Sat Feb 3, 2024 4:31 am

Where are you Dean dupes? Where o where art thee? Speak up!
It has been written...

Return to NBA Draft